Legions of Nagash: The Legion of Sacrament

RuneBrush

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, LLC said:

Was not sure which thread to post this under....

I am curious about the lack of text on the nighthaunt stuff. Are hexwraiths and spirit hosts no longer a main part of a death army?? 

Nighthaunt itself got allegiance abilities within GHb17 so I think if you're running pure Nighthaunt you've a choice of that or generic Death under Legions of Nagash.  If the leaked warscrolls are correct (and every reason to think they are now), Spirit Hosts have got the Summonable keyword so will benefit from Deathly Invocation/Gravesites.  I would guess that Hex Wraiths will have it too (Black Knights do). 

The community previews stated that you can build any legion of nagash army using the range of Death units (though we're waiting clarification if this includes compendium) so you could make a Nighthaunt heavy generic Death Legions of Nagash army.

26 minutes ago, shinros said:

Yeah I am getting a feeling that our bald vampire is going to be messing with bravery. I mean his mount eats cowards. 

No he doesnt do that, but what he does do is give a hero (not him) the option to fight in the hero phase as if it was the combat phase. Or cast an additional spell in the hero phase.

Within the Blood Legion that means tons and tons of attacks from Vamp heroes :)

2 minutes ago, Killax said:

No he doesnt do that, but what he does do is give a hero (not him) the option to fight in the hero phase as if it was the combat phase. Or cast an additional spell in the hero phase.

Add that to the aforementioned additional attack for all melee weapons on vampire heroes and your VLoZD becomes a wrecking ball.

It'll remain to be seen which army traits they've made for pure soulblight. It would be weird if you ended up worse off by taking the more restrictive allegiance.

It also doesn't mention any battle line option manipulation in both legion of sacrament or blood. I guess that'll be a differentiation between soulblight vs legion of blood? Although I'd always take a few direwolves along with blood knights since they are about the best screening unit for them... So if the direwolves remain a core battle line unit, I wouldn't be too upset that legion of blood doesn't get that manipulation. 

Also, I'm in the middle of painting up 12 vargheists... So not seeing any news about them is a bit annoying.

1 hour ago, Jamopower said:

As Nagash had Morgasts and the summonable troops, Arkhan the mages and Neferata the Vampires, it would be quite logical that Manfred has the ghosts.

If i'm right you can use every model in every legion but every legion has it's own bonus on special units 

Nagash buffs skellies and morghast

Arhkan buffs magics

Neferata buffs Vampires

Manfred buffs  ??? maybe vargheist

Soulblight is not realy anything to buff

But what to make with generic death

1 hour ago, Killax said:

I think he meant Mannfred 

16 minutes ago, AthlorianStoners said:

I think he meant Mannfred 

Oh okay, well he doesn't do anything in terms of morale debuffs either :) . But basically all Soulblight (likely part of Legion of Blood) become rather scary the moment they have multiple melee attacks with this ability. Certainly including Mannfred also. 

Still he seems like a great choice also. Will offcourse boil down to points.
On that note I think it isn't completely impossible the Knights will go to 180, but I do deem it ever slightly more likely that they will be 200 or 220 points.

All cost ideas are still pure speculation at this point though.

Oh okay, well he doesn't do anything in terms of morale debuffs either :) . But basically all Soulblight (likely part of Legion of Blood) become rather scary the moment they have multiple melee attacks with this ability. Certainly including Mannfred also. 

I think it’s good odds the Legion Of Night will have Bravery based abilities and stuff, based on the terror tactics the Warhammer community associated with them. Agreed though that Vamps are intimidating with extra atatcks haha 

6 minutes ago, AthlorianStoners said:

I think it’s good odds the Legion Of Night will have Bravery based abilities and stuff, based on the terror tactics the Warhammer community associated with them. Agreed though that Vamps are intimidating with extra atatcks haha 

Well the thing is, but that's just my guess, is that I think Legion of Night will focus more on the regeneration/attrition aspects of the army. So far several banners on 'chaff' Death units seem to be equiped with the bravery debuff. 

Now I do agree that Command Traits and Artefacts who further potentially assist the general here could very well be Bravery focused. This too is a common occurance in other books afterall :) 

Well the thing is, but that's just my guess, is that I think Legion of Night will focus more on the regeneration/attrition aspects of the army. So far several banners on 'chaff' Death units seem to be equiped with the bravery debuff. 

Now I do agree that Command Traits and Artefacts who further potentially assist the general here could very well be Bravery focused. This too is a common occurance in other books afterall :) 

Ahhh yeah I can see that actually, hadn’t considered that as an option. This whole book is really interesting and I’m looking forward to it’s release, even though it does nothing for my FEC.

1 minute ago, AthlorianStoners said:

Ahhh yeah I can see that actually, hadn’t considered that as an option. This whole book is really interesting and I’m looking forward to it’s release, even though it does nothing for my FEC.

Agreed, though discussed this with a mate of mine aswell but at least several of the beasts are interesting choices for FEC.
He said that one of the issues he had with FEC is the lack of Mortal wounds and the Terrorgheist seems like a good fix for that particular issue.

Having said that though, GA Death isn't alone in showing certain Batteltome's their age allready.
While completely offtopic and very minor, in Blades of Khorne there are a handful of Warscrolls that logically lack a Keyword and quite frankly it means there isn't as much cross faction synergy as found in for example Tzeentch or Nurgle.

My best hopes is that next errata will indeed include some updates for factions like this. Though if things are costed well FEC does profit from this book at least somewhat.

20 minutes ago, Killax said:

Still he seems like a great choice also. Will offcourse boil down to points.
On that note I think it isn't completely impossible the Knights will go to 180, but I do deem it ever slightly more likely that they will be 200 or 220 points.

All cost ideas are still pure speculation at this point though.

Yup indeed meant Mannfred cause they mention at the end of the article, if you’re looking for something a little for subtle, check back tomorrow when we check out the Legion of Night, Nagash’s most potent terror weapon and the army of Mannfred Von Carstein himself…

9 hours ago, Malakithe said:

We shall see in about 12hrs what Manny can do. 

So far my ball is firmly in the court of Arkhan. It always has been though.  I always preferred a good wizard battle.

One more day of previews then Saturday...mmm Saturday...

I'm surprisingly hyped for this and LoN in general.

I've still got a lot of undead from my WHFB days and I wanted a casty army for a while now. (thought about building a fatesworn army beforehand)

The number one question for me will be, are the new spells good enough?

A substantial amount of DoT power comes from the fact that they have access to 10x arcane bolts in disguise... 

Either way, a wizard heavy army with one or two blocks of skellies would be right up my alley.

My main concerns about the Legion of Sacrament are that the spell ranges are too short, and the damage too limited, to rely on them as your primary offense, while the costs of taking multiple wizards & wizard support units will limit your ability to take strong units to buff and win that way.  At the moment, I'm leaning towards Grand Host as a result - to make our best chaff (skeletons) and best elites (morghasts) better, while adding some extra mitigation to the character dependence of the summoning rules.

I'm curious to see the rest of the spells in both lores. I think that will really showcase whether sacrament can throw out the hurt in the magic phase.

I'm wondering how nighthaunt will synergies with this list. Currently spirit hosts appear to have gained 'summonable' meaning they can be given van hels, considering how many heroes a sacrament army would want to run that means 2 units of these guys could be a strong anvil (which opponents will be wary of) even with a unbuffable and  unrendable 4+ armour save. 

The ability to pop them out of gravesites in your opponents deployment zone also means that they may be bogged down and it allows the death wizards to move into range for some blasting!

I've also noticed that mournguls don't have the ethereal rule. Instead they have a different rule which has currently been unchanged to showcase new ethereal ( it very well may be edited ) if it isn't changed though a moungul in a sacrament list could be quite painful to budge and could hold down some nasty enemy units. It won't be given the summonable keyword but it could act as a great distraction to Arkhan.

Archived