Jump to content

Unpopular opinion thread


Abstract_duck
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

I love all of those ideas, but the Revolutionary Ghouls is the best!

Hahaha, I also really like it and none of those ideas were pre-existing I developed them all for the post. I kind of want to make a Revolutionary Ghoul army even though I would do nothing to model them differently I would just use it as part of their narrative. 

5 hours ago, RexHavoc said:

I've always been lore/narrative over anything else. I love making up new lore for myself (I never expect people to like it, but I don't need them too) But I was once told I was ruining 40k as I was playing Skaven as a chaos force, for Epic 40k, when epic hadn't been been sold by GW for almost 10 years. I was surprised I was doing so much damage to the entire hobby, but hey! Here we are! 😁 *

Same guff from folk when I posted my slaanesh-cast, mostly because they are on squares (because we still play WFB & like oathmark) but also because people were so caught up with it being against 'lore'. (I never even tried to claim they were stormcast, fallen or otherwise. I just like the armour for them over the usual spikey & skull stuff of chaos)

My chaosdin overlords have mostly been left alone, but then they are mostly just dwarves with big shoulder pads, as I never got too far into the painting (Painting the Ironclad destroyed my soul- far too many buttons and dials and readouts which had I know there were so many before starting to paint them, I'd have left them alone in the first place!)

I gave up posting my timeline for my AoS campaign as there were complaints- some people thought it was too WFB and shouldn't be in AoS, and some people thought it was too AoS to be incorporating so much from WFB.


* I did have the last laugh. A couple of my space skaven models were featured as part of another article in a very popular warhammer fan magazine. I take great pride in my accomplishment, I single handedly ruined the entire 40k hobby. 

I think this is the biggest issue in this hobby for me. It irritates me to no end that people get so angry at other people expressing their ideas within a silly little game getting shut down because it contradicts some paratextual novel not required to understand or enjoy any element of the game. If I went through with my Space Marine idea and people wanted to get mad that Fallen Angels were not Primaris and were unwilling to play me I think I would honestly be better off not playing them... but I still do not want to go through the experience of handling someone's outrage over something as simple as little plastic soldiers. I already have had to explain to several people that my red chaos warriors are not inherently Khorne followers. I just decided that my Chaos Warriors painted their armour to look more 'demonic'. But even that was developed after I painted my first warrior, I just wanted to change it up with this army from the one I played as a teenager. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I so want to make a FEC army now where the "Arch-regent" is actually Denis the Executive Officer of the Week. But every time he uses a command ability, its use has to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting, by a simple majority in the case of using a command ability on a FEC unit, but by a two-thirds majority in the case of using it on an allied unit...

...It's probably for my own good that the generic ghoul kit is so derpy. 

Edited by yukishiro1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, yukishiro1 said:

I so want to make a FEC army now where the "Arch-regent" is actually Denis the Executive Officer of the Week. But every time he uses a command ability, its use has to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting, by a simple majority in the case of using a command ability on a FEC unit, but by a two-thirds majority in the case of using it on an allied unit...

...It's probably for my own good that the generic ghoul kit is so derpy. 

I'd love to see a game between Soulblight and FEC where Soulblight's zombies are clad in big box store shirts and their vampires are middle to upper management (or Cities with lots of hapless guard), while FEC is the ravenous Black Friday horde of entitled customers.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

Hahaha, I also really like it and none of those ideas were pre-existing I developed them all for the post. I kind of want to make a Revolutionary Ghoul army even though I would do nothing to model them differently I would just use it as part of their narrative. 

I think this is the biggest issue in this hobby for me. It irritates me to no end that people get so angry at other people expressing their ideas within a silly little game getting shut down because it contradicts some paratextual novel not required to understand or enjoy any element of the game. If I went through with my Space Marine idea and people wanted to get mad that Fallen Angels were not Primaris and were unwilling to play me I think I would honestly be better off not playing them... but I still do not want to go through the experience of handling someone's outrage over something as simple as little plastic soldiers. I already have had to explain to several people that my red chaos warriors are not inherently Khorne followers. I just decided that my Chaos Warriors painted their armour to look more 'demonic'. But even that was developed after I painted my first warrior, I just wanted to change it up with this army from the one I played as a teenager. 

in my gaming group I've actually proposed a campaign called Warhammer fifty thousand, where the idea is that its even further in the future, the Imperium has collapsed into civil war, and all bet s are off. Anyone can ally with anyone else, and combinations which wouldn't normally be legal are encouraged. We can convert our force however we want to fit our own narrative of what the future of 40k might look like.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

in my gaming group I've actually proposed a campaign called Warhammer fifty thousand, where the idea is that its even further in the future, the Imperium has collapsed into civil war, and all bet s are off. Anyone can ally with anyone else, and combinations which wouldn't normally be legal are encouraged. We can convert our force however we want to fit our own narrative of what the future of 40k might look like.

This is a fantastic idea! You could even use full on AOS proxies, as certain worlds may have collapsed technologically reverting to a medieval form of warfare and believing psychic powers are magic. Make the Sigmarine meme a reality!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, yukishiro1 said:

I so want to make a FEC army now where the "Arch-regent" is actually Denis the Executive Officer of the Week. But every time he uses a command ability, its use has to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting, by a simple majority in the case of using a command ability on a FEC unit, but by a two-thirds majority in the case of using it

Bloody peasant!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Judging from the new tomes, they seem to want a game where most of the rules complexity is in the base rules, rather than in the tomes. But the problem is that most people are still using the old tomes, where the complexity was in the tomes rather than the base rules. So you end up with complexity coming from both, which seems to be more than the designers themselves wanted. If other tomes are like the first two, this will slowly fix itself over time...but the way it will do it is by people losing rules they used to have, and I'm not sure that's a great way to make people happy. Look at how unhappy Bonesplitterz players rightfully are at seeing most of the complexity stripped out of their faction for what doesn't feel like any great reason. 

Of course, it's a problem of their own making - the most complex tomes are mostlyones that came out well into 3.0's development schedule. Like if they were going to go in this direction...why did they design a Lumineth tome like the one they did? It makes no sense. The thing was ridiculous overengineered even for 2.0; the comparison to 3.0 tomes is just painful. 

 

 

Edited by yukishiro1
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, yukishiro1 said:

Judging from the new tomes, they seem to want a game where most of the rules complexity is in the base rules, rather than in the tomes. But the problem is that most people are still using the old tomes, where the complexity was in the tomes rather than the base rules. So you end up with complexity coming from both, which seems to be more than the designers themselves wanted. If other tomes are like the first two, this will slowly fix itself over time...but the way it will do it is by people losing rules they used to have, and I'm not sure that's a great way to make people happy. Look at how unhappy Bonesplitterz players rightfully are at seeing most of the complexity stripped out of their faction for what doesn't feel like any great reason. 

Of course, it's a problem of their own making - the most complex tomes are mostlyones that came out well into 3.0's development schedule. Like if they were going to go in this direction...why did they design a Lumineth tome like the one they did? It makes no sense. The thing was ridiculous overengineered even for 2.0; the comparison to 3.0 tomes is just painful. 

 

 

Great observation, mate - never occurred to me. Well, it's not like I will stop playing AoS or anything but I'm definitely one of those that prefer simpler rules too... especially because if i want to introduce friends to it. Complex rules are certainly not helping.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If they're going to call themselves "fyreslayers" then they should damn well put fires out rather than start them. Trollslayers slay trolls, dragonslayers slay dragons... Fyreslayers need to get down to the business of slaying fire or cut their beards off in shame! What are the Dawi coming to... *incoherant longbeard grumbling*

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EccentricCircle said:

If they're going to call themselves "fyreslayers" then they should damn well put fires out rather than start them. Trollslayers slay trolls, dragonslayers slay dragons... Fyreslayers need to get down to the business of slaying fire or cut their beards off in shame! What are the Dawi coming to... *incoherant longbeard grumbling*

My headcanon is that the concept was conceived after looking at a few barely clad pinup firefighter calendars, and "firefighters" simply was aosified to Fyreslayers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not certain if this has been posted already, I got tired of trawling through AoS v WHFB stuff BUT:

I'd like units to be less reliable when receiving orders to move / shoot / charge etc. I think it is Hail Caesar(?) that has a commander rating system where higher rated commanders have a greater chance of their orders being followed by the unit in question. This would introduce an element of randomness and mishap into the game. I don't think this will be popular with competitive players (I can understand why) but it would add an enjoyable element for me. Obviously, I like the curse of the double turn.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw a game of Hail Caesar (I think it was that version, Warlord have a lot of similar games) and watched my friends Scots army spend most of the game sat there doing nothing because to act on an order they needed a 7 or more and he just couldn't roll it. I know that you said for you it would be fun (and I'm not a competitive gamer) but having a unit or several have a 50% chance of sitting there doing nothing every turn is not "fun" at all. I play the game to have units work more of less the way I want them to (I don't like it when my Gutrippas die, or I lose half of them to bravery) and while I don't mind various degreesof randomness I can't imagine anyone finding it really great to watch a core unit not move for the entire game because of bad dice. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

If they're going to call themselves "fyreslayers" then they should damn well put fires out rather than start them. Trollslayers slay trolls, dragonslayers slay dragons... Fyreslayers need to get down to the business of slaying fire or cut their beards off in shame! What are the Dawi coming to... *incoherant longbeard grumbling*

I like the army, but you are so right on this! I never really noticed... Bonereapers at least really do reap bones.

Duardeth Slaylords, maybe?! Or Slaydin Fyretribes? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

If they're going to call themselves "fyreslayers" then they should damn well put fires out rather than start them. Trollslayers slay trolls, dragonslayers slay dragons... Fyreslayers need to get down to the business of slaying fire or cut their beards off in shame! What are the Dawi coming to... *incoherant longbeard grumbling*

11 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

My headcanon is that the concept was conceived after looking at a few barely clad pinup firefighter calendars, and "firefighters" simply was aosified to Fyreslayers.

25 minutes ago, Maogrim said:

I like the army, but you are so right on this! I never really noticed... Bonereapers at least really do reap bones.

Duardeth Slaylords, maybe?! Or Slaydin Fyretribes? 

Grimnir_vs_Vulcatrix_001.jpg
Not going to lie I always assumed it was because their God slew the Fyrebeast Vulcatrix. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Grimnir_vs_Vulcatrix_001.jpg
Not going to lie I always assumed it was because their God slew the Fyrebeast Vulcatrix. 

That may be true, but I prefer the image of a GW designer opening a centerfold and studying the well sculpted abs of the posing gentleman in detail because someone else wanted to expense said magazine as study material.

Though I'd love to see hair this expressive on the next Fyreslayer model!

  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Idoneth Deepkin should have been Fishmen and a destruction army. 

I see people complain about too many Elves and I see people wish for more destruction armies. They are the elf faction no one asked for. Instead of elves on flying sharks, I want Sharkmen monsters.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Red Bull said:

Idoneth Deepkin should have been Fishmen and a destruction army. 

I see people complain about too many Elves and I see people wish for more destruction armies. They are the elf faction no one asked for. Instead of elves on flying sharks, I want Sharkmen monsters.

I have asserted many times over that IDK would have been an amazing Aelvish destruction faction that when abandoned by their God began to worship the destructive qualities of the sea from tidal waves to hurricanes. I also think that Grimnir should have also been a Destruction God and rival to GorkaMorka. He could have been the Athena to GorkaMorka's Ares. I think with the inclusion of both destruction would have been more deverse and the potential allies in Destruction would have been much more interesting. Seeing Souless Aelves fighting alongside Ironjawz or an Army of Ogors with Duardin berserkers among their ranks would have been amazing.

I even think with the idea of Kragnos and Destruction factions worshipping animistic embodiments of destruction a Grimnir and Mathlann still fit the bill of Destruction deities. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Red Bull said:

Idoneth Deepkin should have been Fishmen and a destruction army. 

I would have been 100% in for an evil fishmen army! Though I do love my IDK as they are.

What I'd love to see included in an IDK wave 2 are auxiliary troops from some of the other aquatic races mentioned in the battletome, in addition to fantastic underwater beasts. The faction could be an amazing menagerie of weird wet things with the aelves in control of it all.

Edited by Orbei
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

IDK as a destruction? Meh

IDK as Death? Signing up to Daddy Nagash in exchange for a soul tithe and military service? Oooh yeah :P

I like that! IDK would make a cool, unorthodox Death faction. There is an interesting thematic contrast with Nighthaunt as well. Nighthaunt only have their souls, while IDK only (well, not only, but close enough) have their bodies.

However, since I like it, that means that you have to leave this thread, because it's for unpopular opinions.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

IDK as a destruction? Meh

IDK as Death? Signing up to Daddy Nagash in exchange for a soul tithe and military service? Oooh yeah :P

I could see it, but I like having some less "good" factions as part of order. 

If we're going to move anyone to Grand Alliance Death I vote DoK. They have the goth aesthetic down already, and Morathi is a goddess of murder. More murder = more death. Maybe she and Nagash could hook up and have a healthy, mutually supportive relationship. It would be positive for Malerion's mental health too, all things considered. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Skaven should be mostly gutted. Lose everything of the stupid Pestilens, Eshin and what not. Stop being chaos. 

Then they should be moved to Destruction. Make them their own empire that’s bent on the destruction of everyone else’s and Rat dominance. 

Then reimagine them from the ground up as a “weird science”. This will have something similar to the Skyre theme. But even more so. This stupid divided mix is awful and uninspiring. 

Beasts of Chaos need to be changed to Beastmen or Wyldbeasts of whatever for a trademark. Then redesigned away from Chaos themes to just pure and utter hatred for civilization and made Destruction (seeing a pattern here?). 

That or just remove Grand Orders anyways. They’re stupid. But regardless I want Beasts and Skaven their own unique armies more than they are now and not tied to chaos at all ideally. 

Lastly Cities of Sigmar should just die. I’m all for Dawnbringer Crusaders coming to life. Bringing a mixed race force of Elves, Dwarves and Humans who worship (at some level) Sigmar. But give them their own unique look and have units mixed races. Then kill off the last vestiges of WFB from this line. Lumineth replaced the High Elves, use the Corsairs as a unit for Umbraneth Elves or whatever. Kill of the old Empire and Dwarf lines. And then if you want create the Khazilid Empire for more Fantasy like dwarves in a super book with KO and Fyreslayers I am okay with that. 

I know a lot of people have a love for WFB. But I don’t. And I want to experience AoS as it’s own thing. Not with a bunch of pieces of WFB holding on. It would make the game better I feel. 

  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...