The Rumour Thread

3 minutes ago, Garrac said:

You're totally right! And it's still up! Broooooooo, this must be like the first time in years that I see a release holding up so much time, it's a miracle

It's not a space marine or imperium box so makes sense, I would've been tempted since I have a decent tau collection but I just really don't want to play 40k in the state that it's in right now, wonder if there are many others who feel the same

• Like 2

• Subscriber

I would've got it if they hadn't already shown off the Darkoath box coming soon. To me, the Kroot are closer in style and sculpts to AoS stuff. One of the rare 40k releases recently that does appeal to me. However, I can't justify getting them when I know so much AoS (and ToW) stuff is coming down the tracks. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Luperci said:

It's not a space marine or imperium box so makes sense, I would've been tempted since I have a decent tau collection but I just really don't want to play 40k in the state that it's in right now, wonder if there are many others who feel the same

Ah, Im on your same page. I'll just play some with my 40k group and then play OPR the rest of the time, where i dont have to buy 120 minis to play a single match.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Luperci said:

Definitely feel the same, I have an eldar force and I've felt no pull towards 40k ever since psychic disciplines got dumped.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SunStorm said:

Kroot box is still in stock on the UK GW site and I can see 3rd parties have it as low as £114.75.

Fingers crossed the Darkoath box release is the same price and availability. 

Honestly I imagine it will be cheaper. UK boxes range between 125-135 on GW. These boxes were 135 with a whole codex and a lot of cards. Darkoath just gets a supplement book and a lot less cards since its only a few models so wouldn't be surprised if we see it for 125... I hope. Tbh there have even been boxes for 110.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Luperci said:

Heresy, AoS, SW legion, mesbg are all in much better places. It feels with 40k that you have to build for the missions rather than taking a balanced force and playing well. It really feels like it's forgotten it's roots. I had fun when I played in a tournament a week or two ago but I won't be arranging games for it. 

Rivals of the Mirrored City seems to be sold out most of the bigger places, including Warhammer.com. I know the most likely scenario is that GW produced like ten boxes total, but I was surprised to see it vanish so quickly, especially compared to the Tau Kroot Army Set.

Edited by Clan's Cynic

1 hour ago, Luperci said:

I don't play 40k but I thought it was doing ok? What's the current state like

3 minutes ago, Cdance93 said:

I don't play 40k but I thought it was doing ok? What's the current state like

a lot of the rules changes in 10th have been either implemented poorly(USRs, detachments etc.) or reduced the flavour(removal of psychic phase, removal of wargear options and points granularity) imo

Edited by Luperci

6 minutes ago, Luperci said:

a lot of the rules changes in 10th have been either implemented poorly(USRs, detachments etc.) or reduced the flavour(removal of psychic phase, removal of wargear options and points granularity) imo

The point shrinking has also been quite bad, a lot of bros are rn just playing with 1000 points because their armies no longer reach the 2000 limit.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Luperci said:

The reduction of flavour (apart from psychic, that was a disgrace) have been a bless for me. I had tons of minis waiting to be mounted because I cound't decide with wargear to put on them, now I can go full of "rule of cool" without worrying about WYSIWYG.

I hope Aos follow the same path, is dumb to have a different weapon profiles in units divided between the good weapon and the "narrative" weapon. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Ragest said:

The reduction of flavour (apart from psychic, that was a disgrace) have been a bless for me. I had tons of minis waiting to be mounted because I cound't decide with wargear to put on them, now I can go full of "rule of cool" without worrying about WYSIWYG.

My only issue with 10th ed is the reduction of subfactions and customization. WYSIWYG is a choise made by players, but the opportunity to play as NightLords or customize my heroes feels shallow.

Btw, I don't have any problem with early edition balance. Yep, some factions will be overpowered and some unit will have "that" special rule that will break the game, but we know that with a good design. It can be fixe'd really easy. But to me, AoS has a bigger problem than that. If you want to change the charge-impact bonus of cavalry/chariots, you need to rewrite ALL warscrolls because most of this abilities are completely diferent.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ragest said:

I hope Aos follow the same path, is dumb to have a different weapon profiles in units divided between the good weapon and the "narrative" weapon. 

I do prefer simpler and faster rules but I do like options as well. I'd rather see see more balanced load out options than just  merging of all options. 

Imo a recent perfect example of this is the Ardboyz. Their spears get +1 rend upon being charged but the hand weapons get a +1 attack to the unit if it charged. Very flavorful, powerful,  and mechanically engaging. I'd love to see more of this. 

Edited by Vasshpit
  • Like 3

I don’t know if it’s connected or not, but with all this talk about ruination and ruin. The AOS game that dropped was called realm of ruin and did have thunder strike liberators. So maybe they are diving hard in the the “ruin”

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Ragest said:

it's fine to have weapon options that are statistically worse because they then cost less points... if you actually give points to wargear. Having a combi melta be statistically the same as a combi flamer just feels wrong. I don't just mean weapons though, armies like tyranids lost what remained of the adaptions they could buy for units and tau lost all their battlesuit systems

3 minutes ago, Beliman said:

My only issue with 10th ed is the reduction of subfactions and customization. WYSIWYG is a choise made by players, but the opportunity to play as NightLords or customize my heroes feels shallow.

Btw, I don't have any problem with early edition balance. Yep, some factions will be overpowered and some unit will have "that" special rule that will break the game, but we know that with a good design. It can be fixe'd really easy. But to me, AoS has a bigger problem than that. If you want to change the charge-impact bonus of cavalry/chariots, you need to rewrite ALL warscrolls because most of this abilities are completely diferent.

I don't mind them cutting subfactions for factions like admech or tau, or at least having them flavoured as archetypes rather than specific subfactions makes a lot more sense there

Edited by Luperci

I think a lot of the issues with 40k are a bit overstated, even if it’s become a game I don’t care for, but certainly there’s problems in implementing some of the core concepts.

The new tau battlesuit rules, effectively splitting the unit into three based on loadout, are a really sloppy and panicked way to make the lack of wargear points ‘work’. It might address a particular un-fun loadout of the previous edition but in the process it invalidates many (maybe even most) existing players’ units, clashes with the background, and makes it impossible to build one of the units from a single kit. Tone frank, that last one is a real surprise, that the rules writers would borderline invalidate the seemingly sacrosanct GW guideline of “kit = rules”.

Edited by sandlemad

Comparing the 10th edition with Old World rules wise is night and day. 

40k feels like it's designed for tournaments, with quicker games to fit into the tournament run time, and stream lining of rules and unit selection to bring people in. The changes in 8th to +tohit are worse here tbh, where duelist characters and or elite melee units can still be hit and taken out by inferior units just by virtue of rolling a +3 or +4. (It's the same in AOS, but AOS Handles it a lot better)

Elite units with high WS in old world just absolutely crush weaker chaff. If a unit of Chosen charge Bretonnian Peasants, I fully expect the chosen to absolutely outclass the peasants and fold them. When a peasant gets a lucky hit and kills a chosen it feels so much more fun.

The amount of customisation blows 40k out the water as well. If I want to create 2 40 man blocks of men at arms with banners and characters then I can, and it's somewhat viable. Want to run all knights? Yeah go for it. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

I think a lot of the issues with 40k are a bit overstated, even if it’s become a game I don’t care for, but certainly there’s problems in implementing some of the core concepts.

The new tau battlesuit rules, effectively splitting the unit into three based on loadout, are a really sloppy and panicked way to make the lack of wargear points ‘work’. It might address a particular un-fun loadout of the previous edition but in the process it invalidates many (maybe even most) existing players’ units, clashes with the background, and makes it impossible to build on the units from a single kit. Tone frank, that last one is a real surprise, that the rules writers would borderline invalidate the seemingly sacrosanct GW guideline of “kit = rules”.

100%. I'm dreading to see what will happen to CSM. 

Word Bearers and Night Lords have completely different philosophies and fighting styles for example, and the rules and load outs should reflect that. Seeing night Lord armies running Possessed and demon engines, because it's Meta, is honestly just lame to me. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

The new tau battlesuit rules, effectively splitting the unit into three based on loadout, are a really sloppy and panicked way to make the lack of wargear points ‘work’. It might address a particular un-fun loadout of the previous edition but in the process it invalidates many (maybe even most) existing players’ units, clashes with the background, and makes it impossible to build one of the units from a single kit. Tone frank, that last one is a real surprise, that the rules writers would borderline invalidate the seemingly sacrosanct GW guideline of “kit = rules”.

tbf on that last point, the writers are in a difficult spot because the kit has a bizarre array of weapons and not enough of any of them, it feels like mini designers design kits with the expectation that players will just put random weapons on each model but no one I've ever encountered builds them that way, it's the same as it's been for stuff like the new chaos terminators only having 2 of each gun and 1 of each melee weapon

1 minute ago, Luperci said:

tbf on that last point, the writers are in a difficult spot because the kit has a bizarre array of weapons and not enough of any of them, it feels like mini designers design kits with the expectation that players will just put random weapons on each model but no one I've ever encountered builds them that way, it's the same as it's been for stuff like the new chaos terminators only having 2 of each gun and 1 of each melee weapon

"Accursed Weapons" has entered the chat. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Beliman said:

But to me, AoS has a bigger problem than that. If you want to change the charge-impact bonus of cavalry/chariots, you need to rewrite ALL warscrolls because most of this abilities are completely diferent.

AoS needs to merge all similar effects under the same term and make a glossary with all, like 40k did.

And that's the principal reason I want an index

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Imo a recent perfect example of this is the Ardboyz

I prefer the cryptguard route, all weapons are the same, so I can mix and match as I want or choose the "coolest" one with any remorse.

I have Morghast with blades, because I love blades, but they are garbage compared with spears. Most of the time people doesn't care If i say "hey, those are hallberds", but sometimes they care and I'm paying points for an output i can't reach.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AquaRegis said:

100%. I'm dreading to see what will happen to CSM. 

Word Bearers and Night Lords have completely different philosophies and fighting styles for example, and the rules and load outs should reflect that. Seeing night Lord armies running Possessed and demon engines, because it's Meta, is honestly just lame to me. 

At one point I was tempted to start an Alpha Legion chaos army and I like that they can be varied to go corrupted chaos theme or just standard marines and as someone that didn't want to go too in to Chaos corruption I admit this does worry me. 

Like I wouldn't want the CP on Helbrute alone since right away that is chaos corruption and kinda hope they do a new CP with more basic stuff that let's you build down the path that suits you and I wouldn't want a Helbrute if I was a Nightlord player either.