Fifth grand alliance

Kosmion

I actually thought that we would get Life as a fifth grand alliance and as a breakaway from Order, especially with Allarielle's falling out.  It would stand in opposition to Death obviously.  This could spread your good guys out and have some forces that are a bit more animalistic and nature oriented in the good guys.

2 hours ago, Thomas Lyons said:

I actually thought that we would get Life as a fifth grand alliance and as a breakaway from Order, especially with Allarielle's falling out.  It would stand in opposition to Death obviously.  This could spread your good guys out and have some forces that are a bit more animalistic and nature oriented in the good guys.

One which is for all the natural monsters of the world instead of stuffing them into small factions and making them useless perhaps. 

7 hours ago, Thomas Lyons said:

A breakaway from Order is about the only addittion to the roster of GA's I can see, with Life as the most likely candidate. However, that would mean no more mixing of factions in matched play that previously could combine.

On the matter of mercenaries, there are already a fair few armies that in the Lore work as Mercenaries, particularly Fyreslayers and the various Ogors. But I feel those factions fighting out of GA is best reserved for narrative games, at the very least to limit the number of unforseeable combos. If it has to be added to matched play, it could well be done through Warscroll Batallions, for example, there could be a Chaos keyed warscroll that only contains Fyreslayers, allowing the representation of a Lodge hired by the forces of Chaos.

Think the mercenary/Dogs of war would make a good faction. Either as a standalone faction or one that can work within one or more of the grand alliances.  You could have war scroll which could choose a grand alliance keyword. Always thought things like Storm-cast who have died so many times they have forgotten their own purpose and now fight for any cause they feel is deserving. They could be allowed to fight in Order, death or Destruction. 

Although as as Rogue Explorator  says this could lead to broken combos.

17 hours ago, Thomas Lyons said:

Yeah - this. When I got into Sylvaneth my initial impressions were that they were more like destruction - as in not "good" or "bad" but just are and doing they're own thing. Obviously they are a kind of inverted mirror image of destruction in that they want to grow trees everywhere, not just fight and smash things. But take current Allarielle, and her friendship with Sigmar and the Stormcast, out of the question and they don't fit quite as easily in Order. I can see them easily teaming up with Spiderfang Grots, for example, to protect their forest homes.

7 hours ago, SuperHappyTime said:

Aelfs or Skaven.

Both are significant sub-factions and part of alliances that are already massive.

I actually assume when we get to the Slaanesh/Horned Rat narrative, this will be the outcome.

Alves and Skaven combined into a single grand alliance would be brilliant. All the other grand alliances contain stuff I like.

I don't think we need another Grand Alliance, the current system works fine and there's still a bunch of models to update, revise and expand on.

Not to forget that the Grand Alliance idea is really just a helpful sales technique, a way to group similar models with the idea that you can buy some humans and aelfs and use them with your Stormcast from the starter set

I wouldn't mind another grand alliance focused on Life as others have suggested, not least because it would open up a bit more room for a faction of good guys who don't ultimately serve Sigmar, and it would offer a good binary for Death. 

Having said that I don't think there's really any need to change the current system, there's just not anything that stands out as different enough to need another GA category. 

I would go with a Nature faction, so neutral rather than good (Order) or Evil (Chaos); I know the faction concepts aren't quite that, but GW seems to have lost that memo.

Nature would be more concerned with guarding it's domain and giving anything that provokes it a bad time than the Order-Chaos conflict. Possibly a classic fantasy druidic philosophy of maintaining balance (if that isn't to "mainstream" for new-GW).

This would include Sylvaneth, maybe Sepharon (yes there would have to be a paradigm shift for them in the fluff), maybe something like beastmen,  Wanderers, other mortal races that are keen on the druid thing and wild creatures (i.e. not tamed to serve Order or corrupted by Chaos).

1 minute ago, Ben said:

A mixture of beast from chaos, order and destruction is a good idea for a new faction.  Not the warped chaos, but the wild stuff.

Agreed.  This is how I was actually envisioning "Life"; it would be the "natural" part of the Mortal realms, not the areas that have been civilized and settled (i.e. Order).  Alarielle and the Sylvaneth would be a good seed (forgive the pun) for such a grand alliance.  They aren't Order, although they are frequent allies of Order given that they oppose Death, Destruction, and Chaos.

I wouldn't mind a type of Cross Faction Aliance.  Lets take the popular example of Nature for example.  You could have The Sylvaneth and Ironjawz.  One is order and the other Destruction, but both will cooperate as Alliance Nature (not a Grand Alliance).  There is fluff supporting an idea like this when we had Ironjawz rampaging and a Wargrove following behind planting new Forests/Sylvaneth in its destructive wake (until the Ironjaws turned on them anyway).

It would leave Sylvaneth as Grand Alliance Order and Ironjawz as Grand Allaince Destruction, but allow these two armies to combine and add in some Keywords to allow for true cooperation.  It opens up some controlled possibilities as it will limit combos, but allow some exciting new freedom in Armies.

10 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Could easily chuck Seraphon in there as well, their motives are mysterious enough and their look different enough from the other Order factions.

Yep totally! 

And while your at it, move dark elves to chaos imo

• 3 weeks later...

I think most idea's are terrible.. monsters wouldn't work as an army let alone an alliance.

Only think I could see happening is the life thing.. but only Sylvaneth is way to small: 

Sylvaneth and Aelves might be a possibilty but I just don't see it happening.

Grand Alliance: Apathy

An alliance made up of the peoples who don't side with Chaos, but don't ally with Sigmar.  Beings who are alive, yet not interested in whilesale destruction.

Special unit rules include: "Get off my lawn" and "eh...that seems like a lot of work."

Archived