AoS 3.0 - Ogor Mawtribes Discussion

Charleston

1 hour ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

Question for my fellow tyrants. I was thinking of altering my list by swapping a fire belly for a unit of mournfangs. I asked my local group and was told, "Mournfangs are the most awful things ever and contribute nothing XD" I didn't find that very helpful, so I'm asking you all. I thought that adding a mobile unit that didn't need the tyrant's buffs to harass a flank sounded good. Thus far, the fire belly just hasn't added much to the army besides a 3rd unbind. Of course, when I remove him and his anti-horde spell, I'll run into a one. Xp Any advice on mildly altering my cannon list? Ironically, I don't feel like the answer is more cannon. XP

My proposed list:

Reveal hidden contents

1955pts Underguts, Warlord battalion (&), hunters of the heartlands battalion (*)

Tyrant (3+ save, general, trophy rack) (&)

Butcher (&)

Slaughtermaster (&)

4x4 leadbelchers (1*, 1&)

3x1 ironblasters

1x2 mournfang (iron fist) (*)

1x20 gnoblars (*)

2x1 gorgers

Burning head

Thanks, and a lovely week to you.

I find 2man units of Mournfang really good road blocks. They're not the killiest but it will generally take most similarly pointed units quite a few turns to chew through them. 

They can also be good for harassing a poorly defended objective for similar reasons but effective 4 models for contesting isn't great. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

Question for my fellow tyrants. I was thinking of altering my list by swapping a fire belly for a unit of mournfangs. I asked my local group and was told, "Mournfangs are the most awful things ever and contribute nothing XD" I didn't find that very helpful, so I'm asking you all. I thought that adding a mobile unit that didn't need the tyrant's buffs to harass a flank sounded good. Thus far, the fire belly just hasn't added much to the army besides a 3rd unbind. Of course, when I remove him and his anti-horde spell, I'll run into a one. Xp Any advice on mildly altering my cannon list? Ironically, I don't feel like the answer is more cannon. XP

My proposed list:

Reveal hidden contents

1955pts Underguts, Warlord battalion (&), hunters of the heartlands battalion (*)

Butcher (&)

Slaughtermaster (&)

3x1 ironblasters

1x20 gnoblars (*)

2x1 gorgers

Burning head

Literally the only reason mournfang are bad is the fact that they still count as 1 for ogor charge and might makes right. If they got the better impact hits at 4 models, and counted for 3/4 models on an objective you'd probably see them played quite a bit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2022 at 2:32 AM, TheArborealWalrus said:

My proposed list:

Reveal hidden contents

Butcher (&)

Slaughtermaster (&)

3x1 ironblasters

1x20 gnoblars (*)

2x1 gorgers

Burning head

They're a great roadblock against units with no rend, especially with the ironfists. Once they go up against rend though its kill or be killed and 2 likely wont get the job done with their hit profiles. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nezzhil said:

Buccaneer warscroll is on the app. A cheap hero.

Not that great overall imo, 105 points for ~11 wounds on a 5+, statswise he's a maneater with an extra shot and 1 more rend on the melee weapon. doesn't have a subfaction keyword so he can pick up some abilities there, and he can turn off artefacts if he gets close to something at the start of the combat phase, but its a bit unreliable.
I'd like him a lot more if he had the gutbuster keyword, but it seems like a fun scroll. I'll probably just use him as a maneater or something.

5 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

Not that great overall imo, 105 points for ~11 wounds on a 5+, statswise he's a maneater with an extra shot and 1 more rend on the melee weapon. doesn't have a subfaction keyword so he can pick up some abilities there, and he can turn off artefacts if he gets close to something at the start of the combat phase, but its a bit unreliable.
I'd like him a lot more if he had the gutbuster keyword, but it seems like a fun scroll. I'll probably just use him as a maneater or something.

Where are you able to find it in the app? I tried checking for it earlier and could not find it 

23 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

Cheapest hero we have and the +1 to hit means be has an ok damage output.  Not exciting but great value.

9 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

first warscroll in Destruction/Mawtribes/Warscrolls. Might want to check and make sure your app is updated though.

Ah yup that was the culprit. My app store did not have the update ready when i looked initially. 

105 points is a pretty good value for the threat of removing artefacts off people -though im not sure how likely youre going to be able to use it. Does help that it didnt specify whose combat phase which means he is not going to get charged by leaders much

Some solid damage output for his cost and ability. Probably will help in those situations where you are sitting at 1850 and dont know what else to add

On 1/26/2022 at 8:42 AM, Nezzhil said:

Buccaneer warscroll is on the app. A cheap hero.

Did anyone notice the reduced movement from the standard 6” for an ogor to 5” on this guy? Could this be a bellwether of what’s coming for the rest of the army if there is a new battletome? With the smaller board size I wonder if this could be a change that is coming up…

11 hours ago, Jmason said:

Did anyone notice the reduced movement from the standard 6” for an ogor to 5” on this guy? Could this be a bellwether of what’s coming for the rest of the army if there is a new battletome? With the smaller board size I wonder if this could be a change that is coming up…

It’s an interesting question and it might be the case. I played a game against ironjawz on Friday and my opponent had mentioned some of his units got their movement reduced by an inch or two.

I thought the idea with the smaller board size was to make the games quicker so if they turn around and make everyone slower I would just question what was the point then

11 hours ago, Jmason said:

It could be but it also could just be lazy warscroll writing, in the same way they gave Gardus steelsoul a 4+ save when he first came out (despite basically all stormcast heroes, and other lord celestants being on a 3+) and then moved to a 3+ in the new book. It feels like sometimes they don't actually look at previous warscrolls properly when they write a new one.

Dropped my thunderbellies idea to run this instead for my GT this weekend. 

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: None
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
Butcher (135)*
- Tenderiser
- Artefact: Wizardflesh Apron
- Lore of Gutmagic: Ribcracker
Slaughtermaster (140)*
- Lore of Gutmagic: Molten Entrails
Huskard on Thundertusk (335)
- Blood Vulture
- Prayer: Keening Gale
Frostlord on Stonehorn (430)*
- General
-Command Trait: Voice of the Everwinter (Heal, Pulverising Hailstorm)
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
2 x Mournfang Pack (160)
- Gargant Hackers
Stonehorn Beastriders (320)**
- Weapon: Blood Vulture
Stonehorn Beastriders (320)**
- Weapon: Blood Vulture
20 x Gnoblars (100)**
Emerald Lifeswarm (60)
*Command Entourage - Magnificent
**Hunters of the Heartlands

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 95
Drops: 8

I got a practice game against big waaagh on Friday and the list performed very well with the multiple avenues of healing via 2 prayers, emerald lifeswarm, and the pot. I got to doubleturn my opponent and all 6 vultures connected to kill my opponents only wizard. The double turn also allowed my FLSH to connect with his only mawcrusha big time. When he went in for the charge he was receiving +1 to wound via thundertusk prayer, +1 to hit via titanic duel, d6 mortals via metal cruncher, 11 on the charge roll for impact hits, and 6 damage on the rockhard horns via charge,flaming weapon, and entrails. I had hit it a good deal with mortal wounds from MC/Impact hits but 3 of the horns connected for 18 points of damage and wiped out the mawcrusha without the stonehorn taking any wounds. From there on out I was able to close out the game as he was left with 2 heroes after T2 and a lot of battleline already dead. The double turn played well into my favor this game but my opponent chose an aggresive T1 movement wise and really gave me only 1 choice to get into the game objective wise. 

I'm interested to see how it plays against other armies. I do not think this GT has any 10 dragon lists but my biggest concern is running into a list that has the ability to 1 shot the FLoSH. Him staying alive long enough to allow the rest of the army to do its thing is key and I cant afford him gone T1/2. 

One army I saw in the tournament is LRL with 30 sentinels and 3 foxes. I haven't played against them before but if I do they are going to outdrop me. Do I have to play that matchup slow? I have a feeling I wont get a good shot to kill those archers outside of vultures/snowball due to 3 fox screens and some wardens that likely are going to be screening as well when the foxes are elsewhere.

Edited by Schauer

14 hours ago, Schauer said:

I thought the idea with the smaller board size was to make the games quicker so if they turn around and make everyone slower I would just question what was the point then

It was actually a logistical change, I don't know the exact math off the top of my head but basically 60x44 is better because 30x22 squares fit into things like shipping containers and trucks better. The change was made for their smaller games initially, but having a 40k/aos board be 4 warcry/KT boards put together makes some amount of sense from a business perspective.

On 1/30/2022 at 10:42 PM, Jmason said:

He's got sea legs, and isn't used to walking on dry land. :)

• Like 1

Last weekend I had a Team match with my Ogors and Stormcasts vs Nurgle and Nighthaunt. 3000 points wach Player. What a blast!

I took Kragnos and a lot of Stonehorns. The 3d6 charge is awesome! The faces of the players priceless😁

The Highlight: Kragnos charged a GUO and deals 30 mortal wounds.

For my next Game I will try this list:

Army Faction: Ogor Mawtribes
    - Army Subfaction: Bloodgullet
    - Grand Strategy: Beast Master

LEADER

Icebrow Hunter (125)
    - General

Frostlord on Stonehorn (430)

Kragnos (720)

BATTLELINE

1 x Frost Sabres (110)

Frost Sabres (55)

Frost Sabres (55)

Frost Sabres (55)

TERRAIN

Great Mawpot (0)

TOTAL POINTS: (1980/2000)

Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

I uploaded my successes, so I thought I should talk about my list's losses. Maybe it'll help some of you. 

My list: 1920pts - Underguts tribe, command battalion, hunters battalion, artillery battalion

Spoiler

Triumph: +1 to wound,    Grand strategy: Battleline alive

Tyrant - general, scarred hide, trophy rack

Slaughtermaster - Spell: -1 save

Butcher - gnoblar blast keg, Spell: Rhinox buff 

Firebelly - Spell: anti horde

4x4 leadbelchers

1x20 gnoblars

2x1 gorgers

1x3 ironblasters

First loss VS Ironjaws

Spoiler

Faily standard list. 

2 mawcrushas, 1 general with an offence artifact, and 1 with the magic book

3 iron jaw drummer guys

2x3 goregruntas

1x6 goregruntas

I'm not sure of the exact number of gruntas, there were simply enough to kill me. 😛

It was corner box deployments with 3 objectives in the center. I used the mawpot to minimize frontage he could hit me on. Unfortunately, I didn't read the warscroll to see that it was impassable. It would have drastically changed the game. (only getting hit by 5 instead of 10 goregruntas and no mawcrushas able to hit me after the gnoblars got obliterated.) In his defense, my opponent is the best player in our state. He's played ironjaws from the very beginning, so no bandwagon for him. Tis they who jumped on his wagon. XD

Basically, he boosted his pigs and double moved them a truly ridiculous number of inches (think it was something like 26 inches). They crawled over the pot like ticks, killing the slaughtermaster, 7 leadbelchers, and 20 gnoblars. Considering that his entire army save, 1 mawcrusha and the foot heroes, made it in with the extra damage attacks ... it went ... okay. Especially when the tyrant survived 2 pigs and then killed 3 of them back. XD (Go tyrant!) Smashing and bashing let him wipe out the entire front with no repercussions. My turn I wiped out the 6 man pig unit and would have crippled if not killed the 1st mawcrusha if my dice hadn't have betrayed me at the most inopportune moment. 2 shot out of 6 3+ attacks hit, and 1 failed to wound. He failed his save for ... 1 damage. Ow. My opponent won the roll off and basically wiped out everything but 1 belcher unit and 2 cannons. 

Lessons ... It was over so fast that it's a little hard to pick up lessons. Screening is obviously key vs ironjaws. "If you screen your army well, then we can have a game," as eloquently put by my opponent. Ugh, I'm still bothered by my forgetting the impassable rule. My list struggles vs the non-hero, super cavalry, armies that are common from the latest books. (You might notice a trend) I did learn to not always place the gorgers in ambush. Would've served far better as screens than going for his heroes.

Game 2 vs Living cities

Spoiler

Freeguild general

wizard

2x10 crossbows

20 swordsmen

2x4 fuminators, (might have been 6. I don't remember)

hydra

I'm a little hazy on his list honestly

I did my standard deploy in the center to give best flexibility trick and he put both fulminators in ambush. Having learned my lesson from the ironjaws and put a gorger on each side to screen out the inevitable ambush instead of in reserves. He took first turn and shot down 2 belchers from different units and disintegrated the right-hand gorger with the first fulminator unit and managed to get a 9 inch charge that obliterated a belcher unit and its firebelly. Caught a blaster in combat too. It did a few wounds to them. My turn I focused my firepower on wiping out a crossbow unit. Did that and peppered the fulminators as best I could. Got 2 of them. The remaining gorger and a leadbelcher unit moved up and charged the swordsmen guarding the general. Considering the potential damage between them, they whiffed hard and killed 5 of them.

My opponent won the turn and moved his heroes away and decided to drop the other fulminators on the right to release the other unit. Fortunately for me, they failed to kill the cannon and one haggard crossbow unit struggled to make up for it with 1 belcher kill. The dracoths did manage to finish the cannon in melee though. The swordsmen finally felt the wrath of the leadbelchers they were engaged with and were wiped out. My turn I went for a bold strategy. I threw my tyrant at the now exposed general, pointed the cannons at the smaller fulminator unit and tried to chip down the new one. 1 fulminator, a couple wounds on the hydra, and most of the other crossbow unit fell to my fire. The tyrant killed the general with impact hits alone and then slew the hydra. (My tyrant is a monster. I'm so proud *sniff*) Sadly the cannons mostly flubbed their shooting (again) and charged in to finish the last fulminator. They took some damage but did the job.

It was now the tyrant, 2 cannons, 3 and 2 belchers, the slaughtermaster, a gorger, and the butcher vs 1 mage and 4 fulminators. Easy, right? My opponent won the roll off and took the turn. My cannons were sitting in a nice blob with the 2 casters on the right while the leadbelchers were scattered. He hit the tyrant with all 4 lightning blasts, taking him out. They then charged the blob and killed all of them. I now had 5 belchers and a gorger left. They unfortunately did not have the dice power to kill anything more than the wizard and were both wiped out in the following turns. (they did kill 1 fulminator at least)

That one was closer than the first at least. There were quite a few opportunities I could have won the game with some better dice rolls, but that's always the case. Outside of beastclaw units (and probably the tyrant XD) I don't feel like we have good tools to deal with that high armor and high damage from the fulminators. Blobbing up was my big mistake. It let them focus on 1 target and there's almost nothing that can survive a good charge from them.

I'm tired, so ultra fast version of the last one. Vs Nurgle, mortal plague fly army. I spread out and tried to use the gorgers as screens on the flanks again. Cannons in center. My opponent had a small fly unit and his general in reserves.

Spoiler

Mortal drone hero

Belakor

2x4 mortal flies

2x2 mortal flies

(think that was everything *shrug*)

My opponent took first turn (tends to happen with 14+ drops) and double moved the flies into my face and charged me with everything. I lost 2 belcher units and another half unit. In exchange he lost 1 fly. Ow. My turn I killed belakor and another 4 flies (from different units but lost the butcher, the firebelly, and another couple belchers. It was small solace that the tyrant killed Belakor.

My opponent won priority and closed in on my bastion of (constantly missing) cannons. I lost 1.5 cannons, a gorger, and the last leadbelchers. Wounded, but failed to kill any flies. Tyrant went for broke and finished the big fly unit and the cannons mangled the other. I was basically out of steam at this point though and he hadn't dropped his general yet. I lost priority here and decided to slink into the shadows with my tyrant still alive. 

Out ground by nurgle. To be expected, but I really underestimated the damage of the fly boys. They easily wiped out a leadbelcher unit and were tough enough to not expect to lose a model if they let you swing first. To be fair, my opponent was rolling his ward saves like a god, but I don't accept such lazy excuses from myself. My opponent actually apologized multiple times for how well he was rolling. XD Great guy. I underestimated the flies, it won't happen again. Lots of small attacks.

Hope this was educational or at least entertaining for you all. Hope you have a wonderful rest of your week. For the Maw!!

Edited by TheArborealWalrus

On 1/30/2022 at 7:42 AM, Jmason said:

It could be because he is slowed down by the gnoblars and the monkey. But we really don't have to worry about warscroll changes any time soon since destruction don't have a tome on the roadmap and I'm pretty sure gits will get theirs before us. Maybe we will get a wd update though.

Edited by Fiddybucks

On 1/30/2022 at 8:53 PM, Schauer said:

It’s an interesting question and it might be the case. I played a game against ironjawz on Friday and my opponent had mentioned some of his units got their movement reduced by an inch or two.

I always heard that the idea was to make the game better fit the size of an average kitchen table.

On 2/2/2022 at 5:26 AM, Drazhoath said:

Last weekend I had a Team match with my Ogors and Stormcasts vs Nurgle and Nighthaunt. 3000 points wach Player. What a blast!

I took Kragnos and a lot of Stonehorns. The 3d6 charge is awesome! The faces of the players priceless😁

The Highlight: Kragnos charged a GUO and deals 30 mortal wounds.

For my next Game I will try this list:

Army Faction: Ogor Mawtribes
    - Army Subfaction: Bloodgullet

LEADER

Icebrow Hunter (125)
    - General

Kragnos (720)

BATTLELINE

1 x Frost Sabres (110)

Frost Sabres (55)

Frost Sabres (55)

Frost Sabres (55)

TERRAIN

Great Mawpot (0)

TOTAL POINTS: (1980/2000)

I'm going to try a similar list for a league. I have a question, double Frostlord and remove the two Stones for dogs and one for mournfang?

- Army Faction: Ogor Mawtribes

- Subfaction: Boulderhead

- Triumph: Inspired

LEADERS

Kragnos (720)

- Artefacts of Power: Brand of the Svard

Icebrow Hunter (125)

- General

- Command Traits: Lord of Beasts

BATTLELINE

2 x Frost Sabres (55)

1 x Stonehorn Beastriders (320)

- Blood Vulture

- Blood Vulture

TOTAL POINTS: 1970/2000

7 hours ago, Iamanbo said:

I'm going to try a similar list for a league. I have a question, double Frostlord and remove the two Stones for dogs and one for mournfang?

- Army Faction: Ogor Mawtribes

- Subfaction: Boulderhead

- Triumph: Inspired

LEADERS

Kragnos (720)

- Artefacts of Power: Brand of the Svard

Icebrow Hunter (125)

- General

- Command Traits: Lord of Beasts

BATTLELINE

2 x Frost Sabres (55)

- Blood Vulture

- Blood Vulture

TOTAL POINTS: 1970/2000

Had a similar idea but I recognised that you always need a hero near the Stonehorn Riders. They NEED all out attack because without the +1 hit, the horns make to less damage. So I think a Frostlord with Black Clatterhorn is better🤔

I like this one

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Boulderhead
- Grand Strategy: 
- Triumphs: 

Leaders
Kragnos, The End of Empires (720)
Icebrow Hunter (125)
- General
Huskard on Stonehorn (340)
- Blood Vulture
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn