Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Still-young

AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, nine7six said:

Is everyone building the greatblade on the guard? Any reason not to?

If anything I think the consensus I’ve heard is the opposite. If you’re running sword guard it’s only a slight mathematical boost that myself and most people I’ve talked to aren’t going to bother with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

Yea, they just really get shafted with the rest, the command ability loses a ton of value due to the battalion doing the same thing for free.

It loses some value, but not as much as you might (or I did) think.  Battalion ability has limited range from the hero, only applies to the two units in the battalion.  A cav army is going to run more than the 2 kavalos units in the lance, but isnt going to run two lances, because you won't want two lieges.  Stalliarch lets you retreat & charge with units outside of the lance, or lance units not in range of the liege, while the battalion lets you retreat and charge with lance units in ramge of the hero without spending rd points.

Compare to shield corps.  Everyone likes that battalion and it just lets one unit a turn do something they could have done anyway, just without spending a point.  Same deal.

While the lance is still good for staliarchs, and staliarchs will definitely want to run it, I don't deny that it does more for other legions, and that doesn't feel right.  But the combination is still good.

While I won't defend their command trait or artifact, the legion trait and command ability really are quite good, and they're good in ways that meaningfully change how the army builds and plays, which is what subfaction rules should do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nine7six said:

Is everyone building the greatblade on the guard? Any reason not to?

Reasons to field them:

better than spears, helps narrow the gap between spears and swords.

Fractionally better than swords without the nadirite buff spell, which won't be up on all your units all the time

Look cool, if you think they look cool

 

Reasons not to field them:

Have to roll their attacks separately, which is a hassle

Look bad, if you think they look bad

Only comfortably fit on one of the unit's bodies, resulting in either awkward assembly or a chorus line effect in your front rank if you field multiples.

Honestly, the arm fit for morteks is kind of bad in general.

Edited by Sception
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nine7six said:

Is everyone building the greatblade on the guard? Any reason not to?

Maybe I'm an idiot, partially because I cut out all the parts without referencing instructions, but I could not figure out which torso the greatblade fit on... tried numerous times but couldn't get a solid fit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Koujow said:

I was reading the article on Goonhammer earlier and it suggests that the bravery penalty from Praetorian can stack when multiple units are around. I know that if, for example, you had Vokmortian near an enemy, they would get -2 Bravery (-1 from Praetorian and -1 from Vokmortian's ability), but the article suggests that if another unit was also nearby, the bonus would increase to -3. Is that right? 

That is wrong unfortunately, the rule is they get -1 if near any Praetorians, does not matter how many, still just -1. 

8 hours ago, nine7six said:

Is everyone building the greatblade on the guard? Any reason not to?

Just about pointless in a unit of swords, you get +1 to wound but no exploding hits on 6. It is mostly down to rule of cool vs convenience of rolling the same dice.

For a spear unit the greatblades are worth it. Nothing in the warscroll says you cant give the greatblade to the Hekatos (just like stormcast do with their primes), so even in a 20 man spear unit, you will get 5 attacks with a bit of rend on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone played against Slaanesh or Flesh-eaters? I'm in trouble to beat them beacause they always hit first with a lot of attacks (Keepers and GKoT attack twice) and if they take double turn it's impossible. How do you counter that? They usually play with batalions, so Its quite difficult to go first too.

Greetings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody tried stalliarch Lords with a bunch of mortek guard to swarm with undead clanrats? Could even model rat skulls on them.  Run/retreat/charge on defensive blob seems like it'd be really tough to lose objectives,.but I don't know if losing the save is worth the maneuverability. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, jackmcmahon said:

Anybody tried stalliarch Lords with a bunch of mortek guard to swarm with undead clanrats? Could even model rat skulls on them.  Run/retreat/charge on defensive blob seems like it'd be really tough to lose objectives,.but I don't know if losing the save is worth the maneuverability. 

Stalliarch flee & charge ca is for mounted models only - kavalos, liege, soulmason, arkhan, nagash.  Doesn't work for zandtos because he has the pretorian keyword.

The run & charge legion trait works for anyone except the pretorian named characters.

Edited by Sception
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, nine7six said:

Is everyone building the greatblade on the guard? Any reason not to?

Nope, you should be. And should give the first one to the champion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Koujow said:

I was reading the article on Goonhammer earlier and it suggests that the bravery penalty from Praetorian can stack when multiple units are around. I know that if, for example, you had Vokmortian near an enemy, they would get -2 Bravery (-1 from Praetorian and -1 from Vokmortian's ability), but the article suggests that if another unit was also nearby, the bonus would increase to -3. Is that right? 

It does not stack.

it says:

“Subtract 1 from the Bravery characteristic of enemy units while they are within 12" of any friendly MORTIS PRAETORIANS units.”

So when you check whether a unit is within the debuff, you verify that it is within any and that unit receives the debuff. If it were to stack it would say “for each”, or rephrase it to each OBR unit giving -1 bravery around them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, 

I'm thinking about two lists for 1000pt games, my usual gaming size (and usually Meeting Engagement).

Both lists are designed without specific Legions. Optimization would simply mean going Petrifex.

 

Katakros 500
10 Mortek Guards (Swords) 130
5 Kavalos Deathriders (Swords) 180
5 Kavalos Deathriders (Swords) 180
990/1000

Liege Kavalos 200
Mortisan Soulmason 140 (Empower Weapons)
20 Mortek Guards (Swords) 260
5 Kavalos Deathriders (Swords) 180
Gothizzar Harverster (Bludgeons) 200
970/1000

 

What are your thoughts on Katakros in small format games ? I tried to use only Battlelines with him for board control or mobility. Would he be overkill ?

Thanks in advance !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used the catapult in battle yesterday. Its fantastic. I played against stormcast and its perfect for sniping those support heroes. Its also good to just fire at units and such. Im going to get at least one more of them later on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was the first 2K list I wrote after flipping trough the book. The general idea is to keep the heroes alive and grind down the enemy. I'm looking for improvements and I should add that I have not played any death armies in AoS before.

20191117_110058.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Goldy751 said:

Catapult done! 

46619149-DF8C-4C9C-83B3-DE5B1972DA88.jpeg

979FE69E-EB16-4522-9090-E1FE71787A28.jpeg

5837F982-897B-4ACA-8D15-CCAB09D92FAE.jpeg

ACDC44FD-2D37-4C07-BA3D-B06F766C1410.jpeg

Nice! How many sub-assemblies did you have to do to get it painted? 

I am still hoping a wraithbone undercoat with seraphim sepia shade Will work on those big surfaces.. :D but Will take me a while to get to painting that big hunk of a modell! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nuradin said:

Nice! How many sub-assemblies did you have to do to get it painted? 

I am still hoping a wraithbone undercoat with seraphim sepia shade Will work on those big surfaces.. :D but Will take me a while to get to painting that big hunk of a modell! 

I did a lot of sub assemblies on this model. I had to becouse i basically drybrushed the entire model

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Goldy751 said:

Catapult done!

I like it, great job. I'm still struggling to find a scheme. I know I'm doing jade weapons\shields with copper or gold as the metallics throughout, but thinking of a complementary color to use for the bone is what's getting to me as I don't want to use a standard bone color. Maybe I'll go with gray...or a mars red.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

I like it, great job. I'm still struggling to find a scheme. I know I'm doing jade weapons\shields with copper or gold as the metallics throughout, but thinking of a complementary color to use for the bone is what's getting to me as I don't want to use a standard bone color. Maybe I'll go with gray...or a mars red.

Black would work nicely with your scheme, with reddish leather. Salamanders Chapter style.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, christophe said:

Black would work nicely with your scheme, with reddish leather. Salamanders Chapter style.

I zenithal prime, so yeah I think hitting them with a 2:1 Black Templar\Medium mix would be good for the highlights to show through. Really like that red leather suggestion too.. I may have a good ink for that I can airbrush on. I think I may throw together a test model later once I'm done magnetizing this ludicrously large terrain piece. Thanks for the suggestion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, NinthMusketeer said:

Nope, you should be. And should give the first one to the champion.

In smaller units, yeah, if you take one or nore greatblades the first should go on the champion.

In larger units you might want to keep the champion in the middle of the unit inatead of the front, for the various wholly within 6" of a mortek hekatos abilities, in which case the greatblades should be on regular troopers who you can keep in front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sception said:

In smaller units, yeah, if you take one or nore greatblades the first should go on the champion.

In larger units you might want to keep the champion in the middle of the unit inatead of the front, for the various wholly within 6" of a mortek hekatos abilities, in which case the greatblades should be on regular troopers who you can keep in front.

I keep seeing this “keep the hekatos  in The center so his unit is within 6” of him” warning for using the command abilities, but it doesn’t matter where he is since the abilities read can trigger if you are either wholly within 6” of a Hekatos OR if the unit includes a hekatos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Volkhov said:

I keep seeing this “keep the hekatos  in The center so his unit is within 6” of him” warning for using the command abilities, but it doesn’t matter where he is since the abilities read can trigger if you are either wholly within 6” of a Hekatos OR if the unit includes a hekatos.

Im away from book, but my recollection is "has hekatos keyword or fully within 6" of a mortek hekatos or fully within 12" on a bonereaper hero".  Just having a hekatos in the unit wasn't enough.

But again, im away from book, so could be wrong.

Edited by Sception

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Volkhov said:

Both Shieldwall and Deathrider Wedge only require the unit to include a Hekatos 

What about the death save, +3 move ca, and petrifex -1 rend ca?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...