Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

51 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

After seeing the kruleboyz on here the other day, decided to add some orcs to my night goblins. 

Big boss, Shaman, warriors and a chariot. 

IMG_20240210_174033.jpg

Was wondering if the sloggoth would work for a chariot and fantastic news to see it does!!!

I think the artst of those pics I shared converted a good portion of the spears to face upwards. 

I'm curious if the  killaboss vulcha or Gobsprakk would fit as a wyvern. 

Looks damn good though, @Ogregut

Edit: Also thought about converting up a gore grunta sorta of like a mini maw grunta with a kruleboy rider and an orruks on each side as a chariot. 

Edit x2: I'd absolutely love to use the mirebrute but he's just such a beefy boy. Maybe a giant but too small and lose troll rules. 

Edited by Vasshpit
  • Like 5

41 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Was wondering if the sloggoth would work for a chariot and fantastic news to see it does!!!

I think the artst of those pics I shared converted a good portion of the spears to face upwards. 

I'm curious if the  killaboss vulcha or Gobsprakk would fit as a wyvern. 

Looks damn good though, @Ogregut

Edit: Also thought about converting up a gore grunta sorta of like a mini maw grunta with a kruleboy rider and an orruks on each side as a chariot. 

Edit x2: I'd absolutely love to use the mirebrute but he's just such a beefy boy. Maybe a giant but too small and lose troll rules. 

Yeah, the age old problem of ranking up! Even with 30mm bases. These are the easy to build gutripperz, I think I'll make a couple of unit fillers, that should help with the awkward spears. 

Going to use Hobgoblins as normal goblins and the boss on the wolf/dog creature (forget it's name) as a warboss on chariot. 

The vulture would be great as a wyvern, not sure about the base tho. 

I thought about the mirebrute as a giant. 

I have a mirebrute and vulture 0ainted in my kruleboyz army so I'll have to get them out to see if they are suitable for TOW. 

I've having so much fun building old world armies, got a load of old chaos warriors having a bath in paint stripper at the moment and a box full of 4th edition wood elf metals crying out for new bases! 

• Like 2

Project202402102220.jpg.a895e5dcd89f25b943ca31577eecb251.jpg

Good news! The plastic Blood Knights fit on 30x60 cav bases just fine - at least in a single rank. They do hang over the front & back, so making two ranks work might rake some extra effort. The champion's mace extending way out to the side obviously won't fit, so give him a sword or lance instead. you can even still use the cape if you clip the mace arm off & trim it up a bit.

• Like 6

does anyone know if they are gonna re-release any of the old terrain kits? or maybe even some new ones? im sick of there being no fortifications with aos, in fact i think every race in aos must be descended from hobbits because nobody seems to dwell in buildings above ground.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mimozine said:

does anyone know if they are gonna re-release any of the old terrain kits? or maybe even some new ones? im sick of there being no fortifications with aos, in fact i think every race in aos must be descended from hobbits because nobody seems to dwell in buildings above ground.

I really hope they do. Those old terrain kits are fantastic and I'd love the chance to get the ones I couldn't afford at the time! We shall see I guess. 

56 minutes ago, mimozine said:

The most recent AoS terrain is very nice, but I agree that there really need to be just a bunch bunch of houses and walls.

I painted the old Fortified Manor and Watchtower kits last year for that reason. They are very nice kits, but hard to paint compared to the new stuff.

After 10 long years of painful absence, after watching my Old World Destroyed and watching the Beauty of that Lore Strewn across the universe like fragments of fleeting star dust, never to be seen again save through glimmers of bejewelled Light in an ever expanding void. 

I thought I would never again set foot on the sands of those shores, nor would I venture in quests and journeys through those Woods and Forests. To set foot in the Lowest Dungeons and Hail from it’s tallest peaks. It is good to see you once more, my Old Friends. 

IMG_6791.jpeg

• Like 12
  • LOVE IT! 2

2 hours ago, mimozine said:

With the problems we are currently having with scenery in general I hardly doubt it for the moment, sadly.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

With the problems we are currently having with scenery in general I hardly doubt it for the moment, sadly.

I just saw someone mention not being allowed to use hills and walls when playing TOW at a local GW because they don't sell them anymore. That kind of seems like a problem. I hope they sort out their terrain troubles soon. It has been a problem since 2nd edition AoS at this point.

• Sad 2

33 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I just saw someone mention not being allowed to use hills and walls when playing TOW at a local GW because they don't sell them anymore. That kind of seems like a problem. I hope they sort out their terrain troubles soon. It has been a problem since 2nd edition AoS at this point.

I have no words. That's, in the most naive of the expressions, silly.

2 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I just saw someone mention not being allowed to use hills and walls when playing TOW at a local GW because they don't sell them anymore.

That's absurd, half of old world is stuff gw doesn't sell at the moment.  Thankfully my local guy is more reasonable.

5 hours ago, Kronos said:

After 10 long years of painful absence, after watching my Old World Destroyed and watching the Beauty of that Lore Strewn across the universe like fragments of fleeting star dust, never to be seen again save through glimmers of bejewelled Light in an ever expanding void. 

I thought I would never again set foot on the sands of those shores, nor would I venture in quests and journeys through those Woods and Forests. To set foot in the Lowest Dungeons and Hail from it’s tallest peaks. It is good to see you once more, my Old Friends. 

IMG_6791.jpeg

I felt the same when I got my books lol! 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mimozine said:

There are a hundred companies that make much nicer terrain, cheaper than GW. 

honestly, I’ll never understand why people buy GW terrain. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Stonehorn said:

There are a hundred companies that make much nicer terrain, cheaper than GW. 

honestly, I’ll never understand why people buy GW terrain. 

I do it mainly because when I get it from GW it is themed for AoS rather than standard/ generic terrain. If you know any other company that has AoS themed terrain, please send me a link!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sception said:

That's absurd, half of old world is stuff gw doesn't sell at the moment.  Thankfully my local guy is more reasonable.

I think the experience in individual stores will mostly come down to the store manager. But it does illustrate some of the maybe unexpected barriers TOW faces.

To be honest, I don't know if it will ever make sense for GW to start producing hills again. There is very little they can add to a hill that would justify their usual markup. Other GW terrain has some upsides. It's themed to the Warhammer universe, it comes in injection molded plastic and it is sometimes genuinely innovative (the Aqualith comes to mind). But none of those apply to a hill, so people will probably just make their own or buy them from companies that sell foam terrain.

I got to play another game with my Winterheart Wood Elves. 1000 points again vs a clubmate's Ogres (again on a 48x48" table). We had to use 2d terrain as we were playing at his place on Friday evening (the dads' hour). We got to learn some more rules and I experimented on purpose with blocking/redirecting charges with the eagles with a 50% success rate :D Poisoned arrows and a surprisingly good performance from the Shadowdancer (lucky killing blows really hurt against such expensive models) carried my Wood Elves to the victory.

My opponent had basically two units (Bulls+Wizard and Ironguts+Tyrant) and a lot of points in chracters (almost 50%). My main concern, of course based on an extremely limited experience, is that the Wood Elves playstyle might not be the most engaging for my opponents. I'll see if the feeling is confirmed when we climb to 1500/2000pts and in case I'll just run more melee (and die)

Took a couple of pictures but the lighting was very bad:

Spoiler

IMG_20240209_212806.jpg.d7577f519aaea529c2ff8542cea6bf88.jpg

IMG_20240209_214931.jpg.d4a8046e91398a77226d2e9d4c455767.jpg

IMG_20240209_222550.jpg.aba39aaae9f8d8d24c14c7ac073e9f73.jpg

IMG_20240209_212811.jpg.e7ce062664f6d6b9762fe622f0801cd6.jpg

Edited by Marcvs
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Marcvs said:

I got to play another game with my Winterheart Wood Elves. 1000 points again vs a clubmate's Ogres (again on a 48x48" table). We had to use 2d terrain as we were playing at his place on Friday evening (the dads' hour). We got to learn some more rules and I experimented on purpose with blocking/redirecting charges with the eagles with a 50% success rate :D Poisoned arrows and a surprisingly good performance from the Shadowdancer (lucky killing blows really hurt against such expensive models) carried my Wood Elves to the victory.

My opponent had basically two units (Bulls+Wizard and Ironguts+Tyrant) and a lot of points in chracters (almost 50%). My main concern, of course based on an extremely limited experience, is that the Wood Elves playstyle might not be the most engaging for my opponents. I'll see if the feeling is confirmed when we climb to 1500/2000pts and in case I'll just run more melee (and die)

Took a couple of pictures but the lighting was very bad:

Hide contents

IMG_20240209_212806.jpg.d7577f519aaea529c2ff8542cea6bf88.jpg

IMG_20240209_214931.jpg.d4a8046e91398a77226d2e9d4c455767.jpg

IMG_20240209_222550.jpg.aba39aaae9f8d8d24c14c7ac073e9f73.jpg

IMG_20240209_212811.jpg.e7ce062664f6d6b9762fe622f0801cd6.jpg

Did you take special arrows on all your units? Been playing with some army lists and trying to figure what goes best with what. 

Been thinking the - 2ap on glade guard, no penalty to move and shoot on glade riders and poisoned on waywatchers or maybe the multiple shot ones on them. 

Thoughts? 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

Did you take special arrows on all your units? Been playing with some army lists and trying to figure what goes best with what. 

Been thinking the - 2ap on glade guard, no penalty to move and shoot on glade riders and poisoned on waywatchers or maybe the multiple shot ones on them. 

Thoughts? 

my algorithm is very simple: poison on everybody, multiple shots on characters, -2 ap on characers with the bow of loren (if any). That being said, I can absolutely see the argument for trueflight for glade riders and multiple shots on waywatchers, but my experience is strongly impacted by my only two real games so far having been vs t4 armies :D

and yes, special arrows on everybody

Edited by Marcvs
  • Like 3

On 2/10/2024 at 6:05 AM, GhostShark said:

Can anyone suggest a good source for movement trays? Im in the US.

I'm in the US and I order txarli factory designed 3d printed plastic bases and movement trays from Covetedforge.com.  They come pre-fitted for 5x1mm disc magnets, which is nice, they're not too pricey, turnaround time on orders is like 3 weeks give or take.  If you have your own 3d printer you can buy the print files from txarli factory instead.

The one word of warning i'll give is that some of the new Old World base sizes (60x100mm bases, bases and unit trays for 30x60 at least, I haven't tried any 30mm square bases or trays yet but probably those too) were re-sized from smaller bases without fixing the magnet slots, so the slots themselves are oversized and/or oblong.  You can still glue the same magnets in, the depth of the magnet slots isn't messed up, but you've got to be careful about centering to get the magnets in the bases and the movement trays to line up.

So there's a fair few caviats here, most of which I'm sure will get worked out in time, but imo these are still the best bases & movement trays you can currently buy for a reasonable price.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 6:05 AM, GhostShark said:

Can anyone suggest a good source for movement trays? Im in the US.

I use warbases.co.uk for movement trays and my mdf bases.

I am not US based, but in Canada. They are fantastic, and ridiculously fast to get shipped to the great white north from England. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

I do it mainly because when I get it from GW it is themed for AoS rather than standard/ generic terrain. If you know any other company that has AoS themed terrain, please send me a link!

I mean, what themes? Theres terrain out there to fit every realm. Just paint to fit. What are you looking for, I’m sure I can point you to something. 

I’m not personally a huge aos guy, I play CoS, but I’ve played twice in the last year. All of our gaming here is Fantasy/Old World (9 games in, and a tournament coming up two weekends from now) and the odd historical game and has been for decades, so I don’t care about that, but aside from endless spells, GW doesn’t make any special terrain. If GW makes it, you can get a nicer version printed elsewhere. GW terrain mostly isn’t nearly as good as other places. GW’s chinese made terrain is their worst product imo. 

and almost every town/city has a 3d printing service if you want printed terrain and don’t have an fdm printer of your own. Frankly, a printer was the best decision I made for terrain, it saved me thousands. My game room has 4 tables, and I have at least a dozen terrain setups. Currently painting a Sphinx and statues for my desert table.