3 Jezzails

1-2 Rat ogres with Packmaster

1 Warlock engineer (sniper varient)

1 Rattling cannoade

1 Clawlord on Giant Rat

some Terrain, Cardboard mat & dice

this along with some more heroes and units like Stormvermin & Executioner

that pretty hefty box

Add the cover dude to the SCE side as Warhound leaked it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

If Fatshark works on it now odds are it’ll be ready for next edition’s new Death menace.

So probably end up AoS:Gravetide if they go all in on undead but if it’s just Souls in general like the heroes being Soulbound then AoS:Soultide would work.

IF the next edition is about death.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

IF the next edition is about death.

I’d put good money on it.

Fits the starter enemy pattern.

Great time to reintroduce the Sacrosanct with a TS Arcanum refresh as they battle Death again

Matches up with that Broken Realms plot point that Malerion’s agents in Shyish found a soul to bargain with the light gods so good time to have Death in the background as Malerion & Tyrion emerge(and maybe new form Arkhan gets a re-rematch with Light of Eltharion)

and if Destruction gets 5 factions this edition either with Kruleboyz/Gitmob or Beasts of Destruction then starting AoS5 with 5 Death factions balanced that out(as they’re 4 & 4 now)

Obviously could be wrong but seems like a lot of factors favor it.

Edited by Baron Klatz

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

I’d put good money on it.

Fits the starter enemy pattern.

Great time to reintroduce the Sacrosanct with a TS Arcanum refresh as they battle Death again

Matches up with that Broken Realms plot point that Malerion’s agents in Shyish found a soul to bargain with the light gods so good time to have Death in the background as Malerion & Tyrion emerge(and maybe new form Arkhan gets a re-rematch with Light of Eltharion)

and if Destruction gets 5 factions this edition either with Kruleboyz/Gitmob or Beasts of Destruction then starting AoS5 with 5 Death factions balanced that out(as they’re 4 & 4 now)

Obviously could be wrong but seems like a lot of factors favor it.

I mean, there are two pattern theories.

1. The classic one:

1st Chaos
2nd Death
3rd Destro
4th Chaos
5th Death

2. The all grand alliances one:

1st Order
2nd Death
3rd Destro
4th Chaos
5th Order

I am inclined to think we always misunderstood the pattern and it is the second option, especially if Malerion comes in the 5th edition launch box. Another factor for this is that Whiteang said Death will be a key element in the narrative, so IMO it would be too much death focus over six years.

Edited by Ejecutor

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Tonhel said:

I wouldn't mind a RPG done by Larian Studios like they did with Divinity: Original Sin II or Baldurs Gate III 😄 . Be it for Warhammer or AoS, but if I had to chose. I would love to see it for Warhammer. 🙂

That would be awesome. Warhammer Fantasy already has an inifnite number of books, games and it's an IP well recieved by everyone, but that's exactly why I think that a RPG about AoS would be better. Make this IP stronger with an easy entry level for new players, and videogames is one of the best ways to accomplish that.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I mean, there are two pattern theories.

1. The classic one:

1st Chaos
2nd Death
3rd Destro
4th Chaos
5th Death

2. The all grand alliances one:

1st Order
2nd Death
3rd Destro
4th Chaos
5th Order

I am inclined to think we always misunderstood the pattern and it is the second option, especially if Malerion comes in the 5th edition launch box. Another factor for this is that Whiteang said Death will be a key element in the narrative, so IMO it would be too much death focus over six years.

Malerion faction is not gonna happen in a starting box. He is too big and important to be there. You want to use him to revigorize an edition. That's the reason I say that Ogors will happen before Chaos Dwarfs

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Pizzaprez said:

Ever since 1.0, I've thirsted for an Age of Sigmar take on the Space Marine game.

easiest way to make Stormcast compelling for a game like that is to make "reforges" a mechanic, where all of your deaths are canon and there are long-term consequences to them.  maybe as you die more and more, you're forced to take perks with great upsides but even more dramatic downsides.  you may deal monstrous melee damage and generally blend enemies, but you also enter fits of blind rage and crack like an egg.  you might be able to cast massive spells, but you lose control as you cast them potentially harming friend and foe.  you gain health whenever you damage or kill an enemy, but slowly lose it otherwise (potentially even forcing you to harm allies just to survive!).  once you get enough deaths you might even unlock suicidal abilities like the airstriking-your-own-location tactic used by Celestent Prime, damning you to an even quicker downfall despite gaining an excellent finisher.

it can effect more then just combat too.  in dialogue you might find yourself saying things you didn't pick (generally being more callous and cruel), and you'd slowly lose your memory which could mean you'd lose track of which NPC is which, or even find yourself doing entirely incorrect objectives because your mind is so scrambled.  this of course could have story implications as well.  you could be unable to do certain actions such as utilize basic machinery, and take on more of a doom-guy "punch the stuff till it works" approach (with good and bad results).  your ending would be at partially determined by how much of you there is left by the end of it, meaning that those who want the "good" ending would have to play with care to avoid a miserable fate.

add in a variety of weapons, a compelling faction to fight, and that's a pretty good primer for the setting as a whole.

edit: i also think that this would naturally lend itself to a very "personal" story; as big and fantastical as the realms are i really like the stories that tell you a lot about the people within it.  going through the world as a lone stormcast and seeing the torment and dehumanization they go through on a personal level would only make the horror of it happening a billion-fold even stronger.  it's something GW also seems to be focusing on more with the new line coming out, which i think is an excellent move since IMO it's basically their selling point.

Edited by bethebee
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, bethebee said:

your ending would be at partially determined by how much of you there is left by the end of it, meaning that those who want the "good" ending would have to play with care to avoid a miserable fate.

The SCE AoS3 battletome has a good solution for that. In the PtG section when you liberate and repair Shrines to Grungni your heroes & units can skip reforge flaws when resurrecting as Grungni himself will reforge them in thanks avoiding the flaws.

So it’d be like Dark Souls 2’s difficulty where you can choose to either repair his shrines and resurrect full and healthy with minimal flaws(and possibly a questionable story ending of taking too much time letting the villain enact his plan) or go full tilt and skip most the Grungni shrines which will permanently lower your health & lose experience

BUT you could get benefits such as more lightning powers in proportion of lost perma-health and you can resurrect at Vigilor marker arrows instead which are handier since you place them anywhere.(story trade here is you getter a better ending but your character may find themselves an automaton, tho maybe a perfect ending let’s you see them a Reclusian and a mortal friend they made on the quest their Memorian returning the favor of the times you saved them)

I’d also add some different upgrade armors and effects to the reforgings like a Questor Apotheosis Cape made from the Apotheosis Banner strands which let’s you pull a Sekiro so you “fake die” the first time as you blast away and slam back into the unsuspecting enemies as a lightning bolt(with half health).

On flaw stuff they could use the Soulbound flaw chart. That could spice things up in subtle ways like a Thunder voice hurting conversation choices and scaring away timid traders or rain refusing to touch you means as area where rain would wash away something like Gloomspite toxic spores means you have to hustle to a body of water to roll through instead.

F-7hgIQbMAAH8RR?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bethebee said:

easiest way to make Stormcast compelling for a game like that is to make "reforges" a mechanic, where all of your deaths are canon and there are long-term consequences to them.  maybe as you die more and more, you're forced to take perks with great upsides but even more dramatic downsides.  you may deal monstrous melee damage and generally blend enemies, but you also enter fits of blind rage and crack like an egg.  you might be able to cast massive spells, but you lose control as you cast them potentially harming friend and foe.  you gain health whenever you damage or kill an enemy, but slowly lose it otherwise (potentially even forcing you to harm allies just to survive!).  once you get enough deaths you might even unlock suicidal abilities like the airstriking-your-own-location tactic used by Celestent Prime, damning you to an even quicker downfall despite gaining an excellent finisher.

it can effect more then just combat too.  in dialogue you might find yourself saying things you didn't pick (generally being more callous and cruel), and you'd slowly lose your memory which could mean you'd lose track of which NPC is which, or even find yourself doing entirely incorrect objectives because your mind is so scrambled.  this of course could have story implications as well.  you could be unable to do certain actions such as utilize basic machinery, and take on more of a doom-guy "punch the stuff till it works" approach (with good and bad results).  your ending would be at partially determined by how much of you there is left by the end of it, meaning that those who want the "good" ending would have to play with care to avoid a miserable fate.

add in a variety of weapons, a compelling faction to fight, and that's a pretty good primer for the setting as a whole.

edit: i also think that this would naturally lend itself to a very "personal" story; as big and fantastical as the realms are i really like the stories that tell you a lot about the people within it.  going through the world as a lone stormcast and seeing the torment and dehumanization they go through on a personal level would only make the horror of it happening a billion-fold even stronger.  it's something GW also seems to be focusing on more with the new line coming out, which i think is an excellent move since IMO it's basically their selling point.

Are you suggesting some kind of rogue lite?

• LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, Beliman said:

That would be awesome. Warhammer Fantasy already has an inifnite number of books, games and it's an IP well recieved by everyone, but that's exactly why I think that a RPG about AoS would be better. Make this IP stronger with an easy entry level for new players.

Something like Roguetrader, which has been pretty welcomed, could be interesting.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bethebee said:

Didn't Sekiro had a long-lasting penalty the more time you died? The dragon flu or something like that.

Edited by Someravella

2 hours ago, bethebee said:

That reminds me of Sifu. When yu die you get older and the "stats" of your character change:

Sifu en Steam (steampowered.com)

Grand Alliance Death is in a pretty strong position at the moment. Each of the four factions are pretty well represented. If 5th edition is to be Death/Soulblight focused I would really love to see new sculpts for the Mortarchs having seen what they have recently put out for Ushoran. I've never been a big fan of the Mannfred/Neferata kit.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

All too true... part of my frustration about it tbqh.

a Planescape CRPG would be perfect 😔 piles of potential and here we are

I don't see similarities being an issue per se, as like you said they could even link AOS to the trilogy. I'll take the argument that it would be too much fantasy all at once--CA even rotates their historicals to prevent burnout--but unfortunately I think Magnusaur is on the money that this is about. Well. Money. Even if the ideas don't work and the game sits at "Mixed" on steam like so many other warhammer games, the 40k IP will make absolute bank for CA.

1- The world of WHF is totally incoherent and anachronistic. With limits of territory and borders that limit resources, in addition to border civilizations that have been advancing for 700 years. That of AoS, since there are no clear limits and borders, justifies and makes infinite conflicts more credible.

2- If an AoS strategy game has to come out, it should be similar to Warcraft 3.

3- In AoS factions are still being built, changing and leaving. A Totalwar or a massive RTS makes no sense in this regard when the factions are about to be defined.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Hollow said:

I would really love to see new sculpts for the Mortarchs having seen what they have recently put out for Ushoran. I've never been a big fan of the Mannfred/Neferata kit.

It would be awesome to see Arkhan re-imagined as a Morghast style hero. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

I mean we can speculate endless on AoS video games but at the end of the day, we viewing the problem of a lack of interest in one happening. Whether it be no devs outside mobile game dev  want to use the IP or GW not interesting in pushing it. Like dealing with Nexon of all company says a lot of their quality control. 

it also possible that the failure of realm of ruin set back any potential good project for a long time.

Edited by novakai
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

The SCE AoS3 battletome has a good solution for that. In the PtG section when you liberate and repair Shrines to Grungni your heroes & units can skip reforge flaws when resurrecting as Grungni himself will reforge them in thanks avoiding the flaws.

So it’d be like Dark Souls 2’s difficulty where you can choose to either repair his shrines and resurrect full and healthy with minimal flaws(and possibly a questionable story ending of taking too much time letting the villain enact his plan) or go full tilt and skip most the Grungni shrines which will permanently lower your health & lose experience

BUT you could get benefits such as more lightning powers in proportion of lost perma-health and you can resurrect at Vigilor marker arrows instead which are handier since you place them anywhere.(story trade here is you getter a better ending but your character may find themselves an automaton, tho maybe a perfect ending let’s you see them a Reclusian and a mortal friend they made on the quest their Memorian returning the favor of the times you saved them)

I’d also add some different upgrade armors and effects to the reforgings like a Questor Apotheosis Cape made from the Apotheosis Banner strands which let’s you pull a Sekiro so you “fake die” the first time as you blast away and slam back into the unsuspecting enemies as a lightning bolt(with half health).

On flaw stuff they could use the Soulbound flaw chart. That could spice things up in subtle ways like a Thunder voice hurting conversation choices and scaring away timid traders or rain refusing to touch you means as area where rain would wash away something like Gloomspite toxic spores means you have to hustle to a body of water to roll through instead.

F-7hgIQbMAAH8RR?format=jpg&name=900x900

"You develop an allergy to an animal you cared for in a previous life." 

This writer needs to be stopped, what an evil wretch! 

Edited by MitGas
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, novakai said:

I mean we can speculate endless on AoS video games but at the end of the day, we viewing the problem of lack of interest in one happening. Whether it be no devs outside mobile game dev  want to use the IP or GW not interesting in pushing it. Like dealing with Nexon of all company says a lot of their quality control. 

it also possible that the failure of realm of ruin set back any potential good project for a long time.

It's true. Sad that setting a game in the mortal realms is still so much of a gamble 10 years after its introduction. I personally think it is a great setting to play in, with lots of space for fun and creative stuff. I have been greatly enjoying my Soulbound games.

On the one hand I think a lot of WHFB players rejected the setting as a kneejerk reaction since AoS "killed" their game, and I think the general sentiment of "AoS is pretty fun but the setting sucks" has kind of persisted since then. On the other hand, though, GW are not making it easy to actually learn about the Mortal Realms and the AoS narrative from the outside (or even the inside!).

I'm with @Pizzaprez on this one, personally. I really love the freedom you get to tell your own stories with AoS and its setting and always find it hard to interact with highly-described (not sure what a good term for this would be) game worlds. And I find the details and concepts that are established in AoS very fun and interesting, as well. I think mortal realms have a lot of potential to set additional games (other than AoS) in, if someone with a real passion and vision for the setting comes along and takes advantage of its strengths.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

On the one hand I think a lot of WHFB players rejected the setting as a kneejerk reaction since AoS "killed" their game, and I think the general sentiment of "AoS is pretty fun but the setting sucks" has kind of persisted since then. On the other hand, though, GW are not making it easy to actually learn about the Mortal Realms and the AoS narrative from the outside (or even the inside!).

I think this is spot on. 

I know enough about how the realms work but no details. That is partially down to you have to invest into the narrative with time and getting the novels, and as a father to an autistic child that's quite difficult for me to find the time. I like all my information in quick doses as I know I won't have the time to properly read things. The last books I properly read was last year on Jury service during the week and half I was waiting for the trial to start.

Also to add, I don't think it helps that some vocal old school fantasy players look down their nose at the setting but that is also due to the fact that the fantasy background didn't massively change over twenty years!

Although there is now a topic about discussing video games for AOS (go and have a look), I think it is a massive untapped setting. There is so much you could do but I wonder how much GW pressure studios into what can appear in the games. I think stepping away from Stormcast and grand battles, you could have something wonderful and tell a great story.

Anyway, not long until the preview show. Does anybody have any special plans for watching it? Mine will be catching up when I can as I have a wedding to attend and I don't think I will get chance to watch on catch up until the weekend.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

It's true. Sad that setting a game in the mortal realms is still so much of a gamble 10 years after its introduction. I personally think it is a great setting to play in, with lots of space for fun and creative stuff. I have been greatly enjoying my Soulbound games.

I'm with @Pizzaprez on this one, personally. I really love the freedom you get to tell your own stories with AoS and its setting and always find it hard to interact with highly-described (not sure what a good term for this would be) game worlds. And I find the details and concepts that are established in AoS very fun and interesting, as well. I think mortal realms have a lot of potential to set additional games (other than AoS) in, if someone with a real passion and vision for the setting comes along and takes advantage of its strengths.

18 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

I think this is spot on. 

I know enough about how the realms work but no details. That is partially down to you have to invest into the narrative with time and getting the novels, and as a father to an autistic child that's quite difficult for me to find the time. I like all my information in quick doses as I know I won't have the time to properly read things. The last books I properly read was last year on Jury service during the week and half I was waiting for the trial to start.

Also to add, I don't think it helps that some vocal old school fantasy players look down their nose at the setting but that is also due to the fact that the fantasy background didn't massively change over twenty years!

Although there is now a topic about discussing video games for AOS (go and have a look), I think it is a massive untapped setting. There is so much you could do but I wonder how much GW pressure studios into what can appear in the games. I think stepping away from Stormcast and grand battles, you could have something wonderful and tell a great story.

Anyway, not long until the preview show. Does anybody have any special plans for watching it? Mine will be catching up when I can as I have a wedding to attend and I don't think I will get chance to watch on catch up until the weekend.

All this discussion about an AoS game just has me tripling down on my feeling that they just haven't found the special sauce yet. I'd quote all y'all individually, but I'm trying to respect the fact that we split off that discussion (understandably!) to a different thread

I think a lot of people who hated AoS from the outset never did give it a completely fair shake, especially after the setting moved past the Realmgate Wars. I loved Fantasy, but Storm of Chaos is what hooked me as a teeneager: the End Times -> AoS brought me back into the hobby excited for the sequel to Fantasy with an open mind. I don't think everyone had that perspective, and tbh a game getting blown up is tough I can't completely blame them for their negative feelings

Setting-wise, I've been dipping my toe into DnD lately and I've been intrigued by their use of a "multiverse" to offer lots of unique worlds full of notable locations, many of which came from(?) or were heavily featured in other media: I know of Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter from other DnD media primarily, so it was cool to see them mentioned offhand. Age of Sigmar is a canvas that could handle that exact same sort of thing with the Realms and Sub-Realms and I'd hope that's where the setting goes long-term. The novels I've enjoyed have done a ton to both humanize the Realms (Grombrindal) and emphasise how unique and crazy they are (Dynasty of Monsters) and I think the "general audience" could really chomp down on a fantasy setting that isn't Norse or Greek mythology or Superhero adjacent. The DnD movie was a lot of fun, and served its purpose in getting me intrigued about the game again. AoS, as a setting, does a good job of threading a needle between Soulsbourne and Terry Pratchett and I've love to see more kinds of cool stuff in the Realms

As far as the preview, I'll probably watch it over dinner or while playing a videogame on the side; I tend to space out during a lot of the talkshow discussion (unless I'm particularly passionate about something) so I like to have something tactile to do! I've also been working on my terrain backlog this week so maybe I'll build up some of that: the Red Harvest kits are some of the most boring kits I've ever assembled but they look so great on the tabletop. Lots of cleaning mould lines off plastic scaffolding! 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

I think this is spot on. 

I will sleep in the afternoon once I put my twins into bed so I can wake up and be here commenting on all the awesome content! ;)

• Like 1

Is there really a launch box allegiance pattern or is it just been coincidence based upon what armies they have coming out. I know it obvious to say it's Chaos, Death, Destruction, Chaos or is that just the way it shook out. I don't know that they go into a new edition saying we have to plan and design an army for a specific allegiance. So far the launch armies have kind of been a need of replacement. AOS needed spirit/ghosts,needed to replace Bonesplittaz and Skaven was overly due a reboot.

This makes me think that anything could be on the table for 5th. We know ogres are hanging around and given enough attention to stay (We assume). We also assume we will get BOC of elements in something new (Maybe Chaos Dwarves) We then know Malerion will be around at some point. 

I definitely agree with others that there will be some sort of big release mid way through 4th to carry the hype into 5th.  We forgot we had two giant releases during 3rd with Seraphon and Cities. IF I had to guess I think we will see Ogres and Tzeentch with a refresh while Chaos Dwarves appear for 5th edition launch.