Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

Regarding the complaints about NPE: I have the (maybe naive) opinion that this phase of outrage will settle down and people will make up their minds. (Or find the next Army to complain about if one wants to be cynical.) Most of us can't  play anyway due to the Pandemic and it will be a long time until any sort of pick up games can take place again in most parts of the world.

It saddens me too how there are so many misunderstandings and disagreements about the Lumineth. :( To the people who get worked up about arguments with folks who want to dislike Lumineth for the sake of it: Your time is more valuable than arguing via the Internet. (sorry if this sounds patronizing) however, I feel especially during a Pandemic - the human mind does not need more feelings of frustration and the notion of a never ending task of arguments.

Much love ❤️

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, woolf said:

It reminds me a lot to when OBR dropped, iirc there was a thread called something like "OBR hideously overpowered" that was basically a wall of complaint against petrifex, a bit similar to the current "Lumineth victims thread" that is up now. I'm sure it will blow over, and if there is something in particular (as was with Petrifex) it might get nerfed.

Go back far enough and you’ll find threads like that for most of 2.0 books- I particularly remember one about gloomspite (or specifically the bad moon allegiance ability) and how it was going to ruin everything.
Although the Lumineth one is pretty toxic even by the standards of that kind of thread, and I kinda wish I hadn’t looked at it. 

Well, I had my reservations, but I finally decided to chime my two cents in the infamous thread in the general forum. I am with @Athrawes with regards to the damage done by talk about refusing to play LRL. I hope, however, that you guys are right in that these strong reactions are just a spur of the moment. We human beings could definitely use a little less negativity around us.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Khaedhras said:

Well, I had my reservations, but I finally decided to chime my two cents in the infamous thread in the general forum. I am with @Athrawes with regards to the damage done by talk about refusing to play LRL. I hope, however, that you guys are right in that these strong reactions are just a spur of the moment. We human beings could definitely use a little less negativity around us.

On a more positive note, most people who play AOS (at least in my area) are quite chill, and just want to play a friendly game and have a few laughs now and then. The very online folks who get worked up over this sort of stuff generally make up a small proportion of the overall community, and unsurprisingly don't actually get involved in their local scene (because other players and store owners don't want to deal with their bad attitudes).

It's just a hobby. We're grown adults playing with toy soldiers, and first and foremost we should be having fun with our hobby. If there are folks out there trying to make your hobby unpleasant or stressful, it's best to just avoid them.

• Like 3

That's also what I was trying to say with the time argument. I am just happy if I can play a game. Maybe I should start a poll some time in the future about how long ago it was for a player since the last real AoS match. I haven't played a game since March 2020 (only one 600ish points mock up game with a close friend).

@l1censetochill yeah the people in my area are also very relaxed and we don't take the game seriously at all. 😄 (I guess this is why it hurts all the more to read the edgy stuff online)

I definetly will put up a poll about your favorite Lumineth Great Nation when all the new stuff releases tomorrow! ;) So pumped for the Tyrionic Nations!!

5 minutes ago, Siegfried VII said:

In this points value I may be tempted to get more than two boxes of these guys.. 🙂

Could be, it could also be a typo in the Italian army book. Typos on points in different language books do happen semi-frequently with GW. 

16 minutes ago, Athrawes said:

Could be, it could also be a typo in the Italian army book. Typos on points in different language books do happen semi-frequently with GW. 

I know, I won't get any extra boxes before it is confirmed and I have made my initial list building... 

Thanks for the heads up regardless! 🙂 

just read through everything. The kangaroos seem very good but it odd that their rules combine to make them better in melee than shooting (not that I am complaining, if they were just mobile archers the spirit of the wind/sevireth would outclass them probably)

The calligrave will be nice if blade of leaping gold is still in with D3 damage on his blade

Severith is wild, but the exact wording of his abilities tones him down very slightly.  Generic version feels pointless by comparison, even being cheaper.

Bladelords with no MWs and 120 points are actually worse than I was expecting. I think I'm going to get two boxes purely for style points and edge case battleline requirements. As soon as the Sunday preview called them bodyguards, I knew it was going to be Saurus Guard all over again. (Saurus Guard are good...for absorbing Slaan damage. Completely useless for anything else relative to their points and other units) Dual Blade option seems to be worse than the standard weapon, which is what I expect from my Lumineth champions.

Ballista is...why were people crying about this again? It's 2-3 attacks for d3 damage with decent rend, and 5 wounds. It's a completely normal artillery piece.

Regent will live or die by how good his command traits/artifacts are. His spell is mostly superfluous and he doesn't have any CA or anything you'd except from a "leader" type.  Combat profile is decent, but not good enough to be a big deal.

Named Version is a straight downgrade, which is a shame because the model is beautiful. +60ish points and no traits/artifacts for a single spear attack and a situational CP generator. Which again, doesn't matter much because LRL doesn't have command abilities, including this guy...

Bannerblade feels completely superfluous. There's no real reason to take him at all, even though he's a cool model.

Calligrave is...weird. I kinda like him, but he's 40 points cheaper than the Cathallar for a reason.

Loreseeker is fantastic, the crying about him is going to be endless

Twins are kind neat, rules are really weird, could be decent. Fun to use if nothing else.

Windmage is OK, boosting the speed of Windchargers seems pointless when they're already so fast, though

Windchargers are going to be fun. Not super effective or anything, but fun.

1 minute ago, Ragest said:

Having read all warscrolls I make an update

S tier

Loreseeker

Blademasters

Scenery

A tier

Sevireth

Windrunners

Ballista

Windmage

B tier

Calligrave

Regent

C tier

Lyrior

Twins

Generic fox

Bannerblade

S Tier for Blademasters, really? You did notice they don't get the sunmetal weapons rule, right?

Just now, herohammer said:

I think wind runners are only an A if you run them in the subfaction for extra attacks in melee. They are only 12in range -1 rend shooting. In melee they get -2 rend

Yeah the damage output on the Wind Runners is pretty low, 130 points, two shots per model. And in melee they're mostly going to be moving away as far as possible, because they will die instantly otherwise, so at best you're at 1 attack/model there, or zero, depending on how far away they get.

9 minutes ago, madmac said:

S Tier for Blademasters, really? You did notice they don't get the sunmetal weapons rule, right?

The are made for one reason, give 10 aditional wounds to Cathallar and they do that qith perfection.

Almost an autotake