AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

25 minutes ago, CeleFAZE said:

Are lances a decent choice for this? It seems like exploding hits and rerolls on basically everything when buffed would lend itself to a pretty devastating charge.

It depends on your other sources of -2 rend, as StoD struggle with that. If you don't have much then lances are good, but I think swords tend to get taken more often.

Well Round 2 of the campaign didnt go to plan. Lost to the Squigs 25-30. Close game with a couple of key moments.

He gave me first turn so I took the centre with the Daemon Prince. I Belakor'd the Loon Boss on Mangler however he played it really smart. Rather than coming at me with the 2 manglers he flooded the board with hoppers and bounders, screening the manglers meaning it made sense for me to give him the double turn into Round 2. He hopped over the DP and finished him off with the Bounders. In the end it wasnt a bad trade off for suffering the double turn but also super frustrating as I whiffed all my attacks,  failed 10/12 of my 5+ FNP, on top of failing plenty of 3+ saves despite using my reroll saves triumph... sigh...

I cleared most of the chaff and then won priority into Round 3. My plan of holding back the knights with glaives was now in place however the most crucial of moments let me down; Belakor cast an arcane bolt against the non-hero mangler on an 11 but then I rolled a 1 for the D3 damage. The knights charged in but could only do 10 damage, leaving the mangler on 1 wound and his top damage bracket. So instead of killing the mangler, taking the objective for 2 extra VP and having a full strength unit of knights in his backfield, the Mangler killed half the knights and held the objective. Then finished off the knights in his turn and was able to go on causing havoc until I brought it down. Had I rolled 3+ for the arcane bolt damage it would have been a different game. 

Oh well, onto the next round; 1500 points against Stormcast in Places of Arcane Power. 

Thinking a Slaanesh marked Ruinbringers list for lots of mortal wounds. Fingers crossed!

On 12/7/2020 at 12:56 AM, Rors said:

Anyone had much experience with mindstealers?
I'm painting up one and considering a second to go in an msu despoilers list.

A bubble of -2 bravery and strike last seems potentially power combined with the right threats.

I love the mindstealer, especially in despoilers.

Lot's of command points for Chaos Lords to let units attack twice.

Perfect for 2 units of lance knights

In general i figured that Despoilers work better without Demon Princes for some odd reasons.

Turning terrain only helps if the opponent has nothing else but shooting so it's very situational

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kurrilino said:

In general i figured that Despoilers work better without Demon Princes for some odd reasons.

I actually have a khorne  prince in my list and karkadrak with helm of many eyes so that I can play activation wars, both get strike first. Haven't got a game in yet but with msu despoilers running a ruinbringers betallion, my hope is to do a bunch of damage in the charge phase then have most of the army strike first. The damage output isn't that great but getting it all in first should help, so my thinking goes.

11 hours ago, Kurrilino said:

general i figured that Despoilers work better without Demon Princes for some odd reasons.

Turning terrain only helps if the opponent has nothing else but shooting so it's very situational

Don’t they also add things like strike first etc to your army? 
what heroes do you use then? 

In general most of the warcry units are considered weak. Notable exceptions being the iron gollems and untamed beasts. Golems make great cheap objective campers and a min unit is fine. Beasts have a pre game move so you can push on objectives early or set them up to screen your forces.

I think with the artifact that gives d3 units a pregame move a big block of beasts could have some competitive play. Combo one big horde that's guanteed an 11 inch pregame move (+run and charge) with a teleporting horde of Marauders and you have a foundation for an alphastrike list.

Or in idolators you could swarm your opponent with battleschock immune beasts who run then get the Marauder charge. Only problem is you units don't do anything on arrival. Idolators really need faq on their rules though as they're barley functional let alone good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So I've been playing against StoD, which is using One Eyed Grunnock as a merc, and I think he might be a decent choice from my experience so far.

He brings a lot of rend to an army that otherwise relies on knights charging, which makes him so much more reliable, and his earthquake for -1 to hit makes him pair really well with a block of 40 Marauders running beside him. It's an effective double whammy, as he's drawing heat and dealing damage, for the otherwise squishy marauders. His presence gives the rest of the army room to breathe, and having a fighty hero in the thick of it is proving to be very useful, since StoD, outside of Archaon, don't really have someone who can just get stuck in.

If you've got him, I'd suggest giving him a go. The -1 CP hasn't come up as an issue either.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Kramer said:

Don’t they also add things like strike first etc to your army? 
what heroes do you use then? 

Demon Princes don't add strike first, they have the ability on their own.

Problem is that you don't want them in combat because of their support abilities and they don't have "Eye of the Gods"

I run Chaos Lord, Lord on Demonic Mount and Lord of Blights to babysit the 25 blob of Nurgle Chaos Warriors.

On 11/28/2020 at 7:15 PM, broverpowerd said:

Played a 3 game tournament with Knights of the Empty Throne Plaguetouched and ended 2-1 losing to Teclic Lumineth in the final round 25-26.

My list was: 

6x Varanguard grasping plate/magic armor

3x Varanguard nullstone

Sorcerer Lord mask of darkness 

Chaos Lord

15x Warriors sword/board

5x Knights ensorcelled

5x Knights ensorcelled

Warhshrine

Plaguetouched battalion 

Did you  use daemonblades on the Varanguard? Any experience with the felspears for the extra rend?

On 12/10/2020 at 11:18 PM, Dankboss said:

So I've been playing against StoD, which is using One Eyed Grunnock as a merc, and I think he might be a decent choice from my experience so far.

He brings a lot of rend to an army that otherwise relies on knights charging, which makes him so much more reliable, and his earthquake for -1 to hit makes him pair really well with a block of 40 Marauders running beside him. It's an effective double whammy, as he's drawing heat and dealing damage, for the otherwise squishy marauders. His presence gives the rest of the army room to breathe, and having a fighty hero in the thick of it is proving to be very useful, since StoD, outside of Archaon, don't really have someone who can just get stuck in.

If you've got him, I'd suggest giving him a go. The -1 CP hasn't come up as an issue either.

This is really interesting and some great insight!

Any info on what the rest of the list looked like, the damned legion used, marks & units etc?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charlo said:

This is really interesting and some great insight!

Any info on what the rest of the list looked like, the damned legion used, marks & units etc?

He changes his list a lot, but it usually has Ruinbringer Warband and as Ravagers for the extra bodies.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 12:15 AM, broverpowerd said:

Played a 3 game tournament with Knights of the Empty Throne Plaguetouched and ended 2-1 losing to Teclic Lumineth in the final round 25-26.

My list was: 

6x Varanguard grasping plate/magic armor

3x Varanguard nullstone

Sorcerer Lord mask of darkness 

Chaos Lord

15x Warriors sword/board

5x Knights ensorcelled

5x Knights ensorcelled

Warhshrine

Plaguetouched battalion 

I'm thinking of running something quite similar. Dropping the 6 Varanguard unit to 3 and getting Be'Lakor with Whispers of Chaos and a Balewind so that I've got a pretty decent magic phase with 3 spells that my opponent will want to stop plus a cheeky Enfeeble Foe. Plus Dark Master for disruption and a reasonably fast piece that can go off by itself without fear of mucking up my synergies. Will probably get sniped by any decent shooting, but the less shots taken at the Chaos Lord/Sorc the better. 

21 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

As far as I can tell, Archaon can be chosen as a Ravagers General as he would qualify as a Ravagers Hero, and therefore could use the Rally the Tribes ability. Belakor could not as Daemon Princes cannot be chosen as a Ravagers General. 

Good call on Belakor, completely forgot about the daemon prince part.  But for Archaon, the allegiance ability says: " If your general is not a DAEMON PRINCE, you can pick1 command trait for up to 5 different friendly RAVAGERS HEROES (excluding DAEMON PRINCES) in addition to the command trait your general can have...At the start of your hero phase, you can pick 1 friendly R RAVAGERSHERO (excluding DAEMON PRINCES) that is on the battlefield and has a command trait to stake their claim as warlord."

I had assumed that since Archaon is a named character he can't take a trait and therefore couldn't use the summoning ability. Would be great to be wrong though. 😁

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Heaven_lord said:

Hi ! Would you have some strong lists for 1000 pts solo and doubles ?

PS : I love the lord on manticore, is he a strong unit ?

Thanks !

The Lord on Manticore is not bad, althrough his CA is a waste of potential. Currently some Khorne Players use him with their Alligience, as you can buff him into a sick blender with the Goretide-Hew-the-Foe-Generals-Trait (+1 Damage on all of his profiles). Adding a Gorecleaver Artifact (which requires to be a little more into Khorne as you need a battalion to unlock the second artifact beside the mandatory goretide one) gives him the chance on doubling the damage on one of his weapons when wounding on 6's. Then Khorne has some other buffs to make him even more dangerous!

Despite this, the Lord on Manticore is still a good blender with many weapon profiles. His mount is adding a lot of fun, too since the buff in the battletome. He is a Mortal and a Monster, which has some upsides looking at StD Buffs. He is great in a Despoilers List, where he profits from the Regeneration of the Alligience. Also the Crown of Many Eyes is a great Artifact to make him more dangerous, letting him Fight first after the charge.

His downsides are all rather small critique points: He only has a 4+ save and no inherited 5++ against mortals (which can be still obtained by the shield option) and also he has a quite useless command ability, which still may come handy at ocasions. If you want a strong mortal lord he competes for the slot with the new one on Karkadrak, which is also a good blender and who offers synnergy with Knights. Also since the new book I prefer the Sorcerer option: It is always wise to have at least one dispell around. Especially as the Manticore itself is blendy enough and the utility from the oracular visions is great!

The meanest list I can imagine outright outright would look somewhat like this:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness
- Damned Legion: Despoilers

Leaders
Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)
- General
- Axe
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne
Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)
- Axe
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle
Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (260)
- Artefact: Helm of Many Eyes
- Spell: Binding Damnation or Whispers of Chaos

Battleline
5 x Chaos Marauder Horsemen (110)
- Axes & Shield
5 x Chaos Marauder Horsemen (110)
- Axes & Shield

Units
1 x Mindstealer Sphiranx (100)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 58

Hitting with your 3-4 fast Monsters allows you to blend his army piece by piece. You will have so much manipulation of combat order that noone really can hold you up. The Sorcerer Lord on Manticore provides you some magic to blend hordes. He also increases your durability with his Oracular Visions. Downside: This list is terrible at the objective game, providing only 2 squishy althrough fast units to focus on objectives. You could sacrifice the cat to upgrade the marauders into chaos knights. Or you downsize them into Chaos Warriors and use the additional 20 pts to use the Lord on Manticore instead of the Sorcerer Option. As for Marks of Chaos: Decide on what matches your playstyle. I like Khorne on Despoilers as the CA on the Prince is really nasty and the Generals Aura is a great buff for the whole Army. On the Sorcerer I run Slaanesh or Nurgle.

It is 32 mm on the faq, but the miniature in the updated AoS packaging comes with a 40mm base.

I would say 40mm is the correct one, as the bases faq has been wrong before (It did have the harbinger of Decay on 60mm round base while he comes with an oval and they updated it later, after community feedback) , and still lists the miniature with the old warhammer name Lord of Chaos, instead of Chaos Lord.

Generally, i would suggest referring to the Base Sizes FAQ for miniatures that are packaged  with only old rectangular bases, and use the bases the miniatures are supplied with when it comes to those packaged with round or oval bases.

• Like 1