Happy Birthday Age of Sigmar!

Criti

This is just a gentle reminder that today is the 4th of July.  Widely regarded across the US as America's birthday (though not entirely accurate for reasons I won't get into).

BUT - today also marks the 2nd birthday of Warhammer: Age of Sigmar!

2 years ago today, the 4 pages of rules and the Compendium warscrolls were posted on GW's website for us to start using.

And just as the early Americans did, when they signed the Declaration of Independence, we stood there 2 years ago with some bold new writings in our hands and said... "huh... so... what do we do with this now?"

Fortunately, we got our ****** together within a year.  America would unfortunately take much longer (and have major regressions from time to time...).

Anyway - what is your favorite AoS memory over the last 2 years?

Mine was at a recent tournament, when I got to field my new Stardrake, Rainbow Brite.  Not only did she absolutely wreck face, but she made a couple of uptight gamers uncomfortable with her color scheme (I don't understand some people) and didn't die once.

20170609_002310.jpg.8f2d90bccf8d2e6087b08b67a3cc57b3.jpg

Dang that is a pretty dragon ;) 

My favorite part is it got me and a mate back into the hobby and it has been my go to, and much needed, escapism to take a break from my business. The much needed diversion from painting meant I got my business to a next level (well, not really but it helped) and I have had an absolute blast playing with friends. Although the margin of profit went down as I keep buying models and that next particular shade of color I cannot go on without ;)

My favorite memory might be talking trash on my own Lord-Relictor in one game. During the course of that game I put him in cover. He had three wounds remaining and was attacked by something with no rend.

The attacker managed to get three successful wound rolls. Here come my save rolls - 2+, no problem, right? Three ones. I couldn't do that again if you paid me to. 

This happened long before I painted him. Hopefully he knows better than to try a re-enactment now that he's covered in paint!

My Highlights (copy/paste from our club group chat)

Day 1 was amazing everything changed my whole collection was basically brand new

First event in Weymouth, actually Indy event players aren't twats, who knew!

SCGT loads of newbies all wondering wtf was happening.

GH release, points helped a lot of people at club get it.

Warlords, first packed GW event I had been to in ages. Atmosphere was brilliant

First podium at age of santa.

RAW16 narrative became my favourite part of the hobby.

Doggers invitational - loved running it, will happen every year now for sure.  Hope to get bigger every year.

Proving the doubters wrong.  GW hasn't gone bust and it is a very good game

Favourite memory for me has to be my IR bloodthirster doing 1500 or so points worth of damage in 1 turn. I'd used him 3-4 times previously and not done anything with him. He was becoming a bit of a laughing stock. 4x 6s to wound changed all that :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Playing storm of Sigmar with my son when his first attack with a retributor rolled a 6, we looked at the warscrolls and both realised what that meant

first game with my slaughter priest vs my son and his two friends, how many models to take him down? Quite a lot in the end and a feat that model has yet to repeat but it made enough of an impression that he is the first target in our games 

Puttong my khorne army together purely on rule of cool and seeing it on the table for the first time, realising I could paint ok

Game 100 (128 now) with solo Fyreslayers at Holy Wars GT

First major event: faced Beastmen, Spider army, & Seraphon...stuff I hadn't seen in ages.

GHB & GW community involvement meeting at Adepticon (though this one won't mean much to most folks) :D

First off excellent post Criti!,,and love the Drake!

I hail from an area of the States (PNW) that had and still does to an extent,a very anit-AOS attitude..there was much gnashing of teeth two years ago at this time in my area.It wasnt but a few weeks after,that I was at our major regional tournament event(multigame) and AoS was pretty much universally laughed at by not only former WHF players but also 40k players as well..oh how the 40kers(I play that too btw) said that that its game would NEVER be AoSified!

Well two years down the road and look at were we are now.AoS is not only going strong but its refinement continues,new armies continue to be released,old ones are slated for ongoing updates and things in Warhammer Fantasy couldnt really be better!.To add to this,40k now is coming on board with a much needed update very much in the same game engine type as AoS,,better than the old version in most every way.

Personally over the last two years ive had too many great moments to choose just one.However  the thing that stands out most to me has been to see our local and regional AoS scene grow with both old and new players joining the fold.Some of my most memorable moments are probably in the last year as I have stepped up and started running events around the area,meeting new players to AoS and miniature gaming as a whole,its awesome to be a part of the game and active in growing its popularity.This will culminate for me here in a few weeks as I attend our regional gaming convention(OFCC) as the TO for the first apearance of AoS at the event,we will probably only have 10-12 players at my event but will be on par with all the other smaller tournies in attendance,,while 40k being the largest crowd will be in the 60-70 participant range.This for me is huge after the hazing the game took two years ago and now with the changes in place for 40k,,gamers can be introduced to a much more "fun based" competative gaming experience that the GW team has brought us through AoS.

I'm One with the Sigmar,

the Sigmar is with me!

Must be the other day when I was playing Skirmish. First game my Retributor prime manages to kill the opponent's Chaos lord on his own. Next game the opponent's chaos lord manages to kill my Relictor only to be greeted by the same Retributor who managed to remove him from the table in return. :D

AoS came at a great time for me. Was stationed in a remote place for work with very little internet and needed entertainment. Hadn't played Warhammer since I was a teen and ordered the starter box. Fully painted 5+ armies since. Haven't gamed much because I live in very small, remote places but it's been a valuable constant in my life.

4 hours ago, Dragonsound said:

Killing Nagash with a Blood Warrior was pretty fantastic.

I can almost top that. We had a moment at which Arkhan the Black was finished off by the last remaining base of Nurglings.

That was beautiful.

However my best gaming moment was during a game of zombicide a few years back. At the exact moment I was about to built a barricade in the game, my door bell rang. It was the postman with a package containing a set of 3d barricades I bought from ebay (for Zombicide) a few weeks ealier. Sorry for going of topic but had to share that.

Highlight for me was participating in the first AoS 6 Nations. I did abysmally but had a ball. It was also my first major tournament, played against some great opponents and it was a great learning experience.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

On 4.7.2017 at 2:29 PM, Thanatos Ares said:

My favourite memory isn't one particular thing it's every time I roll that 6 to wound for my Terrorgheist emoji23.pngemoji1360.png

That sweet 6's and my opponents faces when the realize their big whatever just got killed in a single swing

On 7/4/2017 at 7:04 AM, Criti said:

Anyway - what is your favorite AoS memory over the last 2 years?

Actually enjoying the game and having fun in pickup games against people I have never played before, even when they would break out the shenanigans.

Personally helping to get AoS recognized at our local level by playing it and getting a weekly play night going at our FLGS.

Coming up with some cool and nuanced fluff for my personal armies.

Getting my wife excited about an army and her starting to paint it (Sylvaneth for her).

Reading the different sections of the General's Handbook and getting excited for all three types of Play.

Getting the opportunity to participate in the Coalesence event and see it unfold (even though I had car problems that day and couldn't leave the house!  ARGH!).

Joining this forum (TGA FTW) and see this awesome, positive community, when my only other frame of reference for a wargaming community is the wretched hive of snark and negativity that is DakkaDakka (seriously, I am about done with that site).

And all of this is just in the past year, since the contents of the General's Handbook are what finally got me to play a game outside of the Starter Set.

My favorite memory has to be getting that starter box and assembling it across the kitchen table with my brother in law.  Then drinking while trying to play this new game on the same table.

Some things have changed but we always try to approach our games to relive that release day magic.

22 minutes ago, xking said:

The AOS sub-forum of DakkaDakka is not that bad, seems to be pretty positive now.

True, it really is just the 40K section that I usually frequent.  I find the Ignore feature of their site to be rather handy though ;)

We don't need that here, now do we? :)

My favorite thing about Age of Sigmar has been going to loads of different events. Been playing WHFB for     twenty + years and before AOS I had only been to 2 tournaments. For some silly reason I had a view that they would be super competitive and no fun to play in. But thanks to @Paul Buckler, @DeadlySarcasmand @Drakirafor encouraging me to give them a try. I've realized what a positive atmosphere there is at these event.  I've made loads of new friends and everyone I've met has been super positive and friendly  .There have been some absolutely stunning army's on display. So I encourage everyone to give events/tournaments a go in the end most people want to have a laugh and rolls some dice.

Archived