Malign Portents

Will Myers

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MacDuff said:

These MP stories are the best thing I could hope for - they bring AOS to life.

This malign portents narrative and the stories have literally got me into the game.. I've been watching model releases etc from the start but after this I had to jump in!

I'm excited to know what's coming next after the dread solstice? Nighthaunt battletome seems a given but what else could be coming!?

14 hours ago, CDM said:

This malign portents narrative and the stories have literally got me into the game.. I've been watching model releases etc from the start but after this I had to jump in!

I'm excited to know what's coming next after the dread solstice? Nighthaunt battletome seems a given but what else could be coming!?

Well ! 

We know that the Dead are attacking en masse right now, from the Free cities of Order to the Idoneth hidden enclaves. 

Apparently, Nagahs' Great work is coming to an end : he has unleashed a great spell of Death magic causing destructions in every Mortal Realms,  big magic disturbances and lots of undead armies to rise.

Release wise, a new magic supplement to reflect the Necroquake effects and a new Nighthaunt army seems to be the next step in the MP story line !

The Necroquake.png

43 minutes ago, xking said:

New story https://malignportents.com/story/zensts-decree-of-ordinances/

This story felt so random to me. 

Agreed. It's not a bad story in terms of building up the smaller parts in the lore.

I think it would have felt more in place when Malign Portents first started and no one knew what the signs meant. Now with the Idoneth revealed and the stories in the last month and a half that have ramped up the seriousness of Nagash's plot, it feels a bit insignificant and out of place 

2 hours ago, xking said:

New story https://malignportents.com/story/zensts-decree-of-ordinances/

This story felt so random to me. 

Firstly - Spoiler Warning.....

I quite liked it. It's showing how more superstitious people are getting and how things are slowly going to go wrong and get worse because of it. As a reader, we are quite lucky as we know the things being done in the story to ward off the dead are useless and are doing nothing but sow seeds of distrust and stop people being focused upon what they should be focused upon. We know that even if the things being done did have an effect on the dead, there are many many things in the mortal realms which will ignore them.

With Warhammer Fest a few weeks away, I think we are going to see a few more stories like this as it builds up the next part of the Malign Portents. The mortal realms had been going through an Age of Hope with new cities being founded and the evils being pushed back. We aren't in that Age now and we will soon see superstition and ignorance creep in.

I quite liked this one, shows how badly events are starting to affect people and how helpless the forces of Order are against an enemy that can not be met in battle (for the enemy are not just the massed armies of the Dead, but also the Portents themselves).

2 hours ago, AdamR said:

Get's out of bed, reads scroll. Goes downstairs, forgets he can read and wishes he'd  "got m'letters"...

Who's getting it in the neck, the author or the editor?

That one is a bit odd, but it says nowhere that the writing on the parchment is in the same scripture as that commonly used.Many cases in our world where sacred scripture is not in the language nor the same letters as the local common language. Though that is the sort of detail I would have liked further elaboration on.

This was a fun story, reminders me of the crazed religious fanaticism we used to see in te old world empire and in actual medieval times. Stories like these about the common people help build the world of AoS just as much (or more) as stories about great battles.

I loved this story. It just shows how paranoid about the dead the common people are getting that they quite literally forget about the enemy at there gates. Even blaming the dead for the poor blokes death. 

Interesting that the grots eyes were fixed on the charms. Maybe they really do ward off the dead and the charms are valuable to them. 

1 hour ago, xking said:

The  random  stuff the humans are doing  in this story  is not a accurate depiction of the medieval times.  

I know, but I can see some similarities to medieval times that the author could have used as inspiration.  Like the superstition, the excessive rules created by authorities and priests selling trinkets to protect you from harm. 

59 minutes ago, xking said:

Medieval priests did not sell random trinkets and they fought against such superstition. (most superstitions anyway)

For most of the medieval times the official stance of catholicism did condem large amounts of superstition.The high ranks and theologists fought much superstition (on the grounds of it being heathen and contrary to the christian theology).

Village priests where a more various bunch though, with some closer to their flocks than their superiors, right?

Anyway, the entire thing is not really medieval, but more like post-medieval times (which, incidentially, the empire of the-world-that-was and thus the freeguild and, really the majority of free people shown, are based on), where in the wake of a split church superstition could run more rampant (and also most, mostly reformatory, witch hunts happened).

I admit, I might get details wrong, these times where not my strong suite, but I am rather confident in the accuracy of these rough outlines.

Either way, this is the Malign Portents thread, not a history one. It seems quite clear that our new friend, Witchhunter Zenst, is a tyrant with more than a few screws loose. Exactly the sort of person to grab power when strange events hold everyone in their grip and he is the only one to offer any solutions at all.

Think this story really pushes the concept that "The Age of Hope is dead".  We've more and more people falling away from the guiding light of Sigmar to superstitious beliefs and scaremongering.  It's also interesting that despite the intentions of the Stormcast, very few areas of the mortal realms are truly tamed and safe.

12 hours ago, Rogue Explorator said:

Either way, this is the Malign Portents thread, not a history one. It seems quite clear that our new friend, Witchhunter Zenst, is a tyrant with more than a few screws loose. Exactly the sort of person to grab power when strange events hold everyone in their grip and he is the only one to offer any solutions at all.

The Question is, is he what pretends to be?

I mean, the rituals and laws we heard about, we a the reader can actually say that they will not help and we know that from the story that these laws, made the life of the towns people more difficult, darkened the mood in the town and caused the death of Jedd.

Is he really a follower of Sigmar? I mean, he could be working for Nagash or Tzeentch pretending to be a Witchhunter, so he could weaken towns and villages with uneducated citizens with superstition and fears. So these towns and villages will fall by the next invasion.

11 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

The Question is, is he what pretends to be?

I mean, the rituals and laws we heard about, we a the reader can actually say that they will not help and we know that from the story that these laws, made the life of the towns people more difficult, darkened the mood in the town and caused the death of Jedd.

Is he really a follower of Sigmar? I mean, he could be working for Nagash or Tzeentch pretending to be a Witchhunter, so he could weaken towns and villages with uneducated citizens with superstition and fears. So these towns and villages will fall by the next invasion.

There are a few possibilities:

-As you have said, he might be an enemy agent working against the town

-He might be a dangerous fanatic , believing he is genuinely doing Sigmars own work, even as he does more damage than good

-He could be simply a powergrabber out for his own advantage

-Or he might be the AoS equivalent of a radical inquisitor. This is not the first time heavy superstition comes into heavy play in Malign Portents. So far the thing with superstitions against the dead has been that some of it actually works and that it is particularly foreign to those who come from Azyr. Azyr being where most witchhunters come from and the bastion of Sigmarite faith, this implies the witchhunter is acting in deviation to sigmarite dogma. He might be the type to catalogue what superstitions work and then have them enforced with an iron hand. In this case, he actually might have solved the towns Undead troubles for the time, but at a heavy price, possibly leading to the demoralized towns fall against some other opponent.

I actually favor the last possibility, but we will not find out unless he features again in MP. It does not change him from being a dangerous loon, but it would make him a dangerous loon with a point, whichtells the more interesting story to me.

I'm so ready for grots to take advantage of Order weakness and wreck some cities. Stab em lads! 

It did seem an unlikely shot though in this story. A unit of 2 grots will be hitting on 5s and wounding on 5s, and that paranoid hoomie was in cover. 

18 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

I'm so ready for grots to take advantage of Order weakness and wreck some cities. Stab em lads! 

It did seem an unlikely shot though in this story. A unit of 2 grots will be hitting on 5s and wounding on 5s, and that paranoid hoomie was in cover. 

They could be using the rules from  the new battletome, who knows.

Archived