The Rumour Thread

I was half-expecting the Chaos Warshrine to bite the dust in this cull. It doesn't really fit with the new Darkoath style, and it's gotta be one of the few Slaves to Darkness kits left that was inherited from Fantasy Battle. 

But, then, it's not in the Warriors of Chaos list for Old World. So... ?? 

14 minutes ago, cofaxest said:

Am I wrong or BoC shamans will be part of StD? 

I don't think you can get Bray-Shamans outside of the Vanguard which is on the list. 

EDIT: Thunderstrike Brotherhood is on Last Chance to Buy in the webstore despite not being on the list of discontinued products. I mean, they'd have to do something about the Lord Relictor because he's on the same sprue as the oldtype Retributors and Prosecutors (Vandus Hammerhand at least has a seperate sprue). 

Edited by BarakUrbaz
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

I doubt it. But I did notice that in the Old World photos they've used the old metal Shamans. Which is odd. 

They generally try not to tip their hand with media (printed or otherwise), though they do goof up from time to time. Might have just been a decision to keep things "safe".

5 hours ago, GloomkingWortwazi said:

So stuff we know is going hasn't been marked as "last chance to buy" (at least on AU store), regardless of TOW re-use or not (e.g. Orcs). However, these 4 have as mentioned earlier in the thread... kinda weird they weren't noted on the list as well?

image.png.c863c8fdbb846152634575ba1794c4bc.png

vs

image.png.b94dc6e2fc4c544dc6f8d254b6a0249f.pngimage.png.099867d42bb476e482bf72c1fdf499e0.pngimage.png.72ed24c5c437b77e228807f0269f46da.png

They didn't throw the full list to avoid someone putting their HQ on fire.

1 hour ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

I was half-expecting the Chaos Warshrine to bite the dust in this cull. It doesn't really fit with the new Darkoath style, and it's gotta be one of the few Slaves to Darkness kits left that was inherited from Fantasy Battle. 

But, then, it's not in the Warriors of Chaos list for Old World. So... ?? 

It has another 3 years of life as max.

Sad day for Beastmen, Bonnesplitterz, SCE players and anyone that follows the hobby. 

The only thing I can understand about all of this is that GW didn't have any plan for their minaitures and/or loyalty program for their clients.

• Like 1

Wow. This was a much more brutal culling than I expected, and anyone who's spent hours and hours of love on their armies that are now getting discontinued has my sympathy (I've been there, several times!).

I will say that this is a really bad look for AoS. Some uncertainty around the model ranges was understandable after the messy launch, and there was certainly a grace period where GW could get away with discontinuing stuff as they tried to figure out what they were doing. However, it's taken AoS way, way too long to "find its feet" and decide what it wants to keep. Around the point everything was covered by a battletome and had received at least minor support (which was late 2nd I think?) they really needed to commit to supporting armies long term (with perhaps an exception for unique cases like Cities).

Pulling a move like this - especially with the relatively recent Sacrosanct - is pretty terrible for maintaining confidence in the product line and encouraging long term investment in armies. Whether or not that will amount to anything... who knows (probably not). But I do think it's both unhealthy and highly discouraging for AoS to still be conducting major purges this far into its lifespan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Hollow said:

Probably gonna get some blow back from this but I smell a whole lot of faux outrage online. I bet 90% of the people screaming to the high rafters don't even own a single of these kits or play them. 

Yes, we're actually paid actors.

What I find sad about your comment is that it basically tells me you find incomprehensible that people would be upset by this, so you must find another explanation (they must have an ulterior motive).

I have spent the evening reassuring the two new AoS players of our club in our discord. They both have a stormcast army built via the stormbringer (EDIT: no, it's Mortal Realms) magazine (so, mostly if not all Sacrosanct if I understand correctly). I told them that nobody at the club would have a problem playing them, that they will be able to proxy their minis for other/new stuff, and that even our tournament community is likely to be fine with it. They were still shaken and sad at the end, so, while I am able to rationalize all this, it's still a bad day and it has drained a lot of my energy and enthusiasm for the game.

Edited by Marcvs
  • Like 11

4 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

Yes, we're actually paid actors.

What I find sad about your comment is that it basically tells me you find incomprehensible that people would be upset by this, so you must find another explanation (they must have an ulterior motive).

I have spent the evening reassuring the two new AoS players of our club in our discord. They both have a stormcast army built via the stormbringer magazine (so, mostly if not all Sacrosanct if I understand correctly). I told them that nobody at the club would have a problem playing them, that they will be able to proxy their minis for other/new stuff, and that even our tournament community is likely to be fine with it. They were still shaken and sad at the end, so, while I am able to rationalize all this, it's still a bad day and it has drained a lot of my energy and enthusiasm for the game.

Maybe you mean the Mortal Realms magazine? Stormbringer one doesn't have any trimmed-down model.

3 hours ago, Hollow said:

Probably gonna get some blow back from this but I smell a whole lot of faux outrage online. I bet 90% of the people screaming to the high rafters don't even own a single of these kits or play them. 

Recognizing that something is wrong even if you are not personally affected is the essence of morality. Not sure what point you are making here.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Maybe you mean the Mortal Realms magazine? Stormbringer one doesn't have any trimmed-down model.

Yes it must be that! I have never bought them myself so I don't know the denomination of the magazines. It's the one which gave you lots of souls wars stuff basically

15 hours ago, Chikout said:

Maybe the answer is to keep the old models playable for much longer. They promised to balance the older factions for a year.  Why not the whole edition or indeed forever? They can definitely afford to hire a couple more people to the rules team. Doing balance updates for the legacy factions could be part of the training. 

Exactly. This is the way. Legends like battletomes and codices for a, well "legacy" ie no longer on sale faction. Updated once in a edition. With warlord traits, artefacts, special rules, subfactions, battle formations and whatever will be relevant in the current edition. 

IMO Bonesplittaz have had it coming for a long time. they are an old launch army that was cobled together from Orcs and Goblins, they have a minimal to zero prescene in the current lore, and I have never actually seen or faced a Bonesplittaz army since ive been playing the game in 2018. 

The OG Stormcast getting binned is understandable as they are probally all getting refreshed into Thunderstrike and to trim down the massive amount of heroes they have. I like that SCE have a tonne of Heores as it fits the lore and theme of the ary, but lets be honest, most are prettu useless. The Sacrosacnt stuff being binned is bizzare though. unless they have plans to bring out a couple of mages and some fully update the range to thunderstrike i can't really see a reason except for "we have production issues and the SCE range is massive, lets scrap this chamber to cull the range a bit". GW will dress it up as a lore reason but its first and formost a buissness desicion. 

Beastmen were always going to get transfered over when they were announced for the Old World, but i don't think they will fully disapear from AOS. They will probaly return as a detachment for chaos armies like god marked and some undivided Beastmen in a few years time. They have enough prescence in the lore that disapearing them Stalin style would just be wierd. 

6 hours ago, Whitefang said:

never say never, cuz things sometimes get positively weird 

1. Bonesplitterz did a fusion ritual with Beasts to become wereboars(goats?).

2. Bonesplitterz get into haute couture

3. Gors turn into proxygors (too soon?)