The Rumour Thread

33 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Just that. There's a rumour that the 4th edition would have twice the investment from GW as we had in the 3rd edition.

If it is true AoS could go to the next level.

I went and did a quick calculation.  Warcry and underworlds which had a similar number of products across 2nd and 3rd edition. So if you just look at the numbers of main game kits sold 3rd edition will end up with just over 100 kits. 2nd edition has about 120. On top of that 2nd edition had 2 boxes of endless spells 12 faction scenery kits and 15 sets of faction endless spells. In third we just got the one incarnate. 

I have a theory that when COVID hit GW chose to focus on their core product, 40k. AoS unfortunately suffered as a result. 

All that is to say that even returning to the level of investment AoS got in 2nd edition would be very welcome. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Chikout said:

I went and did a quick calculation.  Warcry and underworlds which had a similar number of products across 2nd and 3rd edition. So if you just look at the numbers of main game kits sold 3rd edition will end up with just over 100 kits. 2nd edition has about 120. On top of that 2nd edition had 2 boxes of endless spells 12 faction scenery kits and 15 sets of faction endless spells. In third we just got the one incarnate. 

I have a theory that when COVID hit GW chose to focus on their core product, 40k. AoS unfortunately suffered as a result. 

All that is to say that even returning to the level of investment AoS got in 2nd edition would be very welcome. 

If only they could not release those products within a few months away from the next edition.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

If only they could not release those products within a few months away from the next edition.

It's always been this way for new GW, can't imagine them holding stuff back and not releasing anything for like 3 full months. And to be fair, most people who buy GW products care about minis first and rules second so they know people are still going to buy this box out on preorder day

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Luperci said:

It's always been this way for new GW, can't imagine them holding stuff back and not releasing anything for like 3 full months. And to be fair, most people who buy GW products care about minis first and rules second so they know people are still going to buy this box out on preorder day

They are a model company first and foremost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luperci said:

Yeah im not talking rules actually. I could be wrong but it feels like they release half of the models at the end of the edition with the narrative campaign. Could have just been the slow start of 3rd edition.

From what I recall from years past, an edition year is usually the most busiest for AoS and where they are trying to release their full slate on time before the edition change during the summer. Then it followed up by a 6 month lull in release  and picks back up during the next year with the battletome train and a few releases.

AoS 2.0 had Maggotkin, DoK, Deepkin, Malign Portent, then Soul war release with NH and SCE.

AoS 3.0 had Broken realm with multitude of big character models, LRL wave 2, Soulblight gravelords, Dominion with Thunderstrike and Kruleboyz.

And AoS 4.0 had the rest of the Dawnbringer books plus special character boxes, FEC release, the last minute Darkoath box, and then of course the new Boxset with more SCE and Skaven.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

In this particular case I don't see a big difference between both, so I think it would be all based on the price for both games:

SundayPreview Apr14 GobNightgoblins

stabbas-zajadorez-gloomspite-gitz-warhammer-age-of-sigmar.jpg

The new ones are more balanced, proportions are better and have the classic size. The first one are enormous and have really bad proportions. In term of design the first ones are caricatures and doesn't match the global design of the GW design.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

10 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

The new ones are more balanced, proportions are better and have the classic size. The first one are enormous and have really bad proportions. In term of design the first ones are caricatures and doesn't match the global design of the GW design.

Yeah, they were huge. Orcish proportions! Certainly broader than the humans at the time. 

They were a lot of fun to assemble and paint, though. 

• Like 1

As an owner of both the old and new goblins. The old ones had way more character to them in their expressive faces and outfits. The newer ones are fine--better proportioned, yes, but boring.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

that good rumor to hope for

after 10th edition i don't quite know what happen but it felt like any momentum 40k had sort of peeter off like they didn't know what what to do after the Oghram campaign and sort shuffle to redoing Pariah nexus. Kroot had a great refresh no doubt about it but rest so far got a "eh there good" out the player base

So it be interesting how AoS going to learn from said mistake 

I agree it is weird having Pariah Nexus again. Like if it would be a book from the previous edition that they couldn't fit in. Something like in 4th we get Season of War: Gallet. But in general, I think it is nice to have more narrative books during the whole edition. I don't see it as a mistake.

Edited by Ejecutor

6 hours ago, Chikout said:

But it is normal that the second edition got more kits (which is not necessarily to have more resources. I know it sounds weird but maybe 3rd edition minis took more time to be modelled/ concepted than the 2nd edition ones). You still have to settle the game at that point and release stuff to pick the eye of new players. Every edition that bit is "less important" as you have already done that work in the past.

2 hours ago, Nezzhil said:

Yup. I agree, but that caricature has something lovely that makes it more appealing to me than the new one. Also, they are holding pretty well. It is the first time I see an old mini that I prefer over the new one (or that I wouldn't mind picking instead of the new one).

1 hour ago, Mutton said:

As an owner of both the old and new goblins. The old ones had way more character to them in their expressive faces and outfits. The newer ones are fine--better proportioned, yes, but boring.

Agreed, i wonder how they look on round bases.

I disagree with the notion that old sculpts have more character, but I'm glad TOW is allowing people who want them to pick these sculpts up again without paying ebay premiums. If only GW also did it for their main range products that sell out too quickly.

On the topic of old sculpts; I guess this means that Stabbaz and Shootaz in AoS are not up for a refresh quite yet? Would that mean they have other plans with Gloomspite for the coming edition?

There's a few core kits in a lot of armies that would massively improve the general look of armies if they were modernized. Like how the new Ardboyz make Ironjawz armies look so much better and more threatening. Shootaz and Stabbaz are among these kits, but also Dryads, Skinks, Witch Aelves, Mancrushers, Crypt Ghouls, Pink Horrors, Grave Guard/Wight King, etc. I'm wondering what the timeframe is that GW is going to update these in now that they're so desparate to split AoS and TOW.

Edited by Snarff
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Snarff said:

I disagree with the notion that old sculpts have more character, but I'm glad TOW is allowing people who want them to pick these sculpts up again without paying ebay premiums. If only GW also did it for their main range products that sell out too quickly.

On the topic of old sculpts; I guess this means that Stabbaz and Shootaz in AoS are not up for a refresh quite yet? Would that mean they have other plans with Gloomspite for the coming edition?

There's a few core kits in a lot of armies that would massively improve the general look of armies if they were modernized. Like how the new Ardboyz make Ironjawz armies look so much better and more threatening. Shootaz and Stabbaz are among these kits, but also Dryads, Skinks, Witch Aelves, Mancrushers, Crypt Ghouls, Pink Horrors, Grave Guard/Wight King, etc. I'm wondering what the timeframe is that GW is going to update these in now that they're so desparate to split AoS and TOW.

The thing is that looking at your list, and knowing the GSG ones are staying, there's not that many that would be released for TOW. Hyst Dryads and Pink Horrors. It is true that there are plenty of them to be replaced, but not that many that affect TOW.

In fact. I saw a post in this thread as one of the top 3 more liked that was a list of kits and one of the things it was listing was its date. I am doing an update on that purely out of curiosity to see how many kits we have pending that have been released before 2015.

17 minutes ago, Snarff said:

Hard disagree on the Witch Elves - the kit is on another level than all of the others you mentioned. It was supposed to be an End Times release and tbf they're even better than true AoS kits like Vulkites. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

Hard disagree on the Witch Elves - the kit is on another level than all of the others you mentioned. It was supposed to be an End Times release and tbf they're even better than true AoS kits like Vulkites. 

agreed.
I'd like Witch Aelves to be armoured though.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 4
  • Confused 4

7 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

Just that. There's a rumour that the 4th edition would have twice the investment from GW as we had in the 3rd edition.

If it is true AoS could go to the next level.

There will be some great new sculpts for older armies indeed

12 minutes ago, TrawlingCleaner said:

Very excited for the Darkoath box! A printed version of the Supplement is a bit silly but it'll work out cheaper to buy this than separately later down the line 😁

I think it's silly as well but again makes you wonder about the production issues GW have been having!

Also very interesting about Night Goblin release. Very surprised about that!

3 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

Crazy how the new Darkoath art is inspired by Frank Frazetta's classic Conan artworks.

Peut être une image de 1 personne et texte qui dit ’WARHAMMER’

De « Conan » à « Star Wars », Frazetta, le maître de l'illustration de  fantasy

Also, I noticed that since the FEC army box launched they shifted from having the AoS logo on those promotional banners to putting just Warhammer.