The Rumour Thread

17 minutes ago, EntMan said:

So please could someone remind me what hints @Whitefang has given about Sylvaneth/Kurnothi?

They've stated that Kurnothi can be anyone who worships Kurnothi, not just Sylvaneth or Aelves.

If I remember correctly they've said something is coming up for Sylvaneth. But have they said specifically it'll be Kurnothi? And if it's part of Dawnbringers?

Whitefang rarely says anything directly. Several months ago they said something is coming for Kurnothi and later clarified that Kurnothi isn't just satyr like creatures. 

Other things mostly come from their likes. From them we can infer that something is coming for Dawnbringers but it won't include Kurnoth himself. They haven't given any indication as to the size of the release so it could be anything from a single hero to something Ironjawz sized or even bigger. 

Edited by Chikout
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Whitefang rarely says anything directly. Several months ago they said something is coming for Kurnothi and later clarified that Kurnothi isn't just satyr like creatures. 

Other things mostly come from their likes. From them we can infer that something is coming for Dawnbringers but it won't include Kurnoth himself. They haven't given any indication as to the size of the release so it could be anything from a single hero to something Ironjawz sized or even bigger. 

I did ask if we would get a Kurnoth model and got a laughing emoji from whitefang which I thought meant a no. However it was later pointed out that this meant that its hard to say right or wrong but that there is certainly a happy time ahead. 

• LOVE IT! 1

We've been talking recently about Skavens and SCE renovation assuming that both would be in the new edition box, but what about that 'new edition new army in the launching box' pattern we had so far? I think we've missed it in the recent days speculation.

Maybe a new outstanding army would be the real mindblowing, and SCE vs Malerion would be Order vs Order, to finish the cycle.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EntMan said:

So please could someone remind me what hints @Whitefang has given about Sylvaneth/Kurnothi?

They've stated that Kurnothi can be anyone who worships Kurnothi, not just Sylvaneth or Aelves.

If I remember correctly they've said something is coming up for Sylvaneth. But have they said specifically it'll be Kurnothi? And if it's part of Dawnbringers?

5l6N2CI.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ejecutor said:

We've been talking recently about Skavens and SCE renovation assuming that both would be in the new edition box, but what about that 'new edition new army in the launching box' pattern we had so far? I think we've missed it in the recent days speculation.

Maybe a new outstanding army would be the real mindblowing, and SCE vs Malerion would be Order vs Order, to finish the cycle.

Whitefang has implied multiple times now that the starter box is going to be SCE vs Skaven, which is why that's the predominant discussion.

I don't know if they'd ever do Order vs Order in a starter box tbh. They've only done that once from what I can recall, with Fury of the Deep. A starter box is perfect for 'Good' vs 'Evil' faction, and the existing starter boxes are very clear in that regard. Angry berserkers, spooky ghosts and sneaky orruks are instantly recognizable and appealing to those who want to play the bad guys.

17 minutes ago, Knopers said:

Do we have any news what will be inside christmas boxes? I hope that content of OBR box will complement one nice from 2021. 

We are waiting for Valrak rumours, he said he will ask for AoS boxes this time

Edited by Aleser
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

Khorne, Nighthaunt, and Kruleboyz. One has been around forever, one was a massive range expansion for 4 units, and one was a weird sub-army. I wouldn’t say there’s a pattern of new edition, new army in the starters. 

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, dmorley21 said:

Khorne, Nighthaunt, and Kruleboyz. One has been around forever, one was a massive range expansion for 4 units, and one was a weird sub-army. I wouldn’t say there’s a pattern of new edition, new army in the starters. 

Well, both Khorne and Nighthaunt built on existing concepts. There was never a „true 100%“ Khorne army in Fantasy before that… yes, one could mark Chaos Warriors and use exclusively Khorne units and/or Khorne daemons but it‘s still a somewhat new thing.

Dunno if you could built an army solely made of specters/ghosts, I figure the situation is somewhat similar.

Anyways, I‘m happy with whatever we‘ll get. I‘d love to see Skaven but frankly the only thing I don‘t care one iota for are more Stormcast. They already have too many units. I‘d rather see (I never thought I‘d say that) more Lumineth than SCE. Malerion, Skaven, Beasts, Kurnothi, more Cities, Idoneth…. so many armies could use the next AoS box, literally every other army could use a boost more than SCE.

I know, I know, GW wants fantasy marines but AoS is not 40k and SCE are no space marines. I liked the Dominion ones but from what I know SCE units are already at a point where various units fill the same role or one is better at it anyways. Seems nonsensical… 

• Like 4

I’d be really happy to see new Stormcast as long as they replace units. I think the OG Stormcast were a miss at large whereas the new design has a much larger appeal. This is anecdotal, but I know of 4 people who have gotten into them since their redesign that wouldn’t have touched them before. And 2 were new to AoS. That’s what you want out of a starter faction.

I do think there’s design space for the Vermintide box (just what I’d call the Dominon style box) to be CoS vs Skaven while the true starter boxes are Stormcast vs Skaven - but I doubt they’d try that. 

The bottom line is until proven differently, Stormcast will always be the starter faction for Order. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dmorley21 said:

I’d be really happy to see new Stormcast as long as they replace units. I think the OG Stormcast were a miss at large whereas the new design has a much larger appeal. This is anecdotal, but I know of 4 people who have gotten into them since their redesign that wouldn’t have touched them before. And 2 were new to AoS. That’s what you want out of a starter faction.

I do think there’s design space for the Vermintide box (just what I’d call the Dominon style box) to be CoS vs Skaven while the true starter boxes are Stormcast vs Skaven - but I doubt they’d try that. 

The bottom line is until proven differently, Stormcast will always be the starter faction for Order. 

Yeah, I absolutely agree, the new SC look really great, can‘t pretend otherwise. But I feel so many other armies need new minis much, much more. I figure new SC are the fastest to create anyways as their style is well defined but it‘s a game of resources and those could be used elsewhere better at the moment.

• Like 3

4th edition could allow GW to do some cleaning in the SCE range just like they did with SM. Obviously SCE don't have 20+ y/o kits to discontinue, but the range's growth has been very anarchic over the course of the editions. Only in 2nd and 3rd ed did SCE releases start to feel more focused. I'd be down to see useless warscrolls from 1st ed get axed (like Gavriel, the Knight Questor) and some merged together (like the 3 variants of Paladins and 4(!) variants of Dracothian Guard). Tbf I don't like most of the 1st ed SCE sculpts apart from some like the Celestant, Stardrake and Palladors. They feel too much like Space Marines and less like fantasy knights (something the thunderstrike armoured Stormcasts avoided imo).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MitGas said:

Well, both Khorne and Nighthaunt built on existing concepts. There was never a „true 100%“ Khorne army in Fantasy before that… yes, one could mark Chaos Warriors and use exclusively Khorne units and/or Khorne daemons but it‘s still a somewhat new thing.

Dunno if you could built an army solely made of specters/ghosts, I figure the situation is somewhat similar.

Anyways, I‘m happy with whatever we‘ll get. I‘d love to see Skaven but frankly the only thing I don‘t care one iota for are more Stormcast. They already have too many units. I‘d rather see (I never thought I‘d say that) more Lumineth than SCE. Malerion, Skaven, Beasts, Kurnothi, more Cities, Idoneth…. so many armies could use the next AoS box, literally every other army could use a boost more than SCE.

I know, I know, GW wants fantasy marines but AoS is not 40k and SCE are no space marines. I liked the Dominion ones but from what I know SCE units are already at a point where various units fill the same role or one is better at it anyways. Seems nonsensical… 

Also, many many times we talk about the launching boxes as made for starters, but lets be honest, the launching box is the one that sales the most in comparison witht its next 3 trimmed variants, and that one is not made for newbies, being a limited one.

They could even put the launching box with two factions putting aside the Stormcast, and for the 3 little ones change one of the factions and put Stormcats on it, or even put two variants. Stormcast vs both of the launching box factions.

• Like 6

I believe AoS would benefit a lot from having a poster faction. SM is a huge factor in 40k's success and popularity. SCE have been consistently popular at events despite a fairly low win rate. While this may be due to easy access to models I also think the concept of an elite super soldier faction holds a lot of appeal to a wide audience.

I would love to see a more even spread of releases across factions but SCE being "the marines of AoS" is a necessary 'evil.' I expect we'll see a continued focus on thunderstrike units and, similar to 40k marines, a gradual removal of the distinction between thunderstrike and "firstborn" SCE. I mean, we've already gotten AoS imperial guard so it is quite clear GW wants to see if having a bigger focus on human factions will breed the same level of popularity.

TL;DR: an established poster faction will help with brand recognition and tabletop presence which ultimately will be good for AoS' popularity and growth. It all comes down to how it is handled down the line and it is fair to say there are other factions who deserve a lot more attention.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Baz said:

You see I've read that as multi kit release so something more then a hero or warcry warband.  I just feel that whitefang wouldn't have said this if it was just a one kit release but that's just my opinion. 

He clearly said that Eshin was gonna receive a small release and it was the Underworlds warband and the Deathmaster.

1 minute ago, Baz said:

Maybe but Dawnbringers book 3 could bring some further skaven releases. 

I'm saying that because Skaven players were overreacting to the Whitefang likes and they get very dissapointed when reality came out.

Release windows are the only thing that make us to especulate if something big or small is coming. The window to release the third Dawnbringers book is a small one with the GW release history. Meanwhile the forth book is coming early winter when It is a good time to a big release.

1 hour ago, Nezzhil said:

I'm saying that because Skaven players were overreacting to the Whitefang likes and they get very dissapointed when reality came out.

Release windows are the only thing that make us to especulate if something big or small is coming. The window to release the third Dawnbringers book is a small one with the GW release history. Meanwhile the forth book is coming early winter when It is a good time to a big release.

Well the October preview can't come soon enough!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lele said:

AOS 3.0 have a focus on many behemoths and strong models, so hope 4.0 will be something different. Hope there will be Void-Things war theme in AOS 4.0, or.....weaponry and more spell theme??

AoS 3.0 started with Behemoths and Monstruous Rampage, but 2.0 and Andtor Battlescroll had their own focus on Magic.

It is time for WAR MACHINES!

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Nezzhil said:

While caution about upcoming releases is definitely a good idea, the only predictable thing about GW release windows is how unpredictable they can be sometimes. GW never puts out new minis in December but Magnus came out in December, the first plastic Primarch and arguably one of GW's biggest releases ever. In the first three months of this year GW released almost double the number of kits they did last year. 

We don't even know for sure if Kurnothi are coming with book 3 or indeed if they are coming this year at all. 

The Legion imperialis release has been delayed but is still due to come out this year. That means something else will get bumped. We could see book 3 moved to the book 4 slot or even both of them moved to next year.

As I guess I'd say Kurnothi will get 1-4 kits with book 3 but I don't think anyone who doesn't have direct knowledge could make a more accurate claim then that. 

• Like 3

About starter box , stormcast can stay on AoS starter box as they are poster boy .
but it would be nice if they use different faction for underworld  and warcry starter boxes . I don’t see why stormcast should be on those 2 games starter boxes 

Edited by Grunbag
  • Like 3