Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

Well, when you get down to it, there aren't really any "good guys" in the Age of Sigmar.  Even the heroes of the setting, the Stormcast, have murdered innocents in the fight against Chaos.  KO are willing to kill over trade rights, Cities are will to kill to gain power and prestige, Idoneth kill for souls, Sylveneth because you're in their territory, etc.

While there are heroic characters in the setting, they are generally heroic because they do what must be done, no matter the cost.

4 hours ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

How quick we've also forgotten our earlier talk of flaws.  I think it would be neat to have a unit that shows the darker side of what Teclis is trying to do.

I am hoping the flaw will be more subtle than Idoneth, possibly something like the old High Elf way of looking at the other races turned up to 11 - narcisistic conceit on a grand scale with allegience abilities to match (not giving any examples - I'm sure you can find your own :) ).

Following the teachings of Teclis, the Lumineth also learned to communicate with, and even channel, the geomantic spirits of Hysh – specifically those of the mountains, rivers, wind and zenith (or sky). This affected every aspect of their existence, from the knowledge they accumulated to the way they fought and the magic they employed. Lumineth warriors who bonded with the spirit of the mountain would be all but immovable in battle, stoically weathering the tide of enemies crashing against them, while their mages would bombard their foes with stones and crush them beneath rocks. This led the Lumineth to develop four distinct sub-cultures within their wider civilisation, each with its own orders of mages and warriors. By dedicating themselves, mind and soul, to the pursuit of furtherance in their chosen path, the Lumineth could better avoid the lure of Slaanesh.

Hysh spirits sounds cool. Also the bit about four distinct sub-cultures!

12 minutes ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

Thank you for linking this!

omg this could be super cool! What if the different elements they can have are our allegiance abilities! You pick one for each unit like a mark of chaos, and it gives you additional abilities! Zenith is gonna be flight, Stone would be a fnp save, water could be a damage boost on the charge (a flowing river of lance and spear as they become closer to the element) I think air was there too, maybe bonuses to movement or run and charge? 

It could also be our faction abilities, maybe each comes with a unique spell, an army wide bonus like above, then a command ability (trait might be replaced by spell like in the Orruk warclans book)

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I'm also interesting in seeing the color schemes for the different factions.  My old High Elves I painted in the colors of each of the different provinces, but was able to unify the whole force through white as a major color on each unit.  I'd be thrilled if I could do something similar with the various subfactions for the Lumineth.  I like having unique color schemes for each unit but keeping an over all cohesion to the army!

• Like 3

This was really nice to continue with the hype train, but I really hoped that they would be releasing an image of a new unit each week (And showing the battletome in Adepticon, to preview that weekend). However, I liked the lore. Perhaps the spirits do not represent sub-factions but more like the "tides" of the Deepkin or the doctrines of the marines? That you can switch them in different battle rounds.

I also don't know if I like or if hate the idea of having sort of shrines and aspect warriors ala Eldar. I guess that if that brings cool models I will end up living it.

Four elemental subfactions but one of them not being Fire makes me sure some of units like Dragons and Phoenixes will be Team Tyrion. 

Also I'm really liking the Tyrion artwork as a potential paint scheme. Thought I liked the Eltharion minis scheme but I'm torn now. 

Devoid of emotion could mean battleshock immunity or bonuses

and if every spirit has magic attached to it we could have 4 magic lores lol. Teclis is a god of magic isn’t he? Maybe he has a rule where he knows all 4 lores.

if the Sphinx gets a generic version I’m hoping for casting bonuses to nearby wizards, it being a caster itself, and a 12 inch fly movement backed by something akin to a giants profile (so equivalent to the smaller monsters) for maybe 280 pts?

maybe too much to ask for. Instead of magic the generic sphinx might pass down wisdom, perhaps adding to the bonuses provided by spirits? The Sphinxs could be more attuned to The magic of hysh so they are closer to the spirits idk. I’m hoping for at the very least a mounted wizard on one as a “mini me” to Teclis haha

I got a lot of eldar Vibes myself, but then again I got the same for the idoneth two years ago so we'll see how they grow. 

I like that more armies are becoming enamored with their version of realmstone. It's not just the skaven,  and armies like the Ossiarch Bone reapers and kharadrons are more focused on realm stuff. I find it cool. Plus, the downside of their realmstone, of making them perfect both physically and mentally is different to the slaanesh excess stuff enough to make me happy. I wonder how stories of them will go in the future, seeing a hero lose enough emotion to become a tyrant in his goals would be fascinating. Would they become little more than   automatons? or would they just even more upstuck aelves? Or would they just become Star Trek Vulcans.

I really want more insight for how they fight and how they are empowered. And, I am surprised their magic is more geologically based rather than light based. I need to know more!

I like the lore so far.  The whole concept of self-improvement and searching for perfection.  I also like how this parallels Slaanesh, really showcasing that Slaanesh is sort of their dark mirror.

On the plus side, the article does seem to confirm that Tyrion is part of the faction.  How much of an appearence he makes, we'll still have to wait and see.  If he were to actually get a model at this point, and I was GW in charge of how to dispense info on the Lumineth, he would be the very last thing I would showcase.  So here's to hoping that prediction/bit of wishlisting comes true!

Edited by Koradrel of Chrace

Just going to say in light of the article I think the Idoneth are going to be interested in the souls of the Lumineth. The quality of the soul largely determines the life-span of a namtiri, how long would they live for if they have souls that are apprently perfect?

I sense possible conflict.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, shinros said:

Just going to say in light of the article I think the Idoneth are going to be interested in the souls of the Lumineth. The quality of the soul largely determines the life-span of a namtiri, how long would they live for if they have souls that are apprently perfect?

I sense possible conflict.

Even without the soul-stealing aspect, the Idoneth and Lumineth are set up for conflict based around the whole "sky daddy doesn't love me" vs "perfect golden child" themes.

• Like 2