AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

14 minutes ago, PainfullyMediocre said:

Are three Beastclaw Start collecting sets a decent start to an army?

Yes. Definitely. BCR are the superior Ogors imo, now that I have played both and a mix. 3 SC builds a perfect 2k list with 2 FloSH, a HoSH and 12 MF in an Eurlbad Battallion.

23 minutes ago, Heaven_lord said:

Hey, what do you think of this list for doubles and meeting engagement ?

Frostlord on Stonehorn

2* beastrider in Stonehorn

Thanks !

Not valid for meeting engagement because you can't take behemoths in the spearhead or leave the spearhead empty

On 3/27/2020 at 12:55 PM, Arcce said:

Yes. Definitely. BCR are the superior Ogors imo, now that I have played both and a mix. 3 SC builds a perfect 2k list with 2 FloSH, a HoSH and 12 MF in an Eurlbad Battallion.

A Eurlbad needs one of those FLoSH to be regular SH beastriders, before anyone starts gluing! I presume that’s what you meant, as that makes exactly 2k points as well.

1 hour ago, Baron Wastelands said:

A Eurlbad needs one of those FLoSH to be regular SH beastriders, before anyone starts gluing! I presume that’s what you meant, as that makes exactly 2k points as well.

Yep exactly, my bad. I wish FLoSH could be in battallions tho

• Sad 1

On 3/28/2020 at 5:39 AM, Heaven_lord said:

Hey, what do you think of this list for doubles and meeting engagement ?

Frostlord on Stonehorn

2* beastrider in Stonehorn

Thanks !

I played this in a series of 1k games and it is absolutely brutal. I was undefeated for ages and my club was going to bring it to adepticon until everything happened.its incredibly hard to deal with at 1k points since it is fast, killy but also takes and holds objectives like a champ. And 3 drops is very low at 1k points so you can often give up turn one to capture your home objectives anyway

On 3/27/2020 at 1:38 PM, PainfullyMediocre said:

Are three Beastclaw Start collecting sets a decent start to an army?

edit: Too weak willed, i've ordered 3 :D

Yeah, you could build a good 2k List with 3 Start Collecting boxes. 
Just build one Frostlord on Stonehorn, one Huskard on Stonehorn and one Stonehorn Beastriders. With the 12 Mournfang you have the perfect conditions for your first Battalion, the "Eurlbad" battalion. 
So go on and build your mighty Beastclaw Army :)

Hello,

I have been considering an ogor army since before their new book came out, but have been hesitant to pull the trigger because, well, life.  Now that I have some unexpected free time I feel like the time is now. I am trying to figure out the most efficient way to start an ogor army. 

I know that 3 beast claw start collecting boxes has been mentioned but I am not certain that I want a full army of BCR. If anyone knows of an alternative that will not break my poor wallet but maybe is a little more flushed out then 3 SC, that would be great to hear!

A whole different question I have that i related to starting an ogor army is, generally how do they play? I have only seen 1-2 battle reports with ogors involved so I haven't been able to grasp their style all that way. I just really like the models haha.

Anyway, I look forward to and appreciate and advice or suggestions,

Thanks much!

3 hours ago, sabres1226 said:

Hello,

I have been considering an ogor army since before their new book came out, but have been hesitant to pull the trigger because, well, life.  Now that I have some unexpected free time I feel like the time is now. I am trying to figure out the most efficient way to start an ogor army. 

I know that 3 beast claw start collecting boxes has been mentioned but I am not certain that I want a full army of BCR. If anyone knows of an alternative that will not break my poor wallet but maybe is a little more flushed out then 3 SC, that would be great to hear!

A whole different question I have that i related to starting an ogor army is, generally how do they play? I have only seen 1-2 battle reports with ogors involved so I haven't been able to grasp their style all that way. I just really like the models haha.

Anyway, I look forward to and appreciate and advice or suggestions,

Thanks much!

If you can pick up a couple of Feast of Bones halves on Ebay then you have the start of an Underguts list. I’m running a 2k list which is basically two FoB boxes, a third Iron Blaster, a FLoSH and a butcher. 

It’s fractionally more than the three SC boxes in cost but not by a huge amount (the two FoB are about equivalent to a SC box) so you’ve got the ~£80 of the Ironblaster, FLoSH, butcher versus the £50 of the third SC box. So there’s only about £30 in it. 

Whether it’s actually any good is debatable but I think it looks decent on paper and a) has more variety than the triple SC box option and b) is more conducive to expanding in future

EDIT: Attached is the list I end up with. 

B81D68EE-3367-4DA2-A884-FF7213DA318B.png

Edited by James101

So what do you guys think of mixing a eurlbad and with an under guts gunline? They seem like the two best Ogor builds, shooting can help soften fight first armies, and you can screen or counter charge with the BCR. I've been trying to make a list work, but it seems like a peas and potatoes thing, your not making your peas better by mixing them, your just making your potatoes worse.

24 minutes ago, grimgold said:

So what do you guys think of mixing a eurlbad and with an under guts gunline? They seem like the two best Ogor builds, shooting can help soften fight first armies, and you can screen or counter charge with the BCR. I've been trying to make a list work, but it seems like a peas and potatoes thing, your not making your peas better by mixing them, your just making your potatoes worse.

Personally I don’t think it’ll work. I wouldn’t run a Eurlbad if I wasn’t also running a FLoSH or two. And I’m not sure you can squeeze a FLoSH, a Eurlbad and the requisite shooting stuff in the points. 

8 hours ago, James101 said:

Personally I don’t think it’ll work. I wouldn’t run a Eurlbad if I wasn’t also running a FLoSH or two. And I’m not sure you can squeeze a FLoSH, a Eurlbad and the requisite shooting stuff in the points. 

Here is what I was thinking:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
Mawtribe: Underguts

LEADERS
Tyrant (160)
- Artefact : Gruesome Trophy Rack
- Big Name : Fateseeker

Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- General
- Command Trait : Mass of Scars
- Blood Vulture
- Mount Trait : Black Clatterhorn

Icebrow Hunter (120)
- Artefact : Gnoblar Blast Keg

UNITS
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Culling Clubs or Prey Hackers with Iron Fists

4 x Mournfang Pack (280)

4 x Leadbelchers (160)

BEHEMOTHS

Stonehorn Beastriders (300)
- Ogor Mawtribes Battleline (Beastclaw Raiders General)

ARTILLERY
Ironblaster (120)
Ironblaster (120)

BATTALIONS
Eurlbad (140)

The gruesome trophy rack Buffs the Iron blaster and leadbelchers, and the  command trait helps out the iron blasters. It's 6.5 to 7 points of damage per shooting phase just from the iron blasters assuming a 4+ save, and the leadbelchers are icing on the cake.  Could you get more mileage out of 560 additional points of BCR? Which would equate to a frostlord on stonehorn, and two four "man" units of frost sabers.  

14 hours ago, grimgold said:

I think you're right about the Underguts elements making the BCR force weaker overall - it's not just the extra 560 points, but all the benefits of the Boulderhead tribe that you're missing out on. The shooting elements would have to be pulling a lot of weight to make up for that, and I doubt they would compare favourably to a FLoSH. You do end up with a more well-rounded force, though, and you'd have something to do during the shooting phase (other than vulch people) which might be nice.

That aside, all I really wanted to say is that peas with mashed potatoes is one of my favourites and they're both substantially improved by the combination, so your analogy is DEEPLY FLAWED. >:|

• Like 1

10 hours ago, grimgold said:

Here is what I was thinking:

Hide contents

Mawtribe: Underguts

LEADERS
Tyrant (160)

- General
- Blood Vulture

Icebrow Hunter (120)

UNITS
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)

4 x Mournfang Pack (280)

4 x Leadbelchers (160)

BEHEMOTHS

ARTILLERY
Ironblaster (120)
Ironblaster (120)

BATTALIONS
Eurlbad (140)

The gruesome trophy rack Buffs the Iron blaster and leadbelchers, and the  command trait helps out the iron blasters. It's 6.5 to 7 points of damage per shooting phase just from the iron blasters assuming a 4+ save, and the leadbelchers are icing on the cake.  Could you get more mileage out of 560 additional points of BCR? Which would equate to a frostlord on stonehorn, and two four "man" units of frost sabers.  

I don’t think the shooting bits in here make up for 8 Sabres and a FLoSH personally. Particularly since you’re getting a worse pair of artefacts and losing a second mount trait etc. 

The other problem with that list (even if it’s damage output was comparable which is questionable) is how flimsy it is. Ironblasters are arguably a sub-par unit without the extra shot afforded by the Underguts command ability and trophy rack and all of this goes out the window if the Tyrant is sniper off the board. And against certain lists he absolutely will be. You need to run a Gutguard in my opinion just to keep the Tyrant from being sniped. 

Theres also an argument that the command ability to fire an additional shot from the ironblasters is of debatable value from two ironblasters. I think you need a third ironblaster to justify the spend of the CP. 

In short, I think the bare minimum Underguts package is 860 points (Tyrant, 4 Ironguts, 3 ironblasters and the Gutguard battalion). 

3 hours ago, James101 said:

I don’t think the shooting bits in here make up for 8 Sabres and a FLoSH personally. Particularly since you’re getting a worse pair of artefacts and losing a second mount trait etc. 

The other problem with that list (even if it’s damage output was comparable which is questionable) is how flimsy it is. Ironblasters are arguably a sub-par unit without the extra shot afforded by the Underguts command ability and trophy rack and all of this goes out the window if the Tyrant is sniper off the board. And against certain lists he absolutely will be. You need to run a Gutguard in my opinion just to keep the Tyrant from being sniped. 

Theres also an argument that the command ability to fire an additional shot from the ironblasters is of debatable value from two ironblasters. I think you need a third ironblaster to justify the spend of the CP. 

In short, I think the bare minimum Underguts package is 860 points (Tyrant, 4 Ironguts, 3 ironblasters and the Gutguard battalion). 

You can only take two iron blasters in a gut guard, so if you took three you'd lose out on that sweet two drop army action. I also don't know if your getting much mileage out of the gut guard, if your running a eurlbad and a gutguard you won't have a frostlord to drop the ethereal amulet on, and we already start with an extra command point. For just about that 120 you could add a butcher, which gives you two people who can use the underguts command trait, and people will have to choose between targeting ribcracker or a gruesome trophy rack. If you put the maw pot by the tyrant and the butcher, they'll be bait to lure enemies close enough to the maw pot to refill it. 

Spoiler

- Mawtribe: Underguts

LEADERS
- General
- Blood Vulture

Tyrant (160)

Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
- Lore of Gutmagic : Ribcracker

UNITS
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)

4 x Mournfang Pack (280)

BEHEMOTHS

ARTILLERY
Ironblaster (120)
Ironblaster (120)
Ironblaster (120)

BATTALIONS
Eurlbad (140)

Hi everyone. So i've read through the forum and the thought of buying 3x SC BCR sounds to good to be true for a good 2k army. 

What variants of this type of list has been successful competitivly? just curious! anyone tried it, what is the general playstyle/tactic? 

Would love to hear from poeple with some experience! :) 

Cheers! 

1 hour ago, Kimbo said:

Hi everyone. So i've read through the forum and the thought of buying 3x SC BCR sounds to good to be true for a good 2k army. 

What variants of this type of list has been successful competitivly? just curious! anyone tried it, what is the general playstyle/tactic? 

Would love to hear from poeple with some experience! :)

Cheers! 

The best suggestion that I can give you is to magnetise the heads of the monsters. 

2 hours ago, Zorki said:

Hello,

I'm actually looking for a icebrow hunter, i have a friend Who can give me a Hrothgorn's Mantrapper. Can i play with him on a normal AoS game ? Same for the saber of this pack ?

Thanks.

Hrothgorn is a bit small (more like a glutton) and he stands on a 40mm base. But if you put him on 50mm, he should work nice as a hunter. Same for the saber, base is a bit small, otherwise he is fine.

• Thanks 1

I have a list in mind and would like some input. I'm not looking for ultra competitive, but something with teeth atleast. Anyone tried something similiar? 

1x FLoSH 

1x HoSH

1x Icebrow Hunter 

1x Beastriders 

2x 4 Mournfang

8x Sabers 

( Eurlbad batallion) 

2k on the nose! 

11 hours ago, Zorki said:

Did we have some topic or report about including the Hrothgorn's Mantrappers on a match play list ? Did they work ? Trap looks amazing, but worth for 160 pts ?

I saw a GMG batrep with them, and they did next to nothing. Even without a bad roll on the trap, the best they could have hoped for was to get a sacrificial squig, because Owen is not dumb.