AoS model kits that have impressed you

So I just picked up and put together a box of Kurnoth Hunters. Apart from a failure moment figuring out how the feet go together, I was massively impressed with the kit itself, the details of the swords and scythes and how they're essentially miniature versions of the Treeman kit. Definitely going to be picking up more. But what AoS kits have impressed you the most when you got them?

35 minutes ago, Still-young said:

I don't think I've had an AoS kit that hasn't impressed me. GWs plastic engineering is fantastic. 

I'm in the same boat.  I don't remember the last time GW released a model I was not happy with in some way.  I may not be keen on some of their Finecast models, but that has more to do with the material.

Pretty much all the new kits look amazing to me.

Tzaangor models. As much as I love the Brute and Goregrunta models, there isn't a lot of variance for poses, and conversions take a lot of time. They are awesome sculpts though.

Tzaangor models, between the Silver Tower, base models, 40k Tzaangor, Skyfire/Enlightened and Shaman are all great, with a lot of detail and enough variance that a unit of 10 looks just different enough to not get boring.

It's not AoS but I love the chaos chariot set. Loads of spare bits and massive potential for conversions e.g. Could build the driver as a blood stoker, Gorebeast could be used for a mighty lord of Khorne pet, horses are always useful, chariot can be a piece of scenary. Or you could just build it as a chariot 

I love the Alarielle and Drycha models, the Ironjaws Warboss on foot, the Gore Gruntas, Knight-Questor, and the Mistweaver Saih.

Not a fan of the K.Overlords mainly design-wise (and the big ship flying stand problems). I also don't like the Dracothian guard kit, mainly the Lord celestant part. The LC doesn't stand out enough by comparison, and the models are too static (especially compared to the starter set LCoD).

Pretty much any kit released in the past 4/5 years.  Now that GW have gone over to 3d sculpting and the sprue layout is done by the sculptors, we've been getting better and better fits on models and less and less gaps and bad undercuts.

If forced I'd probably go for the Blood Warrior push fit from the starter set.  Although this seems like an odd choice (the box of ten has lots and lots of options), the snap fit models are great.  They go together with next to no gaps, the models are all very dynamic in pose and the quality/detail is as high as the box of ten (rather than being a sub-par version).  I frequently mix my original five with another twenty because I struggle to pick most of them out from the others.  I think the only criticism is there's no banner bearer :)

Morning,

Nice to see a fair bit of love for the Ironjawz range already within this thread. Unsurprisingly I will echo those comments. I think the new Ironjawz range (so excluding Ardboys, which are dated) is absolutely superb and everything goes together like a dream, with some level of ingenuity (Shaman's staff and the Maw-krusha in general).

The Brutes are easily my favourite kit and having assembled 6 boxes already I've still been able to find variance by mix and matching with other kits and minor conversion.

Just simply fantastic stuff.

That said, overall I'm really impressed with the quality of AoS kits. What they can do with a plastic kit nowadays is mindblowing to anyone who's been in the hobby for a good length of time and has witnessed the progression.

Great topic! Definite shout out for Nagash as a real mile stone in what can be achieved. For pure AoS stuff all the new khorne stuff is great, especially the starter set models. The plastic characters theyve been putting out are incredible - ive lost count of the ones ive dismissed in photos then fallen in love with when ive had them to paint (shout out to the slaughterpriest with big axe as the exemplar of this!)

I have a lot of models from pre-AoS but the one kit I bought recently that I thought was awesome was the Tzangor Enlightened/Skyfires set.  The detail is insane and the choice to make either set is cool.  The discs are really nice but the inset/overlapping details make them super hard to paint, especially because I glued the dudes on them, I would not do that again, just tack them or something to prime and then remove for actual painting I think.  The entire set is fairly daunting to paint, I have not finished them yet as I keep switching to easier/other models in between.

I'll say 3 models:

- Troglodon from Serpahon range (probably my favourite model ever)

- Verminlord Corruptor (yeah, maybe it seems a bit static, but that's the point, it is SO dramatic this way!)

- Orruk Megaboss (simple, classical, direct, yet beautiful)

The Lord of Change is quite awesome, and a welcome change to the old model. Rest of AoS is meh at best... nothing I'd really consider buy. Probably cos I'm not much into the recent sculpting style. I hope that when the Elves drop my opinion changes (or I'll be pissed :P ).  

11 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

That said, overall I'm really impressed with the quality of AoS kits. What they can do with a plastic kit nowadays is mindblowing to anyone who's been in the hobby for a good length of time and has witnessed the progression.

A-freakin-men.

On 2017-6-12 at 5:48 PM, Tuluth said:

Tzaangor models. As much as I love the Brute and Goregrunta models, there isn't a lot of variance for poses, and conversions take a lot of time. They are awesome sculpts though.

Tzaangor models, between the Silver Tower, base models, 40k Tzaangor, Skyfire/Enlightened and Shaman are all great, with a lot of detail and enough variance that a unit of 10 looks just different enough to not get boring.

Those tzaangors.... so many variations! Maybe too many! Aaaaargh still need to build a few more...

1 hour ago, TheOtherJosh said:

And we don't have to deal with pinning metal models .....

Me? While it has been said before, I'm also seriously impressed with the new Lord of Change model. It's just ... crazy awesome.

I seriously miss the heft of metal models.  The solidity. The "Yes, now THAT'S a steam tank!"-ness of metal.

Other than that, I am a plastic convert.  There was a time when metal held more detail than plastic.  That time has passed. The only thing I still prefer about metal that I would like to see in plastic (because they could do it) is single-part, mono-pose models.  Clip off the sprue, glue to base, and line 'em up. I like a regiment to look like a regiment, not a collection of unruly hooligans.

The first plastic from GW that made me go "Oh, christ, now this is impressive and could not be done properly in metal" was the Dark Elf Sorceress. Since her, I've not looked back.  Ebay is now helping me divest of metal models that go back to 1982.

10 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I seriously miss the heft of metal models.  The solidity. The "Yes, now THAT'S a steam tank!"-ness of metal.

Other than that, I am a plastic convert.  There was a time when metal held more detail than plastic.  That time has passed. The only thing I still prefer about metal that I would like to see in plastic (because they could do it) is single-part, mono-pose models.  Clip off the sprue, glue to base, and line 'em up. I like a regiment to look like a regiment, not a collection of unruly hooligans.

The first plastic from GW that made me go "Oh, christ, now this is impressive and could not be done properly in metal" was the Dark Elf Sorceress. Since her, I've not looked back.  Ebay is now helping me divest of metal models that go back to 1982.

Yeh man, I am/was completely the same.

I used to hugely prefer metal models, the heft and solidity were things I enjoyed myself; the weight of a 40 man metal Executioner was joy to hold in your hand(s).

But as you say, their time has passed and plastic is now King (talking purely GW here...other manufacturers are way behind, as to be expected).

The Dark Elf Sorceress is a great shout actually, in particular that hair!! So finely detailed and worlds apart from the big metal blobs of hair you got before. Funnily enough I had this conversation a couple of days ago with @Forestreveries in regards to a 40K model (Jain Zar).

Archived