New FAQ Discussion Thread (27.08)

Charleston

21 minutes ago, AaronWilson said:

After actually working it out in my head I understand it, I don't think it's good but at least I know how it works.

You're allowed a armour save, a ward save AND then you're allowed any saves that you have to try and negate the wound now allocated. 

EDIT: Reread this a few times, and after isn't a condition it's a sequence item.  Go go ward stacking, I guess. 

Edited by KrispyXIV

4 minutes ago, KrispyXIV said:

Seeing as how the FAQ calls out in bold "when" and "after", I personally kindof doubt any roll without those words in them to stipulate timing should stack.  

Which should limit the impact of this entry, imo...

As this FAQ is written it definitely permits more then one save to negate wounds taken. 

2 minutes ago, KrispyXIV said:

Seeing as how the FAQ calls out in bold "when" and "after", I personally kindof doubt any roll without those words in them to stipulate timing should stack.  

Which should limit the impact of this entry, imo...

But abilities like deathless minions for death armies is when you allocate, so a Vampire lord on ZD with amulet of destiny would then have 5+ ward, then 6+ deathless for example, which is a big deal for any books with this wording that is clearly meant to be wards, but are not right now. 

This goes for DoK and their 6+ and also StD with undivided marks, as those 6s to ignore allocated wounds now take place after wards

• I don't get the Archaon nerf to be honest. Was Eye of Sherian so oppressing that it needed to be addressed? Isn't "reroll saves of 1" in StD Alligiance more of an issue?
  • Khorne Judgements now stay on the field until the "roll a 6" trigger occurs. Noice!
  • Ward design backdrop is really unnecessary. It was one of the outstanding improvements of AoS 3.0 and they simply reversed it for no reason? They had the mess fixed up only to return it to a messed up state so they can nerf it in the new tomes again?
  • Returning Legends and Monstrous Arcanum rules are nice. Maybe I will print some Chaos Dwarf Proxies.

In general the back and forth with rules is just silly. Morathis Heartrender beeing back at -2 is another example of the weird switcheroo that occured at every single rules document. How messed up can GW rule design be? I guess the project to write my own tabletop ruleset is back on the table again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have no idea what they were thinking upping the mourngul to 300 points. It was at best questionable to bring him before for Nighthaunt, now I really doubt we'll see any play of him outside the stray casual list. A 10 wound 4+ non-rendable monster can only do so much for it being the only monster in Nighthaunt's arsenal.

The Krulghast rule clarification is much appreciated though. Good to know I was using it right the whole time lol.

Despite the fact that Nighthaunt didn't even get an FAQ update (shocker I know), the only rule we were really wondering about was the Krulghast question which got answered. Its just a shame that we didn't get any other nice tweaks, but that would be like wishing for a miracle at this point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChaosUndivided said:

So i understand how the ward works but what about these other save-after-saves such as the chaos warshrines 6+ aura and the 6+ aura that an undivided general can have... since they are not technically wards do they stack?

Yes, because only wards doesnt stacks. 

Just now, ChaosUndivided said:

So i understand how the ward works but what about these other save-after-saves such as the chaos warshrines 6+ aura and the 6+ aura that an undivided general can have... since they are not technically wards do they stack?

The Warshrine was FAQd to provide a 6+ ward. The Undivided general aura was not FAQ,d so that now stacks with a ward. Chaos shields ignoring mortal wounds now again stacks with all of this, so for example a chaos warrior with sheild taking 1 mortal wound from an arcane bolt, would get 6+ ward from shrine. 5+ for chaos shield, 6+to ignore from chaos undivided aura potentially.

55 minutes ago, Ragest said:

They have destroyed Sylvaneth xd

(again)

You're talking about the wyldwoods missing navigate realmroots? Quote obviously an oversight, though.. since they explicitly state in the FAQ that the ability is replaced by an ability on the warscroll, you can reasonably presume that it still exists. 

• Like 3

Just now, Abstract_duck said:

You're talking about the wyldwoods missing navigate realmroots? Quote obviously an oversight, though.. since they explicitly state in the FAQ that the ability is replaced by an ability on the warscroll, you can reasonably presume that it still exists. 

Bigger issue may be that it appears wildwoods always have to follow their warscroll setup rules per CRB faction terrain FAQ, meaning they all have to be in your territory...

• Like 1

Ouch.. Didn't catch that. 

Not sure if I agree though, since it states: Abilities that allow you to add Awakened Wyldwood terrain features to the battlefield will tell you how to set them up. In addition, they must be set up more than 3" from all models, objectives, other terrain features, endless spells and invocations.

I'd argue those are the only rules, then, for trees set up during the game. 

Edited by Abstract_duck
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

The Warshrine was FAQd to provide a 6+ ward. The Undivided general aura was not FAQ,d so that now stacks with a ward. Chaos shields ignoring mortal wounds now again stacks with all of this, so for example a chaos warrior with sheild taking 1 mortal wound from an arcane bolt, would get 6+ ward from shrine. 5+ for chaos shield, 6+to ignore from chaos undivided aura potentially.

Good call on the warshrine faq but i was thinking more about archaon potential 6+ save from shrine, 4+ from armor of morkar, 6+ from being undivided general.

29 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Anointed on Phoenix get their 4+ notward and can also take an Amulet of Destiny to get a 5+ ward xDxD

So to make sure I understand this how everyone else does. Let's say I have an Anointed with Amulet near Phoenix Guard who are his Loyal shields. Anointed takes a wound. He gets a 4+ (armor) 5+ (amulet) 4+ (witness). Or I can take a 4+ (armor) 4+ (loyal shields) and then a 4+(witness) on the Phoenix Guard.  If the Anointed fails the 4+ loyal shields does he still get his 4+ witness save or does he just take the wound? 

12 minutes ago, Abstract_duck said:

Ouch.. Didn't catch that. 

Not sure if I agree though, since it states: Abilities that allow you to add Awakened Wyldwood terrain features to the battlefield will tell you how to set them up. In addition, they must be set up more than 3" from all models, objectives, other terrain features, endless spells and invocations.

I'd argue those are the only rules, then, for trees set up during the game. 

Yeah... I'm honestly not sure what that FAQ actually means.   It refers to "these placement restrictions" as if those would be apparently in the previous question, but the only rational interpretation of that would be the placement restrictions of the terrain in question (its not clear).

The reference to 17.0.3 doesn't appear to even be valid. 

Edited by KrispyXIV

5 minutes ago, Pariah7echo said:

So to make sure I understand this how everyone else does. Let's say I have an Anointed with Amulet near Phoenix Guard who are his Loyal shields. Anointed takes a wound. He gets a 4+ (armor) 5+ (amulet) 4+ (witness). Or I can take a 4+ (armor) 4+ (loyal shields) and then a 4+(witness) on the Phoenix Guard.  If the Anointed fails the 4+ loyal shields does he still get his 4+ witness save or does he just take the wound? 

You can take one armour save, one ward save (anything that isn't a armour save to prevent the wound happening) as then as many saves you have that negate the wound once it's been allocated. 

4 minutes ago, KrispyXIV said:

Yeah... I'm honestly not sure what that FAQ actually means.   It refers to "these placement restrictions" as if those would be apparently in the previous question, but the only rational interpretation of that would be the placement restrictions of the terrain in question (its not clear).

The reference to 17.0.3 doesn't appear to even be valid. 

And, to add to that.. There seems to be no reference to the placement rules in the General's handbook. So I'd argue that these don't apply to woods set-up during the game.