Best army for beginner - to practice painting

Dear friends,

I've been lurking for some time and decided to join your great community. Really enjoy atmosphere in here.

So I've been a huge WHFB fan for almost 15 years, but never actually played a game or painted. I've painted couple of chaos warriors/marauders in a days, but let's say I'm completely new.

I know warhammer in terms of lore, but need your advice as a guy who basically never painted ever before. What army would you recommend to start with to practice painting skills?

My dream is to make Mortal Nurgle army with Blightkings as a main unit because I enjoy their look and WH40k Mechanicus Skitarii army for same reason. As of now both of those armies looks very hard to paint.

Probably the right answer is Stormcast Ethernals or Space Marines - but I never enjoyed "good guys" really,. Unless you guys tell me give it a go, at least I have an idea of painting Grim and Brutal Stormcast guys with maces covered in blood.

So what would be you recommendation? Or just grab any of start collectors sets and paint with basic scheme?

Would really appreciate some advice on where to begin with the hobby. My friend just bought basic paint set + 3 stormcast boyz - and damn they looked awesome even though he never painted before.

At this point I haven't bought anything, but ordered Gates of Azyr to get into the new Lore.

13 minutes ago, Andrew Goldman said:

What army would you recommend to start with to practice painting skills?

My dream is to make Mortal Nurgle army with Blightkings as a main unit because I enjoy their look....

Hello and welcome to TGA!

I think you answered your own question here.

Also, there's a great how to video on warhammer tv about painting blightkings.

Fortune and glory on your journey!

Here is also a great article on how to strip paint away from a miniature if your not happy with your first go. It beats buying more, assembling, painting again, etc.

37 minutes ago, Andrew Goldman said:

because I enjoy their look

Yes! That is the absolute best reason to select an army! If you like their look, you'll want to paint them well. When you've painted them well, you'll absolutely love them on the battlefield! Too many people get bogged down in army strength and points, but enjoyment is what it's all supposed to be about.

I had never painted anything really, before starting with AoS last year. Look through the Warhammer TV Youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/GamesWorkshopWNT) to find painting guides to your chosen faction -- or just watch any of them to see some amazing painting. As @Vasshpit indicated above, you can always strip the paint off if you didn't like your first trial.

1 minute ago, rokapoke said:

Yes! That is the absolute best reason to select an army! If you like their look, you'll want to paint them well. When you've painted them well, you'll absolutely love them on the battlefield! Too many people get bogged down in army strength and points, but enjoyment is what it's all supposed to be about.

I had never painted anything really, before starting with AoS last year. Look through the Warhammer TV Youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/GamesWorkshopWNT) to find painting guides to your chosen faction -- or just watch any of them to see some amazing painting. As @Vasshpit indicated above, you can always strip the paint off if you didn't like your first trial.

Thank you!

What about alternative color schemes? Should I just follow the default schemes as shown in the guides and videos at first and when I get experience look into alternative ones? Or you guys could jump into different ones straight ahead somehow?

Nurgle are your favorite, and in general they are easy to paint with washes and simple techniques. The blight-kings will be more complex to build, but i've heard nothing but good things about the fun people have with that kit. 

Personally i'd have a hard time painting something I didn't love and I think motivation is the hardest part of painting! Good luck!

9 minutes ago, Andrew Goldman said:

What about alternative color schemes? Should I just follow the default schemes as shown in the guides and videos at first and when I get experience look into alternative ones? Or you guys could jump into different ones straight ahead somehow?

Experiment. Try things out on sprues first - just prime some sprues after you've assembled your models so that you can practice color combinations without worrying about ruining any models. 

I'd try out their color scheme the first time. Just to get used to painting.

Few more tips.

•research what "wet palate" is if you don't already know.

•don't use cheap brushes. Drop a couple bucks on decent ones and clean them after every session.

•prep your models well before any paint even touches them.

•(most important rule of all) have fun and enjoy yourself.

I'd go for chaos warriors for the following reasons:

1. You can use them in a Nugle Army and can test your colour scheme.

2. Have a good combo of armour, fur and cape for practicing different techniques (edge highlighting, dry brushing and layering respectively).

3. Nice straightforward models, warm up on them then get into the Blightkings.

1. Go for nurgle

2. Of you desperately need a couple of try-out figures. Get a unit of plague rats. They are useful for you nurgle powerhouses as a screen. Fit the theme and can be as ragtag ad you like. Try out a few color schemes. Get the techniques right and then get the biggest and basest nurgle warrior you want. ??

I was completely in the same boat as you are, a few months ago, sitting on the sidelines. I picked up the AoS starter set and started painting Stormcast. Watching the Duncan videos on YouTube really teaches you a lot of great techniques that you also apply to other models as you start to paint them. It really is an invaluable resource.

From my perspective, I got sick of painting Stormcast. Don't get my wrong they are fantastic models but just not for me and that just doesn't motivate me to paint and the one piece of advice I've been told over and over is "just keep painting", and its true. Pick models you love and paint, or it becomes a chore when you don't like what you are staring at for hours.

I was holding out for Aelves but who knows when they will show up, so I picked up some sisters of the thorn and I'm loving it far more than painting Stormcast. Lets face it, when my High/Light aelves get released, they are in the same alliance anyway so its no loss!

Stick with your Nurgle, if that's what you love, and add things that work as you go like others have said.

Good luck!

I'd go nurgle. Thing is if you wait until you feel 'good enough' to paint the army you want to play with you'll a. Never paint it and b. Never play it.

just start painting, in two years when you've seriously honed your technique you can always strip and repaint. Or if it seriously damaged you could buy another. Plus what's the point in having some beginner stormcast that you don't like the look of and will never play.

Good suggestion above is to get some chaos warriors as they are armoured so have lots of nice big clean areas to paint, but you could still use them in any final army.

I have to agree with nurgle chaos warriors, really easy to put together, a chance to do drybrushing on the cloak, and armour that you can attempt a bit of edge highlighting that can be quite jagged with,  especially as you can paint them nurgle. They are reasonably priced and quick to paint and as soon as you are done and happy with the result you will want to add the daemon elements or the blightkings which you can take a bit more time over using what you have learnt. 

Whatever you decide, make sure you post some pictures and enjoy painting up your first models.

start with the army you like the most. Just don't rush your models. There are loads of tutorials on youtube on how to paint certain units and those that done have them you can transfer techniques to.

you really dont need much skill to make your models look good no matter how complex they seem. just the patience to follow the steps that are given to you from the many different sources. need any tips give us a shout!

You should paint the models you're passionate about. That's going to keep you motivated. The advice about patience above is spot on. Realize you may not get your first models to look like you want but by your fifth model and then again by your tenth model you're not going to believe how much your improve. Just dive in! Any model with paint on it is soooo much better than unpainted. You're going to feel pride and your opponents will appreciate your efforts. 

And remember that done is way better than perfect.

If you like Nurgle, I suggest Nurgle Daemons. They can be dead simple. I got good tabletop results just basing light green and washing with a green wash, then touching the pimples with flesh colour and touching the cuts with red. Really simple models if you use washes. They have the advantage that they're kind of supposed to look messy too.

Archived