Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

2 hours ago, KingKull said:

This writeup is absolute gold, and I can't thank you enough for it. Maybe save it in a pdf format and release it into the wild? I'm sure many more people would be extremely grateful to read something like this.

Those are only my thoughts, and they're only backed up by a single game.  Even if we count oldhammer experience, i didn't actually get to play all that often and never competitively.  I'm more than happy to write out my process to help anyone struggling to get a beginner list together so they can start building up their own experience, but there are others out there who are more qualified to present actual competitive advice.  Some good examples worth looking at include Russ of Facehammer TV and Vince Vinturella on youtube, both of whom recently put out Tomb Kings army overviews:

this one's a bit meandery, but the chapter list will help you find comments on specific topics

These both rate some options pretty differently than I do, and where there are discrepancies between my advice and theirs both of these guys are speaking from positions of considerably more authority.  Especially worth noting, both of these videos rate the skeleton chariots a lot higher than I do, and in particular recommend mounting kings or princes on chariots to put in the unit, so that's probably a better option than I made it out to be.  Where they disagree with each other, that I leave to you to work out who has the better take.

Regardless, if you're interested in Tomb Kings, both of these videos make good background listening while doing hobby work.

Edited by Sception
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I got my second 1000p game in yesterday. This time I played with Dwarfs against Greenskins. I had 16 warriors, 15 miners, 8 hammerers with rune of battle and thane, a dragon slayer with some runes, bolt thrower, gyrocopter, 8 rangers and 8 thunderers. Pretty formidable amount of units for 1000 points. On the other side were Warboss with 20 boyz, lvl 2 shaman, some skirmishing goblin archers(!), unit of common goblins, 20 goblin infantry, boar chariot and a giant.

i have to say that I like how propert feeling armies can be included in 1000p. Sure my units were lacking in ranks, but they didn’t feel anyhow meaningless. The hammerers and rangers chopped the big orc block to pieces after the rangers counter charged to flank, which was the defining moment.

I had some luck with my bolt thrower causing 4 wounds on the giant and two on chariot, that really turned the game for me. The giant smashed through my miners in a single turn and the chariot was also very scary. Some luck also there thst the chariot lost the other two wounds by the foot of gork under which it overrun after failing restrain :)

Magic didn’t much this time either, the foot of gork was the only spell the shaman managed to cast before I ran over him with the gurocopter. 
dwarfs feel pretty solid, at least in this kind of casual environment. They also feel more mobile than ever before with the marching columns and skirmishers. The miners managed to march midway on the table first turn, a speed record for sure! :)

IMG_0273.jpeg

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

It’s how this game should be played :)

gz to the nice game however:

HOW DARE YOU ONLY UPLOAD ONE IMAGE!?

Personally, I am interested to see how The Old World will develop in a tournament setting, though. Just because I have a hunch that tournament play will look pretty unrecognizable to casual players. I want to see some of the absurd stuff that's going to get cooked up.

2 hours ago, Jamopower said:

i have to say that I like how propert feeling armies can be included in 1000p.

Glad to read this. I am playing two games at 1k pts tomorrow myself with my Wood Elves:

Spoiler

Wood Elf Realms - 1000pts Sisters - [1000pts]

## Main Force [1000pts]

### Characters [179pts]
Shadowdancers [85pts]:
• 1x Shadowdancer: Spear of Loec, Hand Weapon

Waystalkers [94pts]:
• 1x Waystalker: Additional Hand Weapon, Asrai Longbow, General, Swiftshiver Shards, Hand Weapon

### Core [250pts]
Deepwood Scouts [75pts]:
• 5x Deepwood Scout: Asrai Longbow, Hagbane Tips, Hand Weapon

Glade Guard [70pts]:
• 5x Glade Guard: Asrai Longbow, Hagbane Tips, Hand Weapon
Fire and Flee

Glade Riders [105pts]:
• 5x Glade Rider: Asrai Longbow, Cavalry Spear, Elven Steed, Hand Weapon, Hagbane Tips, Hand Weapon
Reserve Move

### Special [361pts]
Sisters Of The Thorn [134pts]:
• 1x Handmaiden of the Thorn
• 1x Standard Bearer
• 5x Sister Of The Thorn: Blackbriar Javelines, Hand Weapon, Steeds of Isha, Hand Weapon

Wardancers [85pts]:
• 5x Wardancer: Additional Hand Weapon, Hand Weapon

Wild Riders [142pts]:
• 1x Wild Hunter
• 5x Wild Rider: Hand Weapon, Hunting Spear, Light Armour, Steeds of Kornous, Hand Weapon

### Rare [210pts]
Great Eagles [60pts]:
• 1x Great Eagle: Serrated Maw, Wicked Claws

Great Eagles [60pts]:

Waywatchers [90pts]:
• 5x Waywatcher: Asrai Longbow, Hagbane Tips, Hand Weapon

The list is just a collection of MSU really, based on what I have already painted/rebased for my WInterheart recycling project. Here's the latest entries:

Spoiler

IMG_20240126_143748.jpg.21ff3ed282529411b83280cb3a5699c7.jpg

IMG_20240123_172012(1).jpg.e0791942ca1dd1e6068770fae10bf4bf.jpg

IMG_20240121_085320.jpg.f6b1c055fe645d1d831332ca91577543.jpg

My opponent will play dwarves with 3 heroes, 3 units (17 longbeards and 10 quarrellers + 10 thunderers) ad 2 cannons, but really, we'll be mostly learning how to play 😅

Edited by Marcvs
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Just because I have a hunch that tournament play will look pretty unrecognizable to casual players

I used to be quite active in the tournament scene back in 8ths. The rules lawyering and exploitation of loopholes ruined the game, that and factions that could spam cheap redirectors in contigents to control the game from the start.

I‘ve had my share and it was bad enough xD

2 hours ago, Marcvs said:

Glad to read this. I am playing two games at 1k pts tomorrow myself with my Wood Elves:

Reveal hidden contents

Wood Elf Realms - 1000pts Sisters - [1000pts]

## Main Force [1000pts]

### Characters [179pts]
Shadowdancers [85pts]:
• 1x Shadowdancer: Spear of Loec, Hand Weapon

Waystalkers [94pts]:
• 1x Waystalker: Additional Hand Weapon, Asrai Longbow, General, Swiftshiver Shards, Hand Weapon

### Core [250pts]
Deepwood Scouts [75pts]:
• 5x Deepwood Scout: Asrai Longbow, Hagbane Tips, Hand Weapon

Glade Guard [70pts]:
• 5x Glade Guard: Asrai Longbow, Hagbane Tips, Hand Weapon
Fire and Flee

Glade Riders [105pts]:
• 5x Glade Rider: Asrai Longbow, Cavalry Spear, Elven Steed, Hand Weapon, Hagbane Tips, Hand Weapon
Reserve Move

### Special [361pts]
Sisters Of The Thorn [134pts]:
• 1x Handmaiden of the Thorn
• 1x Standard Bearer
• 5x Sister Of The Thorn: Blackbriar Javelines, Hand Weapon, Steeds of Isha, Hand Weapon

Wardancers [85pts]:
• 5x Wardancer: Additional Hand Weapon, Hand Weapon

Wild Riders [142pts]:
• 1x Wild Hunter
• 5x Wild Rider: Hand Weapon, Hunting Spear, Light Armour, Steeds of Kornous, Hand Weapon

### Rare [210pts]
Great Eagles [60pts]:

Great Eagles [60pts]:

Waywatchers [90pts]:
• 5x Waywatcher: Asrai Longbow, Hagbane Tips, Hand Weapon

The list is just a collection of MSU really, based on what I have already painted/rebased for my WInterheart recycling project. Here's the latest entries:

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_20240126_143748.jpg.21ff3ed282529411b83280cb3a5699c7.jpg

IMG_20240123_172012(1).jpg.e0791942ca1dd1e6068770fae10bf4bf.jpg

IMG_20240121_085320.jpg.f6b1c055fe645d1d831332ca91577543.jpg

My opponent will play dwarves with 3 heroes, 3 units (17 longbeards and 10 quarrellers + 10 thunderers) ad 2 cannons, but really, we'll be mostly learning how to play 😅

My first game was quite similar, I had msu wood elves chosen with a feeling of what was good in 6th edition against a dwarf longbeard bunker for which I couldn't do much :) but hopefully those wild riders help there...

3 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Personally, I am interested to see how The Old World will develop in a tournament setting, though. Just because I have a hunch that tournament play will look pretty unrecognizable to casual players. I want to see some of the absurd stuff that's going to get cooked up.

I'm also interested in how it will turn out. I playead a lot of tournaments back in 6/7th edition and the "casual" games were also heavily effected on that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

I'm also interested in how it will turn out. I playead a lot of tournaments back in 6/7th edition and the "casual" games were also heavily effected on that.

I saw one video claiming that skirmishers, dragons and long lines of missile troops seemed strong. I don't know how accurate that will be, but if this turns out to be the tournament meta, then it will probably look pretty different from "normal" TOW.

My guess based on my experience from 6/7th (of which this game very closely resembles) is that the tournament armies would be full of hard hitting stuff with narrow frontage (single characters on (flying) mounts, monsters (especially dragons, which seem to be much stronger than ever before, and also much stronger than most of the other monsters in ToW), chariots and cavalry (which is wider). Those are best countered with chaff (i.e. the skirmishers, fast cavalry, chaos hounds and such), which again is countered with shooting (which also helps against chariots etc.). That's then supported by (cheap) infantry, depending a bit on the army. 

As can be seen, Dwarfs don't tick a lot of those boxes... 

4 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

It’s how this game should be played :)

gz to the nice game however:

HOW DARE YOU ONLY UPLOAD ONE IMAGE!?

Few additional ones due to request :)

it was a pleasure to play with two nice armies and nice terrain (made by myself). 

Next week I already agreed to have a 2000p game against dark elf cavalry led by dragon, so that maybe gives some view how it could look in the other end of the spectrum.

IMG_0262.jpeg

IMG_0268.jpeg

IMG_0270.jpeg

IMG_0277.jpeg

IMG_0272.jpeg

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 7

6 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

21 gyrocopters😂

13 minutes ago, Bosskelot said:

So the magic reference cards went back in-stock on the GW store for about 15 minutes before they went out of stock again. 😂

No way?! I hope the Bret box lasts a bit longer!

Edited by Ejecutor

off topic but i just get from gw a box of karl franz and cold one knigths and both have oval and squares bases.

its weird because two months ago i got scourge privates pirates and had only oval bases.

but the most weird is that these square bases are olds,i didnt measures karl franz,but the cold ones had 25x50 and not the actual 30x60

26 minutes ago, Doko said:

off topic but i just get from gw a box of karl franz and cold one knigths and both have oval and squares bases.

its weird because two months ago i got scourge privates pirates and had only oval bases.

but the most weird is that these square bases are olds,i didnt measures karl franz,but the cold ones had 25x50 and not the actual 30x60

Maybe it is just that you got a box from older stock? Otherwise would be weird.

16 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Maybe it is just that you got a box from older stock? Otherwise would be weird.

nop,i was waiting weeks due to both boxes out of stock,and i ordered them just when they came back.

its weird because the dark elfs that i got also from gw some months ago had only ovals and these have both,but olds.

also the box is the typical new generic boxes,not the new of tow(i know dark elfs wont get it and empire is too much soon yet)

4 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

21 gyrocopters😂

I like that my dwarfs are the true ancestors of my KO army.

Use the Rune of Haste & Urgency for a double Bombing Run while listening Ride of the Valkyries.

• Haha 1

currently, people are worried about long lines of dudes, dragon lords, and other silliness in their games, along with really skewed lists like the 'five lvl 4 empire wizards on pegasi' list and the 'one million gyrocopters' list and the always traditional 'oops all chaff' lists people seem to think are great online.

what a truly hope is that whatever tournament scene appears, people will actually put terrain on the field and not play on giant open plains, because open plains encourage degenerate play, conga lines, giant chaff blocks, 20-person wide units, and other trash that a few houses and rocks would dumpster immediately, to say nothing of woods and other LoS-blocking things. I don't want to play on any moonscapes ever again, it was even the casual standard in 8th and it really miffed me when my opponent and I took turns putting terrain down and they would grab whatever the biggest piece was and just stuff it in a corner, every time, as if 'superior generalship' was being able to field 10x5 blocks with impunity. :s

• Like 3

For the 20 gyrocopter list quite obvious problem is that it would be very strong against massed ranked infantry, but in an environment where there are armies with 20 gyrocopters they would face against similar spam armies, and against, say 20 individual dragon ogres and chariots with various flying monsters in between, the 20 gyrocopters would just be speedbumps and do very little :)

What comes to the terrain, the armies described above would also love tables with heavy terrain. Even chariots don’t seem to care too much if they go through a forest every now and then.

Edited by Jamopower

I played 7-wide Orc units using the new sizes and they were so unbelievably clunky to maneuverer around once terrain and other units came into the equation.

The fact people think 20-30 wide units are going to be in any way useable just exposes them as being online-only mathhammerers.

• Like 5