Shadespire Demo Game!!!

Wraith01

This looks extremely X-Wing to me. I personally don't enjoy that game because of the movement and how long the game takes to end but Shadespire seems to fix some of that with the Hex Grid and Objectives. I like how the demo guy mentioned it's best of three by design, that's actually awesome and unexpected. As a competitive player I have hopes for sideboards, that always helps balance.

Wish I could have seen a longer form game but the nuts and bolts are all there. Interested to see more of the game because at first glance it seems like I brick up, you brick up, and we run into each other. I'm sure that's not how it plays optimally though.

This play through was extremely helpful. So it's 4 moves a turn for 3 turns maximum 12 moves. I go u go. One move/attack then each player can choose to use cards then next player moves/attacks. 

12 activations maximum means I can't see any team being larger than 5 models like the Blood-bound team shown here. The moving objectives makes it feel a bit like gifts from the heavens mixed with battle of calth rules which for a quick same sounds great.

they mention leaders so I wonder if we will have 2 levels of statted models - leaders and other with leaders all being balanced and others all being balanced - ie maybe stormcast team we may get to select our captain and 2 other models as the game expands.

i think this looks good although I'm a little disappointed that it is so boardgamey as had hoped for something similar but on a 2 by 2 or 3 by 3. Still looks quick and fun 

I think it's cool. Really want to see how many factions it launches with and how many people in my area decide to give it a go. If it's under $40 I'll definitely buy it. 

But what I really want is a game like "Mordheim". Something like the other game they announced "Shadow War Armageddon" but set in the Age of Sigmar. 

I was there at Adepticon for their 10pm Studio Preview and got to watch the Demo. Plus a lot of questions were answered by the GW reps. I took some pics of the game and watched 20 minutes or so until I left for my hotel to prep for the AoS Vanguard Tourney early next morning.

The game really piqued my interest. Its engaging and definitely designed to be a competitive game. The Warband building via cards reminds me most closely to Battle of Westeros of BattleLore as thats the closest comparison to it that I've played. But instead of units, its individuals.

You'll be able to port these models into AoS through warscrolls, but not the other way around.

There will be the 2 faction starter plus another 2 factions released upon launch with more coming later. The expansions will be prepackaged, not randomised, so you will know what you are getting.

- Cedric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

That is cool info. 4 factions at launch is definitely what the game needs. You could set up a mini league with unique teams right away.

I wonder what factions they go with. A death pack and a destruction pack would be the most logical, but I would love  a Seraphon pack or an Aelf pack.

Based on current info, my opinion (so obviously what will definitely happen...!!);
From the board, we know that each side has up to six starting positions.
From the cards, there's no indication of a points value or similar, so I don't think list building will be a 'thing'.
Each card has a faction logo (to the right of the name) but there's also another logo top right but this is the same across the SCE and BB cards. My guess is that - in a similar vein to Netrunner to use an example of design - this is a 'pack/version/edition' symbol.
E.g. if you're using SCE you can use all SCE faction cards that have the same edition symbol.
Future packs would then be a set of models which are deemed to balance against any other grouping of faction/pack.
These packs will contain up to 6 models depending on relative potency of the individual models. E.g. a death pack with Zombies/skellies could easily have the 6, whereas we might see Ogor packs at the 2-3 mark.
If GW go down the route of individual model packs, then there must be something we haven't seen yet on how to balance these in - possibly some special grouping where "this model may replace any of the following named models in your force".

So, if I'm right - well, you heard it here first and I expect all the internet points according my genius.
If I'm wrong - I'll probably be too busy playing to care... [emoji16]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

This product seems to be a comparable product to Blood Bowl.  I think it would be best if GW looks to the community and how that launch was when prepping for this.  Essentially, a lot of extra warbands, boards and dice are what most will be clamoring for.   I saw a lot of enthusiasm at the start get replaced with boredom of playing the same couple of races every game.  Now the new releases seem to be drawing less sales.  For example, the Skaven team was the first individual box for sale and you couldn’t find any in town.  The Dwarves, the latest team are all over the shelves of ever store in town as they greatly over adjusted for demand that had already waned. 

I’d say one warband for each Alliance at the launch would be the perfect sweet spot.  This would appeal to all players as they can at least include the new models in their existing armies.

All that aside, I am super excited for this game.  It looks amazingly simple to pick up and difficult to master.  Cannot wait!

Just watched the video.  It looks like a combination of blood bowl, x-wing (looking for particular attack and defend dice) and guild ball (you go I go).  I love all three of those games and I can tell now I'm going to be all over this.

My wife also enjoys X-wing so I'll have an opponent at home and we'll be able to do a few games in an evening.  That, and the fact I'll be able to paint multiple factions containing only a few models is a massive plus for me!

Looks fun, wonder what would be the destraction fraction, and Undead. I guess Undead will be a new fraction, and Ironjawz for destraction.

I am thinking making a all female Stormcast's

One thing just got to me, with the named characters but not hero level fighters, they will need to make a new model for each fighter. SO the possibilities for new fractions are endless :D

4 hours ago, Durant said:

One thing just got to me, with the named characters but not hero level fighters, they will need to make a new model for each fighter. SO the possibilities for new fractions are endless :D

This is probably the most exciting thing about it. It lets GW try out design ideas and see how it goes down with the community and we could see things fleshed out as a full blow faction in AOS.

Hey! That's me standing in the background in a striped hoodie (00:30)! Also pictured is @Peyton and @Rhellion I had a demo game. It's really fun! I think players are going to like that it's fast and tactical. The game combines in-game tactics with list building and resource management. Think gorechosen meets X-wing. Plus the figs are awesome. Fingers crossed that Nurgle is in the first wave!

-Jeff

2 hours ago, Jeff Egan said:

Hey! That's me standing in the background in a striped hoodie (00:30)! Also pictured is @Peyton and @Rhellion I had a demo game. It's really fun! I think players are going to like that it's fast and tactical. The game combines in-game tactics with list building and resource management. Think gorechosen meets X-wing. Plus the figs are awesome. Fingers crossed that Nurgle is in the first wave!

-Jeff

Can you tell us more on the list building, in the video Khorne has 5 models (all that come with the box I think) and Stormcast have 3 models (also the ones form the box). There are more cards, models, you can take less for some benefit?

18 hours ago, Durant said:

Can you tell us more on the list building, in the video Khorne has 5 models (all that come with the box I think) and Stormcast have 3 models (also the ones form the box). There are more cards, models, you can take less for some benefit?

My impression from the Demo video and what people have said is that yes there is list building but I don't think any of the GW guys went into any detail. Its like in the demo video, Eddie only took them through a player round for the four activation's each but stopped before they got to the "maintenance" phase. I'm guessing there is a cost associated with each model but I think the interesting thing is how the activations work. Do you have loads of models but knowingly only be able to do up to four things, or do you keep it elite and hope your models don't get killed.

On 3/27/2017 at 10:22 AM, Gaz Taylor said:

Seen the playthrough video a few times now and really excited about this. Seems really easy to pick up but lots of scope. Just hoping we see at least four to six warbands on release to give the game the support it needs.

By activation 3 I wasn't waiting for Nick to explain things as the core rules were so simple - interactions and cards are going to bring some extra complexity of course but it's pretty cool.

Archived