Ulgu/Chamon, 4rth edition's Realm ? Your opinion.

Danaork

If I were to vote I would go for Chamon. There are a few reasons for this. The Skaven are mooted as the main antagonist for the launch of 4th edition. The Spiral Crux situated in the realm of Chamon is featured in the Skaven battletome. Clan Skryre "covert the Realm of Metal and have swarmed into the Spiral Crux in vast numbers". The under-city of Gnawbreach was formerly the inventor's haven of Durenberg and the Skaven clans of Fizzik, Shyvik and Nibbolt are all present across the Realm in vast numbers. 

I can see 4th edition beginning in Chamon (In a similar way as 3rd began in Ghur) with the Twin Realms of Ulgu and Hysh being the primary realms explored in a "Grand Narrative" series towards the end of the edition (In a similar way to Aqshy and Ghyran being the primary locations of the Dawnbringer series) with models for Malerion and Tyrion being big feature releases for 2 of the books in that series. 

• Like 4

I would be happy with either, but there's a lot of story waiting to happen in Ulgu. The stories of Slaanesh, Tyrion and of course Malerion are all connected to Ulgu. The big question is whether GW are ready to pull the trigger on that or not. On the other hand Chamon would be a good setting to do things with all types of  Duardin. I think overall I'm hoping to see Ulgu. 

• Like 3

Chamon seems likelier of the two. A bunch of stuff is already set-up there and some plot-hooks still feel unexplored since Soul Wars.

it’d also make a great counter to Ghur which was beasts, monsters, hungry terrain & savage heroes going to machines, fliers, mercurial terrain & intelligent heroes.

Also we might finally get an answer to what that symbol is between Ghur & Chamon:

IMG_1769.png?ex=657a7e01&is=65680901&hm=
It’s been there since the 2018 AoS2 Corebook and the best we can conclude is it’s a unknown sub-realm that can be anything

Best guesses are one of the artificial realms the old Duardin empire were able to create after Grungni taught them realm-crafting to make their own dimensions around Chamon(nice counter to the Skaven that just gnaw through reality that empowered duardin can craft new realities) or even a hide away for some Oighear ice tribes that were part of a 2016 GW narrative competition(which were obviously based off of Kislev but ice mages & Ogor-like creature overseers)

https://ageofsigmar.lexicanum.com/wiki/Oighear

Ulgu feels like a 5th edition thing when Order vs Death rolls around and we can see what Malerion’s agents were up to in Shyish to get the Lumineth to back off the shadow paths into Ulgu from Hysh.

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 2

I‘d like to see Ulgu personally - I just feel like that could bring us very cool terrain kits (shadows, fog, darkness, desolation - those are the things I love mood-wise for a cool setting) and push aos even further down the grimdark(which I like). Chamon is interesting too, though, so I wouldn‘t complain! 👍

Chamon has a strong Tzeentch presence although I read big T wants to infiltrate Ulgu as well. Both could be cool for my army although I don‘t think there‘s to be a lot of releases in either case. I think a Fatemaster is a given but everything else seems like likely. I‘d love to be surprised with another hero, a new kit or chaos dragon though! 

• Like 1

Ulgu. Not only Malerion is the only god that hasn't made a move yet (Tyrion too, but Lumineth are his people and they are very active), but also because I noticed that WHU seasons usually align with the realm focus in the AoS editions that follow them
WHU Shadespire - Shyish in AoS 2
WHU Beastgrave - Ghur in AoS 3
WHU Harrowdeep - Ulgu in AoS 4?
The only thing that makes me think this has changed is that we're back in Ghur in WHU righ now.

• Like 3

On 11/30/2023 at 1:32 AM, Hollow said:

If I were to vote I would go for Chamon. There are a few reasons for this. The Skaven are mooted as the main antagonist for the launch of 4th edition. The Spiral Crux situated in the realm of Chamon is featured in the Skaven battletome. Clan Skryre "covert the Realm of Metal and have swarmed into the Spiral Crux in vast numbers". The under-city of Gnawbreach was formerly the inventor's haven of Durenberg and the Skaven clans of Fizzik, Shyvik and Nibbolt are all present across the Realm in vast numbers. 

I can see 4th edition beginning in Chamon (In a similar way as 3rd began in Ghur) with the Twin Realms of Ulgu and Hysh being the primary realms explored in a "Grand Narrative" series towards the end of the edition (In a similar way to Aqshy and Ghyran being the primary locations of the Dawnbringer series) with models for Malerion and Tyrion being big feature releases for 2 of the books in that series. 

This seems plausible to me. In general, both the dwarfs and elves have stories waiting to happen. We need to know what comes out of the Grungni returns story arc and of the Tyrion/Malerion/Slaanesh-breaking-free story arc. This is both for the sake of completing the AoS dwarf/elf contingents and update the Cities of Sigmar range. It is easy to imagine that Grungni returning leading to independent dwarf updates also will see updates to the Cities dwarfs and that Tyrion/Malerion appearing will lead to updated independent elves and Cities elves.

In principle, it doesn't matter to me which one of these moves they go with first, but I suspect the Grungni returning arc is easier to resolve. Tyrion and Malerion appearing - and Slaanesh breaking free(?) -  are such big picture events that we need more build-up to them than what we've got so far. So it makes sense to go for Chamon first and then a big elf-Slaanesh showdown after the next build-up.

Edited by Dawi not Duardin
grammar
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

I would be the one saying Ulgu. Even if I would love to be wrong as my CoS is in Chamon I have the feeling we would be in Ulgu, and all the rats aesthetic would have its bases in that realm.

I’m serious about kruleboyz cogfort, it’s in their lore . Big yellerz steal them and customize them :

« Some Cogforts have been captured by Kruleboyz, notably the Big Yellers Warclan, who have heavily modified them and now use them for their own destructive ends. »

« The wealthiest of the Big Yellers travel in captured Cogforts which have been heavily modified. These contain firing gantries armed with beast-skewer killbows and massive winch-driven mega-choppas that can smash defences and cut down giant monsters. »

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, michu said:

Ulgu. Non seulement Malerion est le seul dieu qui n'a pas encore bougé (Tyrion aussi, mais Lumineth est son peuple et ils sont très actifs), mais aussi parce que j'ai remarqué que les saisons WHU s'alignent généralement sur l'accent mis sur le royaume dans les éditions AoS qui suivez-les
WHU Shadespire - Shyish dans AoS 2
WHU Beastgrave - Ghur dans AoS 3
WHU Harrowdeep - Ulgu dans AoS 4 ?
La seule chose qui me fait penser que cela a changé, c'est que nous sommes maintenant de retour à Ghur, dans le WHU.

We like to follow this way. This is so true.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Danaork said:

there at least six months to finish with the 3rd edition of Age of Sigmar and like you, i'm questioning on the realm how will become the next. One saying Ulgu, Other Chamon.
What are you thinking about all of that.

I am calling Ulgu !

Clan eshin , Malerion aelves , DoK ,Idoneth, Slaanesh, Belakor, Shadow daemons , Misthavn: a lot to explore ! 

Ulgu was the setting of a previous Underworlds season/edition.

1280px-Shadrac_Convergence_Map_01.jpg

Edited by cyrus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dawi not Duardin said:

It is easy to imagine that Grungni returning leading to independent dwarf

I think that Grungni's Duardins are already playable: Kharadron Overlords or Cities of Sigmar Duardin.

Yes, Kharadron have a hate/love relationship going on, and CoS Duardin's are part of another army, but that's fine. Imo, not all Gods should be leading an army.

Just give us a Grombrindal miniature for Duardin-only armies as some type of Grungni's Avatar.

2 hours ago, Beliman said:

I think that Grungni's Duardins are already playable: Kharadron Overlords or Cities of Sigmar Duardin.

Yes, Kharadron have a hate/love relationship going on, and CoS Duardin's are part of another army, but that's fine. Imo, not all Gods should be leading an army.

Just give us a Grombrindal miniature for Duardin-only armies as some type of Grungni's Avatar.

Sorry, I could have been clearer: I meant that the Grungni returns story arc could use a narrative resolution. While this also is likely to bring about some tabletop changes - whether minor like the addition of Grombrindal to the game, as you suggest, or major stuff like the introduction of a third dwarf faction - I didn't mean to open cans of worms like dwarf soup and similar. The factions may still end up looking roughly like they do now in the longer run, though at least hopefully with more unit types, for all we know. But there is, narratively speaking, nevertheless still more to do with the Grungni/Grombrindal storyline. I wanna see where it goes!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Grunbag said:

By the way , with skaven being starter kit , any chance we see the great horned rat mini ? 

I doubt it since they are an, albeit minor, chaos God. Maybe an exalted verminlord type mini though, each of these releases have a big centerpiece model and I'm really not sure what skaven could get.

14 hours ago, Grunbag said:

I’m serious about kruleboyz cogfort, it’s in their lore . Big yellerz steal them and customize them :

« Some Cogforts have been captured by Kruleboyz, notably the Big Yellers Warclan, who have heavily modified them and now use them for their own destructive ends. »

« The wealthiest of the Big Yellers travel in captured Cogforts which have been heavily modified. These contain firing gantries armed with beast-skewer killbows and massive winch-driven mega-choppas that can smash defences and cut down giant monsters. »

That'd be awesome, though I'm unsure if a cogfort mini would be able to replicate the scale I've pictured them at. I think the best way to do it would be as a faction neutral kit like the krondspine incarnate.

9 hours ago, Dawi not Duardin said:

Sorry, I could have been clearer: I meant that the Grungni returns story arc could use a narrative resolution. While this also is likely to bring about some tabletop changes - whether minor like the addition of Grombrindal to the game, as you suggest, or major stuff like the introduction of a third dwarf faction - I didn't mean to open cans of worms like dwarf soup and similar. The factions may still end up looking roughly like they do now in the longer run, though at least hopefully with more unit types, for all we know. But there is, narratively speaking, nevertheless still more to do with the Grungni/Grombrindal storyline. I wanna see where it goes!

I definitely think it's possible that dispossessed become a new unique faction from cities like lumineth had, kharadron and fyreslayers need a bit of love first though imo.

Chamon ! 

there is multiple reason for moving to chamon

- more skaven warmachine 

- CoS cogfort or new war machines

- kruleboyz big yellerz machine such as stolen cogfort 

- it’s realm of gloomspite gitz so either more gitmob and Frazzlegit, or new sculpt of spiderfangs

- more kharadron overlord ship

- grotbag scuttles joining destruction  

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

6 minutes ago, Grunbag said:

Chamon ! 

there is multiple reason for moving to chamon

- more skaven warmachine 

- CoS cogfort or new war machines

- kruleboyz big yellerz machine such as stolen cogfort 

- it’s realm of gloomspite gitz so either more gitmob and Frazzlegit, or new sculpt of spiderfangs

- more kharadron overlord ship

- grotbag scuttles joining destruction  

Everything from this list seems a dream to me. I'm in!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1