AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

2 minutes ago, Nasnad said:

what are your thoughts on the Mortek Shield Corps battalion. 

caster, 2 x guards(is it really only 2, might be 3 units) to get the extra artifact, RDP and can use a shield wall for free each turn seems okay. But 120 seems a little high.

Nah, it's really good for the points and an ability to cover up all your battleline and support caster needs is perfect

Hello guys!

Had an idea for a fun simple list, which can be summed up as "double Mortek Ballistari":

- 2 Boneshapers
- 4 Mortek Crawlers
- 2*20 Mortek Guards
- 2 Mortek Ballistari battalions
And, outside of the battalions, 5 Deathriders for mobility.

In Petrifex this army would be an immovable anvil. 40 ablative wounds for the Crawlers, with 6 wounds regenerated per turn, and a whole lot of dakka. Both Guards and Crawlers are 3+ save.  It won't win tournament, but it must be fun blasting enemies from across the table. And yes, I'm a Dwarf player at heart.

What do you think? If not competitive, can this be at least playable?

Edit: Even have points for any of the Endless spells. Which one would you recommend?

Edited by Alaric83

10 minutes ago, XReN said:

Nah, it's really good for the points and an ability to cover up all your battleline and support caster needs is perfect

was thinking about it, but you can get another caster for 120, which also gives you a RDP each turn, as long as he lives.

Is it correct that it is only 2 units of guards?

1 minute ago, Nasnad said:

was thinking about it, but you can get another caster for 120, which also gives you a RDP each turn, as long as he lives.

Is it correct that it is only 2 units of guards?

Re-looked at GMG review - it's 3 units

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Alaric83 said:

Hello guys!

Had an idea for a fun simple list, which can be summed up as "double Mortek Ballistari":

- 2 Boneshapers
- 4 Mortek Crawlers
- 2*20 Mortek Guards
- 2 Mortek Ballistari battalions
And, outside of the battalions, 5 Deathriders for mobility.

In Petrifex this army would be an immovable anvil. 40 ablative wounds for the Crawlers, with 6 wounds regenerated per turn, and a whole lot of dakka. Both Guards and Crawlers are 3+ save.  It won't win tournament, but it must be fun blasting enemies from across the table. And yes, I'm a Dwarf player at heart.

What do you think? If not competitive, can this be at least playable?

Edit: Even have points for any of the Endless spells. Which one would you recommend?

You waste 3rd artefact since you only have 2 heroes and you also don't give your crawlers non of the buffs you could give them, Liege Kavalos can give them +1 attack and Soulmason rerolls hit rolls of 1

Indeed you are right XReN. While the Liege Kavalos seems a bit expansive for a defensive army that won't use his mobility, Soulmason seems important.

Made a more balanced list (still defensive artillery focused) with Katakros at the center (for the  +1 save around him):

- 1 Katakros (500)
- 2 Mortek Crawlers (400)
- 1 Boneshaper (130
- 1*20 Mortek Guards (260)
- 1 Mortek Ballistari battalion (100)
- 1 BoneMason (140)
- 2*10 Mortek Guards (260)
- 3 Immortis Guards (200), can be switched for Stalkers or Harvester

Basically the two heroes, 10 Guards and 2 Crawlers are in the center/back of the formation, providing fire support.
Meanwhile Katakros, his 3 Immortis Guards, and the 30 Guards break the enemy in the center.

Sounds like this could work?

Mhm, I struggled hard the past few days to justify buying a few boxes. Most are plainly too expensive for my tastes (that’s a different discussion) and the few I‘d like to get I probably won’t since I do not intend to start off an ossiarch force I wanted to add them continuously to my LoN army - which I can‘t -_- I‘d have to go GA:Death yet I don’t know if that allegiance is any good.

that‘s just another way to prevent sales xD

Edited by JackStreicher

2 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

Ok new attempt, my calculator betrayed me, and warscroll builder has spoiled for for too long ;)

Petrifex Elite

Arkhan: 360
200: Liege Kavalos - general (+2 wounds trait), Helm of the ordained (+1 hit 12" bubble)
130: Boneshaper - forced ignore 1st wound artifact

200 - Immortis guard
200 - Immortis guard
210 - Morghast Archai
360 - 2 x 5Kavalos riders
260 - 20 x Mortek guard

80 - Aegis battalion

Total: 2000. 112 wounds. Generated 5 discipline points per turn + 8xd6 rolls on 6+.

The shaper can handle the endless spell, his own are not that hard to cast, take one of the easier to cast spells.

Arkhan is free to use curse of years and the 2 last spells for damage and debuffing for example, with access to all the spells he will be very flexible. With his morghasts bodyguard and +1 to saves they can also go in as a hammer in combat without risking Arkhan too badly.

The Liege is expensive, but decent hitting power, generated 2 points per turn and has auseful +1 attack command and can get the 12" +1 to hit bubble, which can all make the Kavalos terrifying. Add in the +1 to rend command from petrifex and they will rip through stuff.

The immortis guards can go where needed, they might be a bit too slow to keep up with the riders, but they can also create a front line along with the mortek, which is a very hard to kill combo. Keep Arkhan near enough for his passive 3 wound heals, and this line will be rock solid to break, as each healed wound will have a great value.

This list will push out rend 2 or 3 all day, can cast 4 spells per turn and 4 dispells, with Arkhan having +2, so a tough spell defense, everything with 3+ or 2+ saves. Some ok healing with Arkhan and shaper. On average quite mobile and fast, and access to average 6-7 discipline points per turn, will allow for a nice amount of movement uses, while also having enough for offensive commands. The helm will give a nice chunk of units +1 to hit to end up on 2+, which is why I did not go for the skrieker spell in this list. The mason can hand out reroll 1 to hit, so hitting things should be fairly reliable.

Petrifex Elite

200: Liege Kavalos - general (+2 wounds trait), Helm of the ordained (+1 hit 12" bubble)

200 - Immortis guard

200 - Immortis guar

210 - Morghast Archai

130 - Mortek guard  swords

440 - 40 x Mortek guard spears

40 -  endless spell N.predator

80 - Aegis battalion

1990pts, 116w

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoMaDhOoK said:

No it isn't the exception. The designers note is not about the part about enemy wounds characteristic. But about the fact that if you look at the damage table, the modifier for cursed stele increases with the more wounds the catapult has taken (attacking model refers to the catapult, not the thing you are shooting) 

Holy ****** I can't read thanks for the help!

52 minutes ago, LordPrometheus said:

So is there a decent Nagash list in here somewhere, or is his price hike just too much? He seems stupid good in Petrifex Elite with a 2+ save.

I've been pondering this for a while. It's an interesting one - most of the support heros feel less useful with Nagash present, and the units are very expensive so you don't get much else with the big bone boy.

Here's where I've got to so far..

Petrifex Elite

Nagash - 880
Liege Kavalos - 200
General, +2 wounds,  Ignore 1st wound per phase

20 Mortek guard - 260
10 Mortek guard  - 130
10 Mortek guard - 130

6x Necropolis Stalkers - 400

Liege Kavalos gives you a quick unit that's pretty damn durable (2+ RR 1s, 6++ & ignore first wound) which I think the list is otherwise lacking. Nagash does his thing & casts lots of spells. Mortek guard take objectives and are tough to shift, while the bigger unit is a decent threat, especially with buffs. The necropolis stalkers are a fairly quick and hard hitting threat to use as a counter attack unit, but could also be replaced with the Immortis Guard if you fancy instead.

Edited by FunkyPunk
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, FunkyPunk said:

I've been pondering this for a while. It's an interesting one - most of the support heros feel less useful with Nagash present, and the units are very expensive so you don't get much else with the big bone boy.

Here's where I've got to so far..

Petrifex Elite

Nagash - 880
Liege Kavalos - 200
General, +2 wounds,  Ignore 1st wound per phase

20 Mortek guard - 260
10 Mortek guard  - 130
10 Mortek guard - 130

6x Necropolis Stalkers - 400

Liege Kavalos gives you a quick unit that's pretty damn durable (2+ RR 1s, 6++ & ignore first wound) which I think the list is otherwise lacking. Nagash does his thing & casts lots of spells. Mortek guard take objectives and are tough to shift, while the bigger unit is a decent threat, especially with buffs. The necropolis stalkers are a fairly quick and hard hitting threat to use as a counter attack unit, but could also be replaced with the Immortis Guard if you fancy instead.

I would almost want Immortis Guard just to hang around Nagash and eat any stray wounds that he gets. Then Nagash heals them up every turn. Seems nuts.

6 minutes ago, LordPrometheus said:

I would almost want Immortis Guard just to hang around Nagash and eat any stray wounds that he gets. Then Nagash heals them up every turn. Seems nuts.

I was thinking similarly, but Nagash seems so tanky anyway, and may be teleporting around the battlefield anyway with the spell. But for a slower pace, slow push up the field, you are probably right.

1 hour ago, choocheelo said:

Petrifex Elite

200 - Immortis guard

200 - Immortis guar

210 - Morghast Archai

440 - 40 x Mortek guard spears

40 -  endless spell N.predator

80 - Aegis battalion

1990pts, 116w

You can't do this though, as the first artifact needs to be the petrifex one, ignoring the first wound in each phase, so you need another hero to get the helm of the ordained. With just a lot of mortek guards you will have a lot slower army too. It will be a bit tougher to remove from the table thanks to mortel reroll saves command, but will be less mobile and have less of a hammer with no kavalos. 

An easy fix for the artifact problem is to split the 40 unit into 2x20 and remove 1 unit of 10 and get a boneshaper. The additional magic output, his healing and being able to use the +1 hit helm should easily be worth it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scurvydog said:

You can't do this though, as the first artifact needs to be the petrifex one, ignoring the first wound in each phase, so you need another hero to get the helm of the ordained. With just a lot of mortek guards you will have a lot slower army too. It will be a bit tougher to remove from the table thanks to mortel reroll saves command, but will be less mobile and have less of a hammer with no kavalos. 

An easy fix for the artifact problem is to split the 40 unit into 2x20 and remove 1 unit of 10 and get a boneshaper. The additional magic output, his healing and being able to use the +1 hit helm should easily be worth it.

hmm.. miss that, thx.

7 hours ago, divineauthority said:

Apologies if this has already been discussed, I may have not seen it. Am I missing something that stops you from being able to do this multiple times?

Image may contain: text

I didn't think of that, this seems like it's going to be a horrible oversight. On the other hand, if it's intentional then it definitely encourages larger units of Deathriders. It would definitely make speed lists a lot more viable.

Edited by Grdaat

30 minutes ago, tea_wild_owl said:

the nexus is huge 😮. fortunately,  it is placed before any other terrain, even the normal one. anywhere on the battlefield, 3" from objectives and 6" from battlefield edge

20191029_193732.jpg

Jesus Christ, what an actual nightmare to carry around at tournaments. 

34 minutes ago, tea_wild_owl said:

the nexus is huge 😮. fortunately,  it is placed before any other terrain, even the normal one. anywhere on the battlefield, 3" from objectives and 6" from battlefield edge

How is it to assemble? .. can you take of the statue, or magnetize it, so it is easier to transport?

21 minutes ago, Nasnad said:

How is it to assemble? .. can you take of the statue, or magnetize it, so it is easier to transport?

yes, it is easy to magnetize. I used 5mm magnets for the smaller pillars (there is a hole at the bottom were they fit in perfectly). the big statue stands solid on it's own, no magnets needed (but could be used, it's just empty space through)