Barak Votann, Kharadron engineering let loose

16 minutes ago, pnkdth said:

Looking at my Duardin collection. Hm... hm, hm, hm. Bunch of old war machines and whatnots + a random assortment of marine bits. This could be fun.

Next week, a Kharadron Ironclad already stands in for a crashed Dwarven spaceship, with 40k Orks guarding the spot where the party can find parts to get it going again.

I'm not going to start a 40k army, but some stuff (up to a combat patrol box) to kitbash my dwarves into more spacy ones sounds tasty!

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

8 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Next week, a Kharadron Ironclad already stands in for a crashed Dwarven spaceship, with 40k Orks guarding the spot where the party can find parts to get it going again.

I'm not going to start a 40k army, but some stuff (up to a combat patrol box) to kitbash my dwarves into more spacy ones sounds tasty!

Now I got images of something akin to Elder Scrolls dwarves + combining some of the celestial engines of AoS. Time to build a new god!

• Like 2

To people (like me) that didn't know a lot about Squats appart from their tragic "ending", Arbitor Ian explains in this youtube what happened to original Space Dwarfs Squats:

Even if KOs are still the best army in GW range (that's a fact btw), the new League of Odin Votann seems awesome!
From what I could read, it seems that Squats use old tecnology from the Age of Strife and maybe from the Dark Age of tecnology. Nothing big but maybe we are going to see some of  Men of Iron in their ranks too (one of them can be seen walking around the Blackstone Fortress):

01.jpg.b9af99dfba3b079869f590e418e9ff02.jpg

And I can't wait to see the first Dwarf with the first full Exo-Armor/Aether-Harness:

02.jpg.46440e7616791c47fa13cdc16c1fdb09.jpg

Edited by Beliman
Grammar
  • Like 4

Well I reckon there'll be female squats - so male and female bare heads will be useful.Intrigued to know what their new helmets will look like and how the hearth guard will look. Plenty of opportunity for head and arm swaps. I'm delighted to have a 40k force of KO's cousins!

I do wonder about vehicles - thinking they might be airborne like the KO with flying warships rather than crawlers, possibly with AI construct walkers in support..I saw squat ship conversion made from an upside-down Ironclad with anti-grav suspensors attached and it looked very cool!

@Beliman love the new avatar mate!

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

3 hours ago, Beliman said:

To people (like me) that didn't know a lot about Squats appart from their tragic "ending", Arbitor Ian explains in this youtube what happened to original Space Dwarfs Squats:

Even if KOs are still the best army in GW range (that's a fact btw), the new League of Odin Votann seems awesome!
From what I could read, it seems that Squats use old tecnology from the Age of Strife and maybe from the Dark Age of tecnology. Nothing big but maybe we are going to see some of  Men of Iron in their ranks too (one of them can be seen walking around the Blackstone Fortress):

01.jpg.b9af99dfba3b079869f590e418e9ff02.jpg

And I can't wait to see the first Dwarf with the first full Exo-Armor/Aether-Harness:

02.jpg.46440e7616791c47fa13cdc16c1fdb09.jpg

Such a good channel I wish Ian covered more WHFB and AOS topics.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, silverstu said:

I do wonder about vehicles - thinking they might be airborne like the KO with flying warships rather than crawlers, possibly with AI construct walkers in support..I saw squat ship conversion made from an upside-down Ironclad with anti-grav suspensors attached and it looked very cool!

To be honest i hope Squats will stand firmly in the old "land vehicle" niche that they always had.
They had the land train, the Colossus,the Termite, bikes and trikes.
The only airborne units were the Overlord airship and Gyrocopters(in Epic)...that could take some design ideas from KO nonetheless.

Edited by Snorri Nelriksson
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

To be honest i hope Squats will stand firmly in the old "land vehicle" niche that they always had.
They had the land train, the Colossu, bikes and trikes.
The only airborne units were the zeppelin and Gyrocopters(in Epic)...that could take some design ideas from KO nonetheless.

The zeppelin was called the Overlord, if you needed more ties between Squats and Kharadron.

I think there is so much potential here, the KO and Space Dwarf aesthetics definitely look as though they could meet in the middle. It will be interesting to see whether most of the troops have the big bulky space suits/armour, or whether they also have some with the old hatched padded jerkin look.

I'm really excited about this preview. Dwarves are one of my favourite fantasy races of all time. Just the other day I was talking about what warhammer armies I had and jokingly told some friends that since I have Dispossessed/WFB dwarfs, Kharadrons, Fyreslayers, and Chaos Dwarfs, I now just needed them to bring back Squats and I'd be able to complete the set! Little did I know that my wish would come true just a few days later.

I probably won't kit bash them, since AoS barely gets played among my friends, so I'm far more likely to get a game in if I build them as a 40K army, but such is life.

Its also a testament to how much this forum loves dwarves of all varieties that so much hype about a 40K thing has taken place here without everyone getting shouted at for not talking about fantasy games from the get go!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

The zeppelin was called the Overlord, if you needed more ties between Squats and Kharadron.

It's not far fetched the idea that Kharadron probably were a keypoint\testing ground for the squat return.
They are a well received aos range so perhaps they will mix some "thunder" from them in the Squats (a jumppack unit perhaps mirroring the ballons?), and i could even see the other way around like giving Kharadron a sort of "exoarmor" powered by aethergold.
Still i hope the "iconic" old units will returns "re-designed" but with a nod to the past.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

It's not far fetched the idea that Kharadron probably were a keypoint\testing ground for the squat return.
They are a well received aos range so perhaps they will mix some "thunder" from them in the Squats (a jumppack unit perhaps mirroring the ballons?), and i could even see the other way around like giving Kharadron a sort of "exoarmor" powered by aethergold.
Still i hope the "iconic" old units will returns "re-designed" but with a nod to the past.

My pet theory is that Kharadron were meant to become the new squats, but AoS needed a faction sooner.

23 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

My pet theory is that Kharadron were meant to become the new squats, but AoS needed a faction sooner.

John Blanche had designed steampunk dwarves for WHFB 20-odd years ago in fairness, they just never got made until AoS.  Quite a lot of the designs appear in the KO too such as flying ships with balloons above them

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

John Blanche had designed steampunk dwarves for WHFB 20-odd years ago in fairness, they just never got made until AoS.  Quite a lot of the designs appear in the KO too such as flying ships with balloons above them

I was thinking about their space suits and backpacks more than the guns and flying stuff, though the flying stuff is also in squats with the Overlord.

But it is just a pet theory without any sources.

Edited by zilberfrid

Despite my love for Dwarves as a fantasy race, none of the AoS Dwarves have captured my excitement. I remain in hope that a 3rd faction will be released that scratches the itch.

Until then, though, I'll be keeping my eye on these new Squats. I don't play 40k, but I've picked up some Necrons just to have. Might even get some of the new Elder, wallet permitting. The one Space Dwarf I've seen so far appeals to me, so I'm hoping the rest of the range will as well.

I can certainly see loads of conversions coming out of these guys, and I can't wait to see them!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OkayestDM said:

Despite my love for Dwarves as a fantasy race, none of the AoS Dwarves have captured my excitement. I remain in hope that a 3rd faction will be released that scratches the itch.

Until then, though, I'll be keeping my eye on these new Squats. I don't play 40k, but I've picked up some Necrons just to have. Might even get some of the new Elder, wallet permitting. The one Space Dwarf I've seen so far appeals to me, so I'm hoping the rest of the range will as well.

I can certainly see loads of conversions coming out of these guys, and I can't wait to see them!

I hope their 40k cousins warm you up to the perfection that is Kharadron!

It's also good to know that the Blood Bowl dwarves could give you a lot of extra heads and a few bodies, though the price hike makes that a lot less appealing.

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

On the shoulderpad... Those are not runes with an actual meaning, but doesn't it somewhat look like "Tau"?

Probably, some of the lore hints for these guys is they’re gonna be closer to the demiurg so will likely have better ties with Tau. An in-between force that’s neutral to both imperium & Tau and can side/fight with either.(similar to the mercantile mindset of the Kharadron. Neither background nor gods matter, only what you can achieve with progress)

Also yeah, Kin feel like they can be a great stealth update to the Kharadron. Besides hoping for more astronaut armor, spaceships and Aether-mech suits the possibility of new bare heads, space helms and laser guns can allow a lot of Kharadron art to be kitbashes easily:

image1.jpg
image.jpeg.a2ccd4e218f97372f93274930b9cfef0.jpeg
image.png.d01839f44ea3091f6f4c2da10f34302e.png

Kin possibly having iron men robots will also be great for either Gholem aether-rigs(practically the same thing as big robots the Kharadron build) or even give a base to kitbash a Kharadron Cogmonculus:

image.jpeg.74897eb1f3ea9a0da8729e38a9be9cae.jpeg

In that same vein we can up the Kharadron sci-fi so they can claim to be building void-ports with their new gear and colonizing Chamon’s alchemical & clockwork moons and those of the other Realms.

I did a Kharadron art piece a few years back to celebrate the moon landing anniversary that gives that idea. :D (description in the comments)

Also also, this is a big boon for technological Cities of Sigmar armies as not only can they jump from steam to magitech sci-fi but the Kin’s prosthetic legs can be used to show how advanced the Ironweld engineers are as they already make highly effective limb replacement parts(both mechanical to magical) right down to empowered wheelchairs:

image.png.75208747cb00433a8027aaab6a221a0b.png

Which really makes me giddy to see what Vince can do with the space dwarves to expand his highly advanced Realm of Fire city they’d fit right at (a very warm) home with 😍

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/04/17/vince-venturellas-cities-of-sigmar-armygw-homepage-post-4/

image0.jpgimage0.jpg
image.jpeg.12cf8fc66b1413bb41be6ba7f184c380.jpeg

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 5

7 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

On the shoulderpad... Those are not runes with an actual meaning, but doesn't it somewhat look like "Tau"?

It would be interesting if they can be Tau allies. For a long time there has been a stark divide in 40K between factions like the Imperium who can ally with any other of the countless imperial forces, and the xenos factions who are stand alone. Newer ranges do seem to be slowly addressing this, for example the Ynari allowing the different eldar factions to team up, and genestealer cultists being allies for the tyranids. I could see the Kin being intended as a range that can stand alone, but which would also work well as Tau auxilliaries, so that another faction has at least someone on its ally list finally.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

Kharadron Cogmonculus:

image.jpeg.74897eb1f3ea9a0da8729e38a9be9cae.jpeg

I've not seen these before, but they remind me of the steam powered automaton Ironweld gun crew dude I made. I'm keen to see what more technological cousins he may get later this year...

QQUpJGBiQBU_B8WIk2MUssOrJHwSalakppCepWxdmhEJvpCu1F0jbDdv-ZXMMsmTKGXHRuTY5H7aFrLM98AKBUN5N8Gixf8NXryJACIJKi1M6-iUsli1AKjwUl3g6juWeBwFi3k6EqSVOXsVjtQ-84zdmKZPaksj4XZgpxHw9FeAblUdhBkLeID1OXaulvD4QbWo5rumfVG0QlYwUuApsAAjRZoUvY9QTGJ4LGgBnQdNk1OAOemGTNf3tRKY-ciKUD7ylmGVedSOn2ovOvIHqxovK1_ZHFIHZWxEy6t8k4dozoFryH8KbTD9UR4XkIljZfCtuEI28DSJawlYaTPj3jhO-W0fbMJsuW795l-EDgIRYyeFmHJVitAVkUkNTTUgRhtWoz8XIsKKy9rit3-4KHwsSfayCGxzptY3qDKsLdqo8Uoga14O9I8q8oXx5WPr3Cfb4VJmRkevcDADG6NNePsVnpy0czsvCmw5JWhyss9HQZ1X3RmJANRuBrjDGSa6SfNI8odncID3Oh1G30bXPGQSZ8tWkywYKxw0pYkt_AUIRdfKsyLyqSZDbIb9R7qFIUGbyagOnE8uBkDLBpbOndT1Lqbk8FZVHBpEUOaJ6S2zboMCiaZhu6OpyXBAQOGEY7BBBcX9rPxggIH3XljJHY3KvapyBMx3kgc7ymg9-V0rV_RI3fWbEUYmGDwQnbij5TnqOQ-chbVJqYqNcfaJrUUqLIIL68ohp0DmeBKbxbkYBqyIFBHIhKNtzeI=w1853-h943-no?authuser=0 

• LOVE IT! 3

On 4/3/2022 at 8:51 PM, Jator said:

I think it's more likely that they saw the success of kharadron and though that giving squats another shot could be worth it. I don't think KO fit in 40k.

I think that the Kharadron allowed them to try something different with the dwarf archetype and find success- they are a good move away from traditional fantasy dwarfs while still maintaining their "dwarfness". To me as long time collector of dwarfs they seem [and still seem] so cool and fresh and incredibly interesting. I was pretty shocked when they where first revealed but totally love them and intrigued as to where they get taken. The LoV look like Kharadrons in the far future, in space - they both share an obvious strong grasp of technology and I can't wait to see more. I also assume KO are quite popular/quite a good release for GW in terms of sales and that probably would have allowed them to go ahead with the squat project. Jervis said it wasn't lack of sales that led them to drop squats but the rather the lack of a cool design concept, KO showed them how to do it and have success both in design terms and sales. 

• Like 2

On 4/4/2022 at 3:31 PM, That Guy said:

I can definitely see some use for the kharadrons and maybe even the dispossessed when it comes to conversions made out of squat vehicles. Possible Squat vehicles to look forward to:

223784985_SquatVehicles.jpg.0e79bb95184bf77f9a0988d6a48d5717.jpg

You took the words right out of their mouths...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/04/05/the-saga-of-the-squats-from-space-dwarfs-to-the-leagues-of-votann/

The FW termite definitely belongs with the League, and I can see many a thanatar being proxied for men of iron if they get their automata in the new book.

I have to say, I do love me a thanatar.

@Baron Klatz those helverin flyer conversions are all of the awesomeness, I really like what he's done with those.