What is your biggest problem in the hobby?

carlund

My own problem is resisting the urge to buy new models, I only have so much time to paint and I know this. Still I buy more and more stuff until I eventually have to sell most of it off on eBay. It's almost like an addiction, plastic crack indeed :)

What is your problem? It would be really interesting to hear what ppl in this community struggles with.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My kids, my wife, my dog and my job (in that order of importance) leave little time for the hobby. 

I find myself having to choose between seeing friends, watching a movie, reading a book or doing some painting. I am lucky these days if I get 2 hours a week hobby time.

40 minutes ago, Chikout said:

My kids, my wife, my dog and my job (in that order of importance) leave little time for the hobby. 

I find myself having to choose between seeing friends, watching a movie, reading a book or doing some painting. I am lucky these days if I get 2 hours a week hobby time.

THIS!!!!!

My biggest problem is that I need more time so need to come up with a way of not needing sleep, so I can fit in some hobby goodness

2 minutes ago, Changer said:

Completely agree with all of the above.  Finding time to paint when you've got a 10 month old screaming at you for attention is a joy and a pain in equal measure.

Get a paint brush in that childs hands, hold out models while they randomly flail the paint brush, base colours done.

I'm a problem solver, you're welcome.

On a more serious note, my biggest problem is sometimes motivation. I have lots of toys that need painting, but I will sometimes get home from work and just not paint. I'll tell myself its because I'm tired, or I'll do it tomorrow, but its basically because I'm just lazy. I suppose I prefer the tabletop aspect of the game, but I hate playing with grey plastic. I'm a fool unto myself!

1 minute ago, DeadlySarcasm said:

On a more serious note, my biggest problem is sometimes motivation. I have lots of toys that need painting, but I will sometimes get home from work and just not paint. I'll tell myself its because I'm tired, or I'll do it tomorrow, but its basically because I'm just lazy. I suppose I prefer the tabletop aspect of the game, but I hate playing with grey plastic. I'm a fool unto myself!

Start a log on here in the Painting part of the forum - I'm sure you'll get great C&C that'll spur you on to paint and paint and paint!

58 minutes ago, Changer said:

Completely agree with all of the above.  Finding time to paint when you've got a 10 month old screaming at you for attention is a joy and a pain in equal measure.

I am having my first child in January. I am already trying to figure out how to work out the hobby situation with a newborn. 

Maybe a playpen fence around my painting station? Like that prison fence in the walking dead :)

My biggest problem is that honestly I am not a fan of the painting aspect simply due to the fact of my models not coming out as nice as I want them to. I am inexperienced as a painter and it horrifies me to mess up a model and having to strip it to redo it. I don't have the time or patience to redo what is done. But as said before, playing with unpainted miniatures sucks. 

7 minutes ago, carlund said:

I am having my first child in January. I am already trying to figure out how to work out the hobby situation with a newborn. 

Maybe a playpen fence around my painting station? Like that prison fence in the walking dead :)

Sounds like a plan.  I didn't actually get much painting done for the first few months.  In the end, I started painting out of a GW project box on my lap.  Now that my boy is a bit older I can paint at a table whilst he sings at the TV.

4 minutes ago, Malicth said:

My biggest problem is that honestly I am not a fan of the painting aspect simply due to the fact of my models not coming out as nice as I want them to. I am inexperienced as a painter and it horrifies me to mess up a model and having to strip it to redo it. I don't have the time or patience to redo what is done. But as said before, playing with unpainted miniatures sucks. 

Everyone has to start off somewhere though.  I really enjoy the painting aspect of the hobby, but I'm well known in my hobby group to strip a model down and start again because I wasn't happy with a single part of a paint job.  Practise, and you'll soon notice you get better and better with each model that you do.

32 minutes ago, carlund said:

My son is 7 months old now and the only hobby I have really got done during that time is painting up a High Elf Blood Bowl team. You hear stories of people getting loads of time to do stuff but in my experience it will never happen. :( 

Time is probably my biggest challenge too.  No children or other ties like that, but work means I leave at 6.50am and don't get home for almost 12 hours.  Means that by the time I've eaten my evenings are really only 3 hours long - and that includes having to cram in bits that need doing round the house :|  That said I do get to knock of a little earlier on a Friday which makes a massive difference to the weekend!

I think if times an issue you need to decide which is more important to you, if it's painting then don't game, then you don't have to paint whole units or armies, only single models, if gaming is more important then maybe consider a commission painting service and considering how much is your spare time really worth? Because you are literally buying those hours back to spend with your family. 

For me it's the perseverance, im a little moody for the hobby: change too many project before finish the unfinished, there are period (days week or months) where im fully immersed in it and period where im not ispired at all and do nothing (very much often sadly).

And im sloooow as hell in painting my things, i also paint on commission where im much faster but for my project no way i must take a lot of time and will.

I have hobby ADD.  I just tend to jump from project to project, without necessarily finishing.  I don't see it as too much a problem though, since the painting and reading are the base of the hobby for me.  Time, as for everyone, is an issue.  So I don't get to play a lot.  But I'm mostly ok with that.  Obviously I'd like to play more, but responsibility to my family and job come first.

As for those of you with kids.  One way to get a little more hobby time, while getting quality time with the kido, is to seriously let them paint.  As soon as they can hold a brush, and are a little aware of what they are doing, go buy some cheap-o brushes, and some water soluble paints. (Finger paint works fine.)  Then grab some extra models that aren't a part of your army, can even be a non-GW model, any cheap-o will do.  Give your kid a pallet, brush, and the cheap-o mini, and let them go to town while you paint.  They love it because they get to be a part of what daddy is doing, and you'll love it because you get some time to paint, while not neglecting your child.  Not to mention, if you get them a nice rotation of models, you can wash them off after a while and give it back to them clean, and they probably wont even recognize it as one they already painted.

And, biggest bonus of all, someday they may get into it, and want to paint and play with you for real.

Not enough games. When I lived in my native country I played almost one or two games a week. Ever since I moved to Japan I find it difficult to play that amount of games because my friends here don't play Warhammer. Luckily Magic the Gathering is very big here and I love that game so I am still getting my gaming shot every now and then.

I have a wife but no kids so that leaves time to paint and I do that regularly when I feel like it.

My biggest hobby is training MMA and  I fight matches so I have to train a lot for that. If I have to choose between painting and playing games or going to the gym to train I will choose the gym 9 out of 10 times. 

So not getting enough games in is also a bit my own fault ?

Definitely time, mixed with tiredness. I work in hospitality and I've taken on more responsibility at work over the last few months, which means better pay to buy more toys with (yey!) but it seems like I spend my whole life there now and when I'm not there, I'm too tired to do anything. So although I might get a half day off through the week and only start at 4pm, nine times out of ten I'll end up sleeping until 2 or 3 and still end up doing nothing before work.

Hopefully that'll all change next year; I plan on cutting back my midweek hours drastically. I'm also planning on enrolling in some kind of study from home, but I should hopefully still have a lot more time on my hands to use productively instead of just catching up on sleep, on top of actually getting to see the wife more than one night a week (she works 9-5) :) And if work don't agree to that, then it'll be time for a complete career change :D 

3 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

For me it's cleaning and assembling models.  I love to paint, love to play, love to work out lists ... but hate clipping, scraping, and gluing.

So a question on this.  I don't have the worst clippers, but I usually get a crummy nub or sometimes a cavity when clipping from the sprue, which I then have to file off.  Are my clippers just junk or is this the way of things?

43 minutes ago, daedalus81 said:

So a question on this.  I don't have the worst clippers, but I usually get a crummy nub or sometimes a cavity when clipping from the sprue, which I then have to file off.  Are my clippers just junk or is this the way of things?

I think that's just the way of things, but I've found it happens less with good clippers. Be careful where you are clipping, look at it very closely when you do it to be sure you are cutting and not pulling/bending. 

I don't sleep much, and I make time. I sit here most nights after my wife goes to bed (I'm a night owl) and will YouTube or Podcast and hobby. My problem is E.G.A.D.D. (Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Dis...oooh shiny!). I get so many ideas for projects I tend to wing through quite a few of them at a time.

It's definitely time for painting, and for me also not knowing many other people in to the game (this can be solved by hanging out more at my local store, which also means time shortage...). Also another aspect about Warhammer that's bad for me is that is occupies bits of my brain that should be thinking about work...

Archived