The Rumour Thread

7 minutes ago, Vagard said:

Of course it is a "free" addition to all the army's stuff, always nice to have new ways of playing the army and a kind of fresh air for a 3 years old battletome. 

But they totally know what they are doing. I am not yet 100% sure about what will be allowed to play in this army of renown as we don't have the rules yet but it is made to sell more dragons in the end, related to the lore or not. 

It is not that we didnt have full Dragon armies already, many still own them and they will be able to try this Army of Renown. I think Armies of renown are for people with already finished armies to give them new way to play. I doubt it is marketed for new players becuase at time you finish army rules would prob be negated with new eddition.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Aleser said:

It is not that we didnt have full Dragon armies already, many still own them and they will be able to try this Army of Renown. I think Armies of renown are for people with already finished armies to give them new way to play. I doubt it is marketed for new players becuase at time you finish army rules would prob be negated with new eddition.

Of course, by definition, a new player might not be aware of the last part, but that's another discussion.

The problem with the reasoning is that: ok it's not for new players, it's for players who already have a full dragon army. But then, the main character is bundled with... two more dragons.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I don't consider two dragons 75. I consider them 3 Stormbringer issues, which is half that.

But given that we are currently in issue...6? (At least in Spain), that would mean that you could get those dragons in around a year and a half. Not worth the wait, imho, especially if you get a nice discount from your local store.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Vagard said:

[...] but it is made to sell more dragons in the end, related to the lore or not. 

Erm, and? Is this some kind of problem? If GW doesn't sell stuff for profit, what's their purpose in life? How would they exist?

And it's all optional anyway. You don't have to buy the box, you don't have to play the AoR. You don't lose out, they're not replacing anything, they're an addition people are more than free to ignore. I'm sorry for being a bit thick here, but I seriously can't see a problem in any of this.

• Like 3

To me it is like a hidden overcosted DLC. Yes the rules are free, yes there's no obligation to play that way, It is optionnal and very cool. 

BUT to play this new free content, you have to buy at least the new box and more dragons if you don't have enough. I relate it to the last Total war Warhammer DLC which crate a shitstorm against Creative Assembly because of the price. Yes it is an additionnal content and you don't need it to play the game, but this does not justify the price to pay to play it. 

I guess people with many dragons will be happy to play this army of renown but those who have too few won't buy 2-3 boxes more to play it imo. Bit sad when you see how many warscrolls we have in the BT.

Once more we don't know if dracoth will be added to the army of renown yet (in which case my contrariety will be eased). 

-> the argument that GW needs to make money is not receivable to me, it have been use too much to justify things that are not justifiable. They do make profit, they are in a oligopolistic market and they probably have more than 50% of its shares. They set up their own prices and people follow because no one on the market can carry their jockstrap. 

Anyways sorry for the digression, just a SCE player desperately in need for new rules and sad to can't play them when they are finally here... 😢 

Edited by Vagard
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

95 in the end. Prices this week has been quite high in some stuff. I am specially shocked with Blacktalon, Tahlia and Ionus.

Funny, my group in the US is talking about how good a deal the Ionus box is. 

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

I don't consider two dragons 75. I consider them 3 Stormbringer issues, which is half that.

We don't have that in the US AFAIK. 

8 minutes ago, Vagard said:

To me it is like a hidden overcosted DLC. Yes the rules are free, yes there's no obligation to play that way, It is optionnal and very cool. 

BUT to play this new free content, you have to buy at least the new box and more dragons if you don't have enough. I relate it to the last Total war Warhammer DLC which crate a shitstorm against Creative Assembly because of the price. Yes it is an additionnal content and you don't need it to play the game, but this does not justify the price to pay to play it. 

I guess people with many dragons will be happy to play this army of renown but those who have too few won't buy 2-3 boxes more to play it imo. Bit sad when you see how many warscrolls we have in the BT.

Once more we don't know if dracoth will be added to the army of renown yet (in which case my contrariety will be eased). 

-> the argument that GW needs to make money is not receivable to me, it have been use too much to justify things that are not justifiable. They do make profit, they are in a oligopolistic market and they probably have more than 50% of its shares. They set up their own prices and people follow because no one on the market can carry their jockstrap. 

Anyways sorry for the digression, just a SCE player desperately in need for new rules and sad to can't play them when they are finally here... 😢 

I'd wait until we see it - but it's just meant to be fun. Stormcast are actually in a decent spot right now after the last battlescroll, are getting two new units in this book, and are getting new units in June and a new book in August/September next year. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dmorley21 said:

I'd wait until we see it - but it's just meant to be fun. Stormcast are actually in a decent spot right now after the last battlescroll, are getting two new units in this book, and are getting new units in June and a new book in August/September next year. 

Yep the new dragon is beautiful and many other army didn't even had their name mentioned in the DB series so that's super cool! It's just how niche is the army of renown that tickles me but anyways I will just play Ionus in a classic army base that's no big deal 

Edited by Vagard

GW are undeniably trying to encourage people to spend more money but they are pretty transparent at what they are doing. Everyone will be able to see all the rules on pre-order day. These books rarely go out of print and none of the box sets have sold out particularly quickly. As for GW minis, they are what they are. Aside from the finecast fiasco, I've always got exactly what I paid for. This is fundamentally different from video games or indeed anything electronic, which can have bugs or defects that you might not see until months after you buy the product. 

I wish GW products were cheaper but it's not something that I find terribly upsetting. We're not talking about medicine or electricity bills, but about plastic toys for adults. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I was going to grab the Blacktalons but not at that price. Especially with ordering Fulgrim this week.

I appreciate hobby is a luxury product and not a necessity but holy wallet robbery Batman, have they dialled up the price again. Starting new armies does feel cost prohibitive. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sigmarusvult said:

It's a mechanic inspired from the Nurgle disease points. It's annoying at first but you get used to it.

I play quite frequently the Emeral Host in Nighthaunt. I still keep forgetting to allocate the mortal wounds at the end of a round. This is a moehill I shall bite my lip on.

• Haha 3

Just now, chosen_of_khaine said:

I dunno, maybe making a good game without fleecing players for as much money as possible?

At least the warscrolls are free unlike 40k, GW treats 40k players like addicted whales.

Which sadly it is what they are in most of the cases I know.

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, chosen_of_khaine said:

I dunno, maybe making a good game without fleecing players for as much money as possible?

Once again, with a feeling: Games Worksop is a model making company.

Everything else is an extra to support and maximise the sales of plastic models. This really shouldn't be this hard to comprehend.

And the markup? Well, blame capitalism, because there's absolutely nothing unique about the way GW markets and sells their products. People buy Citadel models because they want to own those particular models. And GW will sell them for as much as people will continue to spend. GW as a company has no obligation to provide services or ensure their product is affordable to the masses. It's not food, it's not basic clothing. Why don't you go and have the same argument with Apple about the pricing of their phones and laptops? Or with Leica about their cameras? Or Bang & Olufsen about their audio equipment?

• Like 4
  • Confused 7