Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

42 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Exactly, but its a superior material and the molds cost hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Yeah this. Resin moulds are far cheaper to produce than plastic. Resin minis should be cheaper, but Forge World set the precedent that resin is expensive* and everyone just seems to have accepted this.

*To be fair, in the his old days Forge World resin was a step above GW metal and plastic. What is still true that resin can hold certain details better, this isn't really the case anymore.

• Like 4

The unreleased Bretonnian Lord On Foot coming to MTO.

QagVKNK0qlBNYJ1i.jpg

ITWJDdeLlCXc7pgp.jpg

The article also mentions "he's far from the only rarity to return," conspicuously below the Games Day 2009 Exalted Hero.

BSj7D1GACbinJ5qe.jpg

We’ve also got some further exciting reveals this week. Those lucky enough to attend the Warhammer: The Old World launch event at Warhammer World in Nottingham this weekend will get the first look at the next army due for release! And for those who can’t make it to Nottingham, we’ll have the details here on Warhammer Community.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Also the next old world army is going to get revealed at the launch event this weekend. My money's on the dwarves. 

The cat is out of the bag now with the dice, so that would be my guess too. Especially if they're only revealing the one.

• Like 2

that's a very cool Chaos lord

They say the new models are metal though, I remember metal models being a hell to build back when I had them in 2006 (the death guard daemon prince's arm kept falling off)

are the metal sculpts better to wok with these days?

5 minutes ago, Glutos said:

They say the new models are metal though, I remember metal models being a hell to build back when I had them in 2006 (the death guard daemon prince's arm kept falling off)

Infantry-sized models are generally fine. Some of the more infamous and/or larger ones, like Abaddon and the Daemon Prince you mentioned, may need pinning, but for the majority just super glue and a bit of patience holding it into place worked out alright for me.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Glutos said:

that's a very cool Chaos lord

Yeah. I'm glad some of these old minis are coming back for those that want them, but I really don't miss metal minis. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

The article also mentions "he's far from the only rarity to return," conspicuously below the Games Day 2009 Exalted Hero.

BSj7D1GACbinJ5qe.jpg

This dude's an interesting one as he was actually resculpted slightly between being previewed (a painted mini and all) and being released as a games day mini.

The older version only had the lower pair of horns, had a more conventional round helmet, and lacked the big skull-pole. Can't find a picture but it was a better mini imo. All part of the lineage of 'chaos champions looking badass dual-wielding axes', going back to Slambo.

RE: the Bretonnian lord, good mini. Face isn't great but that's mostly the sculpting around the eyes.

Edited by sandlemad

From the article: image.png.7e8cf8478c44916acf8161c3a4dd1aa8.png

Care to speculate what those new models might be? Assuming we haven't already seen them. Also, do we know if possible remasters will be in resin? I haven't worked with FW resin before, but I take it it's a lot better than Finecast?

5 minutes ago, Magnusaur said:

From the article: image.png.7e8cf8478c44916acf8161c3a4dd1aa8.png

Care to speculate what those new models might be? Assuming we haven't already seen them. Also, do we know if possible remasters will be in resin? I haven't worked with FW resin before, but I take it it's a lot better than Finecast?

Yes. It is a massive step into the right direction in comparison with Failcast.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Yeah. I'm glad some of these old minis are coming back for those that want them, but I really don't miss metal minis. 

This, this so many times. All the Resin stuff released so far has been stunning. The re released plastic some still amazing, some acceptable but not ideal. The metal though, to me, is just a couple steps backwards.

I went through great lengths to avoid metal miniatures. I blame trauma of trying to paint a box of metal saurus guard when I was 12, chipped paint, purple ink and blood from halberd stabbings everywhere. I don’t think I’d fair anybetter now 😂

I just look at the stunning Miniatures they’ve done for Blood Bowl, Heresy and Necromunda and wonder what other cool Lords and hero's could and will come. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry if it's a really daft question. But when models were sculptured by hand (as mentioned in the article), were they sculptured at the size they will be cast at? Or sculptured bigger and somehow shrunk down for production?

Miniature painting is skilled enough, I can't imagine actually sculpting something detailed that small.

(And how on Earth then did they manage the original Epic models?)

Edited by EntMan

3 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Sorry if it's a really daft question. But when models were sculptured by hand (as mentioned in the article), were they sculptured at the size they will be cast at? Or sculptured bigger and somehow shrunk down for production?

Miniature painting is skilled enough, I can't imagine actually sculpting something detailed that small.

(And how on Earth then did they manage the original Epic models?)

Same size and then they created the moulds from it.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hollow said:

When sculpting by hand the models were done 1 to 1. They were scuplted in the size they were cast. Crazy. 

9 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Same size and then they created the moulds from it.

Wow, as a kid in the 80s I loved Warhammer, but had no idea the skill and talent of the designers, just took it all for granted!

1 minute ago, sandlemad said:

That was the case for metal and resin minis, though plastics were sculpted at three times the scale (before the adoption of more CAD and such).

Here’s some for the old SM veterans, as shared by Darren Latham on twitter:   

image.jpeg

So the next question here is how did they then scale them down pre-CAD?