Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire

Garxia

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

maybe it was because at heart GW want AoS to remain popular and fun without drifting into an ocean of super competition lists and mentality.  Perhaps this allows both itches to be scratched, as then the tournament guys who love the competition and mechanics but aren't too fussed about the hobby can get on and just game - low model count etc, whilst at the same time, if they feel there is a cool model for AoS they can just buy it because it's cool and not feel they have to over analyse.

Doubtful, also a very scary way to do it. Giving people more options to play is always great, what you don't want is to split the game up in a way that competes with itself. As much as hobby players don't want to deal with hyper-competition(and vice-versa more than people think) creating a schism that means that two people can't just sit down and hash out a fun game creates problems. 'Well lets play 2000pts of matched' 'oh but I like to use casual games to focus on practicing good decision making and getting my movement and stuff right, can we play 2000pts of Shadowspire instead?' 'No shadowspires too complicated and only Nobs use it' 'Oh, well. Guess neither of us get to play Sigmar today.'

4 hours ago, Jgroover said:

The hex-shape on the logo makes me think it is going to be something with grid-based movement. 

I'd be down for that.A grid based combat system, like a competitive dungeon crawler/fighting pit? 
If it uses mechanics similar to gorechosen I;m in, cus i love me some gorechosen!

1 hour ago, Dez said:

I'm wondering why Matched Play was picked out in particular, really intrigued.

Speaking as FLGS employee, It's probably because X-wing is a bloody steamroller in terms of sales and community participation entirely because of it's focus on matched play and ease of access. 

GW would be pretty silly to not look at it, look at the rise in AoS popularity and say "hey, what if we combined the matched play format that players like with our universe and models to make something that can compete on the less hobby focused gaming circuit?" 

If the Ultra-competitive want armys with only the oficial studio colours... why not prepainted miniatures? Its the next logic step.

Why are you selling me models that I have to build and paint in the exact ways you say me and everyone? Sell them already build and painted!

Not sure how it could be Mordheim related since Mordeim was incredibly uncompetitive and very league focused/long term play focused. You could sit down and play fresh crew vs. fresh crew but almost no one ever did that, at least in my area. Unless people mean Mordheim in terms of size, that's probably valid. Seems like there'd be some overlap with the Warbands rules for AoS as well.

Most competitive games are skirmish sized now, X-Wing, WM/H, Guildball, and the like. GW have been rehashing all their old games though so maybe they're just going to market it as Mordheim returned while changing a bunch of things.

1 hour ago, Dez said:

So you are saying they are finally coming out with one piece, prepainted miniatures? Interesting, I'm still wondering how it's all going to flesh out...what kind of game it will be,

No, I'm not saying anything official. What i am saying is that i imagine this will try to hit the x-wing sweetspot of game size, speed and league play. 

GW will never do pre paints, even if it went well it would be a radical departure that would reek too much of rakhams death throws or heroclix. Plus GW want their products to have as much reach as possible, so they will want to sell this to modellers and AoS players aswell.
But they might do coloured sprue teams/characters ala bloodbowl for this. 

4 hours ago, Auticus said:

I think its a pretty cool idea.

My primary fear is that if this is designed specifically for competitive play, that the large portion of my community abandons larger scale games in favor of this (kind of like how xwing is super popular in my region but you can't get in a game of armada or larger games of xwing because they play tournament-standard for the most part  only)

I am guessing this is their way of drawing in new blood to a more accessible, competitive system that is not as time intensive as a full blown game of AoS matched play.  I really hope they don't go the route of pre-painted minis here (which I really don't think they would do at the end of the day.)  Of all their announcements in the past 24 hours this is the one I am most intrigued about.  Specifically as it seems there are new minis involved with this.  some new Death minis/characters would be very cool.

32 minutes ago, Blueisola said:

I am guessing this is their way of drawing in new blood to a more accessible, competitive system that is not as time intensive as a full blown game of AoS matched play.  I really hope they don't go the route of pre-painted minis here (which I really don't think they would do at the end of the day.)  Of all their announcements in the past 24 hours this is the one I am most intrigued about.  Specifically as it seems there are new minis involved with this.  some new Death minis/characters would be very cool.

actually yes, I'd not thought of it like that.  A low cost feeder series to allow you to get a taste without feeling you've committed yourself to deeply.

Can't see GW doing pre-paints. Flies in the face of soo much of what they are about. I think it will just be another boxed game as we have seen with 30k and 40k but this time in the mortal realms. With a bit more emphasis on matched play. I don't think we are going to see a reinvention of the wheel. 

1 minute ago, Chikout said:

My first reaction is disappointment but they explicitly said new miniatures and all I can see in that pic are old minis.

there is a rumour it is mordheim esq in which case there could be several factions.

All you can see in that pic are no minis and some artwork, Probably chosen to avoid spoilers when it gets leaked online by people like me...

That's pretty encouraging - as much as a confirmation of Death or Dark Aelves would be cool, the combination of them stating 'new miniatures' and Stormcast/Bloodbound pictured on that billboard really makes me think this will be another Mordheim, but compatible with Age of Sigmar miniatures in a similar way that Shadow War: Armageddon is doing for 40K. Which is kinda cool, in it's way - I'd really like both of these games to get a series of boxed set 'warband' sizes releases though, like Necromunda and Mordheim did, which it sounds like maybe this one is going to get.

I mean, either that, or maybe this is like an Inquisitor reboot, with big ol' 54mm miniatures. Wouldn't that be kinda cool?

Apparently this is 'unlike anything we have ever done'. They have done skirmish. they have done huge battles. They have done hex based combat. So this must be a legacy style worker placement game. You have to snap your minis in half when they die.

29 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Apparently this is 'unlike anything we have ever done'. They have done skirmish. they have done huge battles. They have done hex based combat. So this must be a legacy style worker placement game. You have to snap your minis in half when they die.

I think they mean it'll be a game intended for competitive organized play. Which I don't think GW has ever even considered doing before.

Archived