Malign Portents

Will Myers

20 minutes ago, robinlvalentine said:

More likely teasing the next 'season' of Shadespire, right? Seeing as we've likely already seen the next two warbands

Could also be to do with Slaanesh, as I believe a recent map showed that Shadespire was weirdly close to where Slaanesh is imprisoned. If he/she breaks out, what does that mean for the city? 

This seems very likely and I'd be surprised if the Nighthaunt battletome doesn't also have some references to Shadespire, it's all about those souls and the metaphysics of immortality.

But on the Slaanesh thing specifically... I took the malevolent presence watching him to be Nagash and the creature that reached out of the glass to be some sort of Nighthaunt. But it's actually rather low-key for Nagash; no amethyst fire, no cold feeling of the grave, no giant ****** skull in the sky made out of clouds. Maybe imprisoned Slaanesh's wandering eye?

The creature has 'long limbs clad in grey rags that squirmed like snakes', multiple arms, multiple refracting eyes, a sort of predatory demeanour. All this could certainly fit a malicious nighthaunt entity flickering through several mirrors/mirror-realms but maybe something more daemonic?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mortarch of grief has been revealed on the community page

UKExpo-June1-Nighthaunt9wc.jpg

There’s a whole spirit host of new models on the way. The Nighthaunt army is led by three named characters – here’s a first look at one:

Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King, is one of the named champions who leads Nagash’s Nighthaunt legions. Serving at the side of his master, the Mortarch of Grief, this arch-plotter and schemer is an incredibly astute – if embittered and cruel – commander. He’s also not afraid to smash some Stormcast skulls with that mace…

1 hour ago, ZaelART said:

The penant and horn give me a Bretonnian vibe.

Probably won't gonne happen, but somehow it would be cool if the mortach turns out to be the lady of the lake and the Ghost on Pegasus is the green Knight *muhahahahahahaha* 

4 minutes ago, Bloodmaster said:

Probably won't gonne happen, but somehow it would be cool if the mortach turns out to be the lady of the lake and the Ghost on Pegasus is the green Knight *muhahahahahahaha* 

That would be incredible.... INCREDIBLE.

6 minutes ago, Bloodmaster said:

https://malignportents.com/story/sacrosanct/

not a bad story, now I am wondering if whe might see an army of lightning-gheists

I quite enjoyed that. For me it's setting things up for the future and a nice dangling story thread. I think we all know that the pride and arrogance about the reforgings means somethings will go very very wrong.

21 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

I quite enjoyed that. For me it's setting things up for the future and a nice dangling story thread. I think we all know that the pride and arrogance about the reforgings means somethings will go very very wrong.

hasn't It allready begone to go fuba?! Like the Emperor, Sigmar in his arogance is blind to his possible failures and flaws in his works. Nice allegory to humankinde and parallels to most poletisitic religions. Really curious, where this road might lead us.

What could possibly go wrong indeed, always a great sign when something like that gets said (for the audience, at least?)

I find it interesting that the described SE ascribes the powers of Azyr he used before his ascension to Sigmar and that his loyalty to Sigmar stems from this. Considering he could likely have been a mage in life, that would mean his powers then where his own and his loyalty hinges on a misconception.

50 minutes ago, Bloodmaster said:

hasn't It allready begone to go fuba?! Like the Emperor, Sigmar in his arogance is blind to his possible failures and flaws in his works. Nice allegory to humankinde and parallels to most poletisitic religions. Really curious, where this road might lead us.

Well, Sigmar is in a bit of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't situation".

The reforging situation is getting worse and worse and so far his forces have failed to find solutions. The situation is contained, but for how long?

The alternative would be to stick his head into the sand and keep the sacrosanct on situation control duty. But if he does so, and the damn breaches, he is out of options, by then it would be to late to send the Sacrosanct into the field.

So he sends them out now, even knowing that it will hurry along the point where the failed reforgings can no longer be contained (a skeleton crew of the Sacrosanct will likely still be on reforging duty, but the strain on them will grow at a greater rate).

It is certainly an act of desperation and it keeps the ongoing situation interesting.

Wether the damn breaches or the sacrosanct find a solution, it will change the Stormhosts forever.

And either way, Nagash is slowly but surly collecting Stormcast Souls, at the very least those the Spirit Torments capture for him, and still we have no word what he plans to do with those, so far it does not look like they find use in the Nighthaunt armies (keeping my pet theory of Stormcast, or rather Stolecast, Ushabti on life support ?).

40 minutes ago, shinros said:

https://malignportents.com/story/sacrosanct/

So the new short story? Maybe Sigmar is going to use the gheists and those who are too far gone as the "ruination" chamber? 

With warmachines in Sacrosankt, I think ruination being the SCE "Death Company" is looking increasingly likely.

Ithink the lighting gheists are a bit to volatile and unruly to use on the battlefield though.

Besides, gheists belong to Nagash ? (even more than everyone else).

So, is this the prequel to Soul Wars? 

Is Kavastus the new Vandus? 

And while the Sacrosanct are away, searching for the reason for the reforging "glitch", something might go terribly wrong in Azyr ushering the next step of Nagash's plan after the necroquake. 

Exciting times ahead. 

2 minutes ago, SirPergrin said:

So, is this the prequel to Soul Wars? 

Is Kavastus the new Vandus? 

And while the Sacrosanct are away, searching for the reason for the reforging "glitch", something might go terribly wrong in Azyr ushering the next step of Nagash's plan after the necroquake. 

Exciting times ahead. 

I think so. The first chapter will be released soon, according to the news today. These prequels are coming since the "Day of the Summoner" and "The Price of Apotheosis" short stories. The "nine" have been planning something big... and Skavens has something to do with it...

I don't think Kavastus is a Lord like Vandus (Lord-Arcanum would be the equivalent, right?). He was a guard on the Anvils of Apotheosis. Maybe one of the new paladins (Evocators?) or even a Knight-Incantor.

And yes, exciting times indeed!

12 minutes ago, pseudonyme said:

Vince Venturella theory/wish is that they will destroy space station sigmar :)

I thought about that too, because at the end of the RGW "Hunt for Nagash audio drama", Nagash said he would follow the Stormcast souls escaping him even to the "golden pillars of Azyrheim". 

But I think its quite a bold move to imagine that Nagash can destroy the Sigmarabulum - remember also  there is no rules for playing in Azyr itself.

Instead, what Nagash can do (and is already doing) is perturbing the Reforging process (resulting in more failures i.e. more random lightning gheist).  

@KakoThat's certainly true but we don't the organisation of the Sacrosanct chamber yet. Is the Lord Arcanum the equivalent of the Lord Celestant of a Strike chamber in the same way a Lord Acquilor is the leader of a Vanguard chamber?

Lets not forget the Stormcast leader atop the winged mount we saw at the new trailer. I think he might be the leader of our new chamber. 

28 minutes ago, Kako said:

(...)

I don't think Kavastus is a Lord like Vandus (Lord-Arcanum would be the equivalent, right?). He was a guard on the Anvils of Apotheosis. Maybe one of the new paladins (Evocators?) or even a Knight-Incantor.

And yes, exciting times indeed!

No, Kavastus is indeed a Lord-Arcanum : they are the ones who oversee the Anvil (according to GW here : https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/15/15th-may-faction-focus-stormcast-eternalsgw-homepage-post-3/ )

Also, the "Day of the summoner" is more IMO a prequel to the end of the "Doomed March"chapter  in the Malign Portents campaign book, with the Changeling showing up. 

As you say I can't wait for the next step of the story !!

Archived