Why does Nurgle not like the Horned Rat and other fluff related questions

The path of the dicussion started to become a lot broader quickly, so I thought I`d retitle the thread and keep the topic open for all kinds of fluff related questions. The initial question that started the topic was "Why does Nurgle not like the Horned Rat":

As far as I know the Pantheon of Chaos Gods seemingly exists of six entities now (Khorne, Tzeentch, Slaanesh, Nurgle, Archaon, Horned Rat). But other than that I kind of have trouble to grasp any of the newer fluff so far. On WarOfSigmar I`ve read that the new Nurgle battletome has plenty of background in it and it was stated that Nurgle does not like the Horned Rat. Why is that? Can someone give a bit insight on this?

Thanks and kr

Dino

22 minutes ago, DinoTitanedition said:

So how come they dislike each other if they are actually doing the same? I also wonder if the plaguemonks actually worship the Horned Rat or Nurgle and if this interferes with the general belief of the Skaven in the Horned Rat.

Not read the new background yet but I imagine it's all about how for Nurgle its about the twisted cycle of life and death he loves. So it's all about planting the seed of some new plague plant (probably using a pus filled head), watching it grow and infect things around it, wither and die and then start all over again. For the Horned Rat, it's all about the destruction of everything where Skaven can probably rule in the mess afterwards. Nurgle hates this as there is no chance of anything new coming about in the end. 

9 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

Does anyone in the Chaos Pantheon like another member of it? Each Chaosgod dislikes it if one of the others is successful.

And is Archaon really part of that Pantheon? I thought he is the champion of the gods.

The gods will work together when it suits them but due to their natures, they can't but help dislike each other. For example, Khorne hates Tzeentch as his scheming and magic are against Khorne's twisted warrior code (although Khorne seems happy to sort of scheme if it means he can have a big battle and lots of skulls, or using magic if it makes a cool sword or can enhance his warriors). Khorne also hates Slaanesh as he's just plain weird and isn't a fan of Nurgle because he is content to mess around infecting mortals rather than chopping their heads off. 

As for Archaon, he is the 'champion' of the Gods although I see him as a champion in the loosest of words as he is using them to get what he wants, just as they are using him. 

2 hours ago, DinoTitanedition said:

So how come they dislike each other if they are actually doing the same? I also wonder if the plaguemonks actually worship the Horned Rat or Nurgle and if this interferes with the general belief of the Skaven in the Horned Rat.

In the case of all Chaos gods it's put there to make a narrative reason as to why the whole world isn't run down by Chaos (again). Like Skaven have their non-cooperative clans, Orks have their animosity and Chaos has it's hatred for each other. 

For Mortals and Skaven we have seen several times that worshipping multiple at the same time is no real issue, as long as you work toward the goal of both. Archaon got very far this way. Offcourse it is difficult to always do this but this is also why GW has made some Chaos gods very capable to cooperate. The Ally system reflects this in AoS but it also boils down to each Chaos god basically having 1 Chaos god they kind of respect, 1 they use for own goals and 1 they absolutely hate. The Horned God is a new god so we don't exactly know how he'll fit in but I'm quite certain it's not too difficult to see Slaanesh disliking the Horned God and Tzeentch even being a fan of this massive change.

2 hours ago, EMMachine said:

Does anyone in the Chaos Pantheon like another member of it? Each Chaosgod dislikes it if one of the others is successful.

And is Archaon really part of that Pantheon? I thought he is the champion of the gods.

Not really is indeed the awnser to your first question. Which isn't to say they cannot cooperate but only do so if it's needed. What the AoS lore hints to in many cases is that Khorne goes about his own ways (full war with everyone) just before the encounter with Stormcast. Which sparked his interest and likely was one of the first few reasons to consider allegiances again. Indeed each Chaos God dislikes each other but each Chaos God can also find a common cause. As mentioned though cooperation only excists when a god plans to better himself. This is also why Slaanesh is still captured. It's not like the other Chaos Gods couldn't change that but in reality it wouldn't better them when the Dark Prince is released.

When we look at the past of Archaon we see that Be'lakor has offered 'help' to become part of the Chaos pantheon. As far as I know Archaon refused this help eventually because he knows he would become a Undivided outcast like Be'lakor has become. Perhaps Archaon will come back on it but it is unlikely. Older WFB lore also mentions that Archaon was offered daemonhood several times by the many Chaos gods but he refused to do this. It's very likely Archaon knows that once he would become a Daemon Prince like that he would then be one with the domain of the Chaos Gods. It would basically strip him of his free will.

In my opinion the cool thing about the Chaos concept from Games Workshop is that it's all quite ego-centric. From the Chaos Gods to Archaon, only to better one person above all is what GW basically decided as the evil nature of the Chaos Champions. In the end what defines evil is that they care only forthemselves within GW's universe. This is also seen with the Primarchs who choose to follow a path of the Chaos Gods. They did so to remain important as an individual rather to become part of the mass created Emperor armies. It's strongl hinted within Archaons older lore that he resents Sigmar and because of that choose to follow the path of the individual within Chaos. It could even be said that he destroyed the old world to face Sigmar himself, which didn't show up at that event at all. In my opinion this only enraged Archaon further because he views his 'protection of humankind' as a lie. 

The Great Corruptor is the aspect of the Great Horned Rat that the clans Pestilens worship - they do NOT worship Nurgle. I suppose they get the Nurgle keyword for functionality in the game more than anything else.

The Great Corruptor is all about seeing things wither away.  If everything else is gone, he is the most powerful.   Nurgle wants life to flourish (and in a nurturing, parent-like way) as long as he is the overlord of it.  Things only die so there can be a cycle of regrowth. They are actually quite different, but their methods overlap quite a bit so they can be allies at times.  

36 minutes ago, Riavan said:

Slaneesh isn't part of the pantheon anymore right?

No Slaanesh is still there but missing. His/Her/It's followers are out looking for Slaanesh (although some aren't and trying to claim power). Suspect this will tie into the storyline for what will happen with Aelfs when we see them

2 hours ago, Killax said:

When we look at the past of Archaon we see that Be'lakor has offered 'help' to become part of the Chaos pantheon. As far as I know Archaon refused this help eventually because he knows he would become a Undivided outcast like Be'lakor has become.

Where did Be'lakor offer to do this? In Rob Sanders' Black Library Archaon novels Be'lakor's MO after 'siring' Archaon is to engineer his destiny to become the Everchosen in order to possesses him and steal his body once he's got the Crown of Domination on his head (it's implied in the second novel that he's hedged his bets and done this multiple times bets with an unknown number of aspiring Everchosen on the go at the same time as Archaon), and you can't possess a god/daemon. In earlier WFB background Be'lakor was just the guy forced to crown Archaon, and while he was obviously resentful didn't have too much interaction with him otherwise.

Older WFB lore also mentions that Archaon was offered daemonhood several times by the many Chaos gods but he refused to do this. It's very likely Archaon knows that once he would become a Daemon Prince like that he would then be one with the domain of the Chaos Gods. It would basically strip him of his free will.

I might be completely wrong on this as I missed most of 7th edition WFB, but I'm pretty sure that the reasons for Archaon not ascending to daemonhood were more heavily implied than outright stated (much like Abbadon's in 40k). Also worth noting that regardless of what Archaon might or might not have wanted he was probably much more useful to the Chaos Powers as a mortal champion than a daemon prince, as a daemon prince would have a hard time staying in/travelling the material world collecting the requisite treasures to become the Everchosen/start the apocalypse. (There was also that weird period a few years back where GW decided that non-Be'lakor undivided daemon princes didn't exist in WFB or 40k, but it's obviously bunk now).

It's strongl hinted within Archaons older lore that he resents Sigmar and because of that choose to follow the path of the individual within Chaos.

Archaon's motivations for wanting to end the world have moved around a bit over the years but they all come down to some form of nihilism. Tuomas Pirinen's described his original Archaon as wanting to end the world and then fall on his sword after doing it; the Storm of Chaos/Liber Chaotica era Archaon wanted to drown the world in Chaos after coming to terms with the great truth that all the gods and everything inbetween descended from Chaos; and Rob Sanders' Archaon had been touched by and put on a path by Chaos from birth, and piously fought against until Sigmar did nothing to help him, pushing to embrace the destiny that had been set out for him. Not too sure what individualism has to do with any of these.

It could even be said that he destroyed the old world to face Sigmar himself, which didn't show up at that event at all. In my opinion this only enraged Archaon further because he views his 'protection of humankind' as a lie. 

In End Times: Archaon, Archaon was in firm denial of Sigmar's existence until the very nth hour, yelling at Teclis that he didn't exist even while the incarnates' armies were tearing up Middenheim.

5 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

The gods will work together when it suits them but due to their natures, they can't but help dislike each other. For example, Khorne hates Tzeentch as his scheming and magic are against Khorne's twisted warrior code (although Khorne seems happy to sort of scheme if it means he can have a big battle and lots of skulls, or using magic if it makes a cool sword or can enhance his warriors). Khorne also hates Slaanesh as he's just plain weird and isn't a fan of Nurgle because he is content to mess around infecting mortals rather than chopping their heads off. 

As for Archaon, he is the 'champion' of the Gods although I see him as a champion in the loosest of words as he is using them to get what he wants, just as they are using him. 

I think there was also the point that Tzeentch and Nurgle don't like each other because Tzeentch stands for 'Change' while Nurgle is more a form of 'Stagnation'

34 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

I might be completely wrong on this as I missed most of 7th edition WFB, but I'm pretty sure that the reasons for Archaon not ascending to daemonhood were more heavily implied than outright stated (much like Abbadon's in 40k). Also worth noting that regardless of what Archaon might or might not have wanted he was probably much more useful to the Chaos Powers as a mortal champion than a daemon prince, as a daemon prince would have a hard time staying in/travelling the material world collecting the requisite treasures to become the Everchosen/start the apocalypse. (There was also that weird period a few years back where GW decided that non-Be'lakor undivided daemon princes didn't exist in WFB or 40k, but it's obviously bunk now).

I think the point with Archaon, not ascending into deamonhood was mentioned in the Realmgate Wars. To ascend he has to choose a chaosgod, but then this god has control. As long he doesn't choose a god he is free.

@Double Misfire, if I recall correctly this part of Archaon and Be'lakor offering him other options was mentioned in the Archaon book and first suggested in the Storm of Chaos expansion book for WFB. As I recently put all the WFB related books I have to the attic I can't specify exactly where it's stated. I do agree with you that it's more hinted. It could even be one of those short stories from the WD announcing the Storm of Chaos, which is at my parents home.

When I look at the paths champions of chaos thake I see this as a purely choice of an individual and only the strongest actually archieve what they want, with Archaon being the only succesful 'Chosen one' to actually claim this goal. The prime reason why Archaon became what he became was mentioned in 5th I believe, where he indeed left the temples dedicated to Sigmar because he saw that word as a lie. Wether this was changed during 7th or 8th I don't know.

My point is that every mayor power in AoS Chaos cares largely/only for himself. Which was true in WFB also. What I dissagree with you is that Archaon is a nihilist or his motivation comes from that. Instead I believe he is just an avatar of what happens when all Chaos gods do unite under one banner. Since 5th Archaon was pretty much set up to destroy the world and his defeat in 6th's Storm of Chaos suprisingly didn't remove him from this path. I honestly couldn't tell you what happened after that because I found it frankly quite unbelievable that a failed quest for the Chosen Chaos champion would be rewarded instead of being punished ;) 

But cool as that whole topic is in itself, it has very little to do with the Horned god and his relation to Nurgle.

51 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

I think there was also the point that Tzeentch and Nurgle don't like each other because Tzeentch stands for 'Change' while Nurgle is more a form of 'Stagnation'

Tzeench is also about hope (of change) while Nurgle is rather extreme nihilism or something that gets joyous kick of seeing people losing hope in life and/or themselves . There's a greater daemon of Tzeench in Nurgle's garden as punishment of attempting to whisper words of hope to the followers of Nurgle.

Horned Rat and Nurgle can manifest similar powers, however their philosophy as well as choosing of their followers differs.

Chaos gods essentially can never really get along because their goals while similar are all diametrically opposed,

Nurgle wishes despair to engulf the world with acceptance of the never ending cycle of life, death and rebirth that he propagates.

The Horned Rat wishes all things to turn to ruin, it would see the world as a barren wasteland devoid of life except for his verminous children.

Clan Pestilens are am example of how chaos gods work together, as in they both try to use each other. Pestilens will work with Nurgle because they desire more knowledge of disease and contagion, but their ultimate goal is plagues that will strip the world of life. Nurgle will work with Pestilens because their vast numbers bolster his own forces with disposable cannon fodder and warmachines. Neither share the same objective but they seek to use the other to further their own goals.

Was it was stated before Nurgle is Decay followed by Renewal, the Great Horned Rat is Decay without Renewal.

Archaon is not a Chaos Gods, he is just the most powerful of all their champions. He might be a demigod through. The Pantheon of the Dark Gods only has 5 members right now.

Clans Pestilens worship the Great Corrupter, an Aspect of the Great Horned Rat.

4 hours ago, Killax said:

@Double Misfire, if I recall correctly this part of Archaon and Be'lakor offering him other options was mentioned in the Archaon book and first suggested in the Storm of Chaos expansion book for WFB. As I recently put all the WFB related books I have to the attic I can't specify exactly where it's stated. I do agree with you that it's more hinted. It could even be one of those short stories from the WD announcing the Storm of Chaos, which is at my parents home.

Hey Killax, Happy New Year!

Thanks for  citing sources. I've just checked out the White Dwarf in question and Storm of Chaos, which compresses the same story. Archaon faces four trials (one for each of the Chaos Gods) at the First Shrine to Chaos ahead of claiming the Crown of Domination; the trial set before him by Tzeentch involves being tempted by visions of power and conquest, and Slaanesh offers Archaon a throne by his side and eternal gratification, both of which could be interpreted as offers of daemonhood, but Be'lakor is only ever the resentful guy who puts the crown on Archaon's head. Archaon and Be'lakor have never had a particularly developed or familiar relationship before or outside of the two Archaon novels by Rob Sanders.

I haven't read it in full since it first came out a few years ago, but I've had a quick ctrl+f for "Be'lakor", "daemon prince", "deamonhood", "ascend" and "offer" through the epub of Archaon: Lord of Chaos by Rob Sanders and haven't been able to find anything regarding Be'lakor offering him daemonhood. As an aside, would Be'lakor even be able to elevate mortals to daemonhood? He's only a very powerful daemon prince himself and not a full blown minor Chaos God (though the line between the two is probably pretty blured).

6 hours ago, EMMachine said:

I think the point with Archaon, not ascending into deamonhood was mentioned in the Realmgate Wars. To ascend he has to choose a chaosgod, but then this god has control. As long he doesn't choose a god he is free.

I think I can remember reading something about that around the time of the current Archaon model's release, though I can't remember if it was in the big Realmgate Wars books or the Everchosen battletome. Do you remember which one it reappeared in so I don't have to go through a load of massive hardback books to find it? Clarification on Chaos champions choosing not to ascend is pretty few and far between so I'd be really interested to reread it. (There are plenty of named Chaos champions in AoS and 40k who  really should have ascended to daemonhood by now - Kharn, the Glottkin ect).  :) 

In other off topic, Archaon related news, skimming through old WFB books made me realise that the new Archaon model has a load of design nods to the original 5th edition Archaon mini as well as the Brian Nelson one everyone knows and loves, which  I'd never spotted before and is really a neat touch:

Mr8PAlk.jpg

3 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

I think I can remember reading something about that around the time of the current Archaon model's release, though I can't remember if it was in the big Realmgate Wars books or the Everchosen battletome. Do you remember which one it reappeared in so I don't have to go through a load of massive hardback books to find it? Clarification on Chaos champions choosing not to ascend is pretty few and far between so I'd be really interested to reread it. (There are plenty of named Chaos champions in AoS and 40k who  really should have ascended to daemonhood by now - Kharn, the Glottkin etc)

Actually I haven't read Everchosen yet, but if I remember correctly Archaon was first introduced during "Balance of Power". But it could also be that this part we are searching for was in "Godbeasts".

Thanks to all for the clarification on the relationship between Nurgle and the Horned Rat. Maybe the admin can change the title to:

"Why does Nurgle not like the Horned Rat and other chaotic questions"

as the discussion is taking a broader but yet interesting path. About Archaon being a chaosgod...I came to that assumption as Nagash is constantly referenced as the god of the dead, but in lore he started out simply as sorcerer and has grown into his role. I see the same thing here with Archaon. He is as mentioned earlier kind of an avatar of undivided chaos, inhereting a portion of every chaos god. There also seems to be an emerging scheme: the chaos gods do what helps them, they make use of other gods if it does, they offered Archaon a state of demon prince. To me that seems to be a measure to make sure Archaon does not outgrow one of the chaosgods. With Slaanesh even offering him to sit right at his side, but Archaon being the one who kind of outlived Slaaneshs rule, as he was captured, this seems to support the assumtion.

But what sticks most is the comparison to Nagash I think. Has Alarielle also always been a god and is she now? Same question for Teclis or Malekith. They have all grown into that status I believe. If I take a look at the Everchosen now, he does seem to expand the Pantheon of Chaos quite well as a god of undivided chaos. One of the earlier armybooks....hell it`s been a while since I read those....also stated that Hashut is a chaosgod, just a bit lesser than the formerly "four big ones". This implies that the Pantheon is actually numbered beyond my assumed six major gods.

Any thoughts on that?

IIRC it always was because Nurgle wants the cycle: Death begets Life which begets Death; his decay is to bring about new life (twisted as it might be).  The GHR wants just decay and rot, nothing else, so they share mutual goals but the end result is different.  However I admit I always thought Pestilens worshipped Nurgle (I mean, in WHFB the leader of Clan Pestilens was named "Nurglitch" which is one of Nurgle's names in Realm of Chaos) but it's more... they might be persuaded to join a Nurgle army for a mutual goal.

as the discussion is taking a broader but yet interesting path. About Archaon being a chaosgod...I came to that assumption as Nagash is constantly referenced as the god of the dead, but in lore he started out simply as sorcerer and has grown into his role.

There are multiple routes to godhood. The most reliable appear to be to either be an incarnate of one of the winds of magic or to "merge" with the essence of an existing god.

Nagash has done both. He has devoured multiple god's (and goddesses') essences and he was the incarnate of the Winds of Death.

I recall reading that Nagash has taken on some of the aspects of the Gods he has devoured, so there might be some side-effects to swallowing/merging other gods into your being (namely you lose a bit of your agency/free will).

I see the same thing here with Archaon. He is as mentioned earlier kind of an avatar of undivided chaos, inhereting a portion of every chaos god. There also seems to be an emerging scheme: the chaos gods do what helps them, they make use of other gods if it does, they offered Archaon a state of demon prince. To me that seems to be a measure to make sure Archaon does not outgrow one of the chaosgods. With Slaanesh even offering him to sit right at his side, but Archaon being the one who kind of outlived Slaaneshs rule, as he was captured, this seems to support the assumtion.

Archaon was never an incarnate, nor has he devoured any God's essences.  Either he's never had the opportunity to steal a god's powers, or he has passed on every opportunity.

But what sticks most is the comparison to Nagash I think. Has Alarielle also always been a god and is she now? Same question for Teclis or Malekith. They have all grown into that status I believe. If I take a look at the Everchosen now, he does seem to expand the Pantheon of Chaos quite well as a god of undivided chaos. One of the earlier armybooks....hell it`s been a while since I read those....also stated that Hashut is a chaosgod, just a bit lesser than the formerly "four big ones". This implies that the Pantheon is actually numbered beyond my assumed six major gods.

Any thoughts on that?

Alarielle was the Incarnate of Life, she also merged with the Wood Goddess Ariel (consort of Orion and an Avatar of Isha) during the End Times. As Everqueen of the High Elves, she was also the representative of Isha (the Earth Mother). So she's always been holy/chosen, but became a god as her story progressed.

Teclis is not a god, he's the most power Hoeth Loremaster of the High Elves. Comparable to the old Slaan in power level (I'd guess). He's also the twin of Tyrion, and they are psychicly connected somehow. Tyrion is a god. He was resurrected by his brother and forced into being the Incarnate of Light. 

Malekith is also a god. He was the Incarnate of Shadow. He was also the rightful Pheonix King which made him the earthly representative of Asuryan (iirc).

It's not clear if Hashut should be counted as a God or just some daemon prince with delusions of grandeur.

The gods (and goddesses) in the Old World (World that Was) tended to never show their faces. Only Ariel/Isha and Orion/Kurnoth walked amongst their people (although during the End Times, you find out avatars of Vaul and some of the other High Elf gods have been hiding out with the Wood or High Elves). 

Thanks to all for the clarification on the relationship between Nurgle and the Horned Rat. Maybe the admin can change the title to:

"Why does Nurgle not like the Horned Rat and other chaotic questions"

as the discussion is taking a broader but yet interesting path. About Archaon being a chaosgod...I came to that assumption as Nagash is constantly referenced as the god of the dead, but in lore he started out simply as sorcerer and has grown into his role. I see the same thing here with Archaon. He is as mentioned earlier kind of an avatar of undivided chaos, inhereting a portion of every chaos god. There also seems to be an emerging scheme: the chaos gods do what helps them, they make use of other gods if it does, they offered Archaon a state of demon prince. To me that seems to be a measure to make sure Archaon does not outgrow one of the chaosgods. With Slaanesh even offering him to sit right at his side, but Archaon being the one who kind of outlived Slaaneshs rule, as he was captured, this seems to support the assumtion.

Any thoughts on that?

Tyrion, Tecles, Alarielle and Malekith were all mortal Elves unil end of the entimes. Even Sigmar started as a mortal human uniting the old empire, but was worshiped as a god later. 

42 minutes ago, wayniac said:

IIRC it always was because Nurgle wants the cycle: Death begets Life which begets Death; his decay is to bring about new life (twisted as it might be).  The GHR wants just decay and rot, nothing else, so they share mutual goals but the end result is different.  However I admit I always thought Pestilens worshipped Nurgle (I mean, in WHFB the leader of Clan Pestilens was named "Nurglitch" which is one of Nurgle's names in Realm of Chaos) but it's more... they might be persuaded to join a Nurgle army for a mutual goal.

Don't know if Nurglitsch was "the leader" or "a leader" but he was part of the lustria campaign in 6. Edition.

Archived