How could I not like Stormcasts...

Never have been a fan of them. Don't like the greco-roman style armor or the masks. The fact that they can't fully die is also destroys any sense of suspense or care for what happens to them in battle. The models are also way too big scale wise. They just come off extremely dull compared to their 40k counterparts. 

Personal opinion of course. If you like them more power to you. 

Wasn't convinced a year ago, but they grew on me, and now I'm surrounded by the little guys. I'm not a fan of the standard non-helmed heads and given my time over I would have swapped these for something else. They're pretty cool. Being GOLD on release didn't help them in the early hate battle.

15 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

I'm enjoying painting mine more than anything since Moonclan.  Such a treat.  A rare combo of lots of detail with ease of painting.

Yarp. Got the starter set, didn't really think I would paint them, finally decided on a paint scheme I like, thought "might as well paint them then" and... they were great to paint and really good effort to outcome ratio. Now I am looking at the range thinking "yeah, could do with a few more of those and if I had another Relictor could do some Odin type conversion, and they would rock in game, and..."

Sad case I know.

13 hours ago, UrFrndJenn said:

Never have been a fan of them. Don't like the greco-roman style armor or the masks. The fact that they can't fully die is also destroys any sense of suspense or care for what happens to them in battle. The models are also way too big scale wise. They just come off extremely dull compared to their 40k counterparts. 

Personal opinion of course. If you like them more power to you. 

They can fully die. While they usually beam back to be reforged, it's not a certain thing. There's already been several instances in the fluff where Stormcasts die and don't respawn in Azyr.

1 minute ago, AdHocGames said:

They can fully die. While they usually beam back to be reforged, it's not a certain thing. There's already been several instances in the fluff where Stormcasts die and don't respawn in Azyr.

I think as well as the idea that they may or may not die being pretty cool, the fact that if they don't there's going to be a bit less humanity everytime, I really like the idea that the most noble of warriors could be utterly ravaged to the point of being just a hollow shell of what used to be a man.

Well the stormcast that went to go see nagash they note in fury of gork that many of their souls are sundered to the point where they can't be reforged. I also recall another point where Khul permanently kills one with his axe since it can rend reality. Plus nagash can hold their souls down from going back to ayzr. Oh and Archaon's mount eat's one. 

One interesting note many stormcasts are not afraid to die for sigmar but they are afraid of the reforging effects. Many of them are frighted of changing into someone else, forgetting their friends, losing the shards of the memories of their old life. etc

One thing I know for sure it won't be chaos that will corrupt them and considering a event in a certain book/audio drama I think we might see the first corrupted stormcast. 

Y'know you see comparisons with Space Marines often but the connection, whilst pretty strong, is not due to them being copied from Space Marines. Rather, GW used an older and very popular trope for both.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EliteArmy

This trope is cool (hence popularity) and kind of ancient! Think of the Spartans. Any time you have 'horde' versus 'elite few' you're working with the kind of ideas that spawned Space Marines and Stormcast.

To be few and elite and equal against a horde you need things like (match these to the respective traits of both Stormcast and Space Marines):

• Incredible Stamina
  • Strong Constitution
  • Strength of multiple individuals
  • (those top 3 usually mean large size but that's not necessary I suppose)
  • Speed despite a herculean form
  • Superior wargear
  • Long life (or a form of immortality)
  • Every individual is worth a hero from another force

So basically, instead of it being Space Marines as a source, it's the elite army at the heart of both.

34 minutes ago, shinros said:

One thing I know for sure it won't be chaos that will corrupt them and considering a event in a certain book/audio drama I think we might see the first corrupted stormcast. 

Yeah, i'm itching to read/hear the pay off of that particular situation.

2 hours ago, AdHocGames said:

Yeah, i'm itching to read/hear the pay off of that particular situation.

Indeed, I am mewling over the fact that sigmar may of brainwashed him via the reforging when he became a stormcast after listening to lords of helstone again. 

As that vampire said "Nagash's considers him his property he will never let him go." 

Still after that event it would be interesting to see the hallowed knights mainly being led by lord relicators if I am right. Since they require people of extreme faith to lead them if my theory is correct and the outcome of that soul is what I think it is. I suspect nagash is gathering up his Mortarch's for something. 

4 hours ago, Carnelian said:

That orcternal  (should it be orrukternal? :P) is amazing! Are you going for a whole army or just an elite unit?

... Whole Army. No Prime though. That wouldn't be fluffy.

At face value many people are turned off
- Their masks make them seem hollow. People just like to look into eyes, its human nature. Masks take away humanity.
- Some people don't dig the roman theme (some people like myself work a bit to tone it down)
- Some people just hate to be the "good guys" and assume they are just cookie cutter good guys.

The fact is they are very complex and interesting. The 'sigmarine' haters are far off. Gav Thorpe, who has written books for both space marines and stormcast said, you can't think about them in the same way, they are totally different. Stormcast are very much individuals with their own motivations beyond their allegiance to sigmar. There already are many different kinds of stormcast but the flagship Hammers of Sigmar, the silver Hallowed Knights and the wild Astral Templars are most prevalent in the lore right now.

I don't understand why anyone is turned off by reforging. Undead and daemons already had this forever, now the good guys finally are up to par, but the way stormcast come back is much more complex and interesting, especially because of how much it pisses off Nagash. 

Personally I would like them to start making unique factions like they do with Space Marines. Replace the roman style with some other themes. But I don't really expect this, they are content to make factions different merely by the color of their armor. Chaos or Death Stormcast would be amazing but I don't think this is a direction they would take them in.

As for painting, you guys are crazy. Stormcast have so much details, its the hardest painting I have ever done. If you just spray them gold and paint a bit of blue, that looks nice but it cheats by blending everything into gold. I always like to take the long road and trying to make a consistent paint theme with all the contrasting details is quite hard. 

IMG_2478.JPG

On 14 July 2016 at 8:59 PM, mmimzie said:

There fantasy space marines... just wait till we have 20 different storm cast chapters. 

This I have never understood. They don't even resemble space marines even a little bit. People have been talking this way since the Stormcast release and it makes seriously no sense. They don't resemble space marines more than the Reiksguard resemble space marines...

2 hours ago, Flogger said:

This I have never understood. They don't even resemble space marines even a little bit. People have been talking this way since the Stormcast release and it makes seriously no sense. They don't resemble space marines more than the Reiksguard resemble space marines...

The paint job has more to do with that perception than anything, but GW certainly wanted a faction that fit the 'space marine' niche for AoS.

2 hours ago, Flogger said:

They resemble space marines in that:

Basicly given life by a god emporor sigmar.

Like space marines they are stupid easy to paint lending themselves to 2 color based paint schemes.

They are humans, but basicly just super powerful humans inpower armor. 

more or less they purity seals

Archived