The Rumour Thread

8 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Idoneth Wave 2 is also a dream I have. I will even put it above a BOC range refresh for myself personally.

problem is that, idoneth getting something remains a dream.

they are the only faction with whole edittion without a book. and i  think they are the only full aos army that didnt get anything ( only the mandatory 3.0 hero dont count) since his release like 5 years ago.... so i allready lost the hope with them and got seraphons and lumineths too xD

The longer the game is continued the fewer armies get full releases. I think we used to have 4 new armies a year at the beginning of AoS. Last year we had only 2 large releases, correct? (Seraphon and CoS). Expectations listed in previous posts seem too optimistic. I wouldn't expect more than Skaven and Stormcast starter set in June and maybe Chaos Dwarfs later this year. There will be some smaller 3 model releases like Orruks with the big Pig and berserkers or Sylvaneth with Lady of the Vines and some flying models but that's it.

Edited by Aeryenn
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

The longer the game is continued the fewer armies get full releases. I think we used to have 4 new armies a year at the beginning of AoS. Last year we had only 2 large releases, correct? (Seraphon and CoS). Expectations listed in previous posts seem too optimistic. I wouldn't expect more than Skaven and Stormcast starter set in June and maybe Chaos Dwarfs later this year. There will be some smaller 3 model releases like Orruks with the big Pig and berserkers or Sylvaneth with Lady of the Vines and some flying models but that's it.

This edition we had 7 big releases :sce, kb, s2d, seraphon, Cities, Fec and ironjawz and 4 small releases: sylvaneth, nighthaunt, gloomspite and gargants. 

I don’t think those are few armies.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

53 minutes ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

I'd take that and/or Doom Knights such as TWW3 has. Something that makes them more than just Warriors/ Chosen in blue. 

This is one of the best Warhammer art pieces, in my mind, and makes me really want armored Tzeentch.

image.png.572428f5486de3c0785b75afe6923633.pngimage.png.572428f5486de3c0785b75afe6923633.png

Yeah, it‘s a lovely piece indeed, I think there are a couple of amazing Tzeentch warrior artworks out there - what I love about Tzeentchian warriors is that they‘ve got a sophisticated, eldritch but muted evilness to their design - not the typical skull/chunky armor we usually see from Chaos that just screams „I’m what an 8-year old imagines evil to look like“ and not as fancy and outlandish as Slaanesh‘s visuals. Those Tzeenchtians could be noble warriors at first glance but once you see the details and how off some aspects are, whether their armor, weapons or even mutations, you learn that they‘re not your saviors. There‘s usually a strong identity there that got twisted and transfigured into what they are now. Like with the Thousand Sons models. 

I know one day we‘ll get them and I can‘t wait - I‘m really happy all in all with the things we‘ve got starting with Silver Tower and seen, e.g. the new Curseling but it makes it more difficult to wait for the last pieces of the puzzle. Tzeentch Elites and spawns (new spawns would look amazing surely) are my favorite units in concept and both of those could use (new) minis. 

Anyways, if the upcoming releases will be as good as the ones we got in recent years, the next edition will be amazing - we‘re slowly getting to a point where most armies feel quite complete. Now the last few need proper releases and some need a few smaller waves and we‘ll be healthier than any other GW system overall when it comes to minis (well, 40k is pretty much there already with very few exceptions… but compared to WHFB, AoS is amazing in that regard). 

• Like 1

My personal biggest wishes are:

FS wave 2, solidly incorporating female FS into the range and a bigger focus on Magma/Kyndle/Demidroths and Vulcatrix. Ideally full refresh in the new style and a Grimnir avatar/Grimnir on Vulcatrix model, but that can easily wait another edition.

KO wave 2 with some melee/exoskeletons, Valaya or other female Ancestor masks for headswapping, female Kharadron incorporated into the range and a new ship. Maybe even some bigger mechanical companions like Drillbills?

IDK wave (hehe) 2 with a bigger focus on marine life. There is so much potential in Squids, Jellyfish (Aurelia shields!), Crabs, Coelacanths, Anglerfish, etc. I would also really like for the Kharybdiss to be updated and moved to Idoneth.

OBR wave 2! More wacky constructs, bowmen, etc.

CoS wave 2 with updates of all the Duardin and Aelves. Ironweld, possibilities to mix in Duardin and Aelven steelhelms, Arika Zenthe, etc. I want to see mages from all the realms, Duardin and Aelven mages too, an Azyrite Duardin mage for example! Make the cities cosmopolitan again, and update the old sculpts in the process!

And finally, updates and AoSification of all factions left behind so far. Skaven, BoC, Ogors and Bonesplitterz are factions really in need of both more plastic and more mortal realms flavor. But also units like Temple Guard, Grave Guard, Dryads, Hexwraiths, Witch Aelves, Doomfire Warlocks (why do those still exist lol), Fellwater Troggoths, Git stabbas/shootas, etc. are ripe for updating

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, Snarff said:

FS wave 2, solidly incorporating female FS into the range and a bigger focus on Magma/Kyndle/Demidroths and Vulcatrix. Ideally full refresh in the new style and a Grimnir avatar/Grimnir on Vulcatrix model, but that can easily wait another edition.

KO wave 2 with some melee/exoskeletons, Valaya or other female Ancestor masks for headswapping, female Kharadron incorporated into the range and a new ship. Maybe even some bigger mechanical companions like Drillbills?

A toast for your wishes!

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

28 minutes ago, Snarff said:

IDK wave (hehe) 2 with a bigger focus on marine life. There is so much potential in Squids, Jellyfish (Aurelia shields!), Crabs, Coelacanths, Anglerfish, etc. I would also really like for the Kharybdiss to be updated and moved to Idoneth.

OBR wave 2! More wacky constructs, bowmen, etc.

CoS wave 2 with updates of all the Duardin and Aelves. Ironweld, possibilities to mix in Duardin and Aelven steelhelms, Arika Zenthe, etc. I want to see mages from all the realms, Duardin and Aelven mages too, an Azyrite Duardin mage for example! Make the cities cosmopolitan again, and update the old sculpts in the process!

And finally, updates and AoSification of all factions left behind so far. Skaven, BoC, Ogors and Bonesplitterz are factions really in need of both more plastic and more mortal realms flavor. But also units like Temple Guard, Grave Guard, Dryads, Hexwraiths, Witch Aelves, Doomfire Warlocks (why do those still exist lol), Fellwater Troggoths, Git stabbas/shootas, etc. are ripe for updating

Yeah, certainly with mages from all the realms they could do some really cool stuf.

2 hours ago, Tonhel said:

Yeah, certainly with mages from all the realms they could do some really cool stuf.

I feel what gave a certain charm to wfb was that different races had different interactions with magic. Making mages interchangeable would feel to me like a random fantasy video game rpg where you can choose whatever you want and all characters end up blending into a big fantasy blob of the same. Elf beserker, ogre paladin, dwarf mage, orc mage paladin, human mage paladin, etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, CommissarRotke said:

OKAY HOW ABOUT A DRUM

image.png.e49891e3e43a4a363dc966189b2bace9.png

Give me a Kruleboyz metal band at this point. I bet if we took the musicians from all factions you could make some really cool bands with some killer names. Slaanesh harp, Kruleboy drum, Sylvaneth flute, etc

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

5 minutes ago, Mordeus said:

I feel what gave a certain charm to wfb was that different races had different interactions with magic. Making mages interchangeable would feel to me like a random fantasy video game rpg where you can choose whatever you want and all characters end up blending into a big fantasy blob of the same. Elf beserker, ogre paladin, dwarf mage, orc mage paladin, human mage paladin, etc.

Being able to choose whatever I want is exactly what I want for AoS. I hate races being limited in what they can do arbitrarily. Allowing all factions to do everything gives tons of opportunities for amazing stories, even if races can still have preferences for certain dispositions.

An ogre paladin could be an amazing story in and of itself. For example, an ogre that got saved from the Everwinter on accident by Alarielle changing the seasons and dedicating themself to the service of Alarielle, and trying to eat in a more sustainable way has tons of potential. You completely nullify that by arbitrary restrictions like 'Duardin can't use magic because that is what traditional dwarves do'.

Edited by Snarff
  • Like 8
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Snarff said:

Being able to choose whatever I want is exactly what I want for AoS. I hate races being limited in what they can do arbitrarily. Allowing all factions to do everything gives tons of opportunities for amazing stories, even if races can still have preferences for certain dispositions.

An ogre paladin could be an amazing story in and of itself. For example, an ogre that got saved from the Everwinter on accident by Alarielle changing the seasons and dedicating themself to the service of Alarielle, and trying to eat in a more sustainable way has tons of potential. You completely nullify that by arbitrary restrictions like 'Duardin can't use magic because that is what traditional dwarves do'.

Exceptions are what makes the fluff interesting. For example dwarves not using magic is what allows chaos dwarves to exist.  If everyone can be everything i feel we lose what creates tension in a fictional universe.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Mordeus said:

Exceptions are what makes the fluff interesting. For example dwarves not using magic is what allows chaos dwarves to exist.  If everyone can be everything i feel we lose what creates tension in a fictional universe.

Duardin already use magic. Duardin not using magic is not what allows Chuardin to exist, their differences in society is what allows the Chuardin to exist.

The exceptions are impossible if you arbitrarily restrict everything based on race. Just look at WoW, one of the best things that they've been doing in recent years is continuing to loosen up all the race restrictions, so people can actually make their dudes instead of being limited for no reason

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Snarff said:

FS in my opinion suffer the most from the this was one unit we are going to develope into an army.  Like how many different flavors of berserk dwarves can you realistically make.

Sure obr came from morghast "barely" box and nh came from the souls box.  But theyre themes that can easily be expanded apon.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pizzaprez said:

Just looked into the Rootkings: literally the fanfiction "ghyran duardin" I'd been kicking around fanfictioning in my head for my Human/Wanderer/Duardin Free City up until Dispossesed were looking like an endangered species. That project is likely going to be on hold for a minute until this Cities wave 2/Old World situation shakes out. But once I'm working on it again I'm 1000% trying to make Root Kings, way too cool.

I think Dispossesed are on the outs for sure. I would sincerely be shocked if GW threads a way to keep any of them in AoS at all. Initially, Cities was like five flavors of "warrior leader, wizard leader, strong and weak foot troops, something ranged, something mounted, something[s] unique" 

I find it pretty unlikely that a CoS wave 2 that comes an edition or so down the line would cut their models down to humans + 1 ogor + 1 Warcry warband with a couple optional aelf heads.

Every holdover WHFB model in the game is obviously on the line to be replaced at some point (though not necessarily any time soon), but I expect we’ll see the current Dispossessed replaced by a handful of new kits that blend their aesthetic with the rest of the army and act as like supplemental options to the human part, rather than see the non-human elements cut completely. The aelf bits are probably the same, though I don’t think most people realize most of the current CoS aelves are kind of unsquatable due to a daisy chain of necessity.

Dark Riders share a kit with DoK’s Doomfire Warlocks and can’t go without yanking a unit from an army that doesn’t have a huge amount of them, Dark Riders are darkling units and kind of require keeping the darklings around, but the Sorceress on Black Dragon shares a kit with the Dreadlord on Black Dragon who’s an Ordo Serpentis model, and Ordo Serpentis’ line has the Hydra and Drakespawn Chariot which share kits with the Kharibdyss and Scourgerunner Chariot for the Scourge Privateers… they’re all really intertwined and really difficult to untangle, which is probably why they stayed and will keep staying for a while.

Edited by Togetak
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, flying_dutchman said:

FS in my opinion suffer the most from the this was one unit we are going to develope into an army.  Like how many different flavors of berserk dwarves can you realistically make.

Sure obr came from morghast "barely" box and nh came from the souls box.  But theyre themes that can easily be expanded apon.

Well, if GW wanted to, they could easily expand on FS as well. While I agree that the ceiling has been reached when it comes to nude, angry midgets that all look the same, they could for example add armored troops, cavalry, fire creatures, beasties.... whatever else that feels fitting to their so far established theme. They've certainly wore out the slayer shtick though, conceptually FS are a terribly boring creation, so it's time to spruce em up!

Difficult to put it more nicely, but IMO the hyper-focus on single cool aspects from WHFB as a limiting blueprint for the first few AoS forces was in general a bad decision that worked for some factions but not all. High time they fixed that issue with FS.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ragest said:

This edition we had 7 big releases :sce, kb, s2d, seraphon, Cities, Fec and ironjawz and 4 small releases: sylvaneth, nighthaunt, gloomspite and gargants. 

I don’t think those are few armies.

I specifically said THIS YEAR. Throughout 4th edition I would expect several armies as well.

Now I really get the impression that every other army, even some minor and long dead like Chaos Dwarfs are getting their releases before Malerion. Dark Elves always were among the main WHFB factions. I hope this means that DE will get major release like CoS, Nighthaunt or KB before them.

Edited by Aeryenn
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Snarff said:

Duardin already use magic. Duardin not using magic is not what allows Chuardin to exist, their differences in society is what allows the Chuardin to exist.

The exceptions are impossible if you arbitrarily restrict everything based on race. Just look at WoW, one of the best things that they've been doing in recent years is continuing to loosen up all the race restrictions, so people can actually make their dudes instead of being limited for no reason

I dunno, in the WoW fandom there are allways complains, and this one of the most common ones, about how Blizzard has now made all races too generic with absurd race/class fits like tauren rogues that almost  no one picks. Blizz has made the racepicking process highly irrelevant, more now that starting zones are the same, racials dont matter anymore safe for highly competitive scenarios, some bodies still have problems clipping with their armours, and even dk voices no longer change to the Darth Vader tones. Nowadays wowreddit is filled with guys just picking races based only on voices and animations.

I wouldnt call WoW's loss of flavour such the W you think it is.

Edited by Garrac
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1

Context is always important. In 1st edition there were sizable updates for 9 factions. In 2nd edition there  also were updates for 9 factions but both Slaanesh and Lumineth got 2 big updates. 

In third we've had 9 big updates. I've counted Sylvaneth and Gloomspite as their Dawnbringers additions amounted to a decent sized update across the edition. There's still time left for some more stuff before the end of the edition. A warcry unit and a hero would probably be enough to make Nighthaunt a big update overall. 

All that goes to show that we can expect  9or 10 more factions to get an update on 4th. We already know about Stormcast, Skaven and Chaos Duardin. That leaves another 6 or 7. 

I'd like to see Ogors, Malerion, BoC, cities of Sigmar, Tzeentch and KO and/or Fyreslayers. If BoC really do disappear, I'd like to see OBR get and update. 

Edited by Chikout
  • Like 3

Ok this is my wishlist i add to the rumours we already got.

1 Stormcast

2 Skaven

3 Chorfs

4 Spiderfang

5 Fyreslayers 

6 Ogors

7 Tzeentch 

8 Beasts of Chaos 

9 I will have to include at least 1 Death faction, so ill go with a Neferata to Soulblight Gravelords.

I think 5th edition will be Ulgu with updates to OBR, Malerion Aelves, CoS, Bonesplitterz, Frazzlegitz, Kharadron,  Idoneth and Stormcast. I am probably wrong but thats what i would prefer.

I actually cant wait to see anything on this list get updated. I hope we get some new roadmaps asap.

Edit: making this list makes me aware that i would like to see more updates than GW could possibly do in 2 editions. Maybe ill need to lower my expectations or accept that ill be in the hobby for at least 10 more years.

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Mordeus said:

7 hours ago, Mordeus said:

I agree and I would be fully behind this point before the arrival of TOW, but now I think, let have AoS the cool and whacky stuff with amazing miniatures. A dwarf on somekind of flying fire creature while throwing magical stuff around for Fyreslayers or an ogre wizard for CoS. All fine. "if the mini's are beautiful" ofcourse! I see AoS as blanket to push around beautiful and god like mini's. Where the sculptors can be totally unchained. But immersive wise, I will be not so attached to AoS as I will be with TOW.

For the immersion part of the hobby and armybuilding / making the army you collect really your own than its TOW for me. It's allows so much more customization and this is for me important hobby wise.

Yesterday I saw an army overview from the Great book of Grudges about High Elves and even with the Arcane journal which it still has to receive there are so many ways you can make a cool and immersive army that is just not doable with Lumineth, because of a lack of options. (Command traits, great nations and a very limited amount of artefacts is just not enough.)

The HE Elven honours are already much more immersive and than there is so much more stuff with all the mount options and etc.

image.png.6e271d66f5bab73f79f19e1431efdf16.png

And don't let me started about the thematic options that are available with Warriors of Chaos compared with Slaves to Darkness. Which is my main AoS army. There are so many options and most importantly Chaos Lords, Sorcerer Lords and Daemon Princes are with TOW extremely scary, as it should be instead of my poor Chaos Lord in StD :(.

Even the marks are much more fun and immersive. Look at the StD Mark of Tzeentch and the one from WoC. A mark of Tzeench is actually very handy and thematic.

The AoS nurgle mark is very cool and strong, but the WoC mark of nurge is also very strong and flavourful. You have re-roll 6, so they are resilient to poison and etc.. Cool and thematic. Yeah, cook stuff all around.

So now I see AoS as a platform to make crazy and whacky miniature with a fun ruleset and I can 't wait to see what 4th edition will be and what for cool miniatures will be released in next months / years. I will keep playing and collecting AoS.

But for me TOW is more a real hobby project, that will allow me to make the armies of my dreams with lots of options and be more "in" my army than it is with AoS. I love the AoS miniatures, but AoS StD Chaos Lord will never have the same flavour as my WoC Chaos Lord and that is a shame.

image.png.157cce7ce4a4445535849b8de366857a.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

I'd say for 4th my wishlist or expectations would be:

Exception - Stormcast

Priority 1 - Skaven/Ogors/Beasts of Chaos (full range refresh)

Priority 2 - Idoneth/Ossiarch/Kharadron/Fyreslayers (large release wave)

Priority 3 - Soulblight/Nighthaunt/Sylvaneth(kurnothi)/Kruleboyz/Sons of Behemat/Lumineth/S2D/Nurgle/Tzeentch/Gloomspite(gitmob/frazzlegitz)/Daughters of Khaine (small release wave)

Priority 4 - Chaos duardin/Malerion dark elves/Drogrukh/Grungni duardin (new faction)

Priority 5 - Ironjawz/Flesh eaters/Cities of sigmar/Seraphon/Khorne/Slaanesh (recent release wave or full roster, single hero mini/warcry unit)

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

I agree and I would be fully behind this point before the arrival of TOW, but now I think, let have AoS the cool and whacky stuff with amazing miniatures. A dwarf on somekind of flying fire creature while throwing magical stuff around for Fyreslayers or an ogre wizard for CoS. All fine. "if the mini's are beautiful" ofcourse! I see AoS as blanket to push around beautiful and god like mini's. Where the sculptors can be totally unchained. But immersive wise, I will be not so attached to AoS as I will be with TOW.

For the immersion part of the hobby and armybuilding / making the army you collect really your own than its TOW for me. It's allows so much more customization and this is for me important hobby wise.

Yesterday I saw an army overview from the Great book of Grudges about High Elves and even with the Arcane journal which it still has to receive there are so many ways you can make a cool and immersive army that is just not doable with Lumineth, because of a lack of options. (Command traits, great nations and a very limited amount of artefacts is just not enough.)

The HE Elven honours are already much more immersive and than there is so much more stuff with all the mount options and etc.

image.png.6e271d66f5bab73f79f19e1431efdf16.png

And don't let me started about the thematic options that are available with Warriors of Chaos compared with Slaves to Darkness. Which is my main AoS army. There are so many options and most importantly Chaos Lords, Sorcerer Lords and Daemon Princes are with TOW extremely scary, as it should be instead of my poor Chaos Lord in StD :(.

Even the marks are much more fun and immersive. Look at the StD Mark of Tzeentch and the one from WoC. A mark of Tzeench is actually very handy and thematic.

The AoS nurgle mark is very cool and strong, but the WoC mark of nurge is also very strong and flavourful. You have re-roll 6, so they are resilient to poison and etc.. Cool and thematic. Yeah, cook stuff all around.

So now I see AoS as a platform to make crazy and whacky miniature with a fun ruleset and I can 't wait to see what 4th edition will be and what for cool miniatures will be released in next months / years. I will keep playing and collecting AoS.

But for me TOW is more a real hobby project, that will allow me to make the armies of my dreams with lots of options and be more "in" my army than it is with AoS. I love the AoS miniatures, but AoS StD Chaos Lord will never have the same flavour as my WoC Chaos Lord and that is a shame.

image.png.157cce7ce4a4445535849b8de366857a.png

Agreed, I love having more flavour and customisation options. Unfortunately with GW's pushing of competitive play and more streamlined rules we probably won't see lots of that. It'd be nice to recieve more optional bonus faction and army construction rules in a crusade type gamemode though. Preferably stuff you just always can get and not rules like the campaign rewards/bonuses since I rarely have the chance to play a 1 off game, let alone a full campaign.

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

I think this is the most important thing! We are really lucky right now to have two fantasy games that allow completely different interpretations of fantasy themes, and while I'm am much more attached to the Old World and how it plays and feels, I've also enjoyed AOS immensely since it came out going through all the troubles  of the early day to the much more refined experience that we have now. And though I don't think I'll will ever adhere to the fluff or the overly wacky stuff, I'm glad its here in parallel to TOW for those who want it!

• Like 9