Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

The 7th edition skeletons don't look bad, but the Cursed City skeletons are a noticable step up in quality. They just have a lot finer details and more delicate bones. I think you can definitely get away with using 7th ed and new skeletons for different narrative moods. The old skeletons look really shambly and hunched over, a lot more mindless than the new ones.

I had a similar thought.  Going to just say "these smaller skeletons are just normal humans, and these bigger skeletons were raised from Norscan/Chaos Warrior corpses".  I wouldn't mind having to fit two styles of skeletons on the same board, just means I have to be creative with my painting and modelling I suppose.  Besides... 80 Skeleton Warriors moving up in a tide of spears and bone sounds like exactly why I got into Vampire Counts in the first place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

like a frankenstein's creature?

Fluff - Death vs Tabletop - Death...

in undying king they had tribes with shamans everywhere, in dominion of bones city people and aristocracy (living & undead openly together) in Soulwars a Necromancer summons corpses to engulf him, making him golem like...

but all those ideas need rules and coherency within a battletome. And for every style of undeath to be fully fleshed out (🥳), we would need two books... vampire courts and Necromancer things 

But whatever is missing in the upcoming book, I hope a bit for a castlevania style funky soulblight faction, nice characters with cool fluff and good synergies for broad list building.

going full deathmarch with wights&skellis

going full aristocratic lords and knights

going walkers with zombies and vermin

Please Nagash, make it so... all is one

I flogged off all 120 old skeles, 40 great weapon grave guard and 140 zombies. Simply couldn't let go of my old metal grave guard with sword and board. Oddly they are pretty much same head height as new skelebobs in cursed city. It's just the SIZE of the head thats so off. Gonna keep them tho, cos they are charming and cost a smegging ton. That said, I am really hoping Gdub release some turbo bad ass hench af chad like grave guard.

Screenshot 2021-04-30 at 12.43.06.jpg

Edited by warhammernerd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

1 in 10 may get a rend weapon on the new skellies and kind of bridge the gap between the two. 

There is still these blurry units in the back of this pic that I'm assuming will be a bit more elite. 

image.png.4e47d676beabde8b00774a3d0f3df637.png

that's not a big weapon, just scenery made to look like a giant broken ribcage (perfectly mundain stuff in AoS). 

2 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Warhammer Weekly recently had an interesting statistics-heavy episode about how much skill and faction strength influence tournament win rates in AoS. One take away was that faction strength does matter, but it matters the most for average players, less for top and bottom players. Part of the problem with Petrifex was, in my opinion, that it was just the brain-dead most obvious best choice, and a bit of a noob stomper at that. So average players disproportionally hit a wall when playing against it. I think that's still a legitimate reason to complain, though. After all, most players are average, so we should keep the average player in mind when balancing factions.

OBR performed poorly mostly because of Tzeentch. The teleporting and sheer ranged Mortal Wounds was the paper to OBR's rock.

A lot of "top" players took Tzeentch to tournaments that would otherwise have taken OBR.

It just didn't have it's moment and it most definitely was very, very strong upon release.

2 hours ago, Feii said:

I think the back is a new OBR unit. 

It does look like typical OBR studio colors.  Wouldn't even need to be a new unit, that could just be mortek guard as a background element for the new soulblight stuff to be fighting against.

INTERESTING

Usually the WD articles relating to AoS are watered down, fun takes on things in the respective factions. Perhaps this pic might lead us to believe its as simple as we get two types of Vampire lord? I know we shouldn't read too much from this, but bestial companions and different mounts seems very sexy.

'If you like the idea of creating your own characters then you’re in luck, as Anvil of Blood provides you with guidelines to do just that for a Necromancer, Wight King, and your choice of Martial or Arcane Vampire Lord.'

'You also receive a number of destiny points which you can spend on adding nuanced skills, upgrades, and equipment, and you can even accompany your deathly lord of choice with a bestial companion, or mount them atop a monstrous or esoteric steed.'

9t1kjWlDllBsUIzh.jpeg

Edited by warhammernerd
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

6 minutes ago, warhammernerd said:

INTERESTING

Usually the WD articles relating to AoS are watered down, fun takes on things in the respective factions. Perhaps this pic might lead us to believe its as simple as we get two types of Vampire lord? I know we shouldn't read too much from this, but bestial companions and different mounts seems very sexy.

'If you like the idea of creating your own characters then you’re in luck, as Anvil of Blood provides you with guidelines to do just that for a Necromancer, Wight King, and your choice of Martial or Arcane Vampire Lord.'

'You also receive a number of destiny points which you can spend on adding nuanced skills, upgrades, and equipment, and you can even accompany your deathly lord of choice with a bestial companion, or mount them atop a monstrous or esoteric steed.'

9t1kjWlDllBsUIzh.jpeg

This seems to be an extension of the Anvil of Apotheosis from the GHB 2020, so I wouldn't read that much into it I'm afraid. Unless 3.0 is adding hero customization for matched play and we're the first book to get it? But that sounds too pie in the sky to me

1 minute ago, pixieproxy said:

I can't see much past that blur but I love her already

Yeah leaked potato pic but still. You can see the new Wight King to the lower right. Its almost looks like a mutated vamp-centaur-bat thing. Or its a mount and that vamps legs are impaled through its head and neck to control it?

2 minutes ago, pixieproxy said:

There is a possibility that it's a kitbash using the character creation rules.

That was what I had mentioned in my local AoS discord grp. But I'm unfamiliar with White Dwarf. Another member said WD's battle reports are usually matched play, so if that is the case then this could be a legit model. However I am not going to hold my breath until we get more details.

Could be a kit bash but given that it’s taking centre stage as an army leader in a WD battle report (presumably) close to release, I suspect it’s not, and that it’s a centrepiece model.

So this might be the 6th/7th special character for SBGL. Mannfred, Neferata, Vhordai, Kritza, Annika, Radukar (maybe)... and now Lauka Val. Not too shabby.

Edited by sandlemad