AoS 3.0 - Ogor Mawtribes Discussion

Charleston

Welcome to the Matwtribe Foodcorner! Grab a leg, some grot-fries and join out talk about which villages to raid to get the best snacks in Ghur!

If you are new and you ask yourself what Ogor Mawtribes are:

Devouring their way through the realms, ogors are a scourge upon all beings. Whether living or dead, beast, plant, or inanimate object, nothing is safe from their insatiable hunger. Ogor armies are made up of elite troops and monsters backed up by expendable gnoblars.

Ogor Mawtribe Unite two Ogor cultures: The monstrous cavalry of the Beastclaw Raiders and the footslogging Gutbusters. Typical for Ogors are big wound pools with rather lowish save and bravery but paired with some meaty fists that punch at solid 2 Damage. Also Ogors have access to some shooting profiles which, why not reliable, are always good for some lucky punches. There is even a suballigience that is centered around our canon wielding units! Talking about suballigiences, we have some with a focus on Gutbusters and some with a focus on Beastclaw units. Focus means that some certain synnergies and models are affected more than others, but there is still little to no reason to not mix and match how you desire!  

Talking about building your dream army: Mawtribes are great for conversions! From swapping mounts for the Beastclaw Riders to swapping around bits between kits up to making whole realm-themed armies there is a lot of room to be creative on Mawtribes! The low model count is also a good argument to paint up an army in a shorter timeframe which is always a great motivation for newer and older players!

The current (2.0) Battletome provides us many different playstyles that allow for great casual and competetive builds. I am sure we will see many cool lists and discussions in this thread as we had in the last one!

ogor-mawtribes-1.jpg.7276d093968f683ed5d1d53b8081bb90.jpg

Edited by Charleston
  • Like 3

I played a coupl of games and have to admit that FLoSH is even better then before. Usind all out Defense or all out Attack on a FLoSH ist very strong. 

The possibility to choose the same Mount Trait (in a Boulderhead List) is crazy. I played 3 FLoSH all of them with Metalcruncher. So many MW on charges and pre combat that most Units die even before combat so that my FL can pile in to the 2nd row/heroes behind the destroyed screen.

The smaller field is often in a 18" distance what is nothing for a 14" or 15" moving FLoSH. Just throw 3 of them in your list, 3x 2 Mournfang and a Slaugthermaster for awesome Buffs and pott using in the 2nd battle round.

• Like 1

Alas I only have Stonehorn Beastriders and no Mournfangs, but I can still fit 2 FLoSHs in with 3 SHBRs.  And I think at least 1 Slaughtermaster too.

I haven't fought with my Ogors in 3.0 yet, but they will practice vs my Sons of Behemat soon.  And then I might pit my Gutbusters vs the BCRs as well, and vs the SoBs for a mini Destruction tournament.  Ironguts plus Bloodgullet sure looks good on paper.  

Hi all, I was wondering if I could get some thoughts on my Ogor army. I started building it just before Covid was a thing so I've not got many games in, but I do feel it's missing something after a few games (against OBR, Seraphon and SCE). I wanted to do an all infantry army, but I've quickly come to the conclusion (with some proxying) that I need a big beastie. I've got the list below:

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
Butcher (135)
- General
- Cleaver
Butcher (135)
- Cleaver
Slaughtermaster (140)
4 x Ironguts (245)
4 x Leadbelchers (180)
4 x Leadbelchers (180)
6 x Ogor Gluttons (260)
- Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists
Ironblaster (130)
Ironblaster (130)

Total: 1535 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 111
Drops: 9

This can be run as either Underguts, or Bloodgullet (which is my preference as I'll explain in a minute) and I do have room and no issue buying additional models if people feel they would be better. I know the FLOSH is the clear winner, but has anyone had any success with the Huskard (on either mount (tempting to try the priest option))?

My second question is more around theme / models. My idea around this army is they're Ogors who have 'eaten' demons (namely Tzeentch), because of this, models are starting to become possessed, the lesser models more so, my firebelly rides a disk, my cauldron is actually a portal for example. I want my big guy to be gifted a Mutalith Votex Beast to ride on, I'd always assumed it would be my stonehorn, but do you think you'd accept it as such, or would it be more suited to be a thundertusk? I'll just mount my Tyrant on it as he does nothing for me on foot.  This will obviously be linked to my first question.

As another thought I've just had, what do people think about Leadbelchers? In theory they seem like they should be decent, but mine always underwhelm (even when part of Underguts)

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

• Like 3

I'm about to turn in the Tournament list for next week. It is a random team-tournament with 2x1000pts per side. My list will be 1x Frostlord on SH, 2 Mournfangs and 1x SH Beastrider.

I am not sure about the Setup for the Frostlord. While I am 100% sure to take the Arcane Tome Enchancement to make the Lord a Mage (with Levitate and Emerald Lifeswarm as Spells), I am still struggeling with the Warlord-trait to choose. I see two options:

1. Nomadic Raider - Rerolling Wounds when going Frenzy in the enems territory sounds like a fair plan to me, especially as the mount profits as well. 
  2. Touched by the Everwinter - The wonky one. Making a Caster-Wizzard will make the Frostlord an even bigger target than it already is. But then there is the chance to stop enemy priests as well as the access to either a 3" movement buff (17"+2W6 Frostlord threat range) or another heal on a 3+ (which is ridiculous as the Emerald Lifeswarm can already Heal 2W6 the turn it is cast) 

Any opinion or experience on this?

@cascadingmilk

I like your list, althrough I am not 100% sold on the Slaughtermaster outside of Glutton heavy lists for some reason. I'd almost suggest a Tyrrant instead? Also don't expect too much from Ironblasters. I use 1 in fun games as I love the model but it never got it's points back.

As for the Frostlord: Currently Thundertusk Frostlord seems to have a come back. He is cheap enough to be fielded with 3 monsters in 1000pts lists, the -1 to hit is a quite nice advantage and while not killy and durable as the SH it still looks solid, especially due to the price tag. 

As for the Chaos taint of your Ogors: Sounds great! I can only encourage to convert armies to certain themes, I did so with Ogors myself. For the Idea of a Mutalith Beast: The Slaughterbrute/Mutalith is a reasonable base for a conversion but you should concider how to make it easier for your opponent to spot it as a SH or a Thundertusk. I for my own find the Mutalith more reasonable for a TT and the Slaughterbrute for a SH due to their brute nature. You could also go rampant and swap some bits around to turn the SH/TT kit and the Mutalith Kit in to wicked monsters. I've done the first step in this direction with my Beastriders on SH.

As for Leadbelchers: Last time I played them was in 1.0 and they felt more usefull than Gluttons. Solid shooting and rend in close combat felt nice. Althrough Rend -1 lost impact in 3.0 

_DSC9367.JPG.4b0e41cecc43add621ee847e47de7a63.JPG

@Dejnar They lose their Behemoth keyword when made battleline so they would count as troops for the battalions yes.

@Charleston Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll see if I can get a photo up of some of my dudes, I've been playing WHFB / AOS since the mid 90's but this is the first time I've ever built troops that aren't straight out of the box, my 'conversions' are basic but I'm happy with them :) I took the Slaughtermaster for the Bloodgullet tribe, gets me a different warscroll spell, some more healing and another wizard. I could easily swap for my firebelly for the -1 to hit or the Tyrant (if doing the Underguts I probably would). The only time I've had success with my ironblasters is when I take the 2 and stick the +1 attack command trait on them, I agree though it's the hitting on 4s, I do seem to have more success just charging them in. I love what you've done for your stonehorn, maybe I need to follow a similar route. Buy both kits, and make 2 out of them that are clearly TT or SH. I've had a thought about putting mournfang on screamers so I can make use of the SC box still. 

I'll keep having a think, I wonder if taking the Huskard on TT is a good idea as frees up points for either gnoblars or 2x2 cats for screening

17 hours ago, cascadingmilk said:

Hi all, I was wondering if I could get some thoughts on my Ogor army. I started building it just before Covid was a thing so I've not got many games in, but I do feel it's missing something after a few games (against OBR, Seraphon and SCE). I wanted to do an all infantry army, but I've quickly come to the conclusion (with some proxying) that I need a big beastie. I've got the list below:

- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
Butcher (135)
- General
- Cleaver
Butcher (135)
- Cleaver
Slaughtermaster (140)
4 x Ironguts (245)
4 x Leadbelchers (180)
4 x Leadbelchers (180)
6 x Ogor Gluttons (260)
- Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists
Ironblaster (130)
Ironblaster (130)

Total: 1535 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 111
Drops: 9

This can be run as either Underguts, or Bloodgullet (which is my preference as I'll explain in a minute) and I do have room and no issue buying additional models if people feel they would be better. I know the FLOSH is the clear winner, but has anyone had any success with the Huskard (on either mount (tempting to try the priest option))?

My second question is more around theme / models. My idea around this army is they're Ogors who have 'eaten' demons (namely Tzeentch), because of this, models are starting to become possessed, the lesser models more so, my firebelly rides a disk, my cauldron is actually a portal for example. I want my big guy to be gifted a Mutalith Votex Beast to ride on, I'd always assumed it would be my stonehorn, but do you think you'd accept it as such, or would it be more suited to be a thundertusk? I'll just mount my Tyrant on it as he does nothing for me on foot.  This will obviously be linked to my first question.

As another thought I've just had, what do people think about Leadbelchers? In theory they seem like they should be decent, but mine always underwhelm (even when part of Underguts)

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Just my opinion on this one but Ironblasters I probably wouldnt bring unless im dropping a Tyrant with trophies to guarantee their damage a bit more. You would be better off using that 260 for gluttons especially if youre running gullet. 

38 minutes ago, Schauer said:

Just my opinion on this one but Ironblasters I probably wouldnt bring unless im dropping a Tyrant with trophies to guarantee their damage a bit more. You would be better off using that 260 for gluttons especially if youre running gullet. 

Tyrant with Trophy Rack is a trap until you are already full on Artillery. On average the +1 to hit buff gives less damage than just adding another Ironblaster which is cheaper and doesn't waste an artefact.

6 hours ago, HostilSpike said:

Tyrant with Trophy Rack is a trap until you are already full on Artillery. On average the +1 to hit buff gives less damage than just adding another Ironblaster which is cheaper and doesn't waste an artefact.

If you aren’t running underguts for double shots, it is a waste to take cannons at all I my opinion. With one shot, too much can go wrong (missed hit/wound, opponent makes save, or you roll low for damage). There are better options out there. 

Course, if you like the aesthetic and want to have fun, go nuts. Four scraplaunchers is not going to do well, but it will be fun to watch that goofy list get picked apart haha. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mokoshkana said:

If you aren’t running underguts for double shots, it is a waste to take cannons at all I my opinion. With one shot, too much can go wrong (missed hit/wound, opponent makes save, or you roll low for damage). There are better options out there. 

Course, if you like the aesthetic and want to have fun, go nuts. Four scraplaunchers is not going to do well, but it will be fun to watch that goofy list get picked apart haha. 

Aye, I agree. I'd personally only be looking at Underguts to give Leadbelchers a go filling out battleline around a block of 8 Ironguts at which point it seems worthwhile to drop a couple of cannons in to take advantage of the command ability. I just can't see investing more than 260 points in it generating the necessary returns.

In terms of tribes it still feels like you'd be better off leaving that all at home and sticking with Boulderhead or Bloodgullet depending on your hero choices or Winterbite if you're scared of shooting.

1 hour ago, Mokoshkana said:

Don't forget Ironblasters can do 6 shots up close, and they hit on 3+.  With that, Blubbergrub Stench, and just combat I think one could clear out a low count chaff unit like Gors in one go.

18 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Don't forget Ironblasters can do 6 shots up close, and they hit on 3+.  With that, Blubbergrub Stench, and just combat I think one could clear out a low count chaff unit like Gors in one go.

Let’s ignore the spell for a moment and just look at statistics. With its multi shot, it’s going to average 4 hits, then 2.66 wounds before saves with a rend -1. Probably doing about 2 damage per shooting phase with one before any ward saves enter the picture. 

As for melee, it hits on 4s so you’re averaging 1 hit and 0.66 wounds before saves. Assuming you charged, if the defender fails it’s save, you do an average of 3 damage. So I’m one shooting and combat save, you’re averaging 5 damage per cannon. That’s not great. 

You can add in the caster and take the chance on the spell, but why not just field a unit of iron guts instead that will be cheaper, hits harder, and most importantly counts for more bodies on an objective. 

Unfortunately the battletomes don’t have good internal balance, so we’re always going to have “better” and “worse” choices. However if you like cannons, give them a whirl and try your best to make them good 😎

20 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Yeah and even if you aren’t able to do so, I doubt that those gors will even be able to do anything (at least with their current battletome)

Oh there will be Ironguts :D  I see your points and I'm sure they'll be proven correct and then I'll end up using it for conversion parts (and the Ironblaster kit is amazing for that!).  Still, I'd run 2 Ironblasters over 6 Gluttons any day, even in 2.0 they performed pretty poorly when I used them.

But Gors never ever do anything, that's for sure.

- Mawtribe: Bloodgullet

- Grand Strategy: Predator's Domain

- Triumphs: Indomitable

LEADERS

Tyrant (160)* 

- General

- Command Trait: Nice Drop of the Red Stuff!

- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny

- Big Name: Fateseeker

Butcher (135)*

- Cleaver

- Artefact: Splatter-cleaver

- Bloodgullet 2nd Spell: Blood Feast

- Lore of Gutmagic: Greasy Deluge

Butcher (135)*** 

- Tenderiser

- Lore of Gutmagic: Ribcracker

Frostlord on Stonehorn (430)*

- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher

UNITS

3 x Maneaters (180)*** 

4 x Ironguts (245)** 

4 x Ironguts (245)** 

4 x Ironguts (245)**

4 x Leadbelchers (180)*

ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS

Chronomantic Cogs (45)

CORE BATTALIONS

*Warlord

**Hunters of the Heartlands

***Vanguard

Tinkering with non-Undergut lists. I figured this mostly non-shooty list might work. I have most of it already, so it would just require some Maneaters I was already planning on converting for fun anyhow. 

Thoughts?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PainfullyMediocre said:

Do Stonehorn Beastriders have much use any more? A Huskard is 10 points more and has some much more utility from mount traits and heroic actions.

Huskards are not battleline. When stonehorn beastriders are, they do not count towards the behemoth limit. So I’d say yes, they still have use. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I have the SHBRs for my BCR general's battleline.  Even when I take an Icebrow Hunter, usually I'll go 4-6 Frost Sabres as 1 battleline for him and then 1-2 SHBRs.  HoSH is good for when there's not enough points for a FLoSH though, or when taking some Mournfangs.  

On 8/9/2021 at 2:14 PM, Oldhat said:

- Mawtribe: Bloodgullet

- Grand Strategy: Predator's Domain

- Triumphs: Indomitable

LEADERS

Tyrant (160)* 

- General

- Command Trait: Nice Drop of the Red Stuff!

- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny

- Big Name: Fateseeker

Butcher (135)*

- Cleaver

- Artefact: Splatter-cleaver

- Lore of Gutmagic: Greasy Deluge

Butcher (135)*** 

- Tenderiser

- Lore of Gutmagic: Ribcracker

Frostlord on Stonehorn (430)*

- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher

UNITS

3 x Maneaters (180)*** 

4 x Ironguts (245)** 

4 x Ironguts (245)** 

4 x Ironguts (245)**

4 x Leadbelchers (180)*

ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS

Chronomantic Cogs (45)

CORE BATTALIONS

*Warlord

**Hunters of the Heartlands

***Vanguard

Tinkering with non-Undergut lists. I figured this mostly non-shooty list might work. I have most of it already, so it would just require some Maneaters I was already planning on converting for fun anyhow. 

Thoughts?

That's a fun army, similar to what I want to run vs SoBs in my next practice match.  Don't have the Maneaters but they seem pretty good now.  I wonder how they compare to Yhetees in effective fast alpha shocks?  I saw that Maneaters can do their own CAs.  For some reason I though Ironguts had that somehow too?  But perhaps I was dreaming that.

9 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Yeah, I have the SHBRs for my BCR general's battleline.  Even when I take an Icebrow Hunter, usually I'll go 4-6 Frost Sabres as 1 battleline for him and then 1-2 SHBRs.  HoSH is good for when there's not enough points for a FLoSH though, or when taking some Mournfangs.  

That's a fun army, similar to what I want to run vs SoBs in my next practice match.  Don't have the Maneaters but they seem pretty good now.  I wonder how they compare to Yhetees in effective fast alpha shocks?  I saw that Maneaters can do their own CAs.  For some reason I though Ironguts had that somehow too?  But perhaps I was dreaming that.

Unit champions allow the use of command points so Ironguts are self sufficient as long as you don't let your Gutlord die 😁

• Like 1