AoS3 - Soulblight Gravelord Discussion

RuneBrush

Blood knights are going to be absolutely brilliant and I just can't wait. Easy access to 2+ save, constantly able to charge even if they're already in combat.

Also, with endless spells moving in each players turn - I think lifeswarm is a great option now to follow around a unit of blood knights. 2x chances to return a model in each battle round.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AHexInScarletRed said:

Does understrength mean that we can field 1 unit of 5 Wolves instead of 10?

You can always field an „understrength“ a unit, but in matched play you have to pay the full price for it… 🤓

1 minute ago, AHexInScarletRed said:

Is there any usage to be gotten out of that

You can use your understrength units from some boxes. Soulwars had some off numbered units, don’t know how often that happens…

4 hours ago, AHexInScarletRed said:

Agh. Is there any usage to be gotten out of that? I mean, it's written that it's max 1 of each role, so I thought there's more to it 😛

There could be more to it this time around. Maybe you can field understrength units cheaper now.

If not, 10 wolves is definitely better than 5 wolves for the same price. Even covers more horizontal distance.

Honestly, the cohesion rules were a fairly substantial nerf to direwolves, but now that reinforcement rules are also in play it's more like a mixed blessing. A fast 20 wound min-size unit is quite good now, even if it covers less space as a screen.

• Thanks 1

image.png.42e74298c24c9b8cb708ab7b680cb4dc.png

Credit to @Enoby,

AoS 3 is really looking good for Soulblight. I didn't feel like our points costs were high before, and it looks like they might actually be kinda low relatively to everyone.

Most changes have been buffs for us, as well. Even coherency effects us a lot less than most because all our stuff is on 25mm bases or wants to be min-size anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Most changes have been buffs for us, as well. Even coherency effects us a lot less than most because all our stuff is on 25mm bases or wants to be min-size anyway.

Being on a 25mm base is going to be the secret superpower of AoS 3.0 for most foot models.

The other superpower is being 5 models or less for a hard hitting unit.

Too bad Soulblight don't have a bunch of cheap battleline options on 25mm (zombies, etc.) or a really hard hitting really mobile really effective hammer unit that comes in 5s (Blood Knights) or anything...

Ahem.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Reinholt said:

Being on a 25mm base is going to be the secret superpower of AoS 3.0 for most foot models.

The other superpower is being 5 models or less for a hard hitting unit.

Too bad Soulblight don't have a bunch of cheap battleline options on 25mm (zombies, etc.) or a really hard hitting really mobile really effective hammer unit that comes in 5s (Blood Knights) or anything...

Ahem.

I think literally only Direwolves are in an awkward spot. And not even because they can't all get into combat easily. Their damage was never why you took them in the first place.

Also, a LOT of our guys are mages, heroes and monsters at the same time. That seems like serious added value this edition.

1 hour ago, Macarian said:

This is cool, the VLoZD is looking really strong. Arcane Bolt + Stomp means 2d3 Mortal Wounds before combat has even begun :D

Also my main man Mannfred, ping off wind of death on a unit, then set up an arcane bolt, charge in and do the d3 mortals at the start of combat, the d3 mortals mortals the stomp (is this start of combat too? I can't remember), then just teleport away hahaha

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ghoooouls said:

Also my main man Mannfred, ping off wind of death on a unit, then set up an arcane bolt, charge in and do the d3 mortals at the start of combat, the d3 mortals mortals the stomp (is this start of combat too? I can't remember), then just teleport away hahaha

Stomp happens at the end of the charge phase, so yeah he can definitely Stomp, Bolt and then jump away. Man, that's silly but great :D 

Edited by Macarian
  • Like 1

So @Honk with this Contest of Champions rule set and the super-sly Redeploy Command Ability are you going to try any 60x zombie shenanigans?

Budgeting points and tactical options had me passing them until seeing the Warhammer Community post yesterday.  But now I’m thinking there might be room for useful tactics.  Even as an objective sitter there isn’t anyone shifting sixty wounds in one turn.  A little VDM waiting might actually cause people to not charge that mess.  On the other side of the coin falling back and some 6” pile-in trickery during the opponents turn has my blackened heart beating.

• Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

40 minutes ago, Lou_Cypher said:

Just a funny thought, but Nagash can cast Arcane Bolt up to 8 times. Would he be allowed to stock up on them and proceed to just wail on an enemy every phase + his own stomps? 

According the article he can so if you go first you could cast 8 of them and then run forward and dare the enemy to charge you as they’ll take 9d3 mortal wounds! 8 bolts and a stomp. Oh and you give him +1 save and he’s on a re rolling 2+

5 hours ago, Evil Bob said:

So @Honk with this Contest of Champions rule set and the super-sly Redeploy Command Ability are you going to try any 60x zombie shenanigans?

Budgeting points and tactical options had me passing them until seeing the Warhammer Community post yesterday.  But now I’m thinking there might be room for useful tactics.  Even as an objective sitter there isn’t anyone shifting sixty wounds in one turn.  A little VDM waiting might actually cause people to not charge that mess.  On the other side of the coin falling back and some 6” pile-in trickery during the opponents turn has my blackened heart beating.

Zombies seem like a really good unit to put into a Vanguard battalion for that free once per game run 6". Because it lets them trigger it without a hero nearby, which they usually can't.

• Like 2