What should I play in V3?

Hey,

I've been playing AoS on and off for a while. I sold off my Skaven a year ago (which I now regret) and my only army is OBR.. who don't really play the same game as everyone else. I'm comiy back from a year's break and my army.. you're probably sick of reading the salt.

While you can polish a ******, I don't know if polishing this ****** is worth my effort.

From a competitive stance, what do you think is going to be good in V3?

My team already has a pretty deep bench of all the best options. I just picked up Dominion and kind of regret it.

Soulblight? Daughters? Kharadron? Something else? I don't know.

What are you enjoying? What do you think will be A+/S tier?

I'm kind of walking in decision fatigue circles.

Sons of behemath and lumineths seems gonna be the top because every 3.0 rule seems done around them.

Seeing the tops of 2.0: 

tzenth seems gonna be top but i dont think so broken as 2.0 because they lost his battallion and big nerfs in points

idoneths seems gonna be top because the turtle is the best behemoth of the game and 3.0 buff behemots.also they got the lesser nerfs in points of all the top 2.0 armys

Khaos with archaon and kairos gonna vey likely continue being top as they got more buffs than nerfs with 3.0

Kharadrons seems continue being top and better than 2.0 as they avoided every nerf of 3.0  and almost 0 nerfs in points

Dok got some nerfs to prayers and pointd(but they were wayyyyy undercosted) buy morathi continue being overpower and they have tye same combo,they arent so broken as 2.0 but continue being top

But this is only my opinion 

Edited by Doko

I dislike Lumineth and team mates are working on Deepkin and Tzeentch.

As for Sons, I don't think they're a style of play I'd enjoy. My 40k army is Drukhari- fast moving, hard hitting glass hammer with decent shooting.

The group I play with are competitive- so I need to be able to handle BS like Salamanders spam and double Mawkrusha.

Because it's unknown. I was going to start Kruelbois, hoping they'd be good. That's still a possibility- a mortal wound spamming horde army with monster and shooting support, could work for me.

As for the Stormcast, I wasn't sure I'd play them. They're weak to mortal wound spam due to being elite and traditionally haven't been a top shelf competitive army. 

It comes down to this.. I want an army to play now. Not maybe in a month or two. 

4 minutes ago, Doko said:

Kharadrons list are the same than 2.0 with little changes.

Dok have many options,only needed morathi+15 snake archers for the core.

That sounds decent. I want an army that can play every phase.

I looked at how much Sons cost and was like ooooof. Australian dollars suck.

1 hour ago, Doko said:

Kharadrons seems continue being top and better than 2.0 as they avoided every nerf of 3.0  and almost 0 nerfs in points

Their Aethergold got substantially nerfed and they don't have access to monsters so they wont be able to deny command abilities unless they use Spell-in-a-bottle Geminids.

Probably wait until the Stormcast and new Warclans book comes out.

Now, when you say competitive do you mean you plan on bringing your armies to tournaments; or are you just playing meta chase with your buddies? Because if you're bringing your army to tournaments, you get the best results over time by sticking with one army. If youre just trying playing meta chase with your buddies, you probably already lost because they picked the armies that GW have consistently had the hardest time keeping their power reigned in.

Personally I think your best bet is to do something with big bench like CoS and sticking with it.

Edited by Sinfullyvannila
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Doko said:

Ignore this

13 minutes ago, Sinfullyvannila said:

Probably wait until the Stormcast and new Warclans book comes out.

Now, when you say competitive do you mean you plan on bringing your armies to tournaments; or are you just playing meta chase with your buddies? Because if you're bringing your army to tournaments, you get the best results over time by sticking with one army. If youre just trying playing meta chase with your buddies, you probably already lost because they picked the armies that GW have consistently had the hardest time keeping their power reigned in.

You're on the money, there. I'm a tournament player, solo and team. So I have to think about what the others are playing.

They're meta chasers- me not so much. But I play with them and thus I feel the need to play something that can compete. There's actually a trophy that only has our name on it. Twice. 

Of the group for the next team event..

One guy is kind of playing everything and is the most flexible. He just ordered Sons. 

Another has Blightlords and is working on Deepkin.

Another is working on Tzeentch.

Another is working on Kharadron, has Lumineth.

Another has Seraphon and just ordered Frostlords.

And then there's me, with OBR. An army that is fundamentally broken in AOS3.

Honestly, I'm kinda looking at Daughters, Soulblight or Kharadron.

Edited by Obeisance
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lord Veshnakar said:

Since you have the army already, why not try playing a little bit with OBR rather than just speculating. Not trying to be combative, just a thought.

No, that's fair enough.

I had a game yesterday against a good opponent and he was able to do so much more than me, because he was able to use the general command abilities.

I believe that Redeploy is going to make or break games. I've played enough different games over the years to know that out of activation movement is always king.

Redeploy, Unleash Hell and Rally define AOS3 and OBR can't use any of it. 

When you lose 8/20 Morteks on the charge, you know you're boned.

Edit: I'll be continuing to play them for now, until I get another army running.

Edited by Obeisance
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Obeisance said:

Hey,

I've been playing AoS on and off for a while. I sold off my Skaven a year ago (which I now regret) and my only army is OBR.. who don't really play the same game as everyone else. I'm comiy back from a year's break and my army.. you're probably sick of reading the salt.

While you can polish a ******, I don't know if polishing this ****** is worth my effort.

From a competitive stance, what do you think is going to be good in V3?

My team already has a pretty deep bench of all the best options. I just picked up Dominion and kind of regret it.

Soulblight? Daughters? Kharadron? Something else? I don't know.

What are you enjoying? What do you think will be A+/S tier?

I'm kind of walking in decision fatigue circles.

Mate there is only one truly great and powerful army in the new edition, and that is the skaven.

with broken realms kragnos and the new core ruled, the skaven basically became an amazing army.

Although having stoemvermins and plague monks, basically ripped from play, many of our units still are very viable.

3 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Mate there is only one truly great and powerful army in the new edition, and that is the skaven.

with broken realms kragnos and the new core ruled, the skaven basically became an amazing army.

Although having stoemvermins and plague monks, basically ripped from play, many of our units still are very viable.

I sold my Skaven like a year+ ago. I reached out to the guy who purchased them..

He sold them FOUR DAYS AGO!

So sad.

Edit:

That said, tell me more about Skaven goodness in V3.

Edited by Obeisance

3 hours ago, Sinfullyvannila said:

Their Aethergold got substantially nerfed and they don't have access to monsters so they wont be able to deny command abilities unless they use Spell-in-a-bottle Geminids.

My 3.0 experience is a bit low (I'm still learning and doing a lot of stupid mistakes).

I would add that KOs don't have high number of good attacks, and mostly, our main gimmick is -1/-2 rend. This edition has a lot of +1 saves that counters rend so expect to do a lot less dmg.

We could turn our average profiles (3+/4+ and 4+/3+) because we had some sources of rerolls (mainly CA and Triumphs), and we lost both of them to flat +1hit/+1wound (one use). Not as good as before but it's something. Btw, we still have one-time big dmg buff, but remember that can be countered if the opponent see that incoming.

We still have one of the best movement phases (mainly High Fly) but we don't have the main 3.0 new toys: monsters, wizards (to make any other unit a monsters or just mystic shield) and priests nor any combination of that (Hero+Monster seems awesome). We have Unleash Hell as one of the best features of this edition, so use it as best you can (it's awesome!).

I think that KOs are a really fun and strong, we just need to play a lot better versus our real counters (mainly Giants, Sylvaneth, IDK and any other army that can take points with monsters or units with a reliable source of +2 or +3 saves).

Edited by Beliman

3 hours ago, Beliman said:

My 3.0 experience is a bit low (I'm still learning and doing a lot of stupid mistakes).

I would add that KOs don't have high number of good attacks, and mostly, our main gimmick is -1/-2 rend. This edition has a lot of +1 saves that counters rend so expect to do a lot less dmg.

We could turn our average profiles (3+/4+ and 4+/3+) because we had some sources of rerolls (mainly CA and Triumphs), and we lost both of them to flat +1hit/+1wound (one use). Not as good as before but it's something. Btw, we still have one-time big dmg buff, but remember that can be countered if the opponent see that incoming.

We still have one of the best movement phases (mainly High Fly) but we don't have the main 3.0 new toys: monsters, wizards (to make any other unit a monsters or just mystic shield) and priests nor any combination of that (Hero+Monster seems awesome). We have Unleash Hell as one of the best features of this edition, so use it as best you can (it's awesome!).

I think that KOs are a really fun and strong, we just need to play a lot better versus our real counters (mainly Giants, Sylvaneth, IDK and any other army that can take points with monsters or units with a reliable source of +2 or +3 saves).

That is some good info, but i am going to point out that save stacking hurts armies that dont have wide access to -1 rend than an army that does.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Obeisance said:

I sold my Skaven like a year+ ago. I reached out to the guy who purchased them..

He sold them FOUR DAYS AGO!

So sad.

Edit:

That said, tell me more about Skaven goodness in V3.

You can go soulblight and for 1-1.5 year it's a pretty safe bet.

Also the kruleboyz seems promising.

Edited by baiardo

If you buy an army just for their rules, you are just setting yourself up for disappointment in the very near future. But that seems to be a thing in your gaming group. 

GW competitive rules are churn and burn at this stage. You might think you've bought a competitive army, but that edge can just as well be gone in less than a years time. 

That being said, I don't think OBR are as shafted as many seem to think they are. You'll not be spamming Mortek guard anymore, but that army still has plenty of gas in the tank if you actually consider the points changes were extremely mild on them. 

• Like 1

I think slaves to darkness can do some work in the new edition. Be'Lakor is solid now that he has access to a few combat buffs and went down in points, and he can handily counter single death starts or super powered hero monsters for a turn. The khorne daemon prince can also massively abuse redeploy with his command ability making even a roll of a 1 become a minimum 8" charge. Otherwise the army doesn't have much in terms of ranged attacks or speed, but it is seriously resilient and can put out good damage with the right units. It also has a ton of variety and options between the number of units and different choices in marks which makes it more resilient to shifts in the meta. 

Edited by Grimrock

I think if I was starting from scratch it would be Kruel boys or Gravelords.Lots of monsters,new books and you know they will be around awhile with little changes to them.They look like decent armies and should survive any meta changes going forward.