The Rumour Thread

38 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

I'm just as excited to see Vampire Warband as everyone else but I think I'm more excited for the 1st of April for the Orruk, Gitz, Silent Ones(?!) Warband reveal!!

Here I'm a bit biased because I love them, but I really hope it is Spiderfang. Since AOS launched, there hasn't been a single new spider sculpt, and it would be awesome to see what they do with the current quality of the models. 

• Like 5

If anyone is interested, I found a UK seller who has a licence for the Lost Kingdoms range. They will be adding more stuff to their store as they print it but if you contact them they will print what you want. 

Really friendly and helpful and I've some bull centaurs on their way to me! 

Check them out

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/939760455/bulthaurs-set-of-3-by-lost-kingdom

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drcrater said:

Here I'm a bit biased because I love them, but I really hope it is Spiderfang. Since AOS launched, there hasn't been a single new spider sculpt, and it would be awesome to see what they do with the current quality of the models. 

Oh if it's not Silent Ones I really hope its Spiderfang!! I'd love to see another mounted Gitz Warband or perhaps 4 on foot Grotz with a medium 'Mollog' sized Spider. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, drcrater said:

The symbol/icon warband look likes a spider skull so it is likely to be spiderfang.

It could be a trio warband as for wolf riders rippa's snarlfangs. 

• Like 2

Lots of cool stuff coming out this week but nothing for the mortal realms or for me. If I can ever convince my partner that our house needs some plague ridden demons I will get those 40k terrain pieces to add some variety to the feculent gnarlmaws. She is supportive of my hobby but she despises both Nurgle and Skaven. Seeing those Old Rinwraiths take me back and I never owned Glorfindel despite loving the character. 

I'm going to guess that the 2 week schedule is going ahead and we will see the Chaos Warband previewed on the 24th for release on the 31st. 

This was a big week for 40K so perhaps theyll do one week AOS and all related boxed games, one week nothing, one week 40K and all related boxed games.

I have no interest in warbands. I'd be really excited to actually see a new AoS armies though :)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Rumour Engines won't mainly be for ancilliary games this year (though I'm happy for all the WarCry/Underworlds fans who have been getting lots of good stuff in the past 18 months+!)

On 1/8/2021 at 11:14 PM, Sleboda said:

They would have to retcon a bit though (which they can do, of course, but I'd prefer they didn't).

At the moment, Nagash has 100% unbreakable authority over, and control of, all undead, even vampires (including powerful ones like the Mortarchs). The new vampires would have no ability to betray him, and thus there would be no need to have minders, so to speak.

Now, if he wanted to test loyalty but still have control/failsafes, I suppose he could keep his order of vampire vampire-hunters secret, tell certain vampires that they have proven their loyalty and earned free will. Then, he has his secret hunters (who are still 100% enthralled) watch over the free vampire. If he continues to be loyal, then that sort of innovation that comes from free will can be used as an asset. If he gets ideas, well, here comes the hunter.

Yeah I figure it would be something more along these lines especially after Mannfred constantly scheming and Vordhrai outright betraying nagash. Not all vampires have the power of a mortarch or blood saint that can be used as leverage to keep them around so a secret order to manage the vampires ambitions, possibly even led by neferata who loves the intrigue, would make for a useful asset. This would also come in handy near the tail end of nagash's plans as while I doubt the lore would ever let him win enough to make it happen, he seems like he's planned far ahead enough to realize that his end goal has no room for vampires that require living beings as food. And the vampires themselves are intelligent enough to eventually put 2 and 2 together if they ever learn the full extent of his plans or begin to find there isn't enough blood left to go around.

4 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

I'm going to guess that the 2 week schedule is going ahead and we will see the Chaos Warband previewed on the 24th for release on the 31st. 

This was a big week for 40K so perhaps theyll do one week AOS and all related boxed games, one week nothing, one week 40K and all related boxed games.

Seems quite possible to me. My fear is that the various delays that led to them pushing back the various 40k codices will see other releases (like  Khagra's Ravagers) pushed back. But I hope not--Khagra's warband look super cool.

15 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

I'm just as excited to see Vampire Warband as everyone else but I think I'm more excited for the 1st of April for the Orruk, Gitz, Silent Ones(?!) Warband reveal!!

its actually a gargant but he has to go around on his knees like an adult play-wrestling a child

Edited by TheMuphinMan
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

5 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I'm not familiar with him. Is he undead? If so, how can he rebel when Nagash has absolute control over all undead?

He doesn't have absolute control. He still rules through fear since he's all powerful. Undying King has good examples of it. 

Sometimes though he seems to let people disobey. Partly because his mind has faded so much.

57 minutes ago, Sunchaser said:

He doesn't have absolute control. He still rules through fear since he's all powerful. Undying King has good examples of it. 

Sometimes though he seems to let people disobey. Partly because his mind has faded so much.

I thought it was very clever now he was portrayed in Undying King. To use a real-world analogy, he almost came across as senile. His consciousness seemed to have become so fractured as a) a result of his defeat at Archaon’s hands and b) actually having become fractured across all the untold billions of dead things in his Realm that he seemed to be losing himself. (In being ‘All’, I got the impression that he is sliding dangerously close to being ‘Nothing’, if that makes sense, edging towards becoming Death itself at the risk of himself.)

He frequently seemed scattered or stretched thin across his undead minions, like an impossibly powerful thing dispersed to the wind, and when he does recall who he is, it read to me almost like he was remembering parts of himself, or moments in time, but not the sum whole. As a result, he often came across as confused and distracted. Imagine someone who has forgotten they have just introduced themselves going through the motions again, and again, except they’re a megalomaniac, near omnipotent Lord of Death... 

I liked it because as has been called out in this thread a few times, it worked to ‘rein him in’, in this instance enough that the events of the book could unfold without him just turning around on page two and eliminating everything. I also thought it made an interesting parallel between him and his Mortarchs. Nagash is All but like his servants (or all Undead things I suppose) he is also a shadow of himself, an echo. Not in power level but in terms of the person inside. It also really shone a light on why the Mortarchs were needed. Centuries might pass in which Nagash is non-corporeal, a fell spirit, disembodied, passing like a whisper or a tickle through the innumerable dead as he scours the realm. His Mortarchs are essential for maintaining order in that time, and in some cases (as is seen in the book) for ‘focusing’ Nagash when he is needed most and helping to remind him who he is. (To go back to my senility analogy, at times, I felt Arkhan could almost have been his ‘carer’.) 

I felt this representation of him was really nuanced and opened up lots of doors for Death, particularly as (to my mind, at least) it did give an element of fragility to the hierarchy of Death. Nagash is All and that’s undisputed but it’s also sort of his undoing because he came across as losing himself along the way, leaving open some tantalising opportunities (and large gaps in time) for other fragments of Death with self-awareness (however artificial or imagined!) like the vampires to play their cards and make their moves and do their thing. 

This turned into a bit of an essay — apologies!

Edited by The Brotherhood of Necros
Typos
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 10
  • LOVE IT! 7

12 minutes ago, The Brotherhood of Necros said:

I thought it was very clever now he was portrayed in Undying King. To use a real-world analogy, he almost came across as senile. His consciousness seemed to have become so fractured as a) a result of his defeat at Archaon’s hands and b) actually having become fractured across all the untold billions of dead things in his Realm that he seemed to be losing himself. (In being ‘All’, I got the impression that he is sliding dangerously close to being ‘Nothing’, if that makes sense, edging towards becoming Death itself at the risk of himself.)

He frequently seemed scattered or stretched thin across his undead minions, like an impossibly powerful thing dispersed to the wind, and when he does recall who he is, it read to me almost like he was remembering parts of himself, or moments in time, but not the sum whole. As a result, he often came across as confused and distracted. Imagine someone who has forgotten they have just introduced themselves and goes through the motions again, and again, except they’re a megalomaniac, near omnipotent Lord of Death... 

I liked it because as has been called out in this thread a few times, it worked to ‘rein him in’, in this instance enough that the events of the book could unfold with him just turning around on page two and eliminating everything. I also thought it made an interested parallel between him and his Mortarchs. Nagash is All but like his servants (or all Undead things I suppose) he is also a shadow of himself, an echo. Not in power level but in terms of the person inside. It also really shone a light on why the Mortarchs were needed. Centuries might pass in which Nagash is non-corporeal, a fell spirit, disembodied, passing like a whisper or a tickle through the innumerable dead as he scours the realm. His Mortarchs are essential for maintaining order in that time, and in some cases (as is seen in the book) for ‘focusing’ Nagash when he is needed most and helping to remind him who he is. (To go back to my senility analogy, at times, I felt Arkhan could almost have been his ‘carer’.) 

I felt this representation of him was really nuanced and opened up lots of doors for Death, particularly as (to my mind, at least) it did give an element of fragility to the hierarchy of Death. Nagash is All and that’s undisputed but it’s also sort of his undoing because he came across as losing himself along the way, leaving open some tantalising opportunities (and large gaps in time) for other fragments of Death with self-awareness (however artificial or imagined!) like the vampires to play their cards and make their moves and do their thing. 

This turned into a bit of an essay — apologies!

That was beautifully explained for someone like me who hasn't dug into the AoS books and now we just need to see that more on the table as a whole. At the very least it'd let the armies and Mortarchs feel more important than they currently do.

It also allows different undead to have individuality within the stories. Which is important for the lore and also for players to have a sense of freedom to choose their own stories for their own armies. Characters can have individual needs and desires beyond purely serving Nagash. even Ossiarchs are able to be individual. 

• Like 2

Exactly. I like the "quarrel of gods" aspect of the setting, but inside of that it just feels like the setting doesn't really let some factions (namely the death ones) really explore the servants of the gods and their own schemes in a meaningful manner.

Then again I also feel like Death just needs more in general than Shyish to work with. It's a good foundation, but I want to know how the realms change and shape the death armies since they so often rely on the inhabitants of the realms to create their forces.

Like what does a Death army from the Realm of Life look like? How about the Realm of Metal?

I admit some biases of my own as I say this since I've started work on a Nighthaunt army (who is a faction that strangely lacks any sort of sub-faction rules) so it's a bit more front and center in my brain on how this can spin out further.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheMuphinMan said:

its actually a gargant but he has to go around on his knees like an adult play-wrestling a child

Dont tempt me mate that would be amazing!! Though I would actually love of we did get an updated Mancrusher model. I love the current model but against the Mega Gargant? Phew imagine what a new one could be!!

14 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I'm not familiar with him. Is he undead? If so, how can he rebel when Nagash has absolute control over all undead?

Nagash's mind is kinda stretched thin as some have said undying king has good examples. The stress of a once mortal mind now trying to exert influence over all that's touched by the winds of shyish is showing. Dude basically has multiple personality disorder at this point and comes across as senile when he's trying to focus on too many things at once . His control over the greater undead of his empire is likewise scattered. He can directly influence mortarchs and vampires but only if he actively focuses on doing so, he can't passively keep them loyal like undead of lesser intelligence or bonereapers who are built to be loyal. Which is also why he doesn't share his plans with others aside from Arkhan, the other mortarchs and high ranking vampires only know what they need to know. Vampires specifically are still scheming, vain and ambitious so Mortarchs like Mannfred and Neferata are a double edged sword to have around because they're too useful to get rid of or dominate, but too dangerous to fully trust so he's constantly got to keep them on a tight leash and remind them of how strong he is. Vordrhai is a blood dragon vampire who was given charge over one of Nagash's fortresses, specifically the crimson keep which is a teleporting vampire stronghold and sort of religious site for blood knights. The other members of his bloodline kinda revere him as a "saint of blood" and he's kinda the top dog of the blood knights while Abhorash is away. 

Anyways after Archaon sieged Shyish and nearly killed Nagash, Vordhrai tried to finish the job while his boss was too weak to assume direct control. He failed and as punishment he's confined to the crimson keep, only let out when Nagash teleports the keep to a battlefield where he needs everything excessively dead. Even gave the dude the title of "Fist of Nagash". The castellans of the crimson keep battalion is actually supposed to represent this as it allows Vordhrai and 3 units of blood knights to deploy off a table edge and reroll hits while within 12" of that same edge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

so I was reading the production update on Soulbound and something has clicked. 

They've made a production update for 2021, and for the AoS Soulbound line there is this listed:

image.png.a34339eb50154e8ba07a23a340c3124d.png

They recently tied the release of one of the adventures in  Shadows of the Mist campaign book with the release of Broken Realms:Morathi, since it was set in Anvilgard. 

soo... I'm starting to believe this could be another hint to a Soulblight/Legions of Nagash army release... or not, since there is also scheduled a Champions of Destruction book... 

• Like 6