Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

15 hours ago, Siegfried VII said:

I love the Warden models too, but I hate their spears with a passion.. It is extremely annoying for me especially when I try to pile in and it is stressful for my opponents as they try to dance their models around mine trying not to break the spears.. I would prefer shorter spears even if it would make them look a bit less cool..😅

Regarding Dawnriders I have tried running a unit of 10 on most of my battles.. When there is 1 wound infantry in the enemy army they are the fast hammer we all want, but if not they tend to become dead weight.. Still I use them all the time as they are by far my most favourite models of the range as far as units go.. 🙂 

Yeah I was more thinking of them as a mobile shining company anvil, rather than an hammer. 10 would take defensive buffs quite well, and Mv14/28 makes them quite dangerous if they retreat from combat and deathly furrows doesn't require charging so the opponent can't just chaff them up with things like horrors. But I see how that is counter intuitive and a bit gamey, and I don't know if I have the wherewithal to paint a suffecient number of Dawnriders...😅

16 hours ago, NemesisScar said:

Can you run Lumineth without any of the big spirits? Thus far, nothing shown in that department has me interested. I am plenty interested in the aelf portion of the army. 

Here's the color scheme I'm planning on:

You can, but the Spirits bring a lot of utility that you can't get elsewhere. The Spirit of the Mountain is actually one of the best monster units in the game in terms of combat potential and its ability to make the units around it much better. For example pumping out -1 to hit in combat in an AoE so you don't have to be in Shining Company. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies, all! I've played 40k before, but that's sorta dropped off, so my mind is wandering.

1 hour ago, whispersofblood said:

You can, but the Spirits bring a lot of utility that you can't get elsewhere. The Spirit of the Mountain is actually one of the best monster units in the game in terms of combat potential and its ability to make the units around it much better. For example pumping out -1 to hit in combat in an AoE so you don't have to be in Shining Company. 

I guess I don't find Shining Company as onerous. My thinking is that my opponent may be faster, but I will survive the melee. That said, I am waiting for the 2nd Battletome to add those Bladelords to my army. 

• Like 1

Hey guys, I have a weird question:

One guy in the wargaming buy/sell FB group I frequent offers a small bunch of AoS books: GHB 2020 + point costs booklet, the AoS core rules booklet... and the limited version of the first Lumineth battletome. And the price he wants for *all* of these books (he sells them as a set) is... 100 PLN = 20 GBP.

It's...cheap for books that are supposedly in good condition. So, there are two options: either it's a fishy offer or... the guy just doesn't know how to price these things.

I mean, GBH 2020 alone costs about 20 GBP at GW's official stores. Battletomes cost at least the same - and the limited versions are even more expensive. I'd like to try this guy's offer, because I wanted to get the new GBH anyway and I'm curious about the Lumineth (and the price offered makes the battletome basically a free bonus to GBH). But I'm not sure if that's okay? Should I point out to this guy that he could be charging twice the price for these things..?

Or, maybe, with the new Lumineth battletome coming sometime this year, the old version isn't so valuable anymore..?

What do you think?

1 hour ago, PiotrW said:

What do you think?

Seems a fair price. We’re only 3-4 months away from GHB 2021, at which point the 2020 GHB will not be worth as much.

And the ltd Lumineth tome is not that valuable really. I’ve seen quite a few on eBay over the last few weeks for £10-15 (including tokens). I think the news that a new tome is coming has had an impact on its value. That coupled with the saturation of the book being included in the army box. I’m guessing a number of people bought 2 boxes and sold off their spare one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, whispersofblood said:

Yeah I was more thinking of them as a mobile shining company anvil, rather than an hammer. 10 would take defensive buffs quite well, and Mv14/28 makes them quite dangerous if they retreat from combat and deathly furrows doesn't require charging so the opponent can't just chaff them up with things like horrors. But I see how that is counter intuitive and a bit gamey, and I don't know if I have the wherewithal to paint a suffecient number of Dawnriders...😅

In some battles I used my unit of 10, cast on them speed of hysh, ethereal blessing and pehaps mystic shield and sent them to sweep the chaff of my opponent and block his army for the first battle round. In some instances it can be quite a power move and buy you precious time to get in position to score vps etc, but still you're feeding the enemy 260pts.  In some cases it works, in some other not so much and you still have to have a low drop army to properly utilize this strategy..

6 hours ago, OkayestDM said:

I assume that's the unit leader. Lumineth seem to like giving the boss a unique weapon load out.

I think you are right, the dual wielded also has a slightly more elaborate helmet, which is also something they do with the champions. Probably the different swords are connected to the champion’s special ability like the flask and the hawk. 

3CFC1527-06A0-4FFD-BE45-68E8C042162A.jpeg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

Man, I’m getting real restless for more info on these new units! I understand they got priorities and covid to deal with but... I wants tah knowz!

Just to give you unnecessary hope, the Cursed City article yesterday said that we’ll hear more about Cursed City as we are closer to the release date, which can ONLY mean from now on we get new information about the Lumineth every day (eye twitch).

• Haha 8

15 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Those Bladelords look kinda plain in comparison to the other foot units

I think they're great models but I think they would much better if they had greaves on their feet.. I would prefer them a bit more heavy armoured. That being said they are Vanari, they are not as special as other units who come from the elemental temples, so it kinda makes sense for them not to be super elite looking imo..

2 hours ago, Siegfried VII said:

I think they're great models but I think they would much better if they had greaves on their feet.. I would prefer them a bit more heavy armoured. That being said they are Vanari, they are not as special as other units who come from the elemental temples, so it kinda makes sense for them not to be super elite looking imo..

Yeah they need more armor. Being Vanari or not doesnt seem to matter for the models. Hats aside the stoneguard look very similar to both the sentinels and wardens. Robes, someshoulder armor, helmets. Small detail differences here and there but all 3 are roughly the same look. The bladelords, while cool, feel off...I really think its the lack of lower robes. 

But maybe they are super elite and need full freedom of movement to be nimble or something.

5 hours ago, Wickie De Viking said:

I wonder how big the bases of the Bladelords are. If they are on 32mm bases, they are tiny!

I feel that the Wardens and Sentinels are pretty well sized.... (except for those spears!!!)... and are they not on 32mm?   And their awesome two handed swords do look like they stick out (again, not as much as spears but...) so maybe they will be "appropriately" sized.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 12:20 AM, ArchaicArc said:

Hey all, I have been mostly absent from this forum for a while, and thought I’d post some photos if my Dark/Shyish themed Lumineth army that I painted up in the past month. Let me know what you guys think, I’d love any critiques!

E6A64388-2E04-4AB5-B382-6C61BDD0B517.jpeg

6CE834A5-E4B6-4B74-A3D5-BDE55BBB9F91.jpeg

C3DCBDB6-40B6-4429-9429-D605FD5824F1.jpeg

5431685F-DDF3-4B9B-92F6-B6543E422FFE.jpeg

4368B9EF-E24E-4555-88C6-7C45B433C977.jpeg

49A4E595-6D09-41EB-8FDF-CAD06CE44F47.png

I've lurked this forum for years, but must break my self-imposed lurking to ask: WHAT is that gold formula? It is beautiful. I love the scheme you have here. I feel like you incorporated a lot of themes relating to pale blue starlight in the snow, it's wonderful. You single-handedly got me interested in this model range.

Edited by ssetr
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Yeah they need more armor. Being Vanari or not doesnt seem to matter for the models. Hats aside the stoneguard look very similar to both the sentinels and wardens. Robes, someshoulder armor, helmets. Small detail differences here and there but all 3 are roughly the same look. The bladelords, while cool, feel off...I really think its the lack of lower robes. 

But maybe they are super elite and need full freedom of movement to be nimble or something.

I think they’ll not feel that out of line in the full range. A lot of the second wave of models have the same “pants + knee pads” style that the Bladelords have. 

If you only compare them to the current ones, then yes, they are a bit off. I personally probably prefer robes, but it’s also good that the units have some variety. 

I have the Direchasm Bladelord, she doesn’t look small, the back banner and great sword with runes convey that they are supposed to be an elite. 

On 3/11/2021 at 2:33 PM, ssetr said:

I've lurked this forum for years, but must break my self-imposed lurking to ask: WHAT is that gold formula? It is beautiful. I love the scheme you have here. I feel like you incorporated a lot of themes relating to pale blue starlight in the snow, it's wonderful. You single-handedly got me interested in this model range.

Looks like S75 necro gold to viking gold would be close. Perhaps a bit of silver.

9 minutes ago, Howdyhedberg said:

So... Gw posted some more painting guides on YouTube for Lumineth. Is there a chance that next week we will be able to pre order the new stuff?

Not super likely because they announced that Dark Eldar and the DE + Sisters box can be pre-ordered on the 20th. But maybe the preorder announcement on the 20th? If they go back to weekly releases. Otherwise maybe on the 27th. I hope at least he announcement will be still within March. 

It’s really hard to say right now, their Instagram channel behaves as if BR Teclis already has dropped, and we get painting guides, but otherwise zero info since two weeks now. And they have done a lot of marketing for Cursed City. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1