The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, prochuvi said:

i dont think takes one year to do a battletome.

I think they did answer that question(or maybe it was about 40k codexes, but could still be in the same ballpark) and it seems like it was a matter of months total, with teams working in staggered parts. Can't remember where that was from, of if my brain is just making it up though.

From what I understand,  while it doesn't take a year to write a book, they do work about a year ahead of time. I think the books go to print a few months ahead of time. I do know the core aos book was printed in January of last year. 

They also have to think about release slots so something can be finished but not see the light of day until a good release time appears. 

Regarding the lacklustre sales of the Idoneth it is easy to see why they didn't do so well. I personally love the aesthetic but they were either not Aelvish or not fishy enough for some people. They are pretty difficult to paint and pretty difficult to play. 

On top of that they came out soon after Dok which was a Smash hit. A lot of Aelf fans invested heavily in them. 

Finally, just as they were coming out rumours started swirling about aos 2. 

I had every intention of doing a Deepkin army but ended up buying soul wars instead. I'm sure a lot of other people did the same. 

Fyreslayers lack variety, are difficult to paint  (too much skin) and are still one of the most expensive armies to collect despite the start collecting box. 

I think Deepkin along with Ko are the most ambitious armies the have ever done creatively. I hope the sales don't put them off doing more like that in the future. 

In one of the AoS podcasts on the Warhammer Community YouTube they said that the designers build the models then the writers make the rules and battletomes after.

So if the rumor is to be believed they have started work on a battletome, that means that our theoretical goat cavalry, anvil of doom, and big golems are already finished. 

• LOVE IT! 2

8 hours ago, bsharitt said:

I think that's part of the issue that puts them into a weird spot. Not elfy enough for the elf fans, but not fishy enough for the that want something totally new. I think IdK might be a bit more popular if they weren't elves at all, or at least went the Syvaneth route where the evlishness was so far gone that they're now just fish people like sylvaneth are just tree people.

I have mentioned it before, but for me the army book really laid out the general design of the force and it was not what I expected or wanted.  I like the sea creatures mainly, but the army was designed as a creature/infantry hybrid.  The infantry (namarti) interests me very little.  The models look fine (for elves...), but I want an army comprised mostly of all the creatures.  There are other armies in the game that interest me a lot more when it comes to infantry.

But when you dig through the synergies in the book it becomes obvious that a lot of the synergy is designed for Namarti.  The Akhelian model synergies are a lot less and that did not interest me much.  When I looked at the army that I would most likely pick up it did not strike me as being very much different from an Ironjawz army full of Gore Gruntas & Maw Crushers.  It would play fairly similar, maybe a bit more finesse, but not different enough to warrant purchasing.

I have no issues with the army as a whole - I just realized that it is not really for me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gecktron said:

https://www.gw-fanworld.net/showthread.php/212145-Diskussion-Div-Gerüchte-für-GW-allgemein?p=3902845&viewfull=1#post3902845

A link to the german GW-Fanworld forum. The transcript starts there and goes on for a few posts.

Some of the more interesting bits (obviously take with huge amounts of salt):

TL;DR: Some factions sold way better than expected (Beastclawriders, Kharadrons, Dispossessed, Devoted of Sigmar) Some worse (Fyreslayers and ,surprisingly, Idoneth Deepkin)

Every large poll I have ever seen (as well as other evidence like popularity of TGA threads, FB groups, etc.) has Fyreslayers massively under-represented for a new army, and Idoneth somewhat under-represented for a new army.

In addition, KO, BCR and Dispossessed popularity (taking into account that the latter two are old lines, with lower expectations) all match my observations. Strangely, all three are currently noted as a bad and/or uncompetitive gameplay experience - although BCR were obviously hot in the GHB1 era.

In terms of those mentioned, the weird one for me is Devoted of Sigmar. Say, what...?

Edited by Kyriakin

2 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

Every large poll I have ever seen (as well as other evidence like popularity of TGA threads, FB groups, etc.) has Fyreslayers massively under-represented for a new army, and Idoneth somewhat under-represented for a new army.

In addition, KO, BCR and Dispossessed popularity (taking into account that the latter two are old lines, with lower expectations) all match my observations. Strangely, all three are currently noted as a bad and/or uncompetitive gameplay experience - although BCR were obviously hot in the GHB1 era.

In terms of those mentioned, the weird one for me is Devoted of Sigmar. Say, what...?

well BCR are noted to be one of the cheapest army to build and appease people that want the convivence of a lower count armies, plus they are good at stomping people in casual game environment

not sure about Devoted of Sigmar, could be people bought a lot of the War altar kit because it looks cool and it Volkmar.

54 minutes ago, novakai said:

well BCR are noted to be one of the cheapest army to build and appease people that want the convivence of a lower count armies, plus they are good at stomping people in casual game environment

not sure about Devoted of Sigmar, could be people bought a lot of the War altar kit because it looks cool and it Volkmar.

BCR are also quite drybrush-friendly, as there is so much fur in the army.

It's been said upthread, but it's worth reiterating - even if we accept this sales rumour as true, it doesn't say 'these factions sell well, these sell badly'. It says some factions are selling above expectations, and some are selling below expectations. We have no clue what those expectations are, which makes a lot of this speculation very spurious.

If the Devoted Of Sigmar were expected to barely cover the costs of giving them space in the warehouse, then 'beating expectations' means something very different to what it likely meant for Idoneth Deepkin. Again, assuming this 'leak' is even true, which doesn't seem super likely. 

Bit disturbing to see a distorted version of already dodgy info starting to pass into the realm of accepted fact in this thread... let's just reel it back a bit, guys. 

• Thanks 7

18 hours ago, relic456 said:

This comment instantly made me think of this one:

AOSFFIdoneth-June8-Art4eg.jpg

The Soulrender atop a mound of Skaven corpses with their souls being pulled in to this lantern is so sick!

Those souls are probably the reason Namarti have such low bravery 😏

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, novakai said:

well the Flagellants are sold out in the US store, so someone out there is buying them.

Again, it's not something we can draw meaningful conclusions from. How significant 'selling out' of a product is is relative to how much of it you were keeping in stock in the first place. How many boxes did they actually have at the start of last year? 10? 10,000? We have no idea. 

Why were they bought? Are people hungry for a religious fanatic faction in AOS, or was it just 40k players looking for parts for conversions? We have no idea.

Looking at Blanchitsu articles and photos on the internet - Devoted are probably mostly buyed for conversions. Their AoS rules are lacklustre and they even don't harmonize with each other (flagellants can deal damage when they lose battleshock, but war altar make them immune to battleshock).

5 minutes ago, michu said:

Looking at Blanchitsu articles and photos on the internet - Devoted are probably mostly buyed for conversions. 

This seems like the answer to me, too - I follow loads of mini painters on Instagram, and I'm not sure I've ever actually seen a painted unit of Flagellants ready for AOS, but I've seen loads of 40k conversions using their heads. 

26 minutes ago, michu said:

Looking at Blanchitsu articles and photos on the internet - Devoted are probably mostly buyed for conversions. Their AoS rules are lacklustre and they even don't harmonize with each other (flagellants can deal damage when they lose battleshock, but war altar make them immune to battleshock).

Yeah I think the Devoted selling "better than expected" gives away how hard this information is to understand absent context.  They have what two kits? 

I have a hard time believing the Idoneth rumor (not only because I bought a loooooot of Thralls and eels).  They had a number of models on the GW bestseller list (the one on the webstore) for many months, and I have seen them across the country at events quite a bit.  Maybe that is all anecdotal, but it makes the rumor hard to really believe too much.

• Like 2

'Rumour' from some comments on facebook. Someone is claiming that this comes directly from staffers at the last open day on grots. I don't put any stock in this at all, but have at it:

" Goblins are being redone, as are wolf riders. Combining the remaining orcs and goblins into a new faction. Gonna be a shadespire team for them next season."
" some conversations I had at the last open day surrounding the current normal goblins/grots being missing from gloomspite. "

I find it hard to believe due to the fact that this is the first time this has popped up in conversation, and the open day was weeks ago. This would have been huge news over all the grot pages if people had been told this and also that they have removed everything from the webstore (greenskings, wolf riders etc) so early. You'd have thought they would have kept a range (even one of the oldest they still sold!) on sale right up to the last minute, as they did with almost all the other ranges. They wouldn't clear out models that they intended to keep in the game a year before we start seeing even hints at new models.

Personally, I think if we are to see a new grot battletome other than gloomspite, it will be for a new grot range. Even something like the grotbag scuttlers. The only way we will see a generic 'greenskin and friends' battletome in the future is if the skaven one is a mass battletome of everything. But I'd still have a hard time believing that we will see new grots when they have such strong lore and models for gloomspite.

As a grot fanatic,  I'm all for more flavours of goblins, but I think gloomspite is what we have for the foreseeable future.

5 minutes ago, RexHavoc said:

'Rumour' from some comments on facebook. Someone is claiming that this comes directly from staffers at the last open day on grots. I don't put any stock in this at all, but have at it:

" Goblins are being redone, as are wolf riders. Combining the remaining orcs and goblins into a new faction. Gonna be a shadespire team for them next season."
" some conversations I had at the last open day surrounding the current normal goblins/grots being missing from gloomspite. "

Yeah this seems like total nonsense. Has the air of 'my uncle works at Nintendo and he told me...' about it. I almost challenged it on the Facebook post, as I think it's pretty cruel to be giving people false hope, but life's too short for social media fights :P 

Edited by robinlvalentine
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, robinlvalentine said:

Yeah this seems like total nonsense. Has the air of 'my uncle works at Nintendo and he told me...' about it. I almost challenged it on the Facebook post, as I think it's pretty cruel to be giving people false hope, but life's too short for social media fights :P 

No its not 🤬🤕

• Like 2

Now this thread starts to feel like a bar! Nobody stays on topic, 10 conversations at the same time and people fighting over nothing 😂  cheers fellas! 🍻

We're just missing that guy with one eye and a missing leg in the corner that conspiratorially whispers: 'I once heard that...' ;) 

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, robinlvalentine said:

Well it could be.

but in the same time, it could also be true.

think about it.

in the Gloomspite Gitz book, you can literally find fluff about the existence of the gitmob grots.

Also if you look at Greenskinz and The gitmob range, most to all of this models seem to have aged very bad.

the only model who looks somewhat good is the greenskinz boss who is riding that big Lindwyrm and is made out of finecast.

So a total reboot is definitely a possibility.

this really is just a guess, and I do not know anything about any kind of releases or reboots happening right now, just guessing what possibilities and how likely they could be.