General Hobby Chatter!

Overread

15 hours ago, Akylas said:

Hi,

I had a question about shopping at your local store. Does anyone know if a store makes any money if they order something for you?

If my local store is out of stock for something I'll sometimes ask them to order something for me. I've often wondered if this helps them out at all or if I'm just making extra work for them.

Hi @Akylas, yes the store will get stock from their supplier and add their mark-up before selling on to you. It will indeed help out your local store! 😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MarkK said:

Hi @Akylas, yes the store will get stock from their supplier and add their mark-up before selling on to you. It will indeed help out your local store! 😁

Thanks for the info. I wanted to finally buy the angry cabbage/maw krusha and support my local store but I wasn't sure how it worked when they single order items for customers. It's good to know they still get something out of it.

I'm slowly getting back into painting after taking a break over the winter. I always find it hard to paint during that time, because there's so little day light and priming is difficult. Plus, this winter I had nobody to play any games with, which hurts my motivation.

I did manage to grab a copy of Cursed City, though. I just painted up Glaurio ven Alten, pretty much in his official scheme. I am making an effort to get better at painting faces and eyes at the moment, and I think I was pretty successful with this model.

20210429_200829.jpg.4c7ce14968192e161b6de5605f2f2537.jpg

The next thing on my table is a Hurricanum, which has a lot of fiddly bits on it. But I am excited to paint this somewhat excessive model.

• Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 1

23 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I'm slowly getting back into painting after taking a break over the winter. I always find it hard to paint during that time, because there's so little day light and priming is difficult. Plus, this winter I had nobody to play any games with, which hurts my motivation.

I did manage to grab a copy of Cursed City, though. I just painted up Glaurio ven Alten, pretty much in his official scheme. I am making an effort to get better at painting faces and eyes at the moment, and I think I was pretty successful with this model.

20210429_200829.jpg.4c7ce14968192e161b6de5605f2f2537.jpg

The next thing on my table is a Hurricanum, which has a lot of fiddly bits on it. But I am excited to paint this somewhat excessive model.

I really like the red scheme!

Do you use the elves as Freeguild guard/greatswords?

Edited by Grotbag Scuttlers When
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Grotbag Scuttlers When said:

I really like the red scheme!

Do you use the elves as Freeguild guard/greatswords?

Yeah, I use them as Greatsword or Phoenix Guard proxies in casual games. But mostly I use them as guards in DnD or other RPGs. I just happened to have a bunch of old metal high elves in a box in my closet when I came back to the game a few years back.

What I personally like about this fairly simple red and silver/gold scheme is how much it makes the high elves just look like normal dudes. It's also really relaxing to do if I want to just quickly paint a model as a palate cleanser.

• Thanks 1

Sorry for the double post, but I just finished this guy yesterday. He's the battlemage from the Hurricanum box:

20210504_101135(1).jpg.718e77074b4cc1700f905af228a39cf2.jpg

And man, was that a different experience from painting Glaurio ven Alten. This guy was all weird anglesm fiddly details and soft, swooping fabrics that are hard to highlight properly. By contrast, Ven Alten as a modern model really painted himself, with his good variety of different textures and materials.

I also once again realized that I really suck at painting in a traditional layering style. But for some reason, I could not get my usual method of washes and glazes over a value sketch to work with this guy. I think it might have been the blue colour scheme. I find that blue ink comes out shiny and blue paint comes out splotchy when I thin it down to be transparent enough to glaze with. Does anyone have any tips on that?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So spent this evening working on a conversion as a way to use up that spare zombie dragon head from the terrorgheist kit ;) Wip currently but certainly looking like it will make for a cool piece.

It's a zombie dragon being summoned out of a portal.

20210513_224310.jpg

20210513_224343.jpg

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 3

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2021 at 8:25 PM, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I also once again realized that I really suck at painting in a traditional layering style. But for some reason, I could not get my usual method of washes and glazes over a value sketch to work with this guy. I think it might have been the blue colour scheme. I find that blue ink comes out shiny and blue paint comes out splotchy when I thin it down to be transparent enough to glaze with. Does anyone have any tips on that?

I'd consider using Nuln Oil or Drakenhof Nighshade to shade and glaze with washes thinned with Lahmian Medium. I've noticed the gloss often comes when shades pool excessively. Try to wick away any puddles that form in the depths of the folds before you leave it to dry. It is a balancing act though, you want it to accumulate in the recesses somewhat but not too great that it dries funny. If you are using an ink to wash, I found they always come out too glossy and that's why I switched to the Citadel Shade paints.

You can remove glossiness though by applying a thin coat of Lahmian Medium. I've heard that painting on thinned PVA glue removes glossiness too but I've never tried it myself. A matt varnish at the end should also do the trick.

By the way, your wizard looks ace! :)

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2021 at 7:06 AM, Akylas said:

Hi,

I had a question about shopping at your local store. Does anyone know if a store makes any money if they order something for you?

If my local store is out of stock for something I'll sometimes ask them to order something for me. I've often wondered if this helps them out at all or if I'm just making extra work for them.

As far as I know, only if you order it from their computer at the store.

45 minutes ago, Bayul said:

I want to paint Tau-inspired Ironjawz with white armor, blue skin and orange details and I'm slightly appalled at myself.

That sounds pretty fun, actually. Especially if you proxy them as Tau units. "This guy just showed up some day convinced that he's a Crisis Suit. And I definitely won't be the one to tell him he's not."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Christopher Rowe said:

Can someone point to me a list of AoS battle tomes, rule books, and campaign books listed in order or publication (preferably with the date given) since the launch of 1.0, up through and including the latest books of those types?

This is the best list I am aware of, though last I checked I don't think it was complete with all of the campaign books etc. I wanted to see how many battle boxes there had been, and whether I could pick up the scenarios second hand, but wasn't certain that they were all covered. If anyone knows of a better source I would also like to know.

https://ageofsigmar.lexicanum.com/wiki/List_of_Warhammer:_Age_of_Sigmar_books#Age_of_Sigmar

12 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

That sounds pretty fun, actually. Especially if you proxy them as Tau units. "This guy just showed up some day convinced that he's a Crisis Suit. And I definitely won't be the one to tell him he's not."

"For the last time, apprentice Face'choppa: We don't shout For da greater Gork!"

• Haha 3

• 1 year later...

Happy Halloween Everyone! Made a sketch for the AoS sub to celebrate as well.

image.jpeg.62d3fd135940b52f9ec5361e9f696128.jpeg

Here’s my art link, in the description is a PDF to this month’s white dwarf zombie swarm scenario:

https://www.deviantart.com/baron-klatz/art/Happy-Halloween-to-the-AoS-reddit-935088180#comments

As usual their diorama game for capturing the Realm of Death is out of this world.

IMG_0720.png
IMG_0721.png

IMG_0722.png

Lastly to sail into the spooky holiday here’s a bunch of Boathaunt I’ve seen.

h3c1hfeyq4x91.jpg?width=2043&format=pjpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering how much information u give your opponent in a game of AoS. I tend to go over all my units quickly and explain some special or army wide rules. How do u all go about this? Do u give a quick overview or an in depth explanation? What is expected as good sportsmanship? 

I am asking because i had a game where it took almost an hour explaining everything in depth and i felt like i was wasting precious time but didnt want to be rude so i just listened/explained. 

@Gitzdee, depends I think. Casual game with a new player, I’d take quite a bit of time explaining what I have, how it works and even give them some tips on what tactics they should watch out for. For a more experienced player, much less. You must of course play with an open army list, your opponent is allowed to read your list and any options you have taken.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

I am wondering how much information u give your opponent in a game of AoS. I tend to go over all my units quickly and explain some special or army wide rules. How do u all go about this? Do u give a quick overview or an in depth explanation? What is expected as good sportsmanship? 

I am asking because i had a game where it took almost an hour explaining everything in depth and i felt like i was wasting precious time but didnt want to be rude so i just listened/explained. 

I printed all warscrolls and showed the Regiment batallion and Freeguild faction stuff in one of my few games. Didn't stop that player from marching his Keepers straight into a lot of overwatch fire and complaining.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

A quick overview of units' roles in the army (i.e. these guys are rather slow but tough and hard-hitting, while these over here are elite shooters)I also specifically explain special rules regarding movement & teleports and weird rules (Wurrgog Prophet...). All in all, I think this should take approx. 5-10 minutes at most.

• Like 2

Here is a fun thing I have been working on recently. I already posted this in a few other places. I have always liked this concept art sketch of Gogo from Final Fantasy 6 a lot and decided to paint up Cleona from Cursed City following it as a guide:

Ff6_gogo.jpg.8fb16a73945d394b6f4acdce36707eea.jpg

982457997_20221011_1009113.jpg.a35b0c73220cd42e56a2d19ae24e481c.jpg

744027180_20221011_1009283.jpg.6c7c576b9acfbd09883a8bef6d1f8db2.jpg

Painting from a reference picture and putting in so many patterns was definitely very different from my normal painting experience.

Painting Cleona, who usually has a very muted, dignified colour scheme, in such a vibrant and maximalist style definitely changes the mood of the miniature a lot.

Cleona-Zeitengale.jpg.ac1baf865498bbdce8fc500581bf71e4.jpg

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 2