New Aelves

21 minutes ago, Menkeroth said:

Most likely, although it was said we should expect them in spring, more like april-may.

in the uk spring starts on March 1st, so a release or preorder on March 3rd is possible. I still think this is when we will see DoK, mainly because gw have not previewed another miniature range. The next three 40k books look like they are getting one miniature between them so the will probably not merit their own release week. The thousand sons  book came out alongside the second week of custodes minis. I think dok will be a 2 or 3 week release with the dark Eldar codex coming alongside a later week of the dok release. 

With the AOS open day on March 3rd, then adepticon, gama and warhammer fest all promising previews, I doubt we will get a major release that is not first announced at an event. 

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is actually an interesting little collection of pieces of lore from the latest releases and promotions. Mostly fuelling further speculation rather than telling us anything big but that's half the fun!

• We know Morathi is Queen of the Realm of Shadows but we don't know if she is queen regent or queen consort - or if these distictions mean nothing to GW! So where does Malekith fit in? He is god of shadow but I can't see Morathi being subservient to her son.

• There is an interesting line in Malign Portents (pp 33) "In shadowy Ulgu, masses of skeletons clamber on top of each other to form bony columns that claw at the winged aelves in the gloom above." This suggests to me that a LOT of the aelves in Ulgu have wings. I mean, if there's aelves running around on the ground you don't bother forming towers of skeletons to get the few winged ones, you go after the ones the can't fly and you shoot arrows at the flying ones.

Its a good job they teased the DoK before MP got released or the internet would have gone nuts at "winged aelves".

• Then in Legions of Nagash we learn that Tyrion and Malekith (GW may have had to change his name because Disney said so but I don't have to do what Disney says) are extracting all the aelf souls consumed by Slaanesh - and that Morathi is "helping" but is also sorting through them and skimming a few off on the side.

The naming of Morathi's base of power in Ulgu in the Valentines poem - Hagg Nar - which is very reminiscent of Nagarothi place names, might indicate that Morathi is keen to stay true to her Dark Elf roots. Maybe all the souls she is stealing are those of the old dark elf race in the old world? OR maybe she is taking the ones who have been transformed by Slaanesh like she has? I'm not sure. Morathi is super vain and it would be very much like her to go "I gotta look like a snake? you ALL gotta look like a snake!" so maybe she is altering the form of the souls herself as she brings them back to corporeal form... That piece of the puzzle could be important for the other elf factions. If Morathis is doing it then the other elves might just look like elves but if it happens while they are held by slaanesh they could look like anything!

Who knows. Just some wild speculation I though I woul share :)

21 minutes ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

There is actually an interesting little collection of pieces of lore from the latest releases and promotions. Mostly fuelling further speculation rather than telling us anything big but that's half the fun!

• We know Morathi is Queen of the Realm of Shadows but we don't know if she is queen regent or queen consort - or if these distictions mean nothing to GW! So where does Malekith fit in? He is god of shadow but I can't see Morathi being subservient to her son.

• There is an interesting line in Malign Portents (pp 33) "In shadowy Ulgu, masses of skeletons clamber on top of each other to form bony columns that claw at the winged aelves in the gloom above." This suggests to me that a LOT of the aelves in Ulgu have wings. I mean, if there's aelves running around on the ground you don't bother forming towers of skeletons to get the few winged ones, you go after the ones the can't fly and you shoot arrows at the flying ones.

Its a good job they teased the DoK before MP got released or the internet would have gone nuts at "winged aelves".

• Then in Legions of Nagash we learn that Tyrion and Malekith (GW may have had to change his name because Disney said so but I don't have to do what Disney says) are extracting all the aelf souls consumed by Slaanesh - and that Morathi is "helping" but is also sorting through them and skimming a few off on the side.

The naming of Morathi's base of power in Ulgu in the Valentines poem - Hagg Nar - which is very reminiscent of Nagarothi place names, might indicate that Morathi is keen to stay true to her Dark Elf roots. Maybe all the souls she is stealing are those of the old dark elf race in the old world? OR maybe she is taking the ones who have been transformed by Slaanesh like she has? I'm not sure. Morathi is super vain and it would be very much like her to go "I gotta look like a snake? you ALL gotta look like a snake!" so maybe she is altering the form of the souls herself as she brings them back to corporeal form... That piece of the puzzle could be important for the other elf factions. If Morathis is doing it then the other elves might just look like elves but if it happens while they are held by slaanesh they could look like anything!

Who knows. Just some wild speculation I though I woul share :)

Hey Twitch! I thought I wouldn't spoil to much (and @Menkeroth is even much deeper into the narrative) but here are some aspects you might not have read into for the points you made.

1. Malekith is now Malerion (again I don't want to spoil too much) but Malerion and Morathi have a mutual agreement to work together. This has been extremely efficient for them aswell. They have been able to kill all intruders that set foot in the Realm of Shadows.

2. Absolutely there are, two different flying harpy units confirmed. These harpies are clearly more Aelven as ever before in terms of GW design. :D And yes GW doesn't want to spoil everything too quickly haha! I deem it 100% likely that these harpies will be Battleline for the army and as such they have a good selection of Batteline units to choose from like most newer Allegiances.

3. I have a really good feeling you are onto something ;) As before I deem it very likely that the end of this year will be paired with new Slaanesh releases. From a narrative design perspective I deem it very likely that at the end of MP Slaanesh will be released. What we see is that the wanting for more is likely the influence of Slaanesh. Logical also because there is a good reason to not keep a Chaos God in your non-Chaos realm for too long ;) 
I continue to deem it very likely that Stormcast are immume to Chaos' influences but pretty much everything ported from the WFB world would be logically easier to be influences, like was the case for the End Times...

Some other lore tid-bits that hint into Slaanesh reaching our would be:
image.png.b2986070eb3e481eca0e5e4cee100c
swiggy.jpg.ebe66a5d45d172928772593077ed2

Certainly feel free to chat about it ;) 

@Killax I'm just being petulant with the Malekith thing. I know he became Malerion. I also know they only changed his name because Marvel had a character called Malekith back in the 80's they were going to use in a film and GW had a small legal argument with Disney about who "owned" the name. Out of court as far as I know.

Sometimes its annoying that so many aspects of the GW universe are driven  by copyright/trademark law instead of whats "cool".

Thanks for the pointers to the other bits - I did read the chaos gods sections - Slaanesh's greatest fear - boredom,  is brilliant. 

Didn't pay much attention to the "vainest soul that ever existed" though. Who is it? :D  I will go explore the "Lets Chat Slaanesh" Thread.

I guess it could be more about Disney protecting their IP then GW. 

After all they can't copywright Tyrion and he is still Tyrion even though they tried to change him into Aestyrion in ET.

Magnificent Mirror could be about Bel'akor , as there could be Araloth kindgdom floating somewhere. 

6 hours ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

Maybe all the souls she is stealing are those of the old dark elf race in the old world?

To a soul it wouldn't matter, if it was dark/high/wood, in its form it's unburdened by mortal identifications. Once it's in a body, it's far easier to manipulate it into "you are that or this". I doubt Morathi had the strength to be picky either.

so maybe she is altering the form of the souls herself as she brings them back to corporeal form... That piece of the puzzle could be important for the other elf factions.

I pointed this out in some other topic. The Incarnates might be fiddling with the "original" physiology. It has very Mistborn flavor, something I very much approve. It's easier to make some changes to the bodies to adapt them to a different climate/food, rather than making climate suitable for you. Less noticeable as well.

As to what exactly are Gorgons. Curse, blessing, curse disguised as a blessing, multiple scenarios, all rather interesting to learn.

19 hours ago, Tiger said:

To a soul it wouldn't matter, if it was dark/high/wood, in its form it's unburdened by mortal identifications

Whats this based on? I haven't read anything where GW really went into the nature of souls? Not suggesting your idea is any less probable than mine but I would be interested if they had actually written something about it somewhere?

The fact that Aelf souls are different from other souls suggests they retain some kind of individuality/identity to me. 

Spirit hosts are described as "These are the souls of the damned, stripped of body and identity, and they scream endlessly for the life they have lost." this indicates that a soul does have some "personality" based on its mortal experiences that could shape its non-corporeal existence.

Although the elves are the same species they were seperate cultures for thousands of years so I don't think its much of a stretch to assume they could be distinguishable in soul form.

I will have to check out Mistborn - been meaning to read those books for a while!

On 15/02/2018 at 12:40 PM, DantePQ said:

I guess it could be more about Disney protecting their IP then GW. 

Yeah I wondered the same thing. Its usually the big dog going after the small dog in these cases. 

5 hours ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

The fact that Aelf souls are different from other souls suggests they retain some kind of individuality/identity to me. 

To put it simply, death would offer a different perspective to the cycle the soul went through and it thought it was or is.

I will have to check out Mistborn - been meaning to read those books for a while!

All of them are a wonderful reading, although the Stormlight archive surpasses them in my view.

On 2/15/2018 at 5:14 AM, Twitch of Izalith said:

@Killax I'm just being petulant with the Malekith thing. I know he became Malerion. I also know they only changed his name because Marvel had a character called Malekith back in the 80's they were going to use in a film and GW had a small legal argument with Disney about who "owned" the name. Out of court as far as I know.

Sometimes its annoying that so many aspects of the GW universe are driven  by copyright/trademark law instead of whats "cool".

Thanks for the pointers to the other bits - I did read the chaos gods sections - Slaanesh's greatest fear - boredom,  is brilliant. 

Didn't pay much attention to the "vainest soul that ever existed" though. Who is it? :D  I will go explore the "Lets Chat Slaanesh" Thread.

There was no conflict between Disney and GW about Malekith. While they share names and are both Dark Elves, there had never been a conflict before and it was unlikely to start soon. GW it appears felt that it would be best to change the name as Disney is not somthing they are capable of bullying or winning against. And decided not to risk coming to blows with Disney over Malekith.

Given that he is still called that in rereleased Old World lore and Total War Warhammer it's appears it was just paranoia and Disney would not have done anything. 

1 minute ago, Sete said:

If we have Seaelfs in march I hope it's just right in time for my birthday ?

I got info from guy I didn't know last summer (but I am very well known HE WFB players for years in my country and was asking about AoS Aelves on Facebook groups) that 2 Aelves armies will b released back to back during or around global campaign I din't believe it then as I didn't now that poster/player at all. But I guess he could be right. I have that conversation printscreen somewhere so I need to look it up. 

15 hours ago, HorticulusTGA said:

So now we have confirmation by Temouloun / Haechi that the shipwreck scenery is linked to the Sea-Atlante Aelves release, it does quite confirm his/her previous rumor that we'll see the Daughter of Khaine and then Sea Aelves between March (April) and May (early June) ............. :D:D

I have a bit of a hard time making sense of that. Won't releasing two aelf factions back to back like that cannibalize the sales?

For example, I was almost certain I would invest in the new DoK range, until this rumour started gaining traction with the latest tease. Now I am going to wait and see, which means a lost opportunity for GW.

Niiiiice.

Reminds me of the Arena Rex Euryale.  With a bit of GoW: Ascension gorgons mixed in, then a large sprinkle of Bloodwrack Medusa and Coven Throne vampiresses on top.

The only reason this is not on top of my wishlist is because I could use the wrecked ship kit for several things, this only for DoK.

1 minute ago, Charles said:

Are there still other new units coming? 

Or is it just the new mega snake queen models?

From the preview article:

There’s also a richly realised set of rules designed to bring the Daughters of Khaine to life tactically, offering new ways to build your army under the auspices of particular strongholds of the cults, new units like the Melusai and the Khinerai, allegiance abilities, spell lores and much more besides.

My emphasis added.

Archived