Most Straightforward Faction to choose

Garth1

Hi, the title says it all really. The Maggotkin army I have hasn’t been doing it for me and i thought it might be down to how I want to play. Ideally, run/fly/teleport/charge across the board and fight. Based on this what do you think would be the faction that could do this the best/well? Thanks

Edited by Garth1

There's quite a few armies that are close combat focused to almost totally close combat in AoS. You've got Khorne, Slaanesh, Flesh Eaters and a few others who have basically very limited to no ranged options to consider (outside of spells of course). 

Nurgle is pretty close combat based as well.

Now stormcast are one of the tough armour factions and they can certainly run and fly and teleport all around with their units to smash the enemy, though they'll benefit from some ranged support. The key is that they tend to be fewer in number, but heavily armoured which might suit your playstyle a bit more.

That said if you're having issues with a close combat army already then it might be your tactical approach and army build which are faltering rather than the army; which means if you take your same tactics and approach to a new army you might get similar issues there. Lets hear about some battles, details and such where you're failing and have a look at your army lists. Perhaps a new unit or two coupled to some different approaches to play style and you could be getting those wins from your Nurgle; plus what you learn from it will easily help you with another force. 

Maggotkin are already a "get across the board and fight army".  They have lots of close combat, some fast, some slow, and the resilience to make sure they get there.  

What issues are you having with them as an army that makes you want to mix it up?

46 minutes ago, Garth1 said:

Thanks for your comments, I’ve been running the Thricefold and Plaguebearers but they don’t really kill anything. As you said it might be my lack of experience or models??

This might be part of your issue.  Running the thrice-fold puts over 1100 points into 3 models.  These can be blocked and distracted, plus both GUOs and Plaguebearers are pretty slow with low numbers of attacks for what they are.  They are great of outlasting your opponents, but you're going to need more oomph from the mortal followers and other units to really put the hurt to your enemy.  

Your issue may well lie in army composition rather than army selection.

I'd like to make the case for Seraphon here. You can build an army of dinocavalry that performs possibly the best in the movement/teleportation department - allowing you to teleport a unit once per turn anywhere on the board 9" from an enemy. This combined with high overall movement means you can run these dinos up the board fast, cap objectives, or teleport a Carnosaur right into an opponent's vulnerable flank.

5 hours ago, Garth1 said:

Thanks, looking at the models stats and rules in the Battletome, are Plague Drones going to give me what I need? Faster and hittier?

I think you should ask for help on the Chos forum. People there certainly can you figure this stuff out!

15 hours ago, Garth1 said:

Thanks, looking at the models stats and rules in the Battletome, are Plague Drones going to give me what I need? Faster and hittier?

If you like daemons and already have GUOS, Plague Drones can be pushed to a pretty high ammount of attacks.

I would also concider Rotbringers in your position:
With the Blight Cyst you get a Battalion that gives the tons of rolls from the Blightklings also a nice rend of -1, which makes them a pretty decent lawnmower. Also you gain better shooting, allowing you to pick out enemies heroes.

16 hours ago, Ironbreaker said:

Ironjaws, no tactics needed beyond running at the enemy and wracking them with an ax. So easy an Orruk can play them.

The man is not lying. I literally pile killy stuff into stuff that needs to be killed, faster killy stuff into stuff that needs to be bashed a bit more urgently, and then the less killy and more bashy stuff sits on objectives but still bashes and and very much kills stuff.

Simple, see?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/12/2019 at 12:37 PM, Ironbreaker said:

Ironjaws, no tactics needed beyond running at the enemy and wracking them with an ax. So easy an Orruk can play them.

This is very incorrect.  Ironjawz are easy to pick up but very difficult to master and play well.  There is a ton of setting up you most do with wholly within 12 etc.  They are also only close combat and thus you have to make up for how one dimensional they are  with strategy.  Really fun army but you will struggle mightily if you just push everything forward and don't think about overlapping buffs and future turns.  

• Like 1