AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

1 hour ago, Jonko said:

I'm wondering how people who bought the new start collecting boxes deal with the equipment of the new chaos warrios and knights. I'm a little disappointed that the new units dont have any horn blowers and standard bearers that are like basic on 1 in every 5 units in the game. I've been thinking how to solve this, i don't know if the old bits from the old set will look nice and even fit the new models.

Any thought's ? 

Get some tzaangor command bits on ebay - dead cheap and the banner and horn from that kit look great. I've also made some chinese-style banner for my Pinks (the banner from the kit sucks IMO) by using one of the unused LOC staff end pieces.

Hey all, I was considering making an Everchosen list using nothing but Archaon and Varanguard. It seems potentially viable, since they can get insane quality of attacks due to aura buffs and the +1dmg Circle. Is it worth spending the points on their Battalion? I can also have a Khorne Lord on Jugg with the remaining points. Or is it worth just having a 4th unit of Varanguard? 

Cheers :)

32 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

Hey all, I was considering making an Everchosen list using nothing but Archaon and Varanguard. It seems potentially viable, since they can get insane quality of attacks due to aura buffs and the +1dmg Circle. Is it worth spending the points on their Battalion? I can also have a Khorne Lord on Jugg with the remaining points. Or is it worth just having a 4th unit of Varanguard? 

Cheers :)

So was just going to post my weekend of testing builds against my friends armies. I played BoC and two of his tournament lists for Sylvaneth on multiple battleplans.

Now while these armies are not super top tier he's a very good player and we ran full match play rules to see what is what in the new STD tome.

I ran the Everchosen Batallion and 9 Varanguard with a Sorcerer on foot and it felt like a massive trap. I struggled in multiple areas to compete with multiple threat Durthu bomb Sylvaneth lineup or keep Archaon from being swamped or screened out. 

We found through a days of games on multiple scenarios that if you want to run Varanguard the sweet spot is 6 (in two blobs) and that Khorne/Slaanesh 2 ensorcelled weapons and 1 fell spear felt optimal. 

Archaon was great throughout when I didn't suicide him in. 

MVPs were 40 blobs of Mauraders (obviously) with or without double attacking and 'My Will' on them.

Realmscourge ES was excellent if you can afford it and Darkfire is a good substitute.

I preferred personally Sorc L on Manticore over on foot but that needs more testing. 

Sleeper - Now this might be my preferred playstyle but I thought Cabalist legion had some real finesse to it and if you could maximise your wizards and maybe a gaunt summ and a range of ES you could really do some shenanigans with it. I need to play around a list with it.

Anyways anecdotal evidence aside I will probably run this as core in upcoming big tournaments -

Spoiler

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness
- Damned Legion: Host of the Everchosen (Sixth Circle)
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Archaon the Everchosen (800)
- General
- Aura of Chaos: Khorne
- Spell: Binding Damnation

Battleline
3 x Varanguard (300)
- 2x Ensorcelled Weapons
- 1x Fellspears
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne
3 x Varanguard (300)
- 2x Ensorcelled Weapons
- 1x Fellspears
40 x Chaos Marauders (300)
- Axes & Shields

Total: 1700 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 90

Then likely add a Sorc/Chaos Lord on Manticore and a ES, Warshrine or DP (need more testing Vs more armies)

5 hours ago, Jonko said:

I'm wondering how people who bought the new start collecting boxes deal with the equipment of the new chaos warrios and knights. I'm a little disappointed that the new units dont have any horn blowers and standard bearers that are like basic on 1 in every 5 units in the game. I've been thinking how to solve this, i don't know if the old bits from the old set will look nice and even fit the new models.

Any thought's ? 

I was bought it rather tha purchased it myself, but the whole push-to-fit knights/chaos warriors with the equipment they have and lack of command was real dissapointing.

I painted one chaos warrior up, but im not sure whether that was correct as I prefer the idea of bringing them in large units where halberds would be better which has hurt my motivation to continue with the warriors, i would rather wait for the campaign book to come out with hopefully a new chaos warriors box that i can use the parts for in hacking off the weapons of the Start Collecting! models.

As someone who likes the idea of the army, its an annoying position as if i want to expand them now and be playable then it would be better to stick to the older chaos warriors using the old halberd conversion of using the old chaos knight lances. BUT there is no guarantee we even we even get a new multi-part warrior box, and its that not knowing which is really killing my motivation to move forward with the army. I dont mind the old marauders, but to me the fundamentals of the army even in fantasy as WoC was units of chaos warriors.

Edited by Hamartia

5 hours ago, Blisterfeet said:

So was just going to post my weekend of testing builds against my friends armies. I played BoC and two of his tournament lists for Sylvaneth on multiple battleplans.

Now while these armies are not super top tier he's a very good player and we ran full match play rules to see what is what in the new STD tome.

I ran the Everchosen Batallion and 9 Varanguard with a Sorcerer on foot and it felt like a massive trap. I struggled in multiple areas to compete with multiple threat Durthu bomb Sylvaneth lineup or keep Archaon from being swamped or screened out. 

We found through a days of games on multiple scenarios that if you want to run Varanguard the sweet spot is 6 (in two blobs) and that Khorne/Slaanesh 2 ensorcelled weapons and 1 fell spear felt optimal. 

Archaon was great throughout when I didn't suicide him in. 

MVPs were 40 blobs of Mauraders (obviously) with or without double attacking and 'My Will' on them.

Realmscourge ES was excellent if you can afford it and Darkfire is a good substitute.

I preferred personally Sorc L on Manticore over on foot but that needs more testing. 

Sleeper - Now this might be my preferred playstyle but I thought Cabalist legion had some real finesse to it and if you could maximise your wizards and maybe a gaunt summ and a range of ES you could really do some shenanigans with it. I need to play around a list with it.

Anyways anecdotal evidence aside I will probably run this as core in upcoming big tournaments -

Hide contents

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness
- Damned Legion: Host of the Everchosen (Sixth Circle)
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Archaon the Everchosen (800)
- General
- Aura of Chaos: Khorne
- Spell: Binding Damnation

Battleline
3 x Varanguard (300)
- 2x Ensorcelled Weapons
- 1x Fellspears
3 x Varanguard (300)
- 2x Ensorcelled Weapons
- 1x Fellspears
40 x Chaos Marauders (300)
- Axes & Shields

Total: 1700 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 90

Then likely add a Sorc/Chaos Lord on Manticore and a ES, Warshrine or DP (need more testing Vs more armies)

I didnt think you could miz and match weapons for varangaurd. Am I missing something? 

9 minutes ago, GlitzFan said:

I didnt think you could miz and match weapons for varangaurd. Am I missing something? 

I am just going off what the app and warscroll builder allows me to do. If this isn't the case I think I would do one unit of fellspears and one unit of ensorcelled weapons and then make sure to target priorities appropriately.

What do you think about a Bloodsecrator as an ally for the +1 attack in 16 and the Chaos Lord on foot for the Double activation on archaon? Too slow maybe? you can also play archaon + 2×3 varanguard and some more Support in the slaanesh batallion as 1 drop. Thoughts?

15 hours ago, Jonko said:

Any thought's ? 

To me I just count the dude holding the head as a banner and the skull helmet as a horn. Any opponent who goes rules lawyering over free additional stuff a unit gets isn't going to be a fun oppent anyway so no loss. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Reisyo said:

What do you think about a Bloodsecrator as an ally for the +1 attack in 16 and the Chaos Lord on foot for the Double activation on archaon? Too slow maybe? you can also play archaon + 2×3 varanguard and some more Support in the slaanesh batallion as 1 drop. Thoughts?

The bloodsecrator works quite well with archaon in khorne where you won't be taking wizards anyway, but the reroll successful spells is a huge bummer for the chaos sorcerer lord. Since you pretty much always want to take a sorcerer Lord with archaon it can make positioning tricky. I have been considering a bloodstoker though. +3 to charge is pretty big, and a guaranteed reroll wounds without spells or prayers is amazing. You'll only get to use it on archaon once, but after that you just move another unit near the stoker and fire it off on the next turn.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GlitzFan said:
15 hours ago, Blisterfeet said:

10 hours ago, Blisterfeet said:

I am just going off what the app and warscroll builder allows me to do. If this isn't the case I think I would do one unit of fellspears and one unit of ensorcelled weapons and then make sure to target priorities appropriately.

Marauders, Knights, Warriors and Varanguard all can mix weapons:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/8f9bd00c.pdf

page 2

• Thanks 4

It seems that I didin't get the answers, so I ask again 😉

1. what is the best weapon for the lord on foot (I'll take it from the chariot kit)?  I'm feeling it is the reaperblade...But visually, the flail is awesome.

2. what is the base size of the foot lord? (will magnetize him from a chariot)

On 1/5/2020 at 4:56 AM, Mutton said:

Any thoughts on using a mostly Slaves force in the Tzeentch allegiance? It would mean having access to almost all of the same stuff, but then also Destiny dice, agendas, and better casters.

Bonuses from DoT for Std units are worse than bonuses in StD. There is no reason to take marauders over kairics or warriors/knights over tzaangors.

1 hour ago, Smooth criminal said:

Bonuses from DoT for Std units are worse than bonuses in StD. There is no reason to take marauders over kairics or warriors/knights over tzaangors.

I think Warriors can be an okay to decent pick in some situations. But in general, I fear you're right. Tzeentch has the worst synergy. :(

On 1/5/2020 at 12:08 PM, Jonko said:

Any thought's ? 

Decided to make different bases to show what is what :)

On 1/5/2020 at 5:08 AM, Coolwood said:

Anyone got any ideas for chosen conversions? I was thinking of using deathshroud terminators and then converting them to get rid of the 40k stuff potentially. Any thoughts?

I used blood warrior bodies and hacked off heads and arms to swap with more elite looking bits that i had on hand. Skullreapers or whatever those elite khorne infantry are called would make great khorne chosen but they are on 40's and some have wide stances thatd be tough to fit on 32mm bases, but their weapons and heads are good for it, as are chaos knights or putrid blightking bits.

20200102_201259.jpg

20200104_184315.jpg

1 minute ago, Beltrajor said:

For chaos chosen I'm planning on using 40k sisters of silence and stormcast paladins with chaos bits.

for chosen i would take the new chaos warriors ( waiting for multi-part kit)  , they will standout  in a sea of "old" chaos warriors

12 minutes ago, Rod said:

for chosen i would take the new chaos warriors ( waiting for multi-part kit)  , they will standout  in a sea of "old" chaos warriors

Well, add trim to a warrior's armor and you got a chosen lookwise. At least when I look at the visual difference between a Varanguard the size and lots of trim stick out. I guess Chosen on foot would just be that - slightly larger Chaos Warriors with trim and other weapons. 

On 1/5/2020 at 10:59 AM, Hamartia said:

I was bought it rather tha purchased it myself, but the whole push-to-fit knights/chaos warriors with the equipment they have and lack of command was real dissapointing.

I painted one chaos warrior up, but im not sure whether that was correct as I prefer the idea of bringing them in large units where halberds would be better which has hurt my motivation to continue with the warriors, i would rather wait for the campaign book to come out with hopefully a new chaos warriors box that i can use the parts for in hacking off the weapons of the Start Collecting! models.

As someone who likes the idea of the army, its an annoying position as if i want to expand them now and be playable then it would be better to stick to the older chaos warriors using the old halberd conversion of using the old chaos knight lances. BUT there is no guarantee we even we even get a new multi-part warrior box, and its that not knowing which is really killing my motivation to move forward with the army. I dont mind the old marauders, but to me the fundamentals of the army even in fantasy as WoC was units of chaos warriors.

Considering they have said the old warriors and the upgrade packs will stay in production as well as the new sculpts in the start collecting, I honestly see very little reason to hold out hope for a new multipose kit with weapons options anytime in the near future.  Pretty sure they would have come out with the battletome if they existed.