Enough minis?

Had any of u ever thought they had enough minis?

I have to be honest. I dont think ill ever have enough. I do have a limit to how much i want to invest in 1 army. Right now it seems to be around 3000 points if i really love the army and around 1000 points if i just want to be able to play with some models or use them for Warcry. After that i would like to start something new again.

I simultaneously have too many minis but not enough minis. I live in a small house in Japan so storage is a real problem. I wish I could focus on just an army or  two but I'm too much of a butterfly. I've only just started building a cities army but I'm already excited about the prospect of new Skaven. I've never sold a mini, but I may have to start simply to make enough space for something new. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Chikout said:

I simultaneously have too many minis but not enough minis. I live in a small house in Japan so storage is a real problem. I wish I could focus on just an army or  two but I'm too much of a butterfly. I've only just started building a cities army but I'm already excited about the prospect of new Skaven. I've never sold a mini, but I may have to start simply to make enough space for something new. 

Same for me. I don’t have loads of space and my wife hates clutter so I’m in the same boat of having too many and not enough minis! 🤣😭😭

I am kinda starting to get in a similar situation. I have filled up 2 display cabinets and i dont have space for more at the moment. I have to put some models in boxes and think of which ones i would like to display.

By any reasonable metric I have enough. I have multiple armies, some fully painted, a few a work in progress, and plenty of options to use for RPGs. I have enough sprues that I could probably go a few years without buying anything and not run out if stuff to paint. I can more or less proxy anything with a reasonably close alternative at this point.

However, there are still projects I want to do, and I often pick up some miscellaneous D&D minis when I decide to use that creature in a game, but don't quite have the perfect model for it.

I don't see myself starting a whole new warhammer army any time soon, but I've got enough in progress that not starting something new isn't really going to stop me adding things to my existing forces.

• Like 1

I‘ve got pretty much everything I need for my Tzeentch armies (I‘ve got enough StD to run them as their own too in theory), so I‘m currently not really buying much for any of them. Basically almost nothing - if GW wants my money, they need to release something for me. 😂

I‘d be interested in a second army but with my slow speed that feels really dumb for the time being. If I had more time, I‘d love to have Flesheaters, Skaven, Seraphon, Gravelords, Nighthaunt…. so many cool armies are out there! Perhaps I‘ll get one in the future but right now I should paint more of my stuff. 

7 minutes ago, MitGas said:

I‘ve got pretty much everything I need for my Tzeentch armies (I‘ve got enough StD to run them as their own too in theory), so I‘m currently not really buying much for any of them. Basically almost nothing - if GW wants my money, they need to release something for me. 😂

I‘d be interested in a second army but with my slow speed that feels really dumb for the time being. If I had more time, I‘d love to have Flesheaters, Skaven, Seraphon, Gravelords, Nighthaunt…. so many cool armies are out there! Perhaps I‘ll get one in the future but right now I should paint more of my stuff. 

How about Lumineth, heard they are great.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I usually trim the hedges because I noticed when trying to spin my 'pile of shame' into something positive like 'pile of opportunity' I was just deluding myself.

These days I try to strike a balance between buying and hobbying. The only excess stuff I keep is used for kitbashing or the odd terrain piece. The rest goes one way or another.

In other words, I'm thinking in terms of 'good enough.' Both in terms of plastic pile and ongoing projects.

• Like 2

My limit per army (when it isn't the rats) tend to be at 2000 points, but usually I only start a new army when I get to sell some of my oldest stuff (for example, now Ive sold my old bretonians, and now I may start a full auxiliaries tau force)

6 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Same for me. I don’t have loads of space and my wife hates clutter so I’m in the same boat of having too many and not enough minis! 🤣😭😭

I'll give that a same here. My spouse walks by my hobby space and just closes the door. The last few years I've started to make those harder decisions and have begun parting with minis. It's really tough when you have a great idea for a new army, but just know you won't ever get to it. As a matter of fact, that's what I'll be doing more of today. 

• Haha 1

It's only too many minis when they're able to rise up and overthrow me.

But honestly I try to have a set goal for each project. Space Marines and Stormcast are things with no limits but I deliberately won't buy much for them, just adding the new starter box and the odd other purchase too them. Beyond that I try to set a target for what I want to play each army at. My Sylvaneth who I'm currently building are at around 1600 points with the goal being to play 2000 point games with them. So I'll aim for a final point of 3000 points where I consider them enough, to allow me room to switch things around a little. My Drukhari on the other hand are aimed at being a smaller army for playing skirmish games, so I'm aiming for 1000 points initially with another 500 points to give me options. Then if they get a few new plastic kits in the near future I might let them move towards 2000

• Like 1

Lets not forget that the ancient Egyptians believed that small painted figurines called "ushabti" could serve you in the afterlife. If it turns out that they were right then we're all going to be much better off than anyone who doesn't collect warhammer. They believed that you needed one figurine to do one day of work for you in a year. So by that metric we each need 366 minis to take with us into the beyond. Anything above that could presumably be a good bonus. Maybe like the terracotta army they could protect us from our enemies!

• Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Points are all but irrelevant for me. I collect WARHAMMER, when I am thinking about a new faction to collect the first thing I do is go through its Warhammer store page and click all the models I like and put them in a basket. Then cry at how much it will cost, source those models from online retailers and start buying. At that point, I will sit down with their Battletome, Codex, Army book and start thinking about what kind of force I would like. 

I've sold models and collections over the years and honestly regret doing so. I wish I still had many of the armies I have lost over the years. Now I am a bit older I don't see myself selling things off. I have plenty of space and so I just see myself getting what I want going forward. :) 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

Lets not forget that the ancient Egyptians believed that small painted figurines called "ushabti" could serve you in the afterlife. If it turns out that they were right then we're all going to be much better off than anyone who doesn't collect warhammer. They believed that you needed one figurine to do one day of work for you in a year. So by that metric we each need 366 minis to take with us into the beyond. Anything above that could presumably be a good bonus. Maybe like the terracotta army they could protect us from our enemies!

Now i finally understand why marines are so popular.

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hollow said:

I've sold models and collections over the years and honestly regret doing so. I wish I still had many of the armies I have lost over the years. Now I am a bit older I don't see myself selling things off. I have plenty of space and so I just see myself getting what I want going forward. :) 

Oh, a resounding 'ditto' to that! I know there's no use moping about it now, but I really wish I hadn't sold off as much as I did. My Bretonnian army was beautiful, and full of unique conversions and rare models. I got a pretty penny for it... but where's that money now? Really regret that, especially now that Bretonnia has risen again. 

My current collection of Slaanesh models ain't going nowhere. I've sold off individual chunks (usually bits that I've painted to an acceptable standard, but want to have another go at) but the heart of army itself I'll take to my grave!