AoS3 - Kruleboyz Discussion

Newtype_Zero

On 6/28/2021 at 9:16 AM, NauticalSoup said:

In an edition where -1 to hit is of reduced utility because it doesn't stack. 

Without some kind of big upgrade Gutrippas are basically just much worse Savage Orruks at a higher price. They'll be totally reliant on Allegiance abilities and faction synergies to be worth using as anything other than minimum battleline which means they'll probably be useless in Big Waaagh!

Still not as bad as Hobgrots though lol

I have two sets of the Kruleboyz I’m assembling right now…is this a weak army? Because (bear in mind I’m a noob) that’s the vibe I’m picking up so far (Guts overcosted, Hobs terrible)…?

2 minutes ago, MiniJunkie said:

I have two sets of the Kruleboyz I’m assembling right now…is this a weak army? Because (bear in mind I’m a noob) that’s the vibe I’m picking up so far (Guts overcosted, Hobs terrible)…?

Not necessarily. The main issue is that their battletome hasn't been released yet, should be out in august; Until then we don't have their full ruleset. I dont think they'll be weak when the battletome is released and we have the rest of the kruleboyz units to play with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All we can say for the moment is the warscrolls and prices as we've seen aren't particularly competitive against the other tools currently available in Warclans. If that's going to change remains to be seen. For reference, we also have no idea what will become of Ironjawz and Savage Orruks - the entire book is an unknown, could be largely reprinted or it could be totally overhauled. Could be powerful, weak, or anything in between.

We can really only speculate.

1 hour ago, MiniJunkie said:

Mortal Wounds on all 6s to Hit on every unit in the army is very strong.  And the Swampcalla Shaman is super good at buffing that on a unit to a 5+, and then a 2nd one could cast the Mist.  

It will be very interesting to see what buffs they get with a Big Waaagh in the next Warclans tome, plus what the heck Kragnos (their new venerated god) will do for them and all other Orruks as well.  I'm guessing he'll provide plain hard battleshock immunity in either a bubble or army wide if he's the general.  

With the new monsters, and being a new faction they want to sell, they'll be strong enough but probably in a different way than Ironjawz.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MiniJunkie said:

So here’s the thing… We only have their limited rules from the dominion box set. From what is shared with us, gutrippaz are currently lacking their command models, meaning we don’t have access to their musician and banner bearers rules yet. They will also have a second weapon option that is not available yet. All of this will be added in the seperate unit box release. For boltboyz, the same is the case.

On top of that all we have currently is the armies allegiance ability, which only works for Kruleboyz orruks, hence why people bash on the grots, they don’t benefit from the mortal wounds rule(at least with the rules in dominion). They also weirdly lack a battleline role and with their low stats, they are only good for chaff duty, in which you need a killaboss nearby, or they will run in droves(bravery 4). 

But what people need to realize as well is that their full rules are still coming. First of all, we don’t know the rules of all the revealed models outside of the dominion set. A lot are heroes that could provide us with some crazy synergetic rules. We don’t know what those extra command models will offer the existing units. We don’t know about artefacts, traits of the army. We don’t know about Warclans, which will have additional rules on top of the allegiance rules. We don’t even know about the full range of miniatures yet, since there’s still more units to be revealed.

Don’t worry about the army, it’s too early to tell if they are any kind of competitive. If you are in it for good rules, i very much suggest against jumping on a brand new faction. Even with full rules, people always need some time to get accustomed to a new faction. Some of them were initially thought to be not great, but turned out to be amazing. For now you should focus on the RuleofCool for the Kruleboyz man. Check out the full range and rules later, at least wait with judging the army till everything is known.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So we got the name and the possible look of our centerpiece character in the new short story bellow:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/07/05/broken-realms-fiction-kunnin/

Gobsprakk, Mouth of Mork.

By the description he is a shaman mounted on a vulture-wyvern hybrid with a big trophy-rack (we have a couple of vultures rumor enginees that could be for him). The story show some other bosses ridding the same kind of creature, which could point to a generic version as well.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Arzalyn said:

So we got the name and the possible look of our centerpiece character in the new short story bellow:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/07/05/broken-realms-fiction-kunnin/

Gobsprakk, Mouth of Mork.

By the description he is a shaman mounted on a vulture-wyvern hybrid with a big trophy-rack (we have a couple of vultures rumor enginees that could be for him). The story show some other bosses ridding the same kind of creature, which could point to a generic version as well.

"vulture-wyvern" sounds more fitting than "swamp-hawk" or "bat-scorpion". Lets hope it's a nice big kit to rival the Mawkrusha, in presence, if not in bulk. Nothing tops that bulky-boy. 

7 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

The rumor that mentioned the Mouth of Mork, did it mention anything else? As it’s proven true, if they mentioned anything else then it might add more credence to them too.

Sadly no, it just said the previous rumor about a bat-scorpion and the gattor were fake (which the last reveal confirmed) and that its mount would be a hawk (the story today described it like a raptor some times). Other than this rumor the only one left is the Grimdark initial one that said we would get some sort of wolf cavalry (probably lesser gnashtooths).

31 minutes ago, SunStorm said:

"vulture-wyvern" sounds more fitting than "swamp-hawk" or "bat-scorpion". Lets hope it's a nice big kit to rival the Mawkrusha, in presence, if not in bulk. Nothing tops that bulky-boy. 

In the reveal they mentioned that the Sludgeraker is our biggest model, so I doubt it will rival the mawcrusha in size...

Edited by Arzalyn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hahahaha! What an amazing story ayy lads? You gitz liked it? I love me some ogres mixed in the story as well. What a joy. 
Indeed Gobsprakk. A Shaman on a vulture-like wyvern. We know they have a scorpion tail from the cover of the warclans book. BUT BOIZ, are we really reading over this?

At the ruined castle’s top was what a flock of what Krugrump first took to be birds of prey, but then realised, given the scale of the fortress on which they were perched, were monstrous wyvern-like vultures big enough to carry a grunta in their talons. Each had a greenskin rider atop it. One of the riders, a hunched figure with four banners on its trophy rack, had taken a position higher than the others, and was gesticulating wildly as he held court.

Not only will Gobsprakk, Mouth of Mork likely be a thing. We will likely get an entire unit of these wyvern riding kruleboyz. Letssssssss goooooooooo Hahaha, so good man. I can't wait. Also it looks like Gobsprakk is looking for our big boi Gordrakk huh. What could possibly happen if those 2 meet up... 

• Like 1

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Hahahaha! What an amazing story ayy lads? You gitz liked it? I love me some ogres mixed in the story as well. What a joy. 
Indeed Gobsprakk. A Shaman on a vulture-like wyvern. We know they have a scorpion tail from the cover of the warclans book. BUT BOIZ, are we really reading over this?

Not only will Gobsprakk, Mouth of Mork likely be a thing. We will likely get an entire unit of these wyvern riding kruleboyz. Letssssssss goooooooooo Hahaha, so good man. I can't wait. Also it looks like Gobsprakk is looking for our big boi Gordrakk huh. What could possibly happen if those 2 meet up... 

And Gordrakk has been told to seek Gobsprakk out. I'm hoping they do a little fusion dance and become a mighty 2 headed avatar of Gorkamorka.

• Like 1

That was one of the best little stories I've read in a long long time!  From the Ogor perspective too, and a horror movie type of story from who is usually the bad guy in those Wrong Turn types.

Really looking forward to see the models for the new units.  And to seeing what they can do together.  Points will prohibitive for Gordrak, Gobsprakk, and Kragnos all in on Orruks army.  But all together I bet they'll nigh unstoppable.  Unless Kragnos lacks any further supportive rules.

2 hours ago, That Guy said:

I think it's more likely we'll get a dual kit Mouth of Mork/generic hero on corpse-rippa, rather than seeing a whole unit of wyvern-vulture riders.

I mean, it's not impossible, I just don't think it's very probable that we're gonna get full flying cav units.

Kruelboyz are kunnin' on multiple levels. Not least the fact that all their writers need to do to find their syntax for them is paraphrase the orcs and Goblins from Tolkien. I kid, sort of.

Here's my first boy. He's a good lad really, dont buy into the Kruel stigma.

20210704_192353.jpg

20210704_192332.jpg

20210704_192403.jpg

Edited by Nos
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 3

whoops missed the rule where you cant modify past +1 but i still stan this unit he’s hella good

Your lists should always be made at 1750 points because you would be crazy not to run two swampcallas.

for those who havent noticed and I’m late to the thread im a stormcast player. The swampcalla is possibly the most broken character in the game. He himself gives out +3 to save and only has to make one roll. Spell all out defense pot. And all for 5 points more than a castellant who does the same thing but only once. You’re also actually versatile a global army buff and increased mortal wounds on the tin? 

imagine one swampcalla and 40 hobgrotz on a 3+ save or 20 cruelboys on a 2+ who are battleshock immune sitting on an objective while kragnos and the rest of your army pressure the other half. Ridiculous 

Edited by Bozly

How is he giving out such high quality saves? He can either cast his spell, give +1 to saves to 1 unit or allow 1 unit to do mortals on 5+, he can only do 1, not all of them in the same turn. So best save the Orruks can get is 4+, the little guys can only get 5+.

He is amazing though for giving a unit mortals on 5+. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bozly said:

Your lists should always be made at 1750 points because you would be crazy not to run two swampcallas.

for those who havent noticed and I’m late to the thread im a stormcast player. The swampcalla is possibly the most broken character in the game. He himself gives out +3 to save and only has to make one roll. Spell all out defense pot. And all for 5 points more than a castellant who does the same thing but only once. You’re also actually versatile a global army buff and increased mortal wounds on the tin? 

imagine one swampcalla and 40 hobgrotz on a 3+ save or 20 cruelboys on a 2+ who are battleshock immune sitting on an objective while kragnos and the rest of your army pressure the other half. Ridiculous 

You can't improve a save by more than one. If you have multiple +1 to saves on a unit it just negates rend, so hobgrotz at best have a 5+ save and gutrippaz a 4+ save.

While I do agree the swampcalla is great, you can't use spells if you use his poison or elixir and the restriction on who they can give their buffs to make them difficult to use. To give a unit the buffs they have to be within 3" of the swampcalla, more than 3" away from any enemy units and wholly within 12" of the swampcalla. It is difficult to fulfill this on most units after turn 1 or two.

Honestly, swampcalla buffing boltboyz is underrated. Once units have met in the middle of the field, boltboyz basically wreck anything

Edited by Qrow
  • Like 1

I feel like, with the pot grot, he should be able to cast his spell, and hand out an elixir or poison to a unit in each turn. It’s pretty much a no brainer to apply poison to a unit atm, and it would still make sense that the unit could be taking the poison/elixir from the pot grot while the shaman casts a spell.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

I feel like, with the pot grot, he should be able to cast his spell, and hand out an elixir or poison to a unit in each turn. It’s pretty much a no brainer to apply poison to a unit atm, and it would still make sense that the unit could be taking the poison/elixir from the pot grot while the shaman casts a spell.

While I agree, I think it's mostly a balance issue. I'll run 2 swampcallas in pretty much every list, buff him more and the overpowered argument might actually hold water.

If any unit was going to get a buff based on what we have seen so far, I'd call for the murknob. Poor guy just doesn't do enough to justify taking him over anything else, for only 10 point more you get the swampcalla that can still dispell regards of using elixir/poison. I'm guessing he'll get some good artifacts or something in the battletome, but for now he is an awesome looking and not worth taking model.

• Like 1