The Rumour Thread

8 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

This looks a bit to me like the mentioned golemkinds from duardins.

Between the mention of them using “flare carronades” and being mercenaries to up Greywater’s firepower I do wonder if they’re gonna give them Megaman arms. 💥 

3 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

Just want to say that i love mechs. Give me these but more chorfsified

image.png.65771671489d382f2aa2bdb9837d6502.png.

As a fellow Mecha Geek I am calling Mazinger Z as the best Chorf Mecha Design... The right colour scheme, nice hat and the all important Rocket Punch!

4 minutes ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

I wonder if the Horns of Hashut would move to being Chaos Dwarf unit or be split with StD?

Between Horns of Hashut and Hobgrots I feel like Chaos Dwarfs will have a little more of robust army than other new faction releases. I think that Chaos Dwarves will of course be allied with Slaves to Darkness so they will still be able to run Horns of Hashut. I also feel like Ogorids being bull like mercenaries might have some cross factional ties to the Chaos Dwarfs in the long run? I hope to not split too many models from S2D so I do not expect to see Ogroids join Chaos Dwarfs but I still think they could make that transition. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cyrus said:
Since Dawnbringers book 4 is not in preorder next Saturday, should we expect tomorrow either the reveal of Morghast hero or Nighthaunt hero ?

I hope so.  I've been starving for new OBR stuff basically since their initial release wave like four years ago now.  The underworlds group was cool, but mostly just made me crave Mortek Archers harder, while the variant boneshaper model that they sold as a new unit because they didn't have anything else ready for the battletome release was, if anything, /worse/ than nothing.

As in, I would have been more excited for the exact same model if it had been literally just a variant model for the boneshaper.  Plenty of lists want to run two boneshapers, and we really didn't need another foot mortisan glutting up the warscroll selection, especially when there are so many obvious gapes (foot liege, morghast hero, cavalry mortisan (no the chair doesn't count), stalker/immortis hero, foot archers, cavalry archers, chariot-constructs, big tough slow bonesphinx centerpiece monster with option for either heroes or a howda of guys on top, and for the love of all that is dead please let me buy those bone fortress walls and gate!).

Yes, a lot of that is stolen from Tomb Kings, but OBR begging for a second wave and as the spiritual successor faction to the tomb kings it's hard not to see that low hanging fruit, especially with the tomb kings themselves back on the table in tOW.  And that's just the obvious stuff, this is a faction of neverborn bone constructs straight from the fever dreams of nagash, there's so much room for wild and bizarre arcane contraptions of twisted bone and screaming bound spirits.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Ok with Chorfs all but confirmed and skaven in the launch box. This steers my thinking about what realm we are in for 4th and I think about some clues from dawnbringers as well. So this is my semi logical hot take for not only 4th but a little of 5th

4th will be set in Chamon, what leads me to think this is as follows. 

1st Skaven and Chorfs being all but confirmed in this edition I think we see a reimagining of skaven engineering, and we showcase clan skryer and their allies clan moulder. Doom wheels, Jezzails, Warpfire throwers, ratling guns, rat ogres, pack masters and all kinds of other options to showcase a revitalized skaven line. 

2nd Chorfs and industry fitting into Chamon are completely hand in hand and make far more sense to be revealed here. Remember this is order vs chaos in 4th edition. This can be showcased in contrast to the skyports of the KO and there is the greyfyrd lodge of the FS. 

3rd in the battle between bael-grimnir and trugg, he falls through the portal on truggs back which is glowing gold (magic color of chamon), and the gold magic is burning at the ends of his limbs. I think this is the major foreshadowing to the next realm we are headed to. Also nothing identifies where Trugg wakes up at night, I think he was transported to chamon along with those in his immediate vicinity. I think the (Blessed by blood- dawnbringers story) takes place as Khuls band is slaughtering countless fireslayers and troggoths, which I think is the battle that is being fought between trugg and bael. The fact that Trugg woke up at night and hasn't had his skull taken. I think he is somewhere else.

With this theme comes the advent of new war machines for multiple other factions. My mind runs wild with these.

- Stormcast: Something with lore almost akin to the dreadnoughts in 40k. Stormcast who have been stripped so far of their humanity they have one final reforging. They are placed in a part mechanized shell that is powered by their souls (not as huge as dreadnoughts but let's say they come in units of 2 game wise) They do not feel, they do not question, a grim final fate for those collected by Ionus until a cure for the flaws in reforging can be found. I think this is where a Vandus reimagining comes in. He is killed by khul for khul to ascend and he is claimed by ionus to this new fate.

- Cities of Sigmar wave 2: new cannon units, steam tanks, maybe some small cogforts (i like the idea of a cogfort being a hero centerpiece unit for an army on the table). 

- Fyreslayers/KO: Small mech suits, or alchemic replacements for severed limbs like bael-grimnir has. With a reintroduction of him with a new hero model. 

And Chamon is also home to some groups we have talked about who can get a refresh or additional unit waves: Tzeentch features heavily in this realm and would benefit from armored troops, FEC are here for wave 2, Ogors can get their line revamped with new armored shock troops, sylvanth have the ironbark glade here, and this i think is also the perfect setting for a BoC refresh as well. Malareons first wave of a reveal comes later into the edition at the beginning of year 3 in the year lead up to 5th THEN going to ulgu for 5th.

Ulgu is a much better setting to continue the rotation of order vs (insert faction here). We are due for death in 5th and the realm of shadows seems to be a mcuh more apt setting for this. You can have malerions return in 4th set the stage narratively to inform the next wave of stormcast we will inevitably get to replace the sacrosanct models, and have them face a new or new branch of an existing death faction. There are more chorfs here for a wave 2 early on, you can expand on slannesh, morathi and malerions forces. We also know way more about Chamon than Ulgu, and we have another full edition to ramp up lore about Ulgu. 

Now this all being said there is no reason these locations couldn't be flipped for the editions. This is just what I feel makes sense narratively. Combined with my fanciful thoughts of unit creations. I hope it sparks some fun thoughts.

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 2

7 minutes ago, IronVIke said:

Ok with Chorfs all but confirmed and skaven in the launch box. This steers my thinking about what realm we are in for 4th and I think about some clues from dawnbringers as well. So this is my semi logical hot take for not only 4th but a little of 5th

1st Skaven and Chorfs being all but confirmed in this edition I think we see a reimagining of skaven engineering, and we showcase clan skryer and their allies clan moulder. Doom wheels, Jezzails, Warpfire throwers, ratling guns, rat ogres, pack masters and all kinds of other options to showcase a revitalized skaven line. 

2nd Chorfs and industry fitting into Chamon are completely hand in hand and make far more sense to be revealed here. Remember this is order vs chaos in 4th edition. This can be showcased in contrast to the skyports of the KO and there is the greyfyrd lodge of the FS. 

3rd in the battle between bael-grimnir and trugg, he falls through the portal on truggs back which is glowing gold (magic color of chamon), and the gold magic is burning at the ends of his limbs. I think this is the major foreshadowing to the next realm we are headed to. Also nothing identifies where Trugg wakes up at night, I think he was transported to chamon along with those in his immediate vicinity. I think the (Blessed by blood- dawnbringers story) takes place as Khuls band is slaughtering countless fireslayers and troggoths, which I think is the battle that is being fought between trugg and bael. The fact that Trugg woke up at night and hasn't had his skull taken. I think he is somewhere else.

With this theme comes the advent of new war machines for multiple other factions. My mind runs wild with these.

- Stormcast: Something with lore almost akin to the dreadnoughts in 40k. Stormcast who have been stripped so far of their humanity they have one final reforging. They are placed in a part mechanized shell that is powered by their souls (not as huge as dreadnoughts but let's say they come in units of 2 game wise) They do not feel, they do not question, a grim final fate for those collected by Ionus until a cure for the flaws in reforging can be found. I think this is where a Vandus reimagining comes in. He is killed by khul for khul to ascend and he is claimed by ionus to this new fate.

- Cities of Sigmar wave 2: new cannon units, steam tanks, maybe some small cogforts (i like the idea of a cogfort being a hero centerpiece unit for an army on the table). 

- Fyreslayers/KO: Small mech suits, or alchemic replacements for severed limbs like bael-grimnir has. With a reintroduction of him with a new hero model. 

And Chamon is also home to some groups we have talked about who can get a refresh or additional unit waves: Tzeentch features heavily in this realm and would benefit from armored troops, FEC are here for wave 2, Ogors can get their line revamped with new armored shock troops, sylvanth have the ironbark glade here, and this i think is also the perfect setting for a BoC refresh as well. Malareons first wave of a reveal comes later into the edition at the beginning of year 3 in the year lead up to 5th THEN going to ulgu for 5th.

Ulgu is a much better setting to continue the rotation of order vs (insert faction here). We are due for death in 5th and the realm of shadows seems to be a mcuh more apt setting for this. You can have malerions return in 4th set the stage narratively to inform the next wave of stormcast we will inevitably get to replace the sacrosanct models, and have them face a new or new branch of an existing death faction. There are more chorfs here for a wave 2 early on, you can expand on slannesh, morathi and malerions forces. We also know way more about Chamon than Ulgu, and we have another full edition to ramp up lore about Ulgu. 

Now this all being said there is no reason these locations couldn't be flipped for the editions. This is just what I feel makes sense narratively. Combined with my fanciful thoughts of unit creations. I hope it sparks some fun thoughts.

Really well-rounded thoughts. Claps.

I hope we're done with whole editions set in a single realm.  It was a bad idea in third that directly contributed to how little interesting development the game's narrative has had since second edition.  Seriously, what significant narrative advancement has there been since broken realms?  I asked in another thread a month or two back and nobody could name anything.  Not one single development that mattered from the end of broken realms all the way until the dawnbringer crusades.  Story-wise 3rd edition in its entirety might as well not have even happened.

Go back to the paradigm from late 1e through the end of 2e: ie there are Eight mortal realms, each of which has active divine forces, all of whom are pushing their own plots and schemes, so interesting stuff can happen anywhere.  Yes, 2e started with a lot of focus on Shyish, coming from Malign portents into the Necroquake and the seige of Lethis, but as the edition went on new battletomes and campaigns were allowed to happen wherever the devs had an interesting idea for them.  Let's have that again.  Let us pick which realms our factions are from and where they're fighting a given game and let that matter again - maybe not with rules as overbearing as they were in 2e, but still.

The AoS setting has grown into a large, impressive mosaic, but all its rich complexity is lost if you look at it exclusively from three inches away, studying the individual stones rather than the picture they make as a whole.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Sception said:

I hope so.  I've been starving for new OBR stuff basically since their initial release wave like four years ago now.  The underworlds group was cool, but mostly just made me crave Mortek Archers harder, while the variant boneshaper model that they sold as a new unit because they didn't have anything else ready for the battletome release was, if anything, /worse/ than nothing.

As in, I would have been more excited for the exact same model if it had been literally just a variant model for the boneshaper.  Plenty of lists want to run two boneshapers, and we really didn't need another foot mortisan glutting up the warscroll selection, especially when there are so many obvious gapes (foot liege, morghast hero, cavalry mortisan (no the chair doesn't count), stalker/immortis hero, foot archers, cavalry archers, chariot-constructs, big tough slow bonesphinx centerpiece monster with option for either heroes or a howda of guys on top, and for the love of all that is dead please let me buy those bone fortress walls and gate!).

Yes, a lot of that is stolen from Tomb Kings, but OBR begging for a second wave and as the spiritual successor faction to the tomb kings it's hard not to see that low hanging fruit, especially with the tomb kings themselves back on the table in tOW.  And that's just the obvious stuff, this is a faction of neverborn bone constructs straight from the fever dreams of nagash, there's so much room for wild and bizarre arcane contraptions of twisted bone and screaming bound spirits.

I doubt we'll see obr chariots solely because it's lore that katakros hates chariots because he died in his mortal life when his failed.  And while the archer looks cool I rather see them follow the Roman theme and have crossbows (well arcuballista) just because it's something different.  I was sorta hoping that one re that's the too spears or something would be a obr ranged unit of some type.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, flying_dutchman said:

I doubt we'll see obr chariots solely because it's lore that katakros hates chariots because he died in his mortal life when his failed.  And while the archer looks cool I rather see them follow the Roman theme and have crossbows (well arcuballista) just because it's something different.  I was sorta hoping that one re that's the too spears or something would be a obr ranged unit of some type.

My list of gaps is meant to be archetypes rather than specific units.  Morteks with bows, crossbows, or handguns (using bonedust enchanted with explosive spells as gunpowder*), or even units of minor sorcerers hurling magic missles would all count as 'Mortek Archers' for my purposes.  That said, we've already seen one literal Mortek Archer in the underworlds warband, and most OBR types seemed pretty happy with that design.

Likewise, 'chariots' wouldn't be literal chariots but rather hideous bonemold amalgamations of horses, cart, and rider into a single nightmare creation of trampling hooves and crushing wheels.  Or maybe just elite kavalos riding larger, more monstrous steeds - the equivalent of stormcast dracoths in size and function.  Or really anything that fills the niche/roll/concept of a heavier support piece to add a bit of punch to the tanky but not particularly killy deathriders in cavalry leaning OBR armies.  I mean, OBR has an entire cavalry themed subfaction, but they're a little hard to get excited about when their list of on theme units is exactly one squad of knights and one mounted hero** who's honestly more effective at supporting the infantry.

*The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of OBR with guns.  Imagining some sort of gattling gun weapon emplacement/warmachine firing thousands of teeth or the like.  Unlikely to happen, but still.

**no, the guy in the chair doesn't count - he's cool but too slow to keep pace with the kavalos and thematically more closely associated with other subfactions regardless.

Edited by Sception
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

30 minutes ago, Sception said:

My list of gaps is meant to be archetypes rather than specific units.  Morteks with bows, crossbows, or handguns (using bonedust enchanted with explosive spells as gunpowder*), or even units of minor sorcerers hurling magic missles would all count as 'Mortek Archers' for my purposes.  That said, we've already seen one literal Mortek Archer in the underworlds warband, and most OBR types seemed pretty happy with that design.

Likewise, 'chariots' wouldn't be literal chariots but rather hideous bonemold amalgamations of horses, cart, and rider into a single nightmare creation of trampling hooves and crushing wheels.  Or maybe just elite kavalos riding larger, more monstrous steeds - the equivalent of stormcast dracoths in size and function.  Or really anything that fills the niche/roll/concept of a heavier support piece to add a bit of punch to the tanky but not particularly killy deathriders in cavalry leaning OBR armies.  I mean, OBR has an entire cavalry themed subfaction, but they're a little hard to get excited about when their list of on theme units is exactly one squad of knights and one mounted hero** who's honestly more effective at supporting the infantry.

*The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of OBR with guns.  Imagining some sort of gattling gun weapon emplacement/warmachine firing thousands of teeth or the like.  Unlikely to happen, but still.

**no, the guy in the chair doesn't count - he's cool but too slow to keep pace with the kavalos and thematically more closely associated with other subfactions regardless.

I get it I was just being more specific.  I rather not see obr move into more guns.  As for constructs I can get behind that.  They currently have 2 constructs in the stalkers and harvesters.  Everything else is a typical fantasy unit in bone(I'm leaving out morghasts because they're more of nagash's secret police than a true obr unit).  Now we know lore wise that liege morteks are canon and should of been the 3rd ed foot hero over the slightly different mortisan.  I'd also like to see a single unit banner bearer like other armies have that could have a bone tithe ability similar to bok blood tithe but just for buffs no summoning.  And I'm going to be the contrarian and say I'd still prefer crossbows to bows.  It fits the Greco Roman theme well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, flying_dutchman said:

I get it I was just being more specific.  I rather not see obr move into more guns.  As for constructs I can get behind that.  They currently have 2 constructs in the stalkers and harvesters.  Everything else is a typical fantasy unit in bone(I'm leaving out morghasts because they're more of nagash's secret police than a true obr unit).  Now we know lore wise that liege morteks are canon and should of been the 3rd ed foot hero over the slightly different mortisan.  I'd also like to see a single unit banner bearer like other armies have that could have a bone tithe ability similar to bok blood tithe but just for buffs no summoning.  And I'm going to be the contrarian and say I'd still prefer crossbows to bows.  It fits the Greco Roman theme well.

I thought OBR was based more on an Asian culture rather than Greece or Rome. If so, bows are more likely imo.

8 hours ago, IronVIke said:

However, this would mean a shift from which armies have been associated with Chamon up until now. Yes, Skaven are present there, but the main factions figthing over that realm have been KO and Tzeench.

Boyz, do you think we are going to have a new Battlescroll?

Is 8 of January, the last one was the 14 of September.

Do you think they aren't going to balance AOS again because the campaing? Or maybe because they haven't enought data... xD

I'm good with the anual general handbook, but only if we have the Battlescrolls balancing a bit every 3 months... No need big changes, but... the lower factions usually need this changes.

Edited by Iradekhorne

3 minutes ago, Iradekhorne said:

Boyz, do you think we are going to have a new Battlescroll?

Personally I think it will be towards end of this month as I think it’s the last one before next edition. 

However, most people are back at work this week, so it could be this week if they don’t need to do much more to it! 🤣

37 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Personally I think it will be towards end of this month as I think it’s the last one before next edition. 

However, most people are back at work this week, so it could be this week if they don’t need to do much more to it! 🤣

I really hope so xD. Some of the new stuff, particulary CoS and the new Ironjawz Range need a sustancial price reduction xD.

Stormcasts and Sylvaneth need a bit help too. The rest of armys I feel pretty balanced in general except for krules. They need also a new range of miniatures, is pretty hard balance the actual army at this point because they are cheap enough, if you low more his points, the lists are going to explode with infinite spam of that units xD.

Also, you feel skavens as a rework are one of the Factions?

You don't think it can be a whole new faction?

AOS 1.0 was Storm vs khorne, but a really whole new range of demons. (Chaos)

AOS 2.0 was Storm vs Nighaunt. (Death)

AOS 3.0 was Storm vs Kruleboyz, a new army. (Destruction)

I feel like AOS 4.0 Is going to be somting chaos, but new too, like Chaos Dwarfs or maybe... Chaos Umbraneth?

We have a lot of posibilities to entirely new armys.

• Umbraneth
  • New Pirate Grots
  • Drogruks (The kragnos one ppl, I don't remember well the word).
  • New Grugni Dwarves.
  • Chaos Dwarves
  • A completly new race.

They can also expand some old race.

• Rats
  • Sylvaneth
  • Kruleboyz
  • Idoneth
  • Osiarchs
  • Nurgle Mortal range
  • More ztorm boiz more MOREE

But I feel like is going to be a new army.

Edited by Iradekhorne
Add withoud double post
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Iradekhorne said:

I really hope so xD. Some of the new stuff, particulary CoS and the new Ironjawz Range need a sustancial price reduction xD.

Stormcasts and Sylvaneth need a bit help too. The rest of armys I feel pretty balanced in general except for krules. They need also a new range of miniatures, is pretty hard balance the actual army at this point because they are cheap enough, if you low more his points, the lists are going to explode with infinite spam of that units xD.

Also, you feel skavens as a rework are one of the Factions?

You don't think it can be a whole new faction?

AOS 1.0 was Storm vs khorne, but a really whole new range of demons. (Chaos)

AOS 2.0 was Storm vs Nighaunt. (Death)

AOS 3.0 was Storm vs Kruleboyz, a new army. (Destruction)

I feel like AOS 4.0 Is going to be somting chaos, but new too, like Chaos Dwarfs or maybe... Chaos Umbraneth?

We have a lot of posibilities to entirely new armys.

• Umbraneth
  • New Pirate Grots
  • Drogruks (The kragnos one ppl, I don't remember well the word).
  • New Grugni Dwarves.
  • Chaos Dwarves
  • A completly new race.

They can also expand some old race.

• Rats
  • Sylvaneth
  • Kruleboyz
  • Idoneth
  • Osiarchs
  • Nurgle Mortal range
  • More ztorm boiz more MOREE

But I feel like is going to be a new army.

AoS 4 starter set is already super confirmed to be Stormcast vs Skaven

1 minute ago, JerekKruger said:

Now I regret voting for him in miniature of the year 😆

I cannot find a pic of him next to Tahlia... but seems pretty small in comparison with a 15 € difference in price.