Other AoS/40k forums

mikethefish

I suppose that this community spoils me a bit, but it seems like just about every other AoS or 40k forum out there is a toxic cesspit of ignorance and negativity.

Are there other GW gaming forums out there as healthy as this one?  Or is this sort of a lone bastion of manners and positivity, lol?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Hive is pretty nice and a Tyranid focused 40K forum that's not overly negative in tone. 

Dakkadakka I tend to lurk in more so because it hits almost everything for wargaming and general geeky games ,but it can be somewhat overly negative at times. However after a bit you start to recognise a minority who tend to "peddle" the negativity. There's also a handful of pedants who tend to create arguments/problems by being insanely pedantic. In general you can overlook it and I find it useful because it covers all wargames in general which makes it a useful resource

48 minutes ago, Boytoy said:

Bolter and Chainsword is pretty healthy. mods are usually quick to react when things go overboard, and 95% of the board members are there to contribute critically and not get bogged down in negativity

That's right - forgot about those guys.

Honestly, anything instead of Dakka is something that I'll try, lol

I find some of the old fantasy forums to be pretty friendly, even if they are nowhere near as comprehensive as this one. They are very "balkanised". There is no one forum for WFB that I'm aware of, but rather there was originally one for each fantasy army. Some of them collapsed when Age of Sigmar came out, but a few like Lustria Online, Warhammer Empire, and particularly Chaos Dwarves Online are still going strong. Some of them have more Age of Sigmar discussion than others, but again its still quite faction focused. They are great for talking about old models and hobby stuff though.

It depends on what your definition of non-toxic is.

If you're looking for somewhere that's trying to be nothing but sunshine, rainbows and praise for GW then I'd recommend Facebook groups - shocking I know - which generally tend to be much more 'safe spaces' where positivity is all but enforced.  Depends on the group obviously.

For a more rounded discussion, where people back-and-forth a lot on positives and negatives without breaking into outright vitriol (as much) then Bolter & Chainsword's pretty good. It has it's fanboys and hardcore haters, but they're in the very slim minority on both fronts. Mods are usually pretty good at locking threads when a cooldown is needed, without getting draconian. 

I never found Dakka to be that bad, though it's certainly not the most friendly place, but it might be because I'm one of the more cynical people around here.

If you can tolerate unfunny meme spam and don't mind the instant messenger format then Discords tend to be quite bustling these days and rather friendly. Some of the smaller, faction-specific ones are rarely anything but nice enough as well as getting a good deal more focus on the hobby side than you often see (as much) on forums, however most of those are for 40k.

The Hive is pretty nice and a Tyranid focused 40K forum that's not overly negative in tone.

The Hive's pretty friendly, but I don't know if I'd call it positive, especially in the wake of the new Space Marine codex.

Edited by Clan's Cynic

Slightly tangential - but the 30K community is extremely welcoming. It’s a much smaller forum but pretty tight knit. Google Heresy30k if you are curious!

Even more of a tangent - some people think of 30k as boring from the outset because they imagine it to be a battle of mary sues against other mary sues. I was one of those people. However, if you dip your toes into the fluff and campaign books you quickly discover that it is extremely rich and diverse. The conflict is much deeper than a Good/Evil or even Chaos/Order dichotomy - there are so many shades, and I actually find that some of the so called “traitor” legions are the most relateable (and tragic.) The moral dilemmas are also fascinating - eg the choice between loyalty to your brothers and dedication to an abstract ideal - which is something many of the traitor legions chose the former for.

I dont like Dakka simply because dakka doesn't have a very active group and the people that post on AOS are all questionable in terms of what I think they know about. 

I use facebook groups or private chat groups a lot, and I do reddit a lot.  

There's negativity in pretty much every group I read, I just ignore that and focus on the posts that I care about.

• Like 1

Warseer was the original wretched hive of scum and villany of WFB's hatred for AoS.

To be fair, AoS was a drastic change from WFB and deserved a lot of the flack it got. At least until the original GHB came out. Site literally crashed about three-six months after AoS released IIRC, which was a shame because it hands down had the best Modeling and Project Log sections on the internet. It's back now, but I haven't checked it out in a long time.

Edited by Fairbanks