What was 1 thing that completely changed the way you paint?

Barimbino

Whether you've been painting for 30 years or 30 days we all want to progress through our hobby and boost our artistic skill. Besides just; practice, practice, practice, what was one thing through out your hobby journey that pushed your painting skill to that next level?

I can honestly say I've benefitted alot from the gw tutorial vids. For one they help you pick colours that go well together in terms of base, wash, layer, highlight. The second thing was actually taking time to do layers instead on a single layer and move on, makes the colours more vibrant.

For me recently I'd have to say limiting my colour pallet, (number of colours used on models/army), I had collected quite a range of different colours and I used to just use whatever I wanted on each model as I went.  Now I'm limiting my pallet I'm getting a more visually cohesive look across a unit/army.

It's the normal thing to do now but the biggest thing in my history is using washes. I'm kind of amazed when I look at my old models how well I painted within the lines, but I didn't use washes at all, and they look very colouring book/kidsy. For a tabletop quality painter like me, washes helped tremendously in speeding up the process and making the actual task more enjoyable and fun. 

Digital photography. Nothing like seeing your mini's close up via a full frame DSLR on a large hi def screen to really show up all the little mistakes and glitches. Secondly CMON, nothing like being rated by your peers to humble you and know you have to keep improving,

or in-fact just digital media in general, access to painting tutorials, videos, forums, galleries, social media, sharing of ideas etc . Had none of that in the 90's, just used to copy white dwarf and the covers of boxes

19 minutes ago, Ademo said:

I can honestly say I've benefitted alot from the gw tutorial vids. For one they help you pick colours that go well together in terms of base, wash, layer, highlight. The second thing was actually taking time to do layers instead on a single layer and move on, makes the colours more vibrant.

Oh man, I'm totally a visual learner. Those videos have increased my painting so much, from layering to just how to hold a brush and lightly drybrushing a miniature.

Duncan and Emma at Warhammer TV been a total revolution for painting. Duncan's video of paint Archaon is a masterpiece that should be watched by every painter on how to get the most from the tools at your disposal.

8 minutes ago, Naishy said:

Duncan and Emma at Warhammer TV been a total revolution for painting. Duncan's video of paint Archaon is a masterpiece that should be watched by every painter on how to get the most from the tools at your disposal.

totally agree - I don't have the model or intend to, but I watched it anyway as so many of the colours/techniques are transferrable

It's a toss up between learning how to care for brushes properly so they retain their point properly or a simple trick a GW staff member demonstrated to reduce hand shake by pressing my wrists together let me work in a lot finer detail

back in the day the biggest thing that changed my painting was getting a tile to use as a palette.  I have used the same on for years.  Every DIY stores will sell them singly or even let you take one.

More recently I would say its learning to make better use of larger brushes.  I paint most things with a no3 nowadays.  

10 hours ago, Ben said:

More recently I would say its learning to make better use of larger brushes.  I paint most things with a no3 nowadays.  

I would definitely agree with this, I have three Windsor and Newton Series 7s and my No3 is the workhorse, managing to do most base coating.  I also prefer the inside out method of painting so you don't have to be too neat.

Finally Master Brush soap, I cannot recommend this enough to keep your brushes in good condition.

There's been loads over the years so quite difficult to single out one :)

Most recently it has to been some of the advice given by some of the Forge World guys during the Horus Heresy weekender.  Lots of little things, but the thing I'd single out is to put all of your unpainted miniatures out of sight because there's nothing more disheartening than spending a couple weeks painting a model or unit, admiring it then placing it on a shelf next to a load of bare plastic and resin and realising that you've barely made a dent and likely need to paint for the next decade to finish everything.

This piece of advice, combined with "getting into" AoS with models that are completely different to what I've done has meant that since the 25th May I've painted up almost 20 models (2 characters, a monster and (almost) a unit of 15), far more than I have achieved in the past for the same amount of time.  To relate it back to the "skill to the next level" part of the question - more models painted => more enthusiasm => more time spent painting => more practice => faster and then back to the beginning :D

Watching Vince Venturella's Hobby Cheating videos. Particularly the ones about undershading and glazing. I spent at least two years finishing my first warhammer army. Using under shading and glazes, I've completed two so far this year, and hope to complete another two plus finishing up another two. I'm not sure I'd say that the standard has become any better, but holy cow batman, does it go a LOT faster!

For me it was giving myself permission to deviate from the color schemes and "studio army" look of the models I saw in White Dwarf, or army books.

When I started painting with color combinations that really appealed to me, instead of trying to copy someone else's, I had more fun, it was more relaxing, and my painting really started to improve. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nuln Oil, Agrax Earthshade and Seraphim Sepia. The Holy Trinity of cheat paints in the current range.

Although another one was a very fresh looking blood technique that I was told about by an ex-staffer. (Mephiston Red, wash with Carroburg Crimson, then wash with Drakenhof Nightshade, then wash Bloodletter and finally a little bit of Ardcoat Gloss)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Archived