Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

1 minute ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Sadly, the old skeleton kit is confirmed to return. :(

The existence of that bone dragon also confirms that sand mummies are real, right?

It's funny (or extremely sad) that they replaced said skeleton kit in 2008 for VC, but they think it's perfect for Tomb Kings 20+ years later.

Bone dragon and TK are excellent, looking forward to see if we still get that rumoured plastic chariot.

2 minutes ago, Sathrut said:

It's funny (or extremely sad) that they replaced said skeleton kit in 2008 for VC, but they think it's perfect for Tomb Kings 20+ years later.

Bone dragon and TK are excellent, looking forward to see if we still get that rumoured plastic chariot.

TK shields on that 2008 kit look a lot better than the original kit, as well:

20230416_154415.jpg.8e6d237cde89fcb7ea3c8d2d85f40e52.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Sadly, the old skeleton kit is confirmed to return. :(

The existence of that bone dragon also confirms that sand mummies are real, right?

Sand mummies where together with chariot rumour I think. Dragon was linked with "separate batallion boxes instead of starter set" rumour.

And I like old skellies. They have that Harryhausen vibe that fits well TK.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, michu said:

They're wrong though. Tomb Kings had undead dragons in Warmaster.

They also had scythes and cloaked Wraiths and tombstone base decoration in Warmaster. (That initial Warmaster release of the Undead army was before the Tomb Kings aesthetic was nailed down - just after the split of Undead in WHFB - and it contained a lot of elements that would later firmly be considered to be Vampire Counts territory.)

//

4 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

As Michu said, the new Mummies rumour was not paired with the Dragon rumour.

Additionally, Ejucator (and others') speculation that the flail previewed on WarCom would be for a Mummies kit has been scuttled, as everything in that article appears to be options in the High Liche/Tomb King kit.

vowZeVGniMkPnxSv.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Screenshot_20231118-090928_Firefox.jpg.de96d0c8ce78b7081cfb161f8bdaf34c.jpg

I didn't much care for the bone dragon at first, but I've warmed to it this morning.  I like it more in profile than front on, Which makes me think I'll be ok with it in person as a 3d object.  I'm not surprised that the howda/rider & dragon were designed by two different people, because they feel unfortunately disconnected, and I hope the liche rider can be assembled without the sand vulture without too much trouble removing it.

Overall I think the sphinx remains the superior centerpiece kit, but I'll probably pick up one of these eventually.

I would have traded it in an instant for new basic skellies though.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I love that crocodragon, but seeing it next to the TK skeletons is rough. 20 year gap between the two, ouch.

GW really hasn't learned from 8th ed WFB that what matters is upgrading base troops, not making multiple centerpiece models. Which is stranger is that base troops are the first thing upgraded in 40k/AoS/HH range refreshes. What's going on with TOW for it not to happen ? 

I hope you can run Tomb Guard as base units somehow, because between the skeletons, archers, chariots and horsemen, the core troops of Tomb Kings will look dated... Way more dated than Brets imo.

• Like 3

Well that's a nice kit ! Especially the Liche Priest 💀 I can see AOS (OBR, FEC and SBGL) players using it too. Though I understand those who would prefer basic skellies (or a Necrolith Colossus).

37 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

hope you can run Tomb Guard as base units somehow, because between the skeletons, archers, chariots and horsemen, the core troops of Tomb Kings will look dated... Way more dated than Brets imo.

Yeah those kits (and the Bret Mount Knights Kits) will look quite bad next to half their range now... We'll need conversion materials for the basic troops (harder now that the Vampire Counts skellies have been AOSified).

Also, if the Chariot / Mummies rumor is wrong (remember the pseudo-"Hastings" on WarCom, consistently wrong recently when he doesn't repeat Whitefang, THW or Valrak, may very well be an impersonator), will the Crocodragon the only new plastic kit for TKoK ?!

P.-S. ; at least the (promising !) rules articles and the new FB pages are good signs we aren't too far off !

12 hours ago, Noserenda said:

Looks pretty good, i really wish they hadnt had the intern put the bone coloured model on the bone colour background though... Did noone look at this beforehand? Half the Dragon itself is really vague.

Well the theme is bones, innit? Just use the bones themed background! 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, HorticulusTGA said:

...will the Crocodragon the only new plastic kit for TKoK ?!...

I think I recall Eddie mentioning (off handedly) at one point that there would be further reveals for TK.

Fake edit: "This is on it's way, with a bunch of other new Tomb King things, launching very early in 2024..." (55:01 of the stream.)

(Whether those other new thing will be in resin...)

• Like 1

I really like the crocodile dragon. It's cool. I also wished they had replaced the skeleton warriors. But not a big deal, we are a small group that play at home, so I will just print the core of the army. I will buy the new stuff from GW, but ignore most of the old stuff. There are plenty of great looking stls that look better than those old plastics.image.png.f3cb3ec764b6d9a40513d1ce19094b34.png

image.png.e9c345585c2996c98dbe47f413bd476e.png

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

I love the idea of turning the dragon into a crocodile. I love the priest and the boat-howdah and all the little bits like the scales/Feather of Maat and of course the cat, who will be joining my Basth-themed Casket of Souls!

I will probably get one for all those reasons, but I don’t think the whole model works together as it was intended.

IMG_5669.jpeg

IMG_5665.jpeg

IMG_5666.jpeg

IMG_5671.jpeg

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, Tonhel said:

I really like the crocodile dragon. It's cool. I also wished they had replaced the skeleton warriors. But not a big deal, we are a small group that play at home, so I will just print the core of the army. I will buy the new stuff from GW, but ignore most of the old stuff. There are plenty of great looking stls that look better than those old plastics.image.png.f3cb3ec764b6d9a40513d1ce19094b34.png

image.png.e9c345585c2996c98dbe47f413bd476e.png

Oooh! Where is the second one from? It looks even better than the highlands one!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KingKull said:

Oooh! Where is the second one from? It looks even better than the highlands one!

Here you go:

Pharaoh's Legacy

Absolutely stunning minis, with multiple options for various units (look at the skeleton cavalry!). Honestly think they've nailed the TK aesthetic better than GW themselves (exceptions being Ushabti, Casket of Souls, Settra, Khalida, the original metal Tomb King). Getting strong "The Mummy 1999" vibes from some of the infantry which is the film that made me fall in love with TK in the first place over 20 years ago (I can feel myself aging having typed that).

Edited by Sathrut
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Sception said:

Screenshot_20231118-090928_Firefox.jpg.de96d0c8ce78b7081cfb161f8bdaf34c.jpg

I didn't much care for the bone dragon at first, but I've warmed to it this morning.  I like it more in profile than front on, Which makes me think I'll be ok with it in person as a 3d object.  I'm not surprised that the howda/rider & dragon were designed by two different people, because they feel unfortunately disconnected, and I hope the liche rider can be assembled without the sand vulture without too much trouble removing it.

Overall I think the sphinx remains the superior centerpiece kit, but I'll probably pick up one of these eventually.

I would have traded it in an instant for new basic skellies though.

I think that howdah would go real nice on a Gutripper Vultcha. Would be an expensive conversion, but if you are a Tomb Kings Enjoyer in the current year, you probably have to have pretty deep pockets, right?

38 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I think that howdah would go real nice on a Gutripper Vultcha. Would be an expensive conversion, but if you are a Tomb Kings Enjoyer in the current year, you probably have to have pretty deep pockets, right?

That's exactly the thought I had yesterday.

1 hour ago, Sathrut said:

Here you go:

Pharaoh's Legacy

Absolutely stunning minis, with multiple options for various units (look at the skeleton cavalry!). Honestly think they've nailed the TK aesthetic better than GW themselves (exceptions being Ushabti, Casket of Souls, Settra, Khalida, the original metal Tomb King). Getting strong "The Mummy 1999" vibes from some of the infantry which is the film that made me fall in love with TK in the first place over 20 years ago (I can feel myself aging having typed that).

Thanks! That cavalry is absolutely gorgeous!

• Like 2

On 11/18/2023 at 8:39 AM, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

TK shields on that 2008 kit look a lot better than the original kit, as well:

20230416_154415.jpg.8e6d237cde89fcb7ea3c8d2d85f40e52.jpg

That looks great! The yellow really makes those shields pop. Speaking of shields, they're the silver lining to the old kit returning. Tons of variation in detail, enough flat spaces to go nuts with multiple colours or freehand.

• Thanks 1

On 11/18/2023 at 11:20 AM, KingKull said:

The person who apparently designed the only part of the new TK model I like confirmed a lot of my feelings about it.

IMG_20231118_121740.jpg

artist's are always going to be extra critical of their own work, I can empathise with their frustration to not having full creative control of the sculpt but it looks really great imo. I'm glad that TOW is getting actual new ideas, no matter how much the old guard fans will complain, that stagnation is one of the reasons the original game got axed

• Like 2